PDA

View Full Version : AgileBits Releases '1Password' Version 4

MacRumors
Dec 12, 2012, 10:51 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/12/agilebits-releases-1password-version-4/)

Popular password aggregating app 1Password, from AgileBits (https://agilebits.com), just received a major update to Version 4 (http://appshopper.com/productivity/1password-2), featuring a total redesign of the app.

1Password's new design has done away with the pin-code lock, replacing it with a master password much like the Mac app, the interface has been simplified, and the app, overall, is more organized. The toolbar features Favorites, which houses the most accessed passwords, and Categories, which contains most of the items that were on the previous app's toolbar. Folders, another entry on the toolbar, allow for even deeper organization.

Also included is a built-in browser, offering direct access to store password through a toolbar button in the browser.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/1password_4.jpg
As with the original version of 1Password, users can generate unique passwords for each site they use, and store the data using military grade 256-bit AES protection. Users can also securely store other types of data, such as credit card information, notes, and banking information. A single master password unlocks the app, allowing for the memorization of one password instead of hundreds.

1Password also supports both iCloud and Dropbox syncing allowing user to make sure their passwords are kept up to date across all of their systems. iCloud syncing to Mac will, however, require a forthcoming update to 1Password for Mac.

Because 1Password is universal, AgileBits is releasing it as a brand new app. Owners of the current 1Password app will need to purchase the new version in order to access it. Older versions will continue to be supported and will sync with the new version of 1Password.

1Password (http://appshopper.com/productivity/1password-2) [App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password/id568903335?mt=8)] is launching with a promotional price of $7.99, a significant discount from the regular price of $17.99, and is now available for download.

Article Link: AgileBits Releases '1Password' Version 4 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/12/agilebits-releases-1password-version-4/)

Steve J0bs
Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
Have yet to decide if i am mad that AgileBits is charging me for this new update.

irDigital0l
Dec 12, 2012, 11:03 PM
Have yet to decide if i am mad that AgileBits is charging me for this new update.

This is a new app...

yubbie2
Dec 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
Boy am I glad I forgot to buy this yesterday.

Steve J0bs
Dec 12, 2012, 11:09 PM
This is a new app...

I know this. Just felt like they should have made it an update and not a completely new app. I guess i understand that they need to make $ somehow.

timd.mackey
Dec 12, 2012, 11:09 PM

This new app is a drastic improvement over the previous one. 1Password products are consistently rather expensive, but for me, the cost-benefit ratio is a no-brainer. This was an instant buy for me.

Steve J0bs
Dec 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
This new app is a drastic improvement over the previous one. 1Password products are consistently rather expensive, but for me, the cost-benefit ratio is a no-brainer. This was an instant buy for me.

I totally agree with you. I love 1Password and i could live without it, but it just makes life that much easier. You guys win, i have no clue where i was going with that first post. CHEERS :cool:

scarred
Dec 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
Been waiting for this for a while! Love it already. Takes my ipad one step closer to being a PC replacement.

appahappa
Dec 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
Then the new version for the Mac will be released soon too. Hopefully a free update, just bought it two weeks ago.

irDigital0l
Dec 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
Its $8 which is probably the most expensive app I ever bought (I think the most expensive game I ever bought was Carcassonne for $10 but I had an itunes gift card)

Right now, I have a ton of passwords which I basically just list on an excel worksheet and its not efficient at all.

polymersayb
Dec 13, 2012, 12:00 AM
Then the new version for the Mac will be released soon too. Hopefully a free update, just bought it two weeks ago.

According to AgileBits support (http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-39-for-mac-from-mac-app-store/mac-app-store-faq), version 4 will be a free update if you purchased from the Mac App Store:
That said, if you purchase 1Password from the App Store, it will include a free upgrade to version 4.

Idgit
Dec 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
Why does this require iOS 6? Does iOS 6 have some special and required APIs?

I'm annoyed I can't run this on my jailbroken iPad 3.

But at least I got the update for half price.

alchemistmuffin
Dec 13, 2012, 12:31 AM

They did promise everyone a while back that anyone who buys the app from Mac App Store will get the next version free, which makes sense since the next version for Mac will be Mac App Store exclusive.

nutmac
Dec 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
I don't mind paying again for the app, but the browser (which is the whole point of using this app) hasn't evolve enough for me to pull the trigger.

roland.g
Dec 13, 2012, 01:24 AM
I've had every generation of 1Password on the Mac, but am on 3.x because now that it is MacAppStore, it is $50 to get on that, and as such when the Mac version goes to 4.0, I will have to upgrade via MAS for $50 since they don't offer it otherwise anymore.

As for iOS, I got it when it originally came out for the iPhone $8.99. Then after the iPad came out they didn't go Universal at first, so there was an iPad HD version for $14.99 and they didn't offer good syncing at the time. Now they use Dropbox and it is much better. Not sure if the new one uses iCloud. But buying the new iOS version for another $7.99 or ($17.99) feels like I have paid too many times for this. And yet if I don't I get left behind.

All that said, it is a great software, worth purchasing, and a worthwhile developer to support.

Fudai
Dec 13, 2012, 01:27 AM
I use eWallet ... Is this app that much better?

whynot83706
Dec 13, 2012, 02:01 AM

I sorry but this is just so stupid...I did purchase old app at the full price...What they mean with universal all?

vicky07
Dec 13, 2012, 02:13 AM
Glad to know that this one is more simplified and improvised!
Thanks for sharing!:D

macachia
Dec 13, 2012, 02:18 AM
I had purchased 1password in 2009 via iOS, any idea why I'm requested payment again via the appstore and I can't update?

If it's a new app, they should be ashamed of themselves, it was dead expensive to begin with in '09

EmpyreanUK
Dec 13, 2012, 02:33 AM
I had purchased 1password in 2009 via iOS, any idea why I'm requested payment again via the appstore and I can't update?

If it's a new app, they should be ashamed of themselves, it was dead expensive to begin with in '09

It's a new app. Why should they be ashamed of themselves? If you considered it expensive, you shouldn't have bought it then, and you shouldn't buy this new version.

I personally love 1Password, and if the app was free then I'd happily buy the developers two beers (to share between the entire development studio). As the app costs the same as two beers in Wetherspoon's, and less than two beers in a nice pub, I consider this a very reasonable price.

NATO
Dec 13, 2012, 03:32 AM
I got tired of having to pay £££ for every platform I wanted to use 1Password on, and major updates costing £££ to upgrade as well, so I stopped using it.

I'm using LastPass now and to me it beats 1Password in every way - It's multiplatform, it doesn't require me to store my database locally on every device, the mobile platform is a single charge ($12/yr) and can be used on all my mobile devices (no seperate charge for iPhone, iPad versions).

1Password always struck me as 'nickel and diming' me every time I wanted to have it on a different platform or different device so they've lost me, my wife and my friends as customers.

Edit: Reading the full list of changes in this new version of 1Password, it reads like an itemised list of features already present in LastPass

DeafRaiders
Dec 13, 2012, 03:45 AM
If I get this will it get this for iOS, will it sync on the iMac for free, or will i have to pay extra for the Mac version. I am currently using Lastpass

charlieegan3
Dec 13, 2012, 04:04 AM
I always thought these apps were asking for a disaster...

GoCubsGo
Dec 13, 2012, 04:05 AM
This is a new app...

Not really; they even call it an update. The App Store description:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/13/su9avu3u.jpg

cg399
Dec 13, 2012, 04:22 AM
Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/13/su9avu3u.jpg)

I think, to be fair, that is the description of the update from 4.0.0 to 4.0.2. Version 4 is a new app.

Just need iCloud support in the desktop app and then we'll be cooking!! :-)

theSeb
Dec 13, 2012, 04:43 AM

So when MS Office 2010 comes out, you expect to be able to upgrade your version of Office 2007 for free? Interesting idea since no software company will survive for long whilst using a crazy business model that you're proposing.

