PDA

View Full Version : "Un"perfectness of PowerBook G4

yamadataro
Dec 1, 2002, 05:33 AM
I've owned two PowerBook G4s and I had always thought it was as close as it could get as a notebook computer.

But after spending a couple of years with PBG4, I've changed my mind.

Here's my impression: Is Apple's definition of good design "looks beautiful when you buy it, and get so messed up after a months of use"??? Guys! Thinks of their design of recent years:

- PowerBook G4 works super but the paint chips off like hell!
- iPod works super but it scraches like hell.

I, as a former Industrial Designer, have to assume that they know what happens when they PAINT metal. Of course it chips off! I can NOT give an agly computer like this to friends, let alone selling it!

I own a PowerBook G3 and its scraches are not distinct and there's no chip-offs. So in terms of its appearance after years of use, G3 is the winner.

I've always thought that G4 is so perfect that Apple will have a big problem changing its design marketing-wise, but now I think G4 is so not perfect! Man! My PBG4 is getting so chipped off!!! I've bought TiPaint, but it should have been unnecessary from the begining!

edesignuk
Dec 1, 2002, 05:37 AM
From what I've read and heard the one major downfall if the Ti is the paint problem, which is such a shame.
Have they fixed this problem at all over the different generations of Ti's? How are the brand new ones getting along?
It's time to step forward Ti owners, and tell us just how badly chipped your Ti is :)

iGav
Dec 1, 2002, 06:54 AM
Well...... I've owned my PowerBook G4 since they were released (mines from the first shippment into the UK) and mine still looks brand new........no scratches!!

I know some people have experienced problems with the paint finish of their TiBooks, but this doesn't affect every machine made!!

But what is the alternative with Titanium??? un-treated Titanium marks as soon as you touch it, and it's incredibly difficult to clean your paw prints off! If they change the material then it loses one of it's major gimmicks and appealing selling points!!

Maybe if people took alittle more care of umpteen thousands of $ worth of hardware, then the problem of scratches wouldn't really arise... If you treat anything like ***** then it'll get damaged, if you take alittle care then the TiBook will look as good after 20 months of hard use as when it was new!! (mine does, eye's did) In this respect it is no more different than any other product on earth!!

Because of all that care, I've not had one ounce of a problem finding a buyer for mine and getting top-dollar for it... and I look forward to receiving my new PowerBook in the next couple of weeks!

Falleron
Dec 1, 2002, 06:54 AM
I dont have a TiBook but I thought that they were a lot better than they used to be. As long as your are really careful with your laptop then you should not have a problem. Just make sure you have a decent case for carrying it around.

Megaquad
Dec 1, 2002, 07:12 AM
I want to buy Ti 1GHz but these things scare me a lot! Maybe those new Powerbooks dont have the problem?

yamadataro
Dec 1, 2002, 09:09 AM
As I understand, people who does NOT bring ther TiBook all over the place and people who takes care of it like hell, have had no problem with pait chipping. I know this woman in Japan who's objective is to selll her Book when she switches to a newer one. Her machine is totally fresh bacause she has bought all sorts of protection products (e.g. trackpad film, alminum body protector etc). But what the hell is the point of owning a TiBook if you have to buy tons of protection and don't take it around!!!

I think the paint issue has been resolved a little. But my new 800MHz model has started to chip like a month ago. Painted body is still a painted body. I assume newer 1GHz one will have the exact same problem.

I must admit that silver body looks nice as hell, but what's the point of it when it starts to look SUPER agly after a couple of months of heavy use. I took my PowerBook G3 to backpacking trips to Europe and to SouthEast Asia, but it still looks fine. But G4 after the same kinda single trip down to Bali is a desaster.

I'll try to post a photo of my first TiBook 400MHz (2 years old) later.
Only then some of you will know what we are talking about here...

Well. Don't take me wrong guys! I'm happy with my TiBook. I'm just against the "perfect notebook computer" nonsense. It's not perfect. And that makes me expect Apple to release something better.

yamadataro
Dec 1, 2002, 09:19 AM
I've owned Duo210, PowerBook 2400, PowerBook G3 and PowerBook G4 over the last 10 years. And of course I take decent care of it by putting them in a anti-shock carry case all the time. G4 is the very first one I've ever had this kind of bad paint issue though.

