PDA

View Full Version : app to login to a relatives MB

vansouza
Dec 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
I am giving my sister my MB for Christmas and need to know if there is an app I can install on it that would allow me to logon and fix things when she has an issue... like the Mac version of PC Anywhere... thank you.

simsaladimbamba
Dec 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx) can help you with that. The free version works exceptionally well, but your sister needs to be on the other end to enable the session.

vansouza
Dec 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx) can help you with that. The free version works exceptionally well, but your sister needs to be on the other end to enable the session.

Thank you I will have a go at it...

switon
Dec 11, 2012, 02:35 PM
Hi vansouza,

...just another option...

I have no experience with TeamViewer, so I can't comment on it. It seems from what simsaladimbamba states that the TeamViewer app would require your sister to be present to authorize your use each time though.

But you can use Apple's own "Screen Sharing.app" (/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app) to screen share and administer your sister's MB from afar and without her having to be present to authenticate you. Basically, once you set it up and she gives you access for Remote Management (note: use Remote Management and not Screen Sharing in the System Preference's Sharing pane), you can then Screen Share at any time (obviously, her computer must be on or you must be able to wake it from the network) without her having to be there to authorize you.

If you also set up a VPN server (either on your sister's MB or perhaps on your sister's router as many routers provide VPN tunnels) then you can VPN in to your sister's LAN in order to administer other things on her LAN. As a last resort, the SSH (Secure SHell) program allows you to ssh into your sister's MB (by configuring the Remote Login on the Sharing pane of System Preferences) from anywhere giving you terminal access to her machine.

One of the things that works well for me is to Screen Share to a client's machine while at the same time iChat/Message/Facetime video conferencing with them. This way I can talk with the client and at the same time either watch what they are doing or manipulate their screen and cursor myself to show them how to do whatever they need. For you, you could video conference with your sister while manipulating her screen to show her how to perform some administration task. This works quite well, actually.

Of course, you will also have to allow vpn, ssh, and vnc ports through your sister's router and perform the proper NAT (Network Address Translation) in order for any of this to work. If you sister's router is an AEBS, AE, or TC, this setup is trivial using Apple's Airport Utility. If it is a third-party router, you may have to configure the ports manually (this is also potentially true for the TeamViewer too).

Good luck,
Switon

vansouza
Dec 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Most excellent thank you so very much

Hi vansouza,

...just another option...

I have no experience with TeamViewer, so I can't comment on it. It seems from what simsaladimbamba states that the TeamViewer app would require your sister to be present to authorize your use each time though.

But you can use Apple's own "Screen Sharing.app" (/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app) to screen share and administer your sister's MB from afar and without her having to be present to authenticate you. Basically, once you set it up and she gives you access for Remote Management (note: use Remote Management and not Screen Sharing in the System Preference's Sharing pane), you can then Screen Share at any time (obviously, her computer must be on or you must be able to wake it from the network) without her having to be there to authorize you.

If you also set up a VPN server (either on your sister's MB or perhaps on your sister's router as many routers provide VPN tunnels) then you can VPN in to your sister's LAN in order to administer other things on her LAN. As a last resort, the SSH (Secure SHell) program allows you to ssh into your sister's MB (by configuring the Remote Login on the Sharing pane of System Preferences) from anywhere giving you terminal access to her machine.

One of the things that works well for me is to Screen Share to a client's machine while at the same time iChat/Message/Facetime video conferencing with them. This way I can talk with the client and at the same time either watch what they are doing or manipulate their screen and cursor myself to show them how to do whatever they need. For you, you could video conference with your sister while manipulating her screen to show her how to perform some administration task. This works quite well, actually.

Of course, you will also have to allow vpn, ssh, and vnc ports through your sister's router and perform the proper NAT (Network Address Translation) in order for any of this to work. If you sister's router is an AEBS, AE, or TC, this setup is trivial using Apple's Airport Utility. If it is a third-party router, you may have to configure the ports manually (this is also potentially true for the TeamViewer too).

Good luck,
Switon