----------

Just like Windows XP was an update to Windows 97. It still wasn't free though.

Confuzzzed
Dec 13, 2012, 04:47 AM
If you purchased the app after 13 November, email your iTunes receipt to GiveMe1Password4Please@agilebits.com and they will send you a code to download it from the appstore for free.

DeafRaiders
Dec 13, 2012, 05:45 AM
If you purchased the app after 13 November, email your iTunes receipt to GiveMe1Password4Please@agilebits.com and they will send you a code to download it from the appstore for free.

Why after 13th?

farleysmaster
Dec 13, 2012, 06:04 AM
Well worth the update even just for the favourites feature.

judgejohn82
Dec 13, 2012, 06:08 AM
Why after 13th?

It's actually 15th November, and is mentioned in their Transition FAQs:-

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/transition.html

I love supporting good software, but I literally just purchased a few weeks ago. Is there anything you can do?

We want everyone to be able to enjoy the wonderful new 1Password 4 and purchasing twice in a few weeks doesn’t sound like much fun.

If you purchased 1Password 3 for iOS after November 15th, 2012, let us know. Simply email your App Store receipt to GiveMe1Password4Please@agilebits.com and we’ll take care of you.

m00min
Dec 13, 2012, 06:24 AM

Even better, the AgileBits website info says it needs iOS 4.3. Off I went and bought it on my iPad (running iOS6), I go to download it on my iPhone (iOS5): "This app requires iOS 6."

I'm a bit annoyed.

FilipH
Dec 13, 2012, 06:43 AM
I bought it (for first time), and have to say i like it. Dhe desktop version is, for business reasons, invaluable for me. It just works really well, especially combined with my dropbox account for syncing. The iphone version is alright, but not as necessary to have ...

Confuzzzed
Dec 13, 2012, 06:46 AM
Why after 13th?

I am sure if you have purchased it over the past 5-6 weeks they will show an element of goodwill.

Stella
Dec 13, 2012, 06:52 AM
V4 is pretty slick. Will also display attachments as well, an obvious omission from the previous version.

Only thing I miss is the 4 pin unlock code. Now it's the master password only to unlock upon initial start up.

GoCubsGo
Dec 13, 2012, 07:02 AM
I think, to be fair, that is the description of the update from 4.0.0 to 4.0.2. Version 4 is a new app.

Just need iCloud support in the desktop app and then we'll be cooking!! :-)

Well I should indeed say that I will buy it all the same. I've been using this since it was in beta stages years ago. I rely on it.
I do believe iCloud sync is not available for the desktop version yet, which is silly because it should have been updated all together to be truly useful. Also people are reporting that DB sync is not working. I hope the desktop is updated and its free. I paid for this on the iPad, iPhone, and desktop. I'd like not to pay $7.99 three times again as a truly loyal customer.

Confuzzzed
Dec 13, 2012, 07:15 AM
Also people are reporting that DB sync is not working. I hope the desktop is updated and its free. I paid for this on the iPad, iPhone, and desktop. I'd like not to pay $7.99 three times again as a truly loyal customer.

Works fine for me. It's not instant but it works better than wifi sync that you have to actively push through manually

obtutus
Dec 13, 2012, 07:15 AM
This article on mobile password managers may be of interest:
http://www.elcomsoft.com/WP/BH-EU-2012-WP.pdf

frozencarbonite
Dec 13, 2012, 07:21 AM
Does this version still allow you to use just a 4-digit pin to open it instead of typing the master password every time you want to open the app?

aerowave
Dec 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
Does this version still allow you to use just a 4-digit pin to open it instead of typing the master password every time you want to open the app?

Only thing I miss is the 4 pin unlock code. Now it's the master password only to unlock upon initial start up.

You can enable a quick unlock code in the settings: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Settings/ios-auto-locks.html

iforbes
Dec 13, 2012, 08:09 AM
So this doesn't work from within Safari? You have to go into the app and launch your password protected site from the app? Do I understand that correctly?

Plus you have to pay for an iOS version and pay again for a Mac version?

Wow..sounds like too much work for too many dollars.

ugahairydawgs
Dec 13, 2012, 08:09 AM
Why after 13th?

Think of it as a 30 day return policy.

zman2100
Dec 13, 2012, 08:15 AM
Well that kind of sucks for those of us who purchased 1Password a while back. I understand they have to keep making money and the software is great, but it's still somewhat disappointing since the nature of the App Store is that most future updates are free for those who've already bought the software. I may look into other options like LastPass or just stick with version 3 and decide what to do when it's eventually no longer supported.

jsgreen
Dec 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
I'm happy to pay for updates / new versions occasionally, for an app this important I'd rather AgileBits have a revenue stream which keeps them in business and keeps the innovation coming. The Agile team is very committed to making 1Password an excellent app, that's worth paying for.

I am not affiliated w/ Agile, just a very happy customer.

joueboy
Dec 13, 2012, 08:22 AM
This app is one of the reason that I prefer the iOS over Android. I started using from OSX and then iOS and the synching with Dropbox is awesome. Since then I only use one password seriously! :)

Razeus
Dec 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
I is this any different from version 3 I have now? It's the same purpose no? I have this for iMac, iPhone and iPad. I'm wondering if it's worth the $8.

GoCubsGo
Dec 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
I is this any different from version 3 I have now? It's the same purpose no? I have this for iMac, iPhone and iPad. I'm wondering if it's worth the $8.

Did you read the update notes? Basically it is a fairly big update to the UI and it now offers iCloud sync.

TheMaJa
Dec 13, 2012, 08:54 AM
Looks like they removed the WiFi sync between iOS and OS X in the new iOS version. This is IMHO a huge step backwards. I don't want to store a keychain on Dropbox!

Razeus
Dec 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
Did you read the update notes? Basically it is a fairly big update to the UI and it now offers iCloud sync.

UI "upgrades" don't appeal to me. It's a password manager for pete sake. Version 3 works fine enough for that. Plus I use Dropbox syncing so iCloud syncing is not a feature I would jump for.

CylonGlitch
Dec 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
removed for now.

SvP
Dec 13, 2012, 09:09 AM

Do you still have the same iPhone as in '09? Should Apple be ashamed too?

xterratop
Dec 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
I purchased the iOS version for my iPad and noticed that you can also install it on your iPhone as well. So, if you purchase it once, don't have to purchase it for other devices.

Their 1Password 3.x for mac is in the App store but did not update yet to their new 4.0 version. They said that those of you who purchased a current 3.x version will receive the upgrade/update for free. Yes, it's $50 HOWEVER its a great program. A few months ago I purchased Datavault Password Manager and couldn't figure it out. The GUI isn't pleasant to look at either so I researched and found 1Password.

The best part of this 1Password app is that you sync your data to either your Dropbox or iCloud. At the moment, the desktop 1Password App only syncs to either your wifi or dropbox but I'm sure that'll change when they update the App.

SvP
Dec 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
removed for now.

read & read again, they're talking about 1password 4 for MAC

EmpyreanUK
Dec 13, 2012, 09:19 AM
UI "upgrades" don't appeal to me. It's a password manager for pete sake. Version 3 works fine enough for that. Plus I use Dropbox syncing so iCloud syncing is not a feature I would jump for.

If all of this is truly the case then my recommendation to you would be to not buy 1Password 4.

Stella
Dec 13, 2012, 09:32 AM
So this doesn't work from within Safari? You have to go into the app and launch your password protected site from the app?

Correct. This is a limitation of iOS since Apple don't allow plugins for mobile Safari. It does suck, but hopefully Apple will change this in the future.

You can enable a quick unlock code in the settings: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Settings/ios-auto-locks.html

This only works for when you've already got 1Password open, not for the initial launch unlock. Still, better than having to enter master password every time 1Password locks.

AppleInLVX
Dec 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Bought the app, but it's useless until I can sync with the iMac, and I won't buy that until it's in a bundle deal again. It can wait until that happens. I think the issue is that because it has gone on sale fairly often for a considerable amount less (this time at 50%, in bundles for less with other software) that buying it at full price really does feel a little like a cash grab.