I'm under the impression that Apple is moving toward good-looking "fragile" machines. scrachy-scrachy G4 Cube and iPod as well as my TiBooks has made me realize this Apple design trend.

As a hardcore design industry guy myself, these machines are dairy tools rather than art pieces. I expect them to be tough enough. I know Apple can do it better.

howard
Dec 1, 2002, 10:04 AM
my first reaction to all this was, don't worry about the appearance when you have an awesome machine!...but i maybe i don't know exactly what it looks like, a picture would be helpful. I don't have a tibook, i have an ibook that i practically beat up and not a scratch is on it

yamadataro
Dec 1, 2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by howard
my first reaction to all this was, don't worry about the appearance when you have an awesome machine!...but i maybe i don't know exactly what it looks like, a picture would be helpful. I don't have a tibook, i have an ibook that i practically beat up and not a scratch is on it

Ah, this is a nice thing to hear. Maybe I'm worrying too much.

I usually don't care about my machine's appearance. But I take it to presentations at my clients' and when I have a beaten up TiBook it doesn't look so professional.

It's kind of like a dirty shirt. When you are at home wearing it, it's OK. But you can not wear it to your clients'.

chmorley
Dec 1, 2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by yamadataro
As I understand, people who does NOT bring ther TiBook all over the place and people who takes care of it like hell, have had no problem with pait chipping...Not so. While there are many stories of people who haven't had a problem, there are still many who have, even if their TiBook was only sitting on a desktop.

I have owned my TiBook 667 for over a year no, and it looks fairly beat up. The first time I brought it to work, people 'ooh'-ed and 'ahh'-ed. Last time I brought it in, people immediately said, "What's with all the chipping paint?"

The good news is Apple will fix this if your computer is still under warranty. While it has not been reported here, it has been at MacNN, PowerPage, and elsewhere. Apple has apparently discovered a problem in the preparation process that has led to bubbling and chipping in the paint. Here (http://powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10221) is a related story at PowerPage.

I purchased the extended warranty with this in mind. I'm planning on bringing it in in the next week.

Chris

yamadataro
Dec 1, 2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by chmorley

The good news is Apple will fix this if your computer is still under warranty. While it has not been reported here, it has been at MacNN, PowerPage, and elsewhere. Apple has apparently discovered a problem in the preparation process that has led to bubbling and chipping in the paint. Here (http://powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10221) is a related story at PowerPage.

I purchased the extended warranty with this in mind. I'm planning on bringing it in in the next week.

Wow! Are you serious about this???
Mmmmm, I'm seriosuly thinking about buying extra warranty now.
Thank a million for the info, Chris!

iGav
Dec 1, 2002, 11:24 AM
Apple will only repair it under warranty if the chipping is caused by a fault in production, not if you treat it rough.... exactly the same as motor car manufacturer warranties, they won't fix paint work under warranty if the damage is caused by gravel etc etc..... They'll be able to tell the difference between flaky paint and chips caused by impact damage etc!

I can only speak from my experience with my TiBook and it still looks pukka..... I don't have anything special to transport it around.... just a standard black leather padded laptop bag and I put my TiBook in a bubble wrap sleeve that Apple Care and DHL supply when you have to send it in for repair!! But it does get dragged around everywhere with me, through London Tube rush hour every day (worse than your average Grid-Iron), and is used everywhere from offices, to parks, to beaches, to trains to bars... literally everywhere!! I wipe it down once a week with 'Mr Muscle' glass cleaner!! It is used as a total desktop replacement machine and it certainly see's hard use (I'm a freelancer, different offices everyday)

Obviously the Tonka Truck PowerBook G3 will be tougher, it's much thicker, much heavier, part covered with rubber and plastic...... but I very much doubt Apple could every have manufactured the PowerBook G4 from the same materials as the PowerBook G3 and made it as strong as its current form!! The R & D that has gone into the PowerBook G4 is huge.... it's obvious just from lifting the keyboard the length Apple went to in terms of engineering!!

