PDA

View Full Version : 'Find My iPhone' App Updated With Driving Directions to Device Location

MacRumors
Dec 11, 2012, 01:08 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/11/find-my-iphone-app-updated-with-driving-directions-to-device-location/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/findmyiphonelogo.jpgApple has updated its Find My iPhone iOS app (http://appshopper.com/utilities/find-my-iphone) with the ability to display driving directions to the lost device's location.

Find My iPhone is a free service built into iCloud. It allows users to lock, find, or erase a lost or stolen iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your data. Simply install this free app on another iOS device, open it, and sign in with your Apple ID. Find My iPhone will help you locate your missing device on a map, play a sound, display a message, remotely lock your device, or erase all the data on it.

If the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch you want to locate is running iOS 6, Find My iPhone also includes Lost Mode. Lost Mode locks your missing device with a 4-digit passcode and can display a contact phone number right on the lock screen. And while in Lost Mode, your device will keep track of where it has been and display its recent location history when you check in with the Find My iPhone app.??Please note that Find My iPhone must be enabled in the iCloud settings on your device for you to locate it with this app.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/findmyiphonescreenshot.jpg
Find My iPhone is a free download (http://appshopper.com/utilities/find-my-iphone) from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id376101648?mt=8)]

Article Link: 'Find My iPhone' App Updated With Driving Directions to Device Location (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/11/find-my-iphone-app-updated-with-driving-directions-to-device-location/)

RayK
Dec 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
Drive directly to the thieves. Exciting.

RoelJuun
Dec 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
...so you'll get yourself misplaced too.

davidjearly
Dec 11, 2012, 01:11 PM
I understand the logic in applying this feature, but isn't there a slight risk to Apple in including it?

That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door. Result - Apple receives lawsuit...

I'm not saying they shouldn't have included it, but given the amount of crazy litigation I see happening all over the World these days, I'm slightly surprised.

Personally, I think it's a good feature addition.

gmanist1000
Dec 11, 2012, 01:12 PM
Drive directly to the thieves. Exciting.

Exactly! Hopefully they tell the police about it and not intervene themselves... people could get hurt or worse.

DTphonehome
Dec 11, 2012, 01:13 PM
Just hope it's not in Mildura, Australia.

MasterHowl
Dec 11, 2012, 01:13 PM
But, you'll never get to the thief's house following Maps D:

snorkelman
Dec 11, 2012, 01:18 PM
when setting off on a trip you first post your phone to the desired destination, then you just use find my iphone to guide you to there :p

extricated
Dec 11, 2012, 01:18 PM
haha!
Everyone is picking up on exactly what I was thinking.

Drive to the seedy lowlife who stole your device and possibly end up losing your wallet (or your life) in the process.

Of course, that's worse case scenario stuff.

Hopefully, it's sitting on the barstool where you left it and you'll just go back to get it.

SteveJobs2.0
Dec 11, 2012, 01:19 PM
YOU: "Siri, give me the directions to my stolen iPhone!"

SIRI: "Ok, here are the directions to the nearest store that sells iPhones."

C DM
I understand the logic in applying this feature, but isn't there a slight risk to Apple in including it?

That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door. Result - Apple receives lawsuit...

I'm not saying they shouldn't have included it, but given the amount of crazy litigation I see happening all over the World these days, I'm slightly surprised.

Personally, I think it's a good feature addition.Technically speaking, Apple is almost always referring to this feature in the sense of the phone being lost/misplaced, rather than stolen. In that sense, what's the downside of going the extra step and giving you the option to see driving directions to the location where your phone is if you have lost/misplaced it?

Now, if it has actually been stolen, well, that's slightly different, but at least the marketing intent of the app is for lost/misplaced phones.

bushido
that app is pretty useless anyway. lets say u lose your iPhone and follow the spot on your map, how can u possibly know which person stole your iphone? there are probably at least 5 people fairly close that own an iPhone as well

i lost my H&M jacket at the airport once and accused someone with the same jacket, eventually i found my jacket somewhere else again. needless to say that was embarrassing enough

Vol7ron
Dec 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
i wonder if it updates the location in realtime...As you are driving to get it, the device suddenly moves to the next street over, then the next, etc....Real life Pac-Man game - just the roles are reversed....

ArtOfWarfare
Dec 11, 2012, 01:22 PM

No no, didn't you hear the news? Apple has fixed that issue. Now you just need to hope its not in any of the hundreds (thousands?) of less well known towns that Apple maps has misplaced.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, it's a non-issue. The lost device will report GPS coordinates and directions will use to and from GPS coordinates. So long as Apple doesn't have entirely misplaced roads, it should be fine... My understanding is its mostly location metadata that Apple has completely F'd with Apple Maps. Directions between coordinates should work fine.

teddyofindy
Dec 11, 2012, 01:35 PM
what if the thief steals your iphone, turns it off and then moves to another location? Will the app guide you to the new location?