CylonGlitch
Dec 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
read & read again, they're talking about 1password 4 for MAC

Between the time I posted and the time you quoted I removed my post. Yeah, took me a few minutes to see that.

NAG
Dec 13, 2012, 09:56 AM
I got tired of having to pay £££ for every platform I wanted to use 1Password on, and major updates costing £££ to upgrade as well, so I stopped using it.

Yet you buy a subscription service?

I'm using LastPass now and to me it beats 1Password in every way - It's multiplatform, it doesn't require me to store my database locally on every device, the mobile platform is a single charge ($12/yr) and can be used on all my mobile devices (no seperate charge for iPhone, iPad versions).

1Password v4 is universal (they had a universal iOS app for v3 as well). Yes, you'll have to buy the app for Mac or Windows separately. Additionally, the lack of centralized storage of the information is kind of a feature since it doesn't provide people wanting large amounts of personal information a one stop shop.

1Password always struck me as 'nickel and diming' me every time I wanted to have it on a different platform or different device so they've lost me, my wife and my friends as customers.

Yet you're okay with a subscription service? I wouldn't use the phrase nickel and diming if you have a service that requires you spend money to retain access to your information.

Edit: Reading the full list of changes in this new version of 1Password, it reads like an itemised list of features already present in LastPass

iCloud support? Which features?

Bought the app, but it's useless until I can sync with the iMac, and I won't buy that until it's in a bundle deal again. It can wait until that happens. I think the issue is that because it has gone on sale fairly often for a considerable amount less (this time at 50%, in bundles for less with other software) that buying it at full price really does feel a little like a cash grab.

You're not going to get a bundle deal. They're going App Store only I believe which makes it impossible for them to do bundles (why v3.9 was cheaper at launch on the Mac App Store and why it will get updated to v4 for free and why v4 on iOS is 50% off for launch). They might drop the Mac App Store price again at v4 launch.

AppleInLVX
Dec 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
You're not going to get a bundle deal. They're going App Store only I believe which makes it impossible for them to do bundles (why v3.9 was cheaper at launch on the Mac App Store and why it will get updated to v4 for free and why v4 on iOS is 50% off for launch). They might drop the Mac App Store price again at v4 launch.

Hmm, that's too bad, I was actually warming to the idea of a bundle. But as you said, they can still offer deals to just the software, and I'll wager they will before too long. It doesn't even require a v4 launch. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a boxing day sale or something. Whatever the next price break is, I'll go with that.

NATO
Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
Okay I'll rephrase as I'm not sure I put that the best way originally.

I don't mind a $12/yr subscription to LastPass because that's all I need to worry about (and besides, it's free apart from the mobile app - if I wanted to get a password without using the app I could use Safari on my iPhone/iPad to get it, the dedicated mobile app is a convenience more than anything else).

When I was using 1Password in the past, I had a choice of seperate apps, or a more expensive Universal app (for iPhone AND iPad). Once I paid for that, I had to pay for the Mac OS X app. Then when I needed to access my passwords at work I had to buy the Windows app too. Then of course if a new version came out I'd have to purchase all those over again.

I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it all, so I went with LastPass, I pay a simple $12/yr and I get unlimited access and updates through the Chrome extension on the Mac/Windows desktop and access through the mobile app on my iPhone and iPad.

I understand people wanting to store their passwords on Dropbox rather than trusting them to the LastPass servers and I fully respect that. However, on the balance of things, LastPass suited me better for the reasons above.

It's just my opinion, I know people choose the tool that suits them best and that's fair enough.

avanpelt
Dec 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Am I missing something? If someone doesn't want to upgrade, they can keep using their existing copy of 1Password on their iOS devices, correct?

I just launched 1Password 3.x on my iPhone and it still works just fine. Looking at the new features of 1Password 4 and thinking about how I use the program, I don't really see it being worth it for me to upgrade at this time. 1Password 3.x already does everything I need.

NAG
Dec 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
It's just my opinion, I know people choose the tool that suits them best and that's fair enough.

Fully respect that, I just didn't understand your original reasoning since it seemed contradictory (and 1Password for iOS was a complete disaster until recently so it is understandable).

Drag'nGT
Dec 13, 2012, 10:32 AM
I don't see the point. I have the current version and it exists to tell me my passwords on the go when an app either forgets due to an update or something. I only use it to see my password and copy paste it in place. That function isn't worth $8. It's no where near as useful to me as the desktop app.

This update would have to allow integration into mobile Safari for me to even see a reasonable point in the update.

farleysmaster
Dec 13, 2012, 10:37 AM

I think you can use iTunes filesharing or direct import via the app. I haven't upgraded the mac app, but it's not useless to me.

----------

Am I missing something? If someone doesn't want to upgrade, they can keep using their existing copy of 1Password on their iOS devices, correct?

I just launched 1Password 3.x on my iPhone and it still works just fine. Looking at the new features of 1Password 4 and thinking about how I use the program, I don't really see it being worth it for me to upgrade at this time. 1Password 3.x already does everything I need.

Only thing I would say is, it's fairly cheap and may not be as cheap later if you decide you do require the features.

AppleInLVX
Dec 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
I think you can use iTunes filesharing or direct import via the app. I haven't upgraded the mac app, but it's not useless to me.

Ah, so then I can somehow get at the data and do copy/paste to Safari on my mac? If so, then that's a decent workaround until I get the desktop version. Thanks for the tip, I will check that out!

farleysmaster
Dec 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
I assume (not sure) you can use the file it generates for Dropbox.

----------

Direct import would be if you had the previous iPhone app on your device

Stella
Dec 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
This update would have to allow integration into mobile Safari for me to even see a reasonable point in the update.

Sadly, not possible. Limitation of iOS itself. If it were possible, a lot of apps that have their own inbuilt browsers would be doing this already.

NAG
Dec 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
Sadly, not possible. Limitation of iOS itself. If it were possible, a lot of apps that have their own inbuilt browsers would be doing this already.

I keep hoping that the next version of iOS will have some sort of Services feature but they keep disappointing me.

d21mike
Dec 13, 2012, 11:01 AM
Any word on when the Mac v4 will be released? I understand I can buy the 3.9 version and upgrade for free but I want iCloud support on all of my devices. I am new to 1Password. I went ahead and bought the iOS version but don't plan to enter my data until I get the Mac Version. Is their a beta version of Mac v4?

NAG
Dec 13, 2012, 11:05 AM
Any word on when the Mac v4 will be released? I understand I can buy the 3.9 version and upgrade for free but I want iCloud support on all of my devices. I am new to 1Password. I went ahead and bought the iOS version but don't plan to enter my data until I get the Mac Version. Is their a beta version of Mac v4?

Version 3.9 is fully compatible with v4. The only thing it lacks is iCloud sync so you'll have to use Dropbox (or direct syncing which is a huge pain in the rear). You can do both iCloud and Dropbox syncing at the same time so it isn't a huge deal. You'll have to get the Mac App Store version though so I'd keep an eye out for sales there.

iRCL
Dec 13, 2012, 11:08 AM
This should be 99 cents. Got to be kidding me.

NAG
Dec 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
This should be 99 cents. Got to be kidding me.

I'm going to say that for everything I buy in the future. I bet the employees will get a huge laugh and we'll all do a slow motion high five while the sun sets.

ryanide
Dec 13, 2012, 11:16 AM
This is not a simple update. This app is completely new. The new integrated browser is awesome. The easy access to auto-fill addresses and credit cards in addition to the logins are really handy. I will probably never use Safari for any online accounts or commerce again.

This app is now universal whereas the prior iPhone and iPad apps were separate purchases.

If you ever tried to create any graphics for these apps, you would know how much work these guys have put into this new version. It's worth $8 alone just for the aesthetics.