I personally don't feel that the TiBook is fragile, or as fragile as people would think judging by the thinness of it, but I'd always take the TiBook over the hulking piece of Tonka Toy that was the PowerBook G3...... I've owned both and I don't see any reason to consider the PowerBook G3 as a better everyday portable!

Maybe it's my DHL bubble-wrap that keeps mine looking young and stunning!! heh heh!

Although I'd love Apple to offer a hard-chrome version of the TiBook.... that'd totally rule!!

yamadataro
Dec 1, 2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
Although I'd love Apple to offer a hard-chrome version of the TiBook.... that'd totally rule!!

Uh, yeah, that would be nice!

Up until Apple comes up with a new design, maybe I should just sand off all of the paint and kiss this paint agony a good-bye :D

Huh, where was my sanding paper???

cr2sh
Dec 1, 2002, 11:57 AM
Doesn't someone sell some sort of wrap, or soft shell for the TiBook? Maybe a soft velvet padded-sleeve that you slide the book into before you toss it in your bookbag? Anyone happen to have a link to something like this?

chmorley
Dec 1, 2002, 12:01 PM
Apple will only repair it under warranty if the chipping is caused by a fault in production, not if you treat it rough.... exactly the same as motor car manufacturer warranties, they won't fix paint work under warranty if the damage is caused by gravel etc etc..... They'll be able to tell the difference between flaky paint and chips caused by impact damage etc!When people first started to complain, Apple regularly told people they were treating their Powerbooks too rough. Now they know that's not the case. Too many people have had this problem. The fact that a few have not proves only that they were able to get it right occasionally. They are now covering paint damage--period.

This is a recent change. It's great that Apple has stepped up and made things right. My TiBook is my favorite computer of all time. I'm looking forward to it looking like it did when I bought it.

Chris

FelixDerKater
Dec 1, 2002, 12:28 PM
I have one of the originial 500MHz TiBooks. I take it all over the place and it sometimes takes a bit of a beating. It has no scratches on it. I don't see any problems at all with it. It has been in a bag with books and notebooks and they did no damage to it. I don't see what is so wrong with the paint. Maybe mine is the exception to the rule or maybe you'll are extremely rough on your Ti's.

iGav
Dec 1, 2002, 03:04 PM
When people first started to complain, Apple regularly told people they were treating their Powerbooks too rough. Now they know that's not the case. Too many people have had this problem. The fact that a few have not proves only that they were able to get it right occasionally. They are now covering paint damage--period.

This is a recent change. It's great that Apple has stepped up and made things right. My TiBook is my favorite computer of all time. I'm looking forward to it looking like it did when I bought it.

Chris

You'll probably find that there are more machines with NO flaky paint damage than those with the production paint fault!!!

But if I had a machine that had that problem I'd want a replacement....... as long as I hadn't been treating like a tw@t that is.... heh heh

chmorley
Dec 1, 2002, 03:51 PM
You'll probably find that there are more machines with NO flaky paint damage than those with the production paint fault!!!

But if I had a machine that had that problem I'd want a replacement....... as long as I hadn't been treating like a tw@t that is.... heh heh Hard to say, really. If you look at the forums at PowerPage (a site that "specializes" in portables), people almost universally complain about it. However, it is also possible that the people without complaints are less likely to write anything. I think the fact that Apple has acknowledged a flaw in production is pretty telling, though.

I have owned three different laptops and have never had any scratches or dings on any of them. I have treated this one more carefully than those, and it looks more damaged. This problem is extremely well-documented, so I think it's stupid to blame users. I'm not sure why it would matter if it is happening a majority or a minority of the time. It's happening a lot. That's unacceptable. Apple occasionally makes a mistake.

Chris

iGav
Dec 1, 2002, 04:44 PM
Hard to say, really. If you look at the forums at PowerPage (a site that "specializes" in portables), people almost universally complain about it. However, it is also possible that the people without complaints are less likely to write anything. I think the fact that Apple has acknowledged a flaw in production is pretty telling, though.

I have owned three different laptops and have never had any scratches or dings on any of them. I have treated this one more carefully than those, and it looks more damaged. This problem is extremely well-documented, so I think it's stupid to blame users. I'm not sure why it would matter if it is happening a majority or a minority of the time. It's happening a lot. That's unacceptable. Apple occasionally makes a mistake.