ThatsMeRight
Dec 11, 2012, 01:37 PM

Personally, I think it's a good feature addition.
Rather the United States. I think there's not a single judge in, for example, Europe that would let Apple pay a fine if something happened just because someone decided to drive to a thief using Apple's software.

Lancer
Dec 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
just hope it's not in mildura, australia.

lmao

koban4max
Dec 11, 2012, 01:41 PM
what if the thief steals your iphone, turns it off and then moves to another location? Will the app guide you to the new location?

They should make another update with one click from from your computer and will take a picture through the iphone (either side of the camera) of the person and siri will say, " here's the address to this fool, go kill him."

BornAgainApple
Dec 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
Ya can't get there from here.

Tknull
Dec 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
There should be an in-app purchase.... "Hire a Thug".... He can meet you at the location and handle the physical requirements

VanityBonet
Dec 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
I am sure they will not use apple maps to find it ...ugh

olowott
Dec 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
only works in the US of A:mad:

bedifferent
Dec 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
that app is pretty useless anyway. lets say u lose your iPhone and follow the spot on your map, how can u possibly know which person stole your iphone? there are probably at least 5 people fairly close that own an iPhone as well

Send a message with an alarm to the iPhone. Assuming you are in close proximity, you should hear it. Of course this is dependent on the device being powered on.

I wish Apple would allow an app such as "IGotYa", which has been used to recover some stolen iPhones.

Stolen iPhone takes picture of woman, emails it to owner (http://m.thestar.com/news/world/article/1300511--stolen-iphone-takes-picture-of-woman-emails-it-to-owner)

iThinkIt
Dec 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
you: "siri, give me the directions to my stolen iphone!"

siri: "ok, here are the directions to the nearest store that sells iphones."

rotflol

pnoyblazed
Dec 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Find My iPhone is useful, until they shut your phone off

happydude
Dec 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
but when will we get walking/biking/public transport directions to the thief's house?!

ctdonath
Dec 11, 2012, 03:44 PM

They didn't steal an iPhone just to use it as a paperweight.

It'll come on again.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dw1KC-azcDg/T5Y-UK3Tn8I/AAAAAAAAAuM/Xr2QFICQvVs/s200/findYoukillYou.jpg

----------

but when will we get walking/biking/public transport directions to the thief's house?!

How about windage/elevation adjustments for a given caliber and grain?

Lucianrider
Dec 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
How difficult would it be that once you report the device lost/stolen that it becomes impossible to completely turn it off or silence it? It could look like its off with no display but it would still be on transmitting its position.

When you get close you can call it and it will ring indicating where it is.

Sounds like a no brainer to me!

mdelvecchio
Dec 11, 2012, 04:37 PM

youre assuming all lost phones are stolen phones. not the case.

nagromme
Dec 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Why donít they just come out and say it? This is basically a ďI woke up in a ditch and I donít know where I am, take me back to wherever I was last night, maybe they will feed meĒ app.

Erwin-Br
Dec 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Can't wait to hear the first story about someone innocent being accused of stealing someone's iPhone, because Siri pointed to the wrong house.

"I have called the cops. Now give me back my iPhone!"
"But... But... This really is -my- iPhone!"

:D

Imola Ghost
Dec 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
GREAT....so not only does your iPhone get stolen, you get beat up by the same guy that stole it.

LOL!

a0me
Dec 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
Or anywhere in Japan.

Mr. Retrofire
Dec 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
I understand the logic in applying this feature, but isn't there a slight risk to Apple in including it? That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door.
You call the police, before you do that.

----------

GREAT....so not only does your iPhone get stolen, you get beat up by the same guy that stole it.
If you are stupid enough, yes.

FuNGi
Dec 11, 2012, 08:30 PM

i lost my H&M jacket at the airport once and accused someone with the same jacket, eventually i found my jacket somewhere else again. needless to say that was embarrassing enough

Well not everywhere is high-density housing. A friend recovered his in Panama because the houses were so widely spaced the police could identify it clearly.

Directions would not be helpful unless your iphone was on the floor of a bar you forgot you went to.

iLLUMI
Dec 12, 2012, 12:22 AM

Heheheheh! :D

Oh no, "the dingo's got my iPhone". :p

Jessica Lares
Dec 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
The new driving directions are awesome, hahaha. But I just noticed today how I can look for all my devices, and the pins will be slightly in different directions. So now I can figure out which room I left my Mac/iPad in or whatever.

iChrist
Dec 12, 2012, 01:48 AM
God. How many Australians are gonna die from this app?

