PDA

View Full Version : Original 'Angry Birds' Updated for iPhone 5, Big-Screen Movie Coming in 2016

MacRumors
Dec 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/11/original-angry-birds-updated-for-iphone-5-big-screen-movie-coming-in-2016/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/NewImage12.pngRovio is celebrating Angry Birds' third anniversary by upgrading the game with iPhone 5 support (http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/11/o-g-angry-birds-goes-3-0-adds-iphone-5-support-and-a-movie-on-the-way/) and also disclosing that an Angry Birds movie is tentatively scheduled for release (http://www.rovio.com/en/news/press-releases/248/rovio-announces-john-cohen-as-the-producer-of-angry-birds-movie) in 2016.
On the third anniversary of the release of Angry Birds, Rovio Entertainment announced that Despicable Me producer John Cohen has signed on as producer of the upcoming Angry Birds movie. David Maisel, former Chairman of Marvel Studios and executive producer of Iron Man, will be executive producer of the feature film, coming to theaters in summer 2016. The film will be produced and financed by Rovio Entertainment.rf12u4FO4yM
Angry Birds is available for iPhone (http://appshopper.com/games/angry-birds) and iPad (http://appshopper.com/games/angry-birds-hd) on the App Store. [Direct Link: iPhone (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id343200656?mt=8), iPad (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id364234221?mt=8)]

Article Link: Original 'Angry Birds' Updated for iPhone 5, Big-Screen Movie Coming in 2016 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/11/original-angry-birds-updated-for-iphone-5-big-screen-movie-coming-in-2016/)

abz1981
Dec 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Why is this front page news?

gmanist1000
Dec 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
Angry Birds movies? Wow. Too far... keep it to Apps... and toys.... and whatever they are selling now.

I wonder when the craze will die? It's lasted longer than I thought it would.

abz1981
Dec 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
I wonder who will play angry bird. Adam Sandler maybe?

adztaylor
Dec 11, 2012, 05:01 PM

It isn't...

jayducharme
Dec 11, 2012, 05:01 PM
Adam Sandler maybe?

Or Jim Carrey?

Three years is a long time in mobile app years. I wonder if the Angry Bird franchise will have lost its popularity by then?

troop231
Dec 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
2016, wow, a bit premature lol

FooMan2011
Dec 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
It's because they're a multimillion dollar company. I don't get it, but facts are facts.

abz1981
Dec 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
It isn't...
It is in the mobile view of macrumors.

adztaylor
Dec 11, 2012, 05:04 PM

Okay fair enough. It isn't on the desktop site, listed in iOS blog.

abz1981
Dec 11, 2012, 05:06 PM
Or Jim Carrey?

Three years is a long time in mobile app years. I wonder if the Angry Bird franchise will have lost its popularity by then?
Yeah lol it may be jim too either one would get the part. Or maybe Eddie murphy.

----------

Okay fair enough. It isn't on the desktop site, listed in iOS blog.

Oh okay lol oh well. It's iphone related anyway lol

This movie will go down as a storm in china. Don't they have like angry bird retail stores in china?

ChristianJapan
Dec 11, 2012, 05:10 PM

Danny Devito ... His role as penguin in batman was just a trial for this new big role ... :D

Szarky
Dec 11, 2012, 05:13 PM

Because the mobile site clusters ALL stories together. So technically it isn't front page news.

XiXora
Dec 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
I wish someone would tell them how to use the iCloud API (even between the iPhone, iPad and Mac apps)

Akuratyde
Dec 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
Angry Birds movies? Wow. Too far... keep it to Apps... and toys.... and whatever they are selling now.

Honestly, I feel like the toys and other merchandise are too much. It's an app, for a phone. Do we really need plush toys in the checkout line at Target?

palmerc2
Dec 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
Well, they do make a lot of money on the toys. So I don't see why not.

abz1981
Dec 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
Do they have angry bird bumper stickers yet?

APlotdevice
Dec 11, 2012, 05:36 PM
I find it quite unlikely that Angry Bird's current popularity will last into 2016.

rmwebs
Dec 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Dear god let it die. It's not even that good a game!

Rovio are milking the crap out of it.

lunaoso
Dec 11, 2012, 05:41 PM

Kevin Bacon. The guys in everything!

I just can't imagine a movie about Angry Birds though. I mean, they don't really talk, and there's no real plot other then get the eggs back from the pigs.

abz1981
Dec 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
Hope they do it in 3d.

tevion5
Dec 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
I think "Bad Piggies" is a far better game than Angry Birds.

blackpond
Dec 11, 2012, 05:59 PM

I always thought Rush Limbaugh would be the perfect voice for the fat red one.