Chris

A scratch is very, very different to flakey paint though.......... if you're (every man, I'm not referring to you specifically) scratching your machine be more careful...... if your laptop paint is flakey then send it back to Apple and reject it, but as you say, those that don't have problems have nothing to report about, so out of all the PowerBooks sold, is there over half of the sales represented in complaints to make it a majority manufacturing problem?? Apple isn't faultless no one has ever said they were, but I personally don't think this problem is as widespread as we're made to believe!!

Now I'm very much aware that the problem is well documented, but some of these reports sound like people are expecting the PowerBook G4 to be bulliet proof... or to be as scratch resistant as a moulded coloured plastic laptop, even though they are aware that it is a coated metal finish and thus that it is more susceptible to damage (just like cars are!!)

Just because Apple have acknowledged a flaw on certain batch models it doesn't mean that it is inherent throughout the entire production run (it certainly isn't), then Apple is no different to a BMW or Mercedes with a faulty paint finish, this does occur on certain cars produced on a certain day but doesn't mean that every particular model was affected!!

With regards to your other laptops......were either of those laptops Titanium??? if not.... you can't really compare them!!

But if your laptop is as battered as you say but not through ill treatment then send it back to Apple and get them to right it!

Problem solved! Same goes for the other guy with the scratched TiBook!!

Choppaface
Dec 1, 2002, 08:54 PM
pick up a tom binh monolith, cut some plastic panes to reinforce the corrugated plastic (especially for the sides), and you've got a pretty solid, light case that's hardly bigger than the computer. (this is what I did for my 800)

http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=TB0330&Product_Count=6&Category_Code=300

I agree, they could've put more work into making the thing sturdy.. I beat the crap out of my lombard (lost all feet, even the rubber on the top is partially scratched off..dropped it a few times) and it still looks reasonably fine, but more importantly it still works great. I don't think the tibook could take the same beating and still work, much less maintain its aesthetics to the same extent. apple's making trophies when there are still a lot of users that want tools. i read that jobs turned down making the painted carbon fiber piece metal because it showed fingerprints....just include some sort of polishing cloth then... at three grand and basically no software package, they could throw some extras in there..

shadowfax0
Dec 1, 2002, 10:18 PM
if you get a nice carrying case chips shouldn't be an issue. My father brings his all over the world with him and uses it all the time, and by simply having a nice, compact little laptop sleeve his looks brand new -- and his is the first TiBook production (500 MHz)

Rajj
Dec 2, 2002, 07:02 PM
Apple really takes care of individuals when it comes to warranty repairs… for instance, My screen on the TiBook started to pixilate, so they replaced it super quick, and they noticed that my case was scratched and chipped, so they replaced it without me saying anything about!!;) :D

BUT the only Beef I have with Apple on the TiBook is, the Goddamn Airport reception, especially in Tokyo…it really blows, compared to Las Vegas!!!! There is too much RF interference in Tokyo!! (It really pisses me off!!):mad: :mad: :mad:

digitalgiant
Dec 2, 2002, 07:42 PM
the paint on mine is coming off where my wrists sit. And on some other places but what really gets me is where my dog stepped on the lid right next to the apple sybol. She put a nice little dent on my nice little PB. But even with all the paint comming off it and the dent I just think it has charater. My Dad and I can tell whose is whose by the way the paint is comming off our laptops. Its still the best computer I have ever owned and would give it up for anything (well mabye a faster Ti).

DreaminDirector
Dec 2, 2002, 10:57 PM
I have an TiBook 800 and I can't wait for the paint to peel. Mind you, I am not doing anything to speed that process, but I want to do some custom painting on my TiBook. I was thinking of painting it a gun smoke silver or even a deep red. There was a thread about this a few months back, when some member (I forgot thier name...) painted thiers and posted pictures. I'll try to find the thread and post it here. It is, of course, dangerous and voids the warrenty (I think....)

moby1
Dec 2, 2002, 11:21 PM
I've owned 3 G4 PowerBooks; 500, 550 & 800.

None of them had any scatches.

I'm looking forward to ordering my 4th G4 PB soon.