Lol

Snookerman
Dec 12, 2012, 02:58 AM

Actually, I think the iPhone still maintains a small connection even when turned off so Find My iPhone still works. This is the advantage of having a built-in battery since the thieves cannot remove it easily. Afaik, the only way to disable Find My iPhone is to turn on airplane mode, so you should be safe as long as you have a passcode.

mike423
Dec 12, 2012, 03:25 AM
Can't wait to hear the first story about someone innocent being accused of stealing someone's iPhone, because Siri pointed to the wrong house.

:D

That's where registering your apple device comes in handy.:apple:

throAU
Dec 12, 2012, 03:31 AM
That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door. Result - Apple receives lawsuit....

Only in the USA.

----------

God. How many Australians are gonna die from this app?

Lol

Probably a smaller number than american tourists in australia.

The people who live here generally know their way around their home.

ds2000
Dec 12, 2012, 06:39 AM
So if I nick my housemates phone as a joke and stand perfectly still I could laugh at him getting in his car and driving off to god knows where maps will take him.... I like this, alot!

Astro7x
Dec 12, 2012, 09:31 AM
Well this is an incredibly pointless feature. Who is going to do this? People who have two iPhone 5's that can use their first iPhone to find their way to their second iPhone?

C DM
Dec 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
Actually, I think the iPhone still maintains a small connection even when turned off so Find My iPhone still works. This is the advantage of having a built-in battery since the thieves cannot remove it easily. Afaik, the only way to disable Find My iPhone is to turn on airplane mode, so you should be safe as long as you have a passcode.Is that really the case? If the phone is off, everything about it should be off. On the other hand, if the phone has Find My iPhone enabled and is put into airplane mode, then I would actually think (or at least hope) that Find My iPhone would still function despite the mode.

----------

Well this is an incredibly pointless feature. Who is going to do this? People who have two iPhone 5's that can use their first iPhone to find their way to their second iPhone?It's not like people often have more than one iOS device, right? Or often have other family members or friends with an iOS device that they could use for something like this when they need to find their device. :rolleyes:

Snookerman
Dec 14, 2012, 05:41 AM
Is that really the case? If the phone is off, everything about it should be off. On the other hand, if the phone has Find My iPhone enabled and is put into airplane mode, then I would actually think (or at least hope) that Find My iPhone would still function despite the mode.

My only source for this is the Today in iOs podcast (http://tii.libsyn.com/). I couldn't find the exact episode but it was somewhere between 235 and 245. They said that the iPhone still maintains some connection even when turned off as long as the battery is not dead. Regarding airplane mode, there is no connection at all (to not interfere with the airplane) and therefore Find My iPhone won't work. There was a user that called in (ep 245 around the 30 min mark) and said he forgot to turn off airplane mode after a flight and lost his phone in a taxi from the airport and there was no way to find it.

From A Buick 8
Dec 14, 2012, 05:53 AM
Rather the United States. I think there's not a single judge in, for example, Europe that would let Apple pay a fine if something happened just because someone decided to drive to a thief using Apple's software.

And if something happened to the thief ....

ThatsMeRight
Dec 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
And if something happened to the thief ....
Than the person who did something is responsible. Not the company behind some navigation software.

From A Buick 8
Dec 14, 2012, 09:02 AM
Than the person who did something is responsible. Not the company behind some navigation software.

Was aimed at the judge in his country, but yes i understand personal responsability

C DM
Dec 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
My only source for this is the Today in iOs podcast (http://tii.libsyn.com/). I couldn't find the exact episode but it was somewhere between 235 and 245. They said that the iPhone still maintains some connection even when turned off as long as the battery is not dead. Regarding airplane mode, there is no connection at all (to not interfere with the airplane) and therefore Find My iPhone won't work. There was a user that called in (ep 245 around the 30 min mark) and said he forgot to turn off airplane mode after a flight and lost his phone in a taxi from the airport and there was no way to find it.So on airplanes when they often say just to turn off your phone rather than even simply have it in airplane mode (as they sometimes do, and/or at least certainly used to do) that would make it actually worse than having it airplane mode since it would supposedly still be transmitting/receiving a signal somehow. Seems at least a little strange.

Snookerman
Dec 17, 2012, 10:37 AM
So on airplanes when they often say just to turn off your phone rather than even simply have it in airplane mode (as they sometimes do, and/or at least certainly used to do) that would make it actually worse than having it airplane mode since it would supposedly still be transmitting/receiving a signal somehow. Seems at least a little strange.