APlotdevice
Dec 11, 2012, 06:03 PM
Kevin Bacon. The guys in everything!

I just can't imagine a movie about Angry Birds though. I mean, they don't really talk, and there's no real plot other then get the eggs back from the pigs.

Games with equal or less plots have been made into movies. They were all complete crap, as most video game adaptations in general are, but still... :rolleyes:

topgunn
Dec 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
I agree. I love me some Bad Piggies.

BornAgainMac
Dec 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
Other movies like Plants vs Zombies, Cut the Rope, and Where's My Water planned?

Omacc
Dec 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
movie for a game thats like 10 years later?? lol wont be that big of a movie

Snowy_River
Dec 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
Honestly, I feel like the toys and other merchandise are too much. It's an app, for a phone. Do we really need plush toys in the checkout line at Target?

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to feel this way. I find myself so disgusted by the whole franchise that I'm not interested in even trying out any of their games...

Astroexe
Dec 11, 2012, 06:47 PM
You know what, one of the things that always frustrated me about the game was the plot and story of it.
Why are the Birds actually Angry? Why do they feel the need to preform self-acts of destruction upon the green pigs and their flimsy structures?

Maybe others are like me, and just can't get past the opening levels because of this: This movie could be a service to us who simply just don't understand.

Verbatim Cookie
Dec 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
Thinking out of the box: PSY
Do they have angry bird bumper stickers yet?
For when a flipping-the-bird bumper sticker won't do?

wikus
Dec 11, 2012, 07:03 PM
I didn't know Angry Birds was iOS exclusive......

Oh wait a minute.

efktd
Dec 11, 2012, 07:18 PM

I wonder when the craze will die? It's lasted longer than I thought it would.

And first aid bandages.

Glassed Silver
Dec 11, 2012, 07:18 PM

Ewww... choice...

Glassed Silver:mac

bushido
Dec 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
im so bad at this game. i couldnt even finish level 3 and gave up yet i got like all editions for unknown reasons

ChristianJapan
Dec 11, 2012, 08:40 PM

But someone still pays the bills; so why not. Good for them. If would be them I would not waste money in a movie; that will be trash. Not many movies out if games are blockbuster.

SteveJobs2.0
Dec 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
Entire movie will be basically this:

"chirp craw craw chirp, vvvvvvvvvv, wheeeeeeeeee!, craaaaasssshhhhh, oink oink oink, ha ha ha"

mrsir2009
Dec 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
They're really pushing it if they expect Angry Birds to still be popular enough for a movie in three years time.

Yamcha
Dec 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
God I hate Angry Birds, I can't stand these games.. =P

ArtOfWarfare
Dec 11, 2012, 10:14 PM
I find it quite unlikely that Angry Bird's current popularity will last into 2016.

Are they really even movie popular right now?

laflores
Dec 11, 2012, 10:24 PM
Well, if they made a movie from Battleship...

mrsir2009
Dec 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
Are they really even movie popular right now?

I'm guessing they've done the market research :(

secretbum
Dec 11, 2012, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2matH4B9bTo

BluePhoenixRa
Dec 12, 2012, 12:54 AM
You know what, one of the things that always frustrated me about the game was the plot and story of it.
Why are the Birds actually Angry? Why do they feel the need to preform self-acts of destruction upon the green pigs and their flimsy structures?

Maybe others are like me, and just can't get past the opening levels because of this: This movie could be a service to us who simply just don't understand.

Actually, they show that when you start the game for the first time.

They are angry at the pigs cause the pigs ate their..children (eggs).
They show an empty nest with footprints leading up to the pigs. And soooo..they are angry.

That's the plot..

12dylan34
Dec 12, 2012, 01:00 AM
You've come into my home. You've taken my children. Now prepare to DIE, YOU SWINE MOTHER******!!

If the movie is rated R.

NightFox
Dec 12, 2012, 01:38 AM
I wish people would stop talking about apps 'not supporting' or 'being incompatible with' iPhone 5 when all they really mean is whether it uses the extra screen space or not. To read many outraged one star reviews and change logs you'd think the apps didn't actually work on the iPhone 5 at all

iChrist
Dec 12, 2012, 01:45 AM

Exactly. Just an example of how real devs update their apps fast, and these clowns take months. Not a lot of time between rehashes I guess.

Chaos123x
Dec 12, 2012, 01:47 AM
Wow angry birds isn't even that great of a game just a great time waster you can pick up for free or $1. Could you imagine if it was a $50 console game?