Just buy a good tote like the Brenthavens and take reasonable care of your machine.

If you can't take 'reasonable care' buy an IBM T-series - also titanium and a bit sturdier...but then your stuck with a PC.

:rolleyes:

BenderBot1138
Dec 6, 2002, 03:38 AM
Most of your points focus on esoteric issues, which are valid concerns as well as performance issues.

Websters defines "Paint" as: A liquid mixture, usually of a solid pigment in a liquid vehicle, used as a decorative or protective coating.

Given this definition it appears that the paint on your Titanium has functioned perfectly Yamadataro. It has both made your Powerbook look impressive, and protected it's surface (evidenced by the chipping that happened when you banged your Powerbook agains hard objects).

As you can see from many Powerbook owner's opinions, we are completely satisfied that Apple Computer Inc. has made the paint on the new Titanium Powerbooks to a very high quality that satifies its sensible customers, and certainly that the Titanium Powerbook is superior to PC portables in every way that matters.

That said, yours is a good post Yamadataro which demonstrates a single Powerbook owners concerns. It is interesting to see other personalities speak to perceptions of their high end Apple Products, and certainly the responders to your original post above have done their best to provide solice for a what appears to be a difficult situation for you. You describe yourself as a "hardcord industry guy", but don't let the fact you work with industrial products lead you to be confused about the fact you are dealing with a very high level of technological achievement in the Powerbook, that bears no resemblence to the industrial products you use. A Powerbook is not a beam of steel, or singlular minded computer control system for an assembly line (although you could probably control an entire factory from one).

You said you use a case. But that is not why you are getting chips on your Powerbook. There is a serious level of goal incongruancy between your handling of your Powerbook (imperfect) and the desired outcome you desire for it's appearance (pristine). If you want it to have no chips, take greater care with it. The same caution applies to trying to find a happy medium between how you treat your iPod and the way it looks as well. I empathize with your concerns, but expect entropy to be a Physical Law that no Industrial Designer or Company can violate.

Your worries about the Powerbook are like complaining you have a scar from careless behavior on your body, or that your hair is getting grey. Good worries to be sure - mostly because they make us take better care of ourselves.

:cool:

cr2sh
Dec 6, 2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by BenderBot1138
Websters defines "Paint" as: A liquid mixture, usually of a solid pigment in a liquid vehicle, used as a decorative or protective coating.

Hey BenderBot, why not post this annoying message a fourth time? You've edited it enough times to confim how anal you are. Try harder next time.

BenderBot1138
Dec 6, 2002, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh

Hey BenderBot, why not post this annoying message a fourth time? You've edited it enough times to confim how anal you are. Try harder next time.

Sorry cr2sh... already asked moderator to remove the duplicates. Didn't mean to affect your sensibilities... will remail the moderator...

Also sorry for your "anal" fixation, but surely you can focus your attention on more easy going things, without associating everything in your life with your bodily orifaces. :D

I'd be interested to hear what you have to say cr2sh about the actual posts on this thread rather than the format of the threads such as my mistaken reposting. I've read and liked some of your previous postings... although they do seem to be inordinately focussed on "anal" issues... ;) (btw... thought your suggestion about a softshell or sleeve for the Powerbook was interesting... know where to get one?).

cr2sh
Dec 6, 2002, 06:01 AM
I'd be interested to hear what you have to say cr2sh about the actual posts on this thread rather than the format of the threads such as my mistaken reposting. I've read and liked some of your previous postings... although they do seem to be inordinately focussed on "anal" issues... ;) (btw... thought your suggestion about a softshell or sleeve for the Powerbook was interesting... know where to get one?).

Wow, you love to edit don't you?
I'm not going to dismiss a poorly thought out design as entropy.

BenderBot1138
Dec 6, 2002, 06:08 AM
yea... editor at heart... anything and everything... just call me Supereditor! The reposts happend during the server update this morning. My bad...

Good one about the entropy ;)

chmorley
Dec 6, 2002, 08:23 AM
I'll reply, BenderBot. You don't know what you're talking about.

You make assumptions about why yamadataro's TiBook's paint is flaking. You assume that his is exactly as durable as yours. This appears not to be the case. Hundreds upin hundreds (including myself) of people have registered the exact same complaint. I have never dropped by TiBook, yet its paint has chipped a lot.