Any anyone who thinks that storing your passwords in an excel document is a great alternative to spending $8, deserves to have your identity stolen! See how much you'd pay then.

ngenerator
Dec 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
I'm liking the idea of it, however I haven't been able to use v4 yet. I keep getting the error "Failed to list data folder in Dropbox. The operation couldn't be completed. (dropbox.com error 404.)

bummer

NAG
Dec 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
I'm liking the idea of it, however I haven't been able to use v4 yet. I keep getting the error "Failed to list data folder in Dropbox. The operation couldn't be completed. (dropbox.com error 404.)

bummer

I believe it is looking for 1password.agilekeychain in the 1Password directory at the base of your Dropbox (Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain). They changed where it was located somewhere along the line.

ngenerator
Dec 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
I believe it is looking for 1password.agilekeychain in the 1Password directory at the base of your Dropbox (Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain). They changed where it was located somewhere along the line.

I just got it as I was pulling up this thread to see if anyone had an answer :) Before 1P4, the keychain file was just located in Dropbox/ , but now there is a 1Password folder in Dropbox that it was looking for. Looks like the migration from v3>v4 on my phone didn't work the way they wanted it to. Oh well.

Thanks for the help, and the confirmation :)

Undecided
Dec 13, 2012, 12:14 PM

That's basically where I'm at on this too. Is there any other actual functionality that improves handling of passwords?

jmacr
Dec 13, 2012, 12:14 PM

I'm definitely mad. I bought the iPhone version AND the universal version only to be left to spend yet another $8. Seriously. I have been a 1Password supporter for many years, and probably will continue by necessity, will continue to be, but this is seriously lame.

lhotka
Dec 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
And they dropped the best feature - bi-directional wi-fi syncing. The iTunes sync instructions are non-existent. Basically it looks like you have multiple manual steps, but it's totally unclear if you can merge the files, or if it's just a one-way replacement.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ok guys, incoming list of answers. I hope. If I miss something please let me know. This is from page 1 of this discussion. Page 2 will come soon.

The Mac version is not something that will be available "soon." We're a small team, one app at a time.

iOS 6 provides many many improvements for developers. We use many of them to make it so we can provide a better experience for our users. I do apologize for the trouble here. We wish it was as simple as supporting previous versions, but it just isn't possible.

I don't mind paying again for the app, but the browser (which is the whole point of using this app) hasn't evolve enough for me to pull the trigger.

The browser is a HUGE update. It supports tabs, separate from the data in the app. So you can now switch back and forth between data and browser. The browser now lets you fill just like you do on the Mac and does Credit Cards, usernames and passwords, and also identities. It's probably one of the biggest updates to the application.

One user this morning said it has changed the way he uses his iPad. I happen to agree, it may not seem like much, but after using it I can't go back.

What would you like to see it do? Realize we may be limited by Apple on this.

I sorry but this is just so stupid...I did purchase old app at the full price...What they mean with universal all?

We're offering a variety of options for users that purchased from Nov 15 to two days ago (when the old app was pulled).

The old app is still available to install if you purchased:

iPhone: App Store->Updates->Purchases
iPad: App Store->Purchases

The new app is universal. One app. All iOS devices. Previously we had a Universal app, an iPhone only app and an iPad only app.

1Password 4 is a brand new app. From the ground up. Thousands of developer hours, testing hours, and tech support tears were shed in making this version. Virtually nothing in this app was carried over from the previous version.

We discounted the app to help existing users upgrade. We really hope you enjoy the app as much as we enjoyed creating it. If you have any concerns, please contact us directly (see my signature).

If I get this will it get this for iOS, will it sync on the iMac for free, or will i have to pay extra for the Mac version. I am currently using Lastpass

The Mac version is a separate purchase. I should note that 1Password is not a subscription service. So you buy it once and it works for as long as you want. We still provide technical support for 1Password 2 (for Mac) and that was released over 3 years ago.

We haven't charged for a Mac upgrade since 1Password 3, if I recall, it was between $20-30 for existing 1Password 2 users.

The notes you're seeing are for the 4.0.2 update we put up. We released 4.0, which contained all of the new features in the list. Unfortunately, we had some bugs that we had to fix. So the release was delayed and we issued an update. The App Store is showing "New Changes" for the 4.0.2 update, not the original 4.0 update.

It's a huge upgrade and a complete ground up rewrite. Some features to list off:

* Brand new 1Browser
* Favorites
* Folder support
* Filling of credit cards and identities in the browser
* Customizable item fields
* iCloud syncing

And more!

d21mike
Dec 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
Does 1Password for Mac 3.9 support iTunes File Sharing? I do not want to use Dropbox and the iOS Version only supports iCloud, Dropbox and iTunes File Sharing.

Undecided
Dec 13, 2012, 12:43 PM

One of the things that irritated me is that the wallet items were very limited. For example, there was no way to distinguish between credit cards and debit cards; no way to add fields of interest to me like rebates, foreign transaction fees, annual fee, date to call them to get them to waive the annual fee :); no way to flag accounts/cards as "closed" (but still keep the info there); etc.

Is it now more flexible to handle all that?

Ishimaru
Dec 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
It's really sad that people think $8 is expensive, yet have an iPhone that cost them at least $99 or more. If you were a developer of software, wouldn't you want to get paid for your work? Do you really think selling your app for $.99 is going to pay all your bills? It's dumb that people think everything should be $.99 and everything else is "expensive". Give me a break people. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be using an iPhone or you should get a better job that pays you more. Hell, you pay $10+ just to go see a movie in the theaters. Let's not think like children who think everything is entitled to them, and think like adults with some common sense.

lhotka
Dec 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
Does 1Password for Mac 3.9 support iTunes File Sharing? I do not want to use Dropbox and the iOS Version only supports iCloud, Dropbox and iTunes File Sharing.

Not in the app directly, you just point itunes to the agilekeychain file on the host.

But, it's not a Sync anymore! It just replaces the device file with the one on the mac. No-bidirectional syncing of individual passwords.

d21mike
Dec 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
Does 1Password for Mac 3.9 support iTunes File Sharing? I do not want to use Dropbox and the iOS Version only supports iCloud, Dropbox and iTunes File Sharing.I just found out you can copy the file from the desktop version to the App in iTunes and the iOS Devices can Sync from there. This appears to be manual but maybe a solution while waiting for the Mac v4 to be released.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
Onward to page 2!

Why after 13th?

It's really the 15th and as others stated, it's kind of like a 30 day return policy type deal.

Well worth the update even just for the favourites feature.

I personally use the Favorites feature 90% of the time I open the app. :) We're glad you like it!

Even better, the AgileBits website info says it needs iOS 4.3. Off I went and bought it on my iPad (running iOS6), I go to download it on my iPhone (iOS5): "This app requires iOS 6."

I'm a bit annoyed.

There was an issue on the site that showed the old app data still. I've made the proper people aware. The new app is iOS 6 only. I'm very sorry for the confusion though. As you can imagine, for a small company that is getting this much press we are extremely overwhelmed and doing our best to keep our heads above water. This shouldn't affect users like yourself, but I hope it helps in understanding how much of a challenge this has been for us.

I am sure if you have purchased it over the past 5-6 weeks they will show an element of goodwill.

Never hurts to ask. Shoot us a support request. See my signature for details.

Well I should indeed say that I will buy it all the same. I've been using this since it was in beta stages years ago. I rely on it.
I do believe iCloud sync is not available for the desktop version yet, which is silly because it should have been updated all together to be truly useful. Also people are reporting that DB sync is not working. I hope the desktop is updated and its free. I paid for this on the iPad, iPhone, and desktop. I'd like not to pay $7.99 three times again as a truly loyal customer.

Dropbox issues in the early release last night was due to Dropbox's Authentication Server going down. There are a few issues with Dropbox/iCloud syncing but it seems to be a select few users. If you're having trouble, contact us (see my signature) and we'll help out.

