Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelb51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Hi there, IM getting a PowerMAc in the near future and want more than your average screen space. At first i thought a 30inch display would be the way to go - but for the same price i could get extended desktop w/ 2x 23inch. 2x 23inch would be more o/all screen space and i wouldnt have to pay $1000AU for the rgaphics card. anyway, just seeing what everyone else thinks...

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
The only ACD that isn't a ripoff is the 30" because its basically with highest resolution display available to consumers. The 23" are a ripoff because you can get 4 24" dell screens for the same price (when the dells go for dirt cheap I mean)...

My 2 cents

BTW, its been discussed before, a quick search would help you.

joelb51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
blaskillet4 said:
The only ACD that isn't a ripoff is the 30" because its basically with highest resolution display available to consumers. The 23" are a ripoff because you can get 4 24" dell screens for the same price (when the dells go for dirt cheap I mean)...

My 2 cents

BTW, its been discussed before, a quick search would help you.

yeh, cheers for the advice! didnt realize the dells were so cheap. I realized i prob. should have posted in another forum. My bad! bit new to this forum *****. Peace

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The question is, what are you doing with the system?

Some applictaions work alright with extended edesktops and some are a pain to use.

Also, in terms of pixels:
The 2x23" has 4.4 megapixels and the 30" is 4 megapixels. so there isn't that much differencee in screen real estate, just how it's laid out.

The other difference is 2x23" takes up almost double the desk space. And require more head movement.

Just things to think about.

joelb51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Bear said:
The question is, what are you doing with the system?

Yeh probs using graphics prorgams mostly Photoshop, Illustrator ect.... wouldnt mind having the second screen for Itunes, MSN, widgets and palettes ect. and have one main screen.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
heh, man, i wish i had your problems. here i am with a single 20" dell monitor (cause its cheaper) thinking im in hog heaven! but i always think how nice/cool a 23" would be b/c it is HD. but anyway. . .i would consider the size of 2 monitors, and turning your head all of the time. its one thing to run dual 17" monitors when you just need to run a lot of things at once and want to have quick access to each of them. but with a single 30" monitor you can do A LOT (thats just a guess, ive never used one outside of the apple store) but b/w gobs of screen real estate and expose i think a 30incher would be better because everything would be in front of you, instead of infront and to the side. but in the end i think its personal preferance . . . how much experience do you have using 2 monitors vs one? i used to run my 12" pb next to my 19" CRT (before the 20" dell) and i got tired of that, especially once expose came about.

. . . now, if apple would only support mulitple desktops (like a linux system with 4 desktops. . . you either know what im talking about or you dont) THAT would be cool, and i would totally go for JUST the 30"!!!!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Get the thirty.

I bought two twenties and find myself only using it for extra windows.

The thirty is nice, especially if you need to edit images or video at large resolutions.

I plan on selling one of my twenties, and buying the 30, and having the twenty as the Mail, Safari and tool pallette window.

You can't display an image at near-full resolution on two twenties or two twenty-three's.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I use 2x23". It's far better for space management than a single 30". I can use the other screen as an HD monitor for my FCP work, or as a window for my browser to look at the plethora of media I deal with. OR you can use it to keep a second program open. I often use one screen for Motion and another for FCP.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
wPod said:
. . . now, if apple would only support mulitple desktops (like a linux system with 4 desktops. . . you either know what im talking about or you dont) THAT would be cool, and i would totally go for JUST the 30"!!!!
There is always CodeTek VirtualDesktop™ Pro for multiple desktop support. There are a couple of other software packages that also handle multiple desktops on a single screen.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Bear said:
There is always CodeTek VirtualDesktop™ Pro for multiple desktop support. There are a couple of other software packages that also handle multiple desktops on a single screen.

cool, but it should be included in OS X . . . maybe just as some random hidden option for power users. i just dont really want to fork out $40 bucks to get it! (im a poor college student!)

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Bear said:

Desktop manager (free): http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21594

Great program, but NOT the same as expanding increasing your screen space with a larger or additional monitor.

I think all these responses give you the answer, which is... it depends. It depends on what you are planning to do with them.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Hell, get a 30" now, and get a 2nd thirty when your funds recover!

Dual 30" would make you a god among men.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
MrSugar said:
Hell, get a 30" now, and get a 2nd thirty when your funds recover!

Dual 30" would make you a god among men.

I am still waiting for this to happen on these boards, my money is on igary at the moment :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.