I am thoroughly enamored with my TiBook. There is not another another computer I wish I had bought. AND it has some problems with the paint that are due to manufacturing.

People make car analogies here all the time. Imagine if your brand new BMW had paint chipping after 6 months, and the response of people was, "So what! It still works, right?" Sounds pretty stupid, right? Even if 90% of the computers were manufactured correctly (and it's probably much lower than that, in reality), the 10% of people who received computers with poorly manufactured plastic pieces have a legitimate beef, and the 90% will not understand. Those among them who are quick to jump to conclusions will make assumptions about how it happened without asking questions.

Like you did.

So anyway, I am glad you don't have the chipping paint problem. However, slow yourself down and ask some questions before offering that sage wisdom.

Chris

p.s., "esoteric" means (roughly) "mysterious" or "poorly understood". You probably meant "aesthetic" or "superficial".

Mr. Anderson
Dec 6, 2002, 08:29 AM
I noticed some smudge/dirt on my TiPB, on the inside edge to the left of the keyboard - I went to scrape it away and was horrified to see paint flick away. It wasn't a smudge, but an absence of paint!!!

I baby my machine, Apple just needs to get better quality paint and make the process more reliable.

D

BenderBot1138
Dec 6, 2002, 08:42 AM
I'll reply, BenderBot. You don't know what you're talking about.
Chris

p.s., "esoteric" means (roughly) "mysterious" or "poorly understood". You probably meant "aesthetic" or "superficial".

Ouch...

Interesting you read the esoteric thing as a conflicting polarizing word. The other meaning, which is positive and affirmative of Yamatagaro's concern's means is "confined to a small group."

Aesthetic and superficial would have spun a negative spin onto our Yam's concerns, that I would not have intended.

His esoteric issues, while confined to a small group, nevertheless do exist. As do your esoteric, but growing, concerns.

You said you are "throroughly enamored with your Powerbook"... are you sure you didn't mean enamelled? ;)

eyelikeart
Dec 6, 2002, 08:45 AM
I'm on my second TiBook...and all I can say is that I've been more than impressed . My first was a Rev. A 500, and my current is a Rev. B 667, which I believe is the same as Duke's?

I hope not to encounter the chipping paint syndrome which I've read has plaguesd many others...but know I'll be talking about it here if I do... ;)

chmorley
Dec 6, 2002, 09:33 AM
Interesting you read the esoteric thing as a conflicting polarizing word. The other meaning, which is positive and affirmative of Yamatagaro's concern's means is "confined to a small group." Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps the root of my misunderstanding stemmed from the rather pervasive nature of the complaint--it's akin to calling conservativism esoteric.

This is a significant problem, and has been acknowledged by Apple as such.

Chris

p.s., "enamelled"...I like it...or perhaps "disenamelated"...

continuing to lengthenize unnecessarilistically....

BenderBot1138
Dec 6, 2002, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps the root of my misunderstanding stemmed from the rather pervasive nature of the complaint--it's akin to calling conservativism esoteric.

This is a significant problem, and has been acknowledged by Apple as such.

Chris

Interesting... do you have a link to that acknowledgment by Apple you mention, or any statistics indicating that there are paint issues that are "pervasive".

I'm genuinely interested, and believe you wouldn't just make such statements without any evidence.

iGav
Dec 6, 2002, 10:49 AM
Why don't the people with the problems demand that Apple fix the problem then??? PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

WHY? WHY? WHY? :rolleyes:

chmorley
Dec 6, 2002, 08:18 PM
Interesting... do you have a link to that acknowledgment by Apple you mention, or any statistics indicating that there are paint issues that are "pervasive".

I'm genuinely interested, and believe you wouldn't just make such statements without any evidence.Nope. I wouldn't.

I can't imagine where you would find (or who would keep) good statistics on the percentage of people having this problem. However, at PowerPage (http://powerpage.org/) (which specializes in portables) this has been widely discussed. Search the forums for anything on Powerbook paint and you will turn up several threads on the topic.

As far as Apple's acknowledgment of the problem (and, as a result, deciding to stop blaming responsible owners), that has also been reported at PowerPage. You can find the story here (http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10175).

