Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morpheus167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I have a relatively new 17 inch G4 Powerbook. (3 months old). It has worked brilliantly, up until a few hours ago. All of a sudden I am having problems with 7 keys on my keyboard... the 3 keys to the right of the P, the single&double quote key, and the 3 keys to the right of the M key. When ever I press them I get some weird text. Below is an example of what I get, instead of what I am supposed to get:

Open curly brace : ^¨
Close curly brace : çÇ
Pipe : àÀ
quotes : èÈ
question mark : éÉ

Any ideas

As a note, was using a wireless mac keyboard just before all of this started happening, but Ièm not using it any more.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Kevin

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Morpheus167 said:
I have a relatively new 17 inch G4 Powerbook. (3 months old). It has worked brilliantly, up until a few hours ago. All of a sudden I am having problems with 7 keys on my keyboard... the 3 keys to the right of the P, the single&double quote key, and the 3 keys to the right of the M key. When ever I press them I get some weird text. Below is an example of what I get, instead of what I am supposed to get:

Any ideas

As a note, was using a wireless mac keyboard just before all of this started happening, but Ièm not using it any more.

Kevin

Sounds like you are locked into an alternate keyboard. I recall in OS 9 there was some keyboard switch you could make so you can type in all these extra symbols, but forget in OS X how to get there.

sukhoi

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2005
Morpheus167 said:

Any ideas

Kevin

not sure but maybe you wanna try this...

System Prefs -> International -> input menu......

choose US then back to which ever you want....i mean play around with it...maybe its got binded to some other language...

as i said not sure it will work but best of luck...cheers

Morpheus167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
sukhoi said:
not sure but maybe you wanna try this...

System Prefs -> International -> input menu......

choose US then back to which ever you want....i mean play around with it...maybe its got binded to some other language...

as i said not sure it will work but best of luck...cheers

Thanks, that was it. Some how my keyboard was bound to Japanese... how that happened I have no idea!! I've never even opened that system pref window before.

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.