This article on mobile password managers may be of interest:
http://www.elcomsoft.com/WP/BH-EU-2012-WP.pdf

This data is all out of date with regard to 1Password 4. So please keep that in mind as you read that.

The 4-digit pin in the old sense is gone. You can now setup a quick unlock code:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Settings/ios-auto-locks.html

So this doesn't work from within Safari? You have to go into the app and launch your password protected site from the app? Do I understand that correctly?

We can't integrate into Safari. iOS does not allow this. If we could, we'd definitely look into it.

Well that kind of sucks for those of us who purchased 1Password a while back. I understand they have to keep making money and the software is great, but it's still somewhat disappointing since the nature of the App Store is that most future updates are free for those who've already bought the software. I may look into other options like LastPass or just stick with version 3 and decide what to do when it's eventually no longer supported.

We would've loved offering more options for this. But free updates for life is a sure fire way to not stay in business. For some history though, we never charged for updates to the previous apps from version 1 to version 3.7.2. That's over 3 years of free updates.

I'm sorry you feel that way though. 1Password 3 is still supported, just not sold any longer.

Looks like they removed the WiFi sync between iOS and OS X in the new iOS version. This is IMHO a huge step backwards. I don't want to store a keychain on Dropbox!

Wi-Fi Sync has been removed from 1Password 4 for iOS because, honestly, it was not a great customer experience. It was difficult to set up, and more so, difficult for many customers to maintain. The app on the Mac and the iOS device would need to be open simultaneously, and it was a very manual process.

Also, if the Wi-Fi network's information changed, sync would break completely. You have no idea how many routers we've asked customers to reboot!

Cloud syncing via iCloud (iOS for now, Mac soon, by soon I mean months but not years) and Dropbox is effortless and automatic. It provides the best experience for customers because it is consistent, fast, and reliable.

If the cloud is not your cup of tea, we have added iTunes File Sharing. iTunes File Sharing works over USB or iTunes' built-in Wi-Fi Sync for your device. It skips the Internet entirely and connects either directly to your computer, or at most over your local wireless network. You can get started with iTunes File Sharing here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/iTunes-File-Sharing/itfs-getting-started.html

1Password 4 is more than just a facelift. It's a brand new app from the ground up. New features include:

* Favorites
* Folders
* Attachments
* 1Browser (Filling for Credit Cards, Passwords, and Identities)
* Tabs in the browser window
* iCloud syncing (can be used at the same time as Dropbox syncing, too)

The list goes on. Including a brand new look. But that's only one of the many updates.

nuckinfutz
Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
Love the update!

It's been stable for me. The import process was easy and all data seems to be where it should be.

The Browser is MUCH better. I can see myself using it far more. I love the icons for the categories. I do have one issue.

Some stuff was categorized in an interesting manner. Meaning ...I have Alaska and Delta airlines in different categories. One is in Rewards and the other in Memberships. Does the iOS version allow us to edit categories?

Also Kyle how do Linked Accounts work. Frederico Vittichi reference them in his review. I'm assuming that the linked accounts allow me to add sub-domains under a given login but I'd certainly like to know more about this feature.

Also ...Agile adding "Demo Mode" is going to help out tremendously. I hate having to hide my phone when I login to show people how it works. Problem solved.

You already have my $8.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 12:59 PM
Hmm, that's too bad, I was actually warming to the idea of a bundle. But as you said, they can still offer deals to just the software, and I'll wager they will before too long. It doesn't even require a v4 launch. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a boxing day sale or something. Whatever the next price break is, I'll go with that.

Yea, we can't bundle iOS apps with anything. Limitation of the App Stores. Sign up for our newsletter and you'll typically hear about promotions that way.

1Password 3 is still available for purchasers in the Purchased section of the App Store. It won't go away from there.

We also still provide technical support for it. That won't be going away.

The Mac version is a ways off. Don't expect it anytime soon.

If you purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store you'll get a free upgrade to 1Password 4 (for Mac only) when it comes out in the future.

bummer

If you're still having trouble (i think it fixed up for you though) please contact us so we can help. Forums like this don't work well for support :) See my signature for the links.

d21mike
Dec 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cloud syncing via iCloud (iOS for now, Mac soon)AGKyle, this statement seems to contradict your prior statement in your other post.

"The Mac version is not something that will be available "soon." We're a small team, one app at a time."

Which is it? Are you planning to add iCloud support to version 3.9.nnn? I am a software developer myself and I don't like to give out dates until the programming is done and I am simply doing final testing. But, if you could give us a some more details about when we can get iCloud Sync it would be really helpful since it is such a big feature of the iOS Version.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
Page 4!

That's basically where I'm at on this too. Is there any other actual functionality that improves handling of passwords?

Lots of new features. It's a brand new app!

* Favorites
* Folders
* 1Browser (filling of credit cards, identities and passwords!)
* Tabbed browsing built in
* iCloud syncing
* Attachments!

So much more!

I'm definitely mad. I bought the iPhone version AND the universal version only to be left to spend yet another $8. Seriously. I have been a 1Password supporter for many years, and probably will continue by necessity, will continue to be, but this is seriously lame.

Sorry you're mad. We would love to provide free updates for life, but free for life isn't something our accountant thought was a good idea. At least not if you wanted to see the app continue to exist.

All joking aside, we would really have loved to included this for free for everyone. But as others have stated, we have families to feed and bills to pay. Most importantly, to make sure we can continue to provide world class customer support we couldn't provide it for free. I am sorry though.

We hope you enjoy 1Password 4 as much as we've enjoyed making it!

And they dropped the best feature - bi-directional wi-fi syncing. The iTunes sync instructions are non-existent. Basically it looks like you have multiple manual steps, but it's totally unclear if you can merge the files, or if it's just a one-way replacement.

Wifi syncing is extremely temperamental. Some users had no issues. Others couldn't get it to work at all. We felt it was not giving our users the best possible experience we could provide.

Is there a reason why you can't use Dropbox syncing? If you have security concerns I can probably give you all the information you need for security on that. We all use Dropbox here at AgileBits. We wouldn't ask you to do it if it wasn't secure.

Let me know what your concerns are and I'll tackle them.

iTunes File Sharing is done through iTunes.

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/iTunes-File-Sharing/itfs-getting-started.html

Let me know if that helps explain it.

One of the things that irritated me is that the wallet items were very limited. For example, there was no way to distinguish between credit cards and debit cards; no way to add fields of interest to me like rebates, foreign transaction fees, annual fee, date to call them to get them to waive the annual fee :); no way to flag accounts/cards as "closed" (but still keep the info there); etc.

Is it now more flexible to handle all that?

You can now add fields to any item. Want a Annual Fee field? You can add it. :)

I just found out you can copy the file from the desktop version to the App in iTunes and the iOS Devices can Sync from there. This appears to be manual but maybe a solution while waiting for the Mac v4 to be released.

Yup, manual syncing only with iTunes File Sharing. It basically puts the data in a file that can be dragged out of iTunes. See here:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/iTunes-File-Sharing/itfs-getting-started.html

Love the update!

It's been stable for me. The import process was easy and all data seems to be where it should be.

The Browser is MUCH better. I can see myself using it far more. I love the icons for the categories. I do have one issue.

Some stuff was categorized in an interesting manner. Meaning ...I have Alaska and Delta airlines in different categories. One is in Rewards and the other in Memberships. Does the iOS version allow us to edit categories?

Also Kyle how do Linked Accounts work. Frederico Vittichi reference them in his review. I'm assuming that the linked accounts allow me to add sub-domains under a given login but I'd certainly like to know more about this feature.

Also ...Agile adding "Demo Mode" is going to help out tremendously. I hate having to hide my phone when I login to show people how it works. Problem solved.

You already have my $8.

Hrm. Interesting issue. On your Mac, are each of them the same "type" of item? You'll find them in the Wallet area, but Memberships and Reward programs would be different items in 1Password 4, though both were under "wallet" in the previous version.