There are more confirmations of this elsewhere, but this is where I heard about it first.

Chris

chmorley
Dec 6, 2002, 08:19 PM
Why don't the people with the problems demand that Apple fix the problem then??? PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

WHY? WHY? WHY? :rolleyes: I guess I don't understand how this would work. Is this a joke?

Chris

iGav
Dec 7, 2002, 07:38 AM
I guess I don't understand how this would work. Is this a joke?

Chris

I'm referring to individual machines........ if your machine is suffering from a fault, get Apple to repair the fault, and then the problem is solved, rather than continously whining about it!! Not all PowerBooks suffer from this flackey paint syndrome, so it's likely that the problem will be solved under warranty with known problems, especially as if what's been said earlier in this thread that Apple have NO problem with repairing the fault under warranty!!

Really is quite simple!!

chmorley
Dec 7, 2002, 09:40 AM
I'm referring to individual machines........ if your machine is suffering from a fault, get Apple to repair the fault, and then the problem is solved, rather than continously whining about it!! Not all PowerBooks suffer from this flackey paint syndrome, so it's likely that the problem will be solved under warranty with known problems, especially as if what's been said earlier in this thread that Apple have NO problem with repairing the fault under warranty!!

Really is quite simple!! I understand now. Unfortunately, this problem has been denied by Apple until about the last 2 weeks. That is why people have been "continuously whining" for over a year about this problem.

Read the link I posted earlier and you will understand better.

Nice exclamation points, by the way. Very dramatic.

Chris

iGav
Dec 7, 2002, 10:46 AM
I understand now. Unfortunately, this problem has been denied by Apple until about the last 2 weeks. That is why people have been "continuously whining" for over a year about this problem.

Read the link I posted earlier and you will understand better.

Nice exclamation points, by the way. Very dramatic.

Chris

Heh heh I also like to use 'dots' or 'full stops' alot too!! :p

NNO-Stephen
Jul 9, 2003, 01:55 AM
is there a problem like this with the AlBooks? (i'm quite worried)

Wano
Jul 9, 2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen

Nope! I have a 17in Powerbook and it still looks brand new, I got it in April. There are only like two scratches on it underneath from moving it on the table, but those aren't really noticable only in certain light. One thing about it is that it starts to look dirty from fingerprint smudges cause the powerbook has such a clean and smooth texture...but all you need to do is take a damp cloth and whipe it off.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 9, 2003, 06:46 AM
I've had mine for about a year and a half and it has a few flakes, but probably because I'm taking it everywhere, using it in labs, hangars, etc. So it gets a little abused, not on purpose, but I wouldn't want anything else.....

D

NNO-Stephen
Jul 9, 2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Wano
Nope! I have a 17in Powerbook and it still looks brand new, I got it in April. There are only like two scratches on it underneath from moving it on the table, but those aren't really noticable only in certain light. One thing about it is that it starts to look dirty from fingerprint smudges cause the powerbook has such a clean and smooth texture...but all you need to do is take a damp cloth and whipe it off.

nice, thank you :D

CaVoLo
Jul 9, 2003, 03:26 PM
my friend has a powerbook g4 500mhz....and it still looks beautiful....the paint looks great....so maybe you people dont take care of your computers enough....but i dont know....maybe different computers chip worse than others

MacFan25
Jul 9, 2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
The aluminum powerbooks aren't painted. So, they aren't going to chip paint. I wonder if the paint chipping is one of the reasons Apple went aluminum instead of continuing to use the titanium-look.

