Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
I currently and going to school for basic "Visual Communication" and after next semester is over I will be able to choose to either do a portfolio review and go into graphic design or web design, but I don't know what to do. I love art and messing around in illustrator but it just seems like web design is the most logical answer because I'm almost positive it is higher pay, but I just don't get the feeling of accomplishment like I do when I make something in illustrator or photoshop. Any suggestions?

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Any suggestions?

As primarily a print designer, I'd suggest aiming towards the web, or gaming.

It's not that I believe print will disappear, but I do see it diminishing as an option.

The only thing I'd suggest is learn how to find a sense of accomplishment from web design.

I do.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I'd agree with that. I trained as a print designer and now mostly do websites while getting my creative kicks from photography. Screen based media will continue to grow and evolve. There is no reason why your illustrative work shouldn't find a home in this are though. If the graphic design syllabus is print focussed then it may be a bit backward looking. On the other hand if it is all about ideas and creativity then it may be worth sticking with.

In my experience skills make it easier to get a job but talent is what makes good money. If you can knock together a website/print project then you can make a living but if you can mastermind a campaign (in any media) then you will be a success.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
I'd agree with that. I trained as a print designer and now mostly do websites while getting my creative kicks from photography. Screen based media will continue to grow and evolve. There is no reason why your illustrative work shouldn't find a home in this are though. If the graphic design syllabus is print focussed then it may be a bit backward looking. On the other hand if it is all about ideas and creativity then it may be worth sticking with.

In my experience skills make it easier to get a job but talent is what makes good money. If you can knock together a website/print project then you can make a living but if you can mastermind a campaign (in any media) then you will be a success.

Well one reason that I'm interested in the graphic design section is due to the Digital artistry(Using illustrator and photoshop to recreate photos) and Airbrushing class. But the more I think about it the more I know that web design will be more relevant. I don't want to sound stuck up but I have a very good grasp on most aspects of the graphic design software but this semester taught myself HTML and CSS and think that I will have a harder time with web and will grow more from that. Once I get a steady job there's no reason why I can't fill my artistic needs with free lance work :p thank you.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I would advise the web design route. Meantime, it's time to flex both skillsets. Your primary self promo vehicle, your web site will stand apart from everyone else's who happens to know HTM because of the illustrations. It's very difficult to break into the pro illustrator market but once you land that design job, a project will eventually come along that will allow you to showcase that other aspect.

OutOfDate

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Personally i think its more important to be happy in what you do than it is to make a bit more money. If you suspect that you will find web design soleless and unfulfilling for eg and you are feeling like that now, imagine how you'll feel a few years in!

Lifes too short to focus your career on an area which you don't enjoy. If you love what you do and are passionate about it and talented you will be successful. Focussing on what you enjoy now won't rule out web design in the future either, it'll still be there.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Speaking as someone who hires designers, I won't even consider someone who doesn't have at least some web design/development capability.

If you're just ridiculously talented and can make it as a print and/or identity designer then go for it, but most designers these days are going to have to do at least some interactive design. The more you know the more hireable you are, and like it or not as a designer of any type that's the end game.

I actually know several designers who do websites and other interactive media then do illustration on the side and one is moving into it fulltime after building up his client base.

OutOfDate

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Speaking as someone who hires designers, I won't even consider someone who doesn't have at least some web design/development capability.

I suppose it depends what area you work in. The area I've worked in for the last 15 years doesn't require web skills at all.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I suppose it depends what area you work in. The area I've worked in for the last 15 years doesn't require web skills at all.

Bit late in responding, sorry.

While this is certainly true and there will be areas of design where you don't have a need for web/interactive skills, I think those areas are becoming scarcer and scarcer (particularly for a young designer trying to break in).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.