As for the linked accounts. These are for Logins only. If you edit a login, you'll see a "Website 2" option appear. This lets you use the same username/password on two separate domains. (gmail.com and google.com for example).

Demo Mode was created for our use, but we felt it was so great that we had to give it to users too! Glad you're enjoying it!

mcrawley
Dec 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
Onward to page 2!
snip....

Cloud syncing via iCloud (iOS for now, Mac soon{See note below}) and Dropbox is effortless and automatic. It provides the best experience for customers because it is consistent, fast, and reliable.

...Snip....

* Customizable item fields - Awesome! Documentation?

The Mac version is a ways off. Don't expect it anytime soon.

Do the seemingly conflicting "soons" mean that the Mac v3 is going to get iCloud syncing prior to v4?

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
AGKyle, this statement seems to contradict your prior statement in your other post.

"The Mac version is not something that will be available "soon." We're a small team, one app at a time."

Which is it? Are you planning to add iCloud support to version 3.9.nnn? I am a software developer myself and I don't like to give out dates until the programming is done and I am simply doing final testing. But, if you could give us a some more details about when we can get iCloud Sync it would be really helpful since it is such a big feature of the iOS Version.

Perhaps soon was the wrong word to use. We don't plan to release the Mac version in the near future. It'll be month rather than weeks or days. I'll edit my original reply to clarify (nothing will be removed, just added). So, lets say months. Soon is relative I guess, but not sooner than that.

It won't be in version 3.

Do note that you can sync Dropbox and iCloud at the same time. Our new syncing manager can sync to both.

nuckinfutz
Dec 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
Yup ..just tried the Linked Account feature when I found a site wasn't prompting my login info at its sign in page. Worked like a charm.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Do the seemingly conflicting "soons" mean that the Mac v3 is going to get iCloud syncing prior to v4?

Yea, sorry for the conflicting responses here. As you can imagine seeing 4 pages of replies can become overwhelming fast.

Let me clarify that:

Soon is not soon in days or weeks. Soon is in months, but not in years.

We don't have any official release schedule for the Mac version.

It's important to note that the current version of 1Password 3 cannot do iCloud syncing. Many people are unaware that iCloud syncing requires data be in a particular format and designed around being able to be stored in iCloud. It's pretty specific.

To Sync with iCloud we had to rewrite the format we used for 1Password 4. We'll release details on this for users to read in the future. It's just not ready yet. Though if you have questions, contact us via support and we can give you some information if you're worried about something specific.

----------

Yup ..just tried the Linked Account feature when I found a site wasn't prompting my login info at its sign in page. Worked like a charm.

Do note that these new websites added here do not transfer to the Mac. They won't disappear on the iOS version, but they won't show up on the Mac. This feature only works on iOS.

Pretty awesome feature though :)

mcrawley
Dec 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
Kyle - thanks for the quick replies.

* Customizable item fields - Awesome! Is there documentation? And will they show up in v3 for Mac or PC?

And I use a number of smart folders keyed on tags on the Mac version - anyway these can be pulled into the folder tab on v4?

Yujenisis
Dec 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
If I buy 1Password 3.8 from the Agile Store, can I still get a free copy of 1Password 4?

We have not yet announced our free upgrade terms for customers who purchase from the Agile Store. However, if you purchase from the Mac App Store, you will get a free upgrade to 1Password 4.

I was happy to shell out $8 for an improved version of the iPhone/iPad app.

I will, however, not be happy if my long-term support for this company means I am treated less well than people who bought the same App for the same price from the MAS.

The whole reason I bought 1Password directly from the developer was to support AgileBits and save them Apple's 30% cut. I knew about the company and the quality of the product already and thought they deserved the difference.

Why is it even a question that they'd treat non-MAS 1Password users differently?

Gandalf!
Dec 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
Kyle,

I appreciate your all your responses. The new app is fantastic!

Two questions -

I was trying to re-categorize a current login (my bank) to the banking category from within the app and didn't see a way to do that. Is that possible or will it be in a future update?

If my wife and I have different iCloud accounts, should we just use dropbox for syncing on our iPhones or is iCloud syncing still possible?

Thanks!

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
Kyle - thanks for the quick replies.

* Customizable item fields - Awesome! Is there documentation? And will they show up in v3 for Mac or PC?

And I use a number of smart folders keyed on tags on the Mac version - anyway these can be pulled into the folder tab on v4?

There is some documentation here:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Features/Vault/ios-manage-items.html

Basically when you create an item you'll see the same type of thing you see in the Contacts/Phone app when adding a new contact.

They won't show up on the Mac or PC, though. Sorry about that.

Smart Tags are actually pretty CPU intensive. And not easily done on an iOS device yet. Perhaps in the future.

aristobrat
Dec 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
Like the UI upgrade piece that lets you flag your favorites (and view them on their own screen), so you don't have to search thru a list of 100+ for the 5 that you use on a regular basis? :confused:

lhotka
Dec 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
Wi-Fi Sync has been removed from 1Password 4 for iOS because, honestly, it was not a great customer experience. It was difficult to set up, and more so, difficult for many customers to maintain. The app on the Mac and the iOS device would need to be open simultaneously, and it was a very manual process.

Also, if the Wi-Fi network's information changed, sync would break completely. You have no idea how many routers we've asked customers to reboot!

Cloud syncing via iCloud (iOS for now, Mac soon, by soon I mean months but not years) and Dropbox is effortless and automatic. It provides the best experience for customers because it is consistent, fast, and reliable.

If the cloud is not your cup of tea, we have added iTunes File Sharing. iTunes File Sharing works over USB or iTunes' built-in Wi-Fi Sync for your device. It skips the Internet entirely and connects either directly to your computer, or at most over your local wireless network. You can get started with iTunes File Sharing here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/iTunes-File-Sharing/itfs-getting-started.html

Except that those instructions are totally useless. They assume that you're already in the app, but you can't get into the app to follow them! If you select 'already use 1password', and the 'itunes sync' it just opens up an Apple KB article. No information on what file to sync (I can't seem to find the agilekeychain file on the mac to point it to).

It also appears that this is a one-way bulk keychain transfer, not a true password-level incremental sync, so that's a major reduction in functionality.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
I was happy to shell out $8 for an improved version of the iPhone/iPad app.

I will, however, not be happy if my long-term support for this company means I am treated less well than people who bought the same App for the same price from the MAS.

The whole reason I bought 1Password directly from the developer was to support AgileBits and save them Apple's 30% cut. I knew about the company and the quality of the product already and thought they deserved the difference.

Why is it even a question that they'd treat non-MAS 1Password users differently?

The whole story is something like this.

We wanted to release the Mac App Store version for customers. They were asking for it. It took longer than expected. The plan was to release the Mac version of 1Password 4 much sooner. Things happen, right?

So we offered this for MAS customers because we felt it was the right thing to do.

I don't think we'll be leaving website customers without options. What those options are, I don't know, but it's something you'll have to be patient and wait for when 1Password 4 for Mac is closer to release. There just isn't anything to tell you right now or I'd be happy to help.

We've always tried to do what is right for our customers. There are limits to this but we don't plan to leave you high and dry. Please try to keep that in mind when asking "What would AgileBits do?" If you have concerns, ask us and we'll try to help. Shoot me a message via the support link in my signature if you have questions, title it "Attention Kyle" and I'll make sure to respond to you personally.

Kyle,

I appreciate your all your responses. The new app is fantastic!

Two questions -

I was trying to re-categorize a current login (my bank) to the banking category from within the app and didn't see a way to do that. Is that possible or will it be in a future update?

If my wife and I have different iCloud accounts, should we just use dropbox for syncing on our iPhones or is iCloud syncing still possible?

Thanks!

You're welcome! And thank you for the kind words. I'll pass it along to the team :)

There isn't a way to recategorize items. At this point you still want to keep items separate. I'm not sure how this may change in the future. But for now, banking area stuff is for storing banking related things and logins are for logins. You can just add custom fields to them now, which wasn't possible before.

