Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monsoonmalabard

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
My system is working fine (iMac running Mountain Lion), except that when I try to import video to iMovie '08 using the built-in iSight camera I see a message "no camera connected". iSight works fine in Skype, photobooth, etc.
The solution to this, documented here, is to trash com.apple.mio.VDCAssistant.plist at the path /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ and it's supposed to rebuild after a restart. But when I navigate to this path, the relevant file is just not there. Restart doesn't affect it, neither does logging in with a different user account. Repairing disk permissions doesn't help. I found a file named com.apple.cmio.VDCAssistant.plist at that location but only in a Time Machine backup - it's not there on my current system.

My main question is: does the absence of com.apple.mio.VDCAssistant.plist indicate a deeper problem that ought to be fixed? If not, I can live with not being able to import video directly to iMovie directly from the camera.

If it does indicate a deeper problem, I guess it's time to reinstall the OS. If that's the case, can I restore the system from a time machine backup or will this just reintroduce the original problem?

Thanks for reading - I'd really appreciate any input.

Last edited:

Monsoonmalabard

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Update

Reinstalled the OS and the 'cmio' file is there. iSight still not recognised. The iSight issue must be a bug confined to older versions of iMovie, even though they're still supported by Mountain Lion. I'll use QuickTime to import the footage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.