It's a pity that I can't find the episode to hear what exactly was said. I did some searching around and I found this thread (http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/find-iphone-work-battery-dies-lost-phone/). According to the user Mike a bid down the page, the battery doesn't completely die when it reaches 0% but instead keeps about 3-5% of its energy which would allow for location services to continue working after the phone dies. The question is if this also happens when the phone is turned off. Nevertheless, don't expect to find logic behind the airplane electronics rule because it's more of a "we don't know but just in case"-rule.

pschertz
Jan 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
Find my IPhone has saved my 2 devices, iPhone and IPad both on 2 different occasions. I am certainly glad I had this app installed on my IPhone that was stolen. Tracked it all day, locked it, beeped it, and finally was able to recover my IPhone in a ditch on the edge of town. Lost my IPad yesterday and used the Find My IPhone to track and recover it today. App has definitely save me around $1,000! Thank you Apple!

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/11/find-my-iphone-app-updated-with-driving-directions-to-device-location/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/findmyiphonelogo.jpg)Apple has updated its Find My iPhone iOS app (http://appshopper.com/utilities/find-my-iphone) with the ability to display driving directions to the lost device's location.

Find My iPhone is a free service built into iCloud. It allows users to lock, find, or erase a lost or stolen iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/findmyiphonescreenshot.jpg)
Find My iPhone is a free download (http://appshopper.com/utilities/find-my-iphone) from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id376101648?mt=8)]

Article Link: 'Find My iPhone' App Updated With Driving Directions to Device Location (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/11/find-my-iphone-app-updated-with-driving-directions-to-device-location/)

unplugme71
Jan 15, 2013, 01:58 PM
Here's how I'd like the service to work:

If I lost my phone, I should be able to use Find my iPhone to lock the phone, prevent anyone from shutting it down.

If the person attempts the 10 tries to unlock, then it should first ping its current location to Find my iPhone, then perform a personal data reset so if they do eventually guess the password, no one can access my important stuff. At anytime after the reset, it prevents being shutoff and constantly pings its location.

The only way to 'recover' the lost/stolen phone is to enter the passcode that is given by 'Find my iPhone' which would be automatically generated.

----------

Find my IPhone has saved my 2 devices, iPhone and IPad both on 2 different occasions. I am certainly glad I had this app installed on my IPhone that was stolen. Tracked it all day, locked it, beeped it, and finally was able to recover my IPhone in a ditch on the edge of town. Lost my IPad yesterday and used the Find My IPhone to track and recover it today. App has definitely save me around $1,000! Thank you Apple!

I used find my iPhone (iPad) because I couldn't remember where I left it in my house. Luckily the blue icon showed it being in the corner of the house so I was able to find which room then use the sound to pin-point it. It ended up being under a pillow.

gnasher729
Jan 15, 2013, 05:19 PM

Check this one:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/unlucky-las-vegas-man-besieged-lost-phone-seekers

Not funny at all if it happens to you.

junokabe
Mar 4, 2013, 01:29 AM
There are so many flaws in this app:

1. You can't lock the phone from being turned off. Of course someone who steals an iPhone is smart enough to turn it off right away! You should be able to disable the "power off" function.

2. The ability to track a phone's location history in "lost mode" is worthless if you don't put it in lost mode right away.

I left my iPad (wifi+cellular) in my rental car tonight. Because I didn't realize I had left it until a few hours later, by the time I got onto iCloud to track it, it had been turned off. I logged into my Verizon account and saw that the data had been used for a couple hours after I lost it, so Find My iPhone could have been tracking it that whole time. Really, it's stupid that you can't see the location history until AFTER you put the device in "lost mode".

Squilly
Mar 6, 2013, 12:20 AM
Honestly, I don't even remember the last time I used Find My iPhone.

a-m-k
Mar 14, 2013, 01:07 PM
I just noticed it... I went to see how it works. Apparently its on my MBP.

AWESOME!

stylinexpat
Apr 6, 2013, 01:12 PM

Useless if they shut the phone off or take SIM card out. Mine was stolen here yesterday in Taipei. Trying to find that MTF!!

----------

Check this one:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/unlucky-las-vegas-man-besieged-lost-phone-seekers

Not funny at all if it happens to you.

Sometimes I have found location to be off as far as a block. This will vary from iPhone to the other.

Jessica Lares
Apr 6, 2013, 01:29 PM
The new directions feature has been awesome. Have used it a few times now.

IGregory
Apr 6, 2013, 02:40 PM
Technically speaking, Apple is almost always referring to this feature in the sense of the phone being lost/misplaced, rather than stolen. In that sense, what's the downside of going the extra step and giving you the option to see driving directions to the location where your phone is if you have lost/misplaced it?

Now, if it has actually been stolen, well, that's slightly different, but at least the marketing intent of the app is for lost/misplaced phones.

Also, Apple buyers are smart. We would never think of confronting the criminal(s) who stole our device. We would always call the police. We are smart that way. :D