You'll need to use Dropbox if you use separate iCloud accounts. All of the iCloud syncing is handled by iCloud. We sort of put data in a folder and iCloud syncs that data by magic. So we can't control what iCloud account it goes to. It just goes to the iCloud account that is setup on the iOS device.

Dropbox you can control though. So if you go that route you'll get the ability to share the same data.

Please let me know if that helps or not.

lhotka
Dec 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
Wifi syncing is extremely temperamental. Some users had no issues. Others couldn't get it to work at all. We felt it was not giving our users the best possible experience we could provide.

Is there a reason why you can't use Dropbox syncing? If you have security concerns I can probably give you all the information you need for security on that. We all use Dropbox here at AgileBits. We wouldn't ask you to do it if it wasn't secure.

Let me know what your concerns are and I'll tackle them.

Well, aside from the fact that use of cloud services is prohibited by company policy (and we have thousands of Mac users - a substantial portion of which use - or used to use - 1Password), I wouldn't trust dropbox with anything after their history.

Here's an example Someone hacks dropbox and starts collecting 1password keychains even if they can't hack them yet. Then down the road, a vulnerability in 1Password is discovered. All of a sudden, all your passwords are now exposed. Syncing security data to a cloud service is simply a bad idea.

And again, that link is useless. Try it. Start with a clean iOS app. Click 'existing user'. Then click 'iTunes sync' and see what happens.

And still no answer on if it's a real-sync (individual bi-directional passwords), or if it's just a wholesale DB replacement.

BornAgainMac
Dec 13, 2012, 01:47 PM
As soon as the Mac version gets updated for iCloud then I'll upgrade my iOS version.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 01:49 PM
Except that those instructions are totally useless. They assume that you're already in the app, but you can't get into the app to follow them! If you select 'already use 1password', and the 'itunes sync' it just opens up an Apple KB article. No information on what file to sync (I can't seem to find the agilekeychain file on the mac to point it to).

It also appears that this is a one-way bulk keychain transfer, not a true password-level incremental sync, so that's a major reduction in functionality.

Correct. The way this works is this:

Mac or PC version of 1Password creates a file called 1Password.agilekeychain

You can drag this file from the desktop to the iOS device via iTunes. You can edit that file and drag the contents out of iTunes onto the Mac or PC.

You are correct in that there is no incremental sync. It's all or nothing.

If you open 1Password on your Mac, then click 1Password->Preferences in the menu bar. The General tab will tell you where the data file is.

You can then open that location in Finder and drag the file into iTunes to copy it onto the iOS device.

Hope that helps out a little.

AppleInLVX
Yea, we can't bundle iOS apps with anything. Limitation of the App Stores. Sign up for our newsletter and you'll typically hear about promotions that way.

Thank you for your feedback!

And FWIW, I find the fact that you're participating in a fan site and taking the time answer concerns very encouraging. This goes a long way to making me feel like I bought into something people care about, and far more likely I'll continue to support it. Cheers to you!

Gandalf!
You're welcome! And thank you for the kind words. I'll pass it along to the team :)

There isn't a way to recategorize items. At this point you still want to keep items separate. I'm not sure how this may change in the future. But for now, banking area stuff is for storing banking related things and logins are for logins. You can just add custom fields to them now, which wasn't possible before.

You'll need to use Dropbox if you use separate iCloud accounts. All of the iCloud syncing is handled by iCloud. We sort of put data in a folder and iCloud syncs that data by magic. So we can't control what iCloud account it goes to. It just goes to the iCloud account that is setup on the iOS device.

Dropbox you can control though. So if you go that route you'll get the ability to share the same data.

Please let me know if that helps or not.

Perfect! Thanks again Kyle!

Yujenisis
I don't think we'll be leaving website customers without options. What those options are, I don't know, but it's something you'll have to be patient and wait for when 1Password 4 for Mac is closer to release. There just isn't anything to tell you right now or I'd be happy to help.

I'm happy to be patient. I just wanted to express my feelings of frustration about how one set of customers gets clarity in this area while the other is left wondering if they will arbitrarily be treated differently.

I think it is a testament to your company, and your work as an employee, that you take the time to listen to the concerns of your customers. Even the ones who are frustrated. :D

Thanks.

GoCubsGo
Dec 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
snip

I don't think we'll be leaving website customers without options.

snip
I certainly hope that is true. Because I have used this app since it was in beta, I never thought to buy from the MAS. I don't want to be left behind because of that.

lhotka
Correct. The way this works is this:

Mac or PC version of 1Password creates a file called 1Password.agilekeychain

You can drag this file from the desktop to the iOS device via iTunes. You can edit that file and drag the contents out of iTunes onto the Mac or PC.

You are correct in that there is no incremental sync. It's all or nothing.

If you open 1Password on your Mac, then click 1Password->Preferences in the menu bar. The General tab will tell you where the data file is.

You can then open that location in Finder and drag the file into iTunes to copy it onto the iOS device.

Hope that helps out a little.

It confirms was I was afraid of. Losing incremental sync is a huge feature regression.

Your FAQ/Help page needs to have much better instructions on how to set it up (it still refers to the old pre-app store file location), and you need to explicitly indicate that it is NOT a sync. It's a database copy.

Oh, and one more question - if I add a password on iOS, then won't it just sync back the file and overwrite the mac one? What happens if both keychains are updated? Which one wins?

WesCole
Correct. This is a limitation of iOS since Apple don't allow plugins for mobile Safari. It does suck, but hopefully Apple will change this in the future.

This only works for when you've already got 1Password open, not for the initial launch unlock. Still, better than having to enter master password every time 1Password locks.

I would LOVE for Apple to allow extensions like 1Password in Safari for iOS...that would make this app soooo much more useful. They did integrate their own browser for iOS, but it isn't quite as good as Safari. It isn't terribly hard to switch from Safari to 1Password, copy my password, and switch back to Safari to paste it in, but Apple should allow extensions anyway...it probably wouldn't be hard to do.

lhotka
Dec 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
It confirms was I was afraid of. Losing incremental sync is a huge feature regression.

Your FAQ/Help page needs to have much better instructions on how to set it up (it still refers to the old pre-app store file location), and you need to explicitly indicate that it is NOT a sync. It's a database copy.

Oh, and one more question - if I add a password on iOS, then won't it just sync back the file and overwrite the mac one? What happens if both keychains are updated? Which one wins?

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
Thank you for your feedback!

And FWIW, I find the fact that you're participating in a fan site and taking the time answer concerns very encouraging. This goes a long way to making me feel like I bought into something people care about, and far more likely I'll continue to support it. Cheers to you!

I try my best. Days like today I'm spread very very thin and bouncing all over. So, I'm doing what I can here but as you can tell my responses are a little short (in length) but I'm happy to expand on things when it calms down. :)

But thank you so much for the kind words. I'm just sorry I was a little late to this one or I could've been on top of the questions faster.

Perfect! Thanks again Kyle!

Absolutely my pleasure!

I'm happy to be patient. I just wanted to express my feelings of frustration about how one set of customers gets clarity in this area while the other is left wondering if they will arbitrarily be treated differently.

I think it is a testament to your company, and your work as an employee, that you take the time to listen to the concerns of your customers. Even the ones who are frustrated. :D

Thanks.

I totally understand. I try to mention what I can here to help people know that if they are frustrated don't be frustrated until AFTER the details are known :) It's all in flux until we tell users what's going on. Pricing for the iOS app wasn't known until recently.

I've worked for my fair share of companies that didn't treat their employees well. I finally said enough is enough and found one that stands behind them. Believe me, if you are patient, kind, considerate and are willing to know that you can't have the moon we'll do what we can. Sometimes though things conspire against us. Just know we're doing our best.

I certainly hope that is true. Because I have used this app since it was in beta, I never thought to buy from the MAS. I don't want to be left behind because of that.

You won't be left behind, you'll have options. I just don't know what they are at this time. It's simply too early to know. Give it a few and things will start to solidify.