MacManDan
Jul 9, 2003, 04:04 PM
My father, my friend, and I each own PowerBook G4s (each a different revision; my friend has a rev B, I have a 3rd rev PBook, and my father the latest and greatest 1Ghz model) .. and we handle our machines with nothing less than white gloves. I have the great Brenthaven backpack and not a second goes by without me ensuring that it's safe from things that could scratch it. But yet .. my friend's and mine are still flaking, scratching, etc. My father has been lucky enough to go by for 7 months without any problems. I think remarks "dont take care of your computers enough" are inappropriate assumptions on the way I take care of my computer. I think it's fair to say that some computers DO chip worse than others. (Luckily, my friend was able to get his case replaced because of the amount of bubbling and flaking his poor baby experienced. Since, I don't think he's had problems)

I think the various responses faulting the USER for the chipping paint are innappropriate for this discussion. People should realize that some machines do have this problem (even if it is a small percentage). Many of us who do have the "problem", however, search for better ways to protect the paint to the point that we're paranoid to even touch the beautiful machine. Besides the slight over-exaggeration, I take excellent care of my computer. I think it's an important issue that Apple addressed in their AluBooks and that they continue to support (by replacing some cases). The fact that they have addressed it and are willing to support it has in fact made me more secure with my Powerbook purchase and I don't find myself "whining" over the cosmetic problem.

So please, when you hear someone "whining" about the problem, instead of flaming them for abuse of their computer, try to help them realize that there are options out there (like Apple's tech support if they are under warranty!)

cubist
Jul 9, 2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
The aluminum powerbooks aren't painted. So, they aren't going to chip paint. ....

I thought the inside area, around the keyboard and trackpad, IS painted.

I suppose I ought to look at PowerPage. I'm not clear on where these chips/bubbles are occurring: on the outer case, on the lighter-colored "ring" which goes around the outside, or on the area around the keyboard/trackpad.

cubist
Jul 9, 2003, 04:53 PM
OK, the powerpage articles seem to indicate that it is the plastic outer ring, not the titanium parts, which is "delaminating". I thought the following text was interesting:

"However, he did say that it was entirely heat related and suggested I use one of the devices to raise the bottom of the PowerBook off a flat surface to provide ventilation. Makes sense to me. I'm expercting it back today or Monday and will purchase one of these."

I noticed when I used my PB on a table that the bottom got really, really hot, and that two of the tiny rubber feet were missing. I got some bigger rubber feet from Radio Shack for 89 cents and put them on. Now I have 1/4" of clearance below the machine and it stays much cooler.

5300cs
Jul 9, 2003, 07:34 PM
Here's my 550TiBook. You can see that the paint chipped off under where my right wrist goes. I don't sweat a lot and I use this machine on my desktop exclusively...

Too bad, as it looses it's design qualities when is appears like this. No other real scratches though, except on the bottom.

jazzman45
Jul 9, 2003, 07:42 PM
but hey, it's cool when you play guitar and the paint wears away from over use... only difference is if you actually do something with your computer and got something to show for it i guess.

chmorley
Jul 11, 2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 5300cs
Here's my 550TiBook. You can see that the paint chipped off under where my right wrist goes. I don't sweat a lot and I use this machine on my desktop exclusively...

Too bad, as it looses it's design qualities when is appears like this. No other real scratches though, except on the bottom. This is pretty much exactly what the damage to my machine looked like. While the "Geniuses" at the Apple store said that Apple would not replace it (as it "did not involve the functioning of the computer"), they did.

I sent in my computer because the fan wasn't working. When it was returned to me, not only had they fixed the fan, but they also replaced the outer ring of plastic and the entire deck (the titanium surrounding the keyboard, including the mouse).

Chris

G4scott
Jul 11, 2003, 04:40 PM
Apple's repair service can sometimes be really cool... I sent in an original iBook because the CD drive broke, but they also fixed some cracked plastic parts in the handle, and replaced the area around the keyboard... They were very nice indeed...

Also, with my newer iBook, I sent it in to have the CD drive replaced (there's something with these drives...), and the found my Monty Python quest for the holy grail DVD in the case I sent the iBook in, and they replaced the rubber feet on the bottom, and did a nice job of cleaning the computer up...

As for PowerBooks, the new ones seem indestructible. There is no paint to chip off at all, and they are very scratch resistant. I've had my PowerBook G4 since April, I think, and it has no scratches at all. I take it everywhere too. I carry it around at school, and in my backpack, with no problems... The only thing wrong is the feet. They fell off, and now I'm afraid to set the PowerBook down on a hard surface, as it may get scratched, but rubber feet aren't hard to replace...

ibilly
Jul 11, 2003, 05:45 PM
it sounds like apple's fixed the paint of the new tiBooks, but how do the new alBooks (12", 17") hold up?