Jayomat
Dec 12, 2012, 02:40 AM
*wow* at all the people who are hating on the game! "It's not even a good game". Is this because you suck at it or what? I mean I just played the first two worlds or something along those lines, but the game concept itself is nothing new, there were maaany games like AB before, the "latest" being the "Worms" series. Yeh it had weapons and movement, but Rovio took the same basic mechanics (point and shoot) but abstracted them to a point so that they work great on an iPhone sized device (different birds = weapons, adjust angle an speed = same as in worms, no movement because you would have to tilt/digital button-it up to make that work). They did a great game for mobile devices and their success proofs it. Stop the blind hate and grow up

Awakener
Dec 12, 2012, 02:54 AM
Wow angry birds isn't even that great of a game just a great time waster you can pick up for free or $1. Could you imagine if it was a $50 console game?

Hard to understand it. Just another sign of how dumbed down the culture has become imho.

Chaos123x
Dec 12, 2012, 03:04 AM
*wow* at all the people who are hating on the game! "It's not even a good game". Is this because you suck at it or what? I mean I just played the first two worlds or something along those lines, but the game concept itself is nothing new, there were maaany games like AB before, the "latest" being the "Worms" series. Yeh it had weapons and movement, but Rovio took the same basic mechanics (point and shoot) but abstracted them to a point so that they work great on an iPhone sized device (different birds = weapons, adjust angle an speed = same as in worms, no movement because you would have to tilt/digital button-it up to make that work). They did a great game for mobile devices and their success proofs it. Stop the blind hate and grow up

Nobody said the game was bad its good for $1 but its no Super Mario Bros or Halo. It's no better than Fruit Ninja or Temple Run but you don't see them being turned into movies.

I don't see this franchise moving forward with silly licensing agreements like Star Wars Angry Birds.

Though little kids seem to love the games so what do I know. Shoot they love Skylanders which is a great idea but a bad game.

SpiderDude
Dec 12, 2012, 03:59 AM
I clicked on the article hoping 2016 was a keyboard typo for 2013...
Angry birds in 2016... Ah! that's a good one...

NightFox
Dec 12, 2012, 04:54 AM

It is - Angry Birds Trilogy on Xbox/PS. OK, maybe not $50 but you could easily pay $40+ for it.

Manderby
Dec 12, 2012, 05:33 AM
Coming in 2013: The Mine Sweeper
Coming in 2014: Solitaire, the last card.
Coming in 2015: Sudoku: Episode one: Fill the blanks.
Coming in 2016: Angry Birds.

Plutonius
Dec 12, 2012, 06:52 AM
I wonder what the movie plot will be :D ?

Radio
Dec 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
Never got the hype.

Pretty boring game

KieranDotW
Dec 12, 2012, 07:02 AM
People ask me why I don't put games like this on my iPhone. It's simple: they annoy the crap out of me.

Other movies like Plants vs Zombies, Cut the Rope, and Where's My Water planned?

Where's My Water is already a TV show.

nedman
Dec 12, 2012, 07:06 AM

I'm gonna guess big bird from Sesame Street!

Shade12
Dec 12, 2012, 07:08 AM
Who really wants to watch angry bird movie ?

Stephen Dowling
Dec 12, 2012, 07:25 AM
I doubt the franchise will be popular enough for a movie in 2016. The world is ending in 9 days anyways :rolleyes:

Solomani
Dec 12, 2012, 07:29 AM
This might be a the first (and only) movie where Kim Kardashian's "talents" can be put to good use.

Shade12
Dec 12, 2012, 07:33 AM
I doubt the franchise will be popular enough for a movie in 2016. The world is ending in 9 days anyways :rolleyes:
No it's not I'm still single and virgin
:(

decafjava
Dec 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
Well Chair got a book (ok a novella) for Infinity Blade - Doom had a craptastic movie, as did a lot of other games so why not.

Anyway I thought there already WAS a movie?*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2matH4B9bTo

*This may or may not be satire? ;)

ncaissie
Dec 12, 2012, 09:33 AM
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to feel this way. I find myself so disgusted by the whole franchise that I'm not interested in even trying out any of their games...

Donít knock it until you tried it. Didnít your parents ever teach you that?
The game is not that bad. Iím upset I bought the Star Wars one on the iPad and have to pay again if I want to play it on my phone.

Luckybobby
Dec 12, 2012, 10:08 AM

Bad Piggies is so much better than Angry Birds. To bad it doesn't get nearly as much press as Angry Birds.

Snowy_River
Dec 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
Donít knock it until you tried it. Didnít your parents ever teach you that?
The game is not that bad. Iím upset I bought the Star Wars one on the iPad and have to pay again if I want to play it on my phone.

Oh, I'm not saying they're bad games. I have played several games that are based on similar principles. So, I know that the style of game can be entertaining. What I was saying is that the franchise has so thoroughly disgusted me that any interest I might have once had in trying any of their games has long since been burned out of me...