Glad to hear you've been a user for so long (longer than me actually!).

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 02:09 PM

Quoting both since they seem to be repeats (at the end).

I'll see what I can do about the syncing guide when things calm down a bit. Added to the todo list. Thanks for the feedback as it lets me target specific things well. Appreciate that.

Correct on the "syncing" thing. You need to manually manage this. My suggestion would be that you don't do any edits on the iOS device and only do it on the Mac if you're worried here.

I'll pass this along to our developers. We never say never, but wifi syncing probably won't make a come back. Perhaps we can improve on the iTunes sharing though to help with this type of situation.

lhotka
Dec 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
Quoting both since they seem to be repeats (at the end).

I'll see what I can do about the syncing guide when things calm down a bit. Added to the todo list. Thanks for the feedback as it lets me target specific things well. Appreciate that.

Correct on the "syncing" thing. You need to manually manage this. My suggestion would be that you don't do any edits on the iOS device and only do it on the Mac if you're worried here.

I'll pass this along to our developers. We never say never, but wifi syncing probably won't make a come back. Perhaps we can improve on the iTunes sharing though to help with this type of situation.

Yeah, duplicate entries.

You should rename it from syncing then, both because it's not the same as the old solution, and because it doesn't sync anything - it just copies files.

You guys almost lost me (and the other users at my company) when you refused to support the FireFox ESR release stream. This is another nail in the coffin.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, duplicate entries.

You should rename it from syncing then, both because it's not the same as the old solution, and because it doesn't sync anything - it just copies files.

You guys almost lost me (and the other users at my company) when you refused to support the FireFox ESR release stream. This is another nail in the coffin.

ESR releases are tough. We don't refuse to support them, we just don't have an easy way of handling multiple extensions. There is a workaround:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/browser-extensions/compatibility-with-firefox-esr

That said, the demand for the ESR releases is pretty low. I see maybe one customer a month asking. Please send me a message via our support page and we'll discuss more and I can approach the devs with some more information. Just make sure you mention who you are and the situation and put "Attention Kyle" somewhere so that one of the other team members can assign it to me if need be. We have over 1600 people waiting for answers. It may take me a day to get to you. Just a heads up on that.

farleysmaster
Dec 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
I got the pro version of the old app and I believe it became universal at the same time the iPad version was released. I may just be lucky but I don't feel I've been charged twice for the same thing and the £5 I just spent is more than worth it for the daily use I get out of it!

unplugme71
Dec 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
I bought it. Much cheaper than when I paid $19.99 for the Pro that works on both iPad/iPhone

gri
Dec 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
ESR releases are tough. We don't refuse to support them, we just don't have an easy way of handling multiple extensions. There is a workaround:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/browser-extensions/compatibility-with-firefox-esr

That said, the demand for the ESR releases is pretty low. I see maybe one customer a month asking. Please send me a message via our support page and we'll discuss more and I can approach the devs with some more information. Just make sure you mention who you are and the situation and put "Attention Kyle" somewhere so that one of the other team members can assign it to me if need be. We have over 1600 people waiting for answers. It may take me a day to get to you. Just a heads up on that.

Will it transfer automatically the passwords from the 3.X version into the new one?

Romf
Dec 13, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hi, just bought it.

Dropbox sync was not working, I found solution here but had to put hands in the grease (get the 1password file, create a 1password folder and copy inside, THEN select Dropbox sync).
When I got this to work, it made all "website adress" duplicate... Don't know if it's because I had iCloud AND dropbox sync ON, but it's supposed to work. I turned icloud sync off, we will see.

I have some problems with the browser:

1.When i click the site adress in a "Login" item category, the browser launches with the adress in the adress bar but doesnt load the website. I have to clic on the adress, then in the keyboard on the access button.

2. I have an enterprise website with a basic login / password access. I put everything in a login item in 1password.
When I access the website via the integrated browser, it fills correctly the 2 boxes, but the website says "invalid password".
But the very weird thing is, when I reveal the password in the app it has no mistake, and if I copy/paste it to the password box on the website... login works.

I sent an email to developers about this with the website adress.... It's really weird

Drag'nGT
Dec 13, 2012, 04:27 PM

Thank you, but I know that. That impossibility was the point of the post. IE, I have no desire to pay $8 to have a new UI for an app I use only on occasion if it doesn't actually add something to it's functionality.

I LOVE 1Password on my Mac. Couldn't live without it. I have personally signed up over 5 people with a 1Password account and continue to tell people about it. Two weeks ago I told my Department Director and his staff about it. I especially like how the significant updates only cost me $19 when they updated from v1 to v2 and v2 to v3. I was eager to give them my money. And as long as they do something similar with the v3 to v4 upgrade for Mac I will again shell out $19.

I am not however a big user of the mobile app since the companies that I would keep a secure code with have their own Apps (Amazon, Bank of America, Chase, Capital One etc...) So there is no need to 'log in'. But when they have an update that wipes out my current saved log in, like Flickr did this week, I use the 1P app. Or, wait until I get home.

lhotka
Dec 13, 2012, 05:21 PM

We gave up asking months ago when it became clear you guys wouldn't support them, but since the current plugin will run on the new ESR, that should help (at least until you drop support for FF17).

I've got a private ticket open on the original wi-fi sync issue, so I'll add a new comment to it.

user418
Dec 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
I use eWallet ... Is this app that much better?

Guess we're the only two using eWallet. It has worked well for me over the past few years. Never tried 1Password so don't know how much better or worse it may be. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has tried both.

dolphin842
Dec 13, 2012, 05:41 PM
Ok guys, incoming list of answers. I hope. If I miss something please let me know.

Hey Kyle, thanks for taking the time to answer questions here on what is no doubt a busy day.

I had one quick security question: Any word if we should be concerned about the following 1Password issue brought up by this paper (mentioned by an earlier forum member) (http://www.elcomsoft.com/WP/BH-EU-2012-WP.pdf), or if it's been addressed in the latest version?

However, because PKCS7 padding is used when encrypting database encryption key, it is possible to verify password just by computing KEK (using MD5 hash function), decrypting last block of encrypted database key, and checking if it equals to 16 bytes with value 0x10 (this will be the PKCS7-compliant padding when encrypting data whose length is exactly N blocks of underlying cipher). Thus, very fast password recovery attack is possible, requiring one MD5 computation and one AES trial decryption per password.

AGKyle
Dec 13, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hey Kyle, thanks for taking the time to answer questions here on what is no doubt a busy day.

I had one quick security question: Any word if we should be concerned about the following 1Password issue brought up by this paper (mentioned by an earlier forum member) (http://www.elcomsoft.com/WP/BH-EU-2012-WP.pdf), or if it's been addressed in the latest version?

Anytime!

That issue was taken care of back in the 3.6.5 release of 1Password and does not affect 1Password 4.

You can read about the fix in 3.6.5 here:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/04/09/1password-ios-pbkdf2-goodness/

Note the dates, this was back in April :)

----------

We gave up asking months ago when it became clear you guys wouldn't support them, but since the current plugin will run on the new ESR, that should help (at least until you drop support for FF17).

I've got a private ticket open on the original wi-fi sync issue, so I'll add a new comment to it.

Private message me on here with the URL you receive in the private email you get back after sending.

If you did it on the website, if you did it via email, send me your email you used and I'll find it and try to get some reply to you asap.

----------

Hi, just bought it.

Dropbox sync was not working, I found solution here but had to put hands in the grease (get the 1password file, create a 1password folder and copy inside, THEN select Dropbox sync).
When I got this to work, it made all "website adress" duplicate... Don't know if it's because I had iCloud AND dropbox sync ON, but it's supposed to work. I turned icloud sync off, we will see.

I have some problems with the browser:

1.When i click the site adress in a "Login" item category, the browser launches with the adress in the adress bar but doesnt load the website. I have to clic on the adress, then in the keyboard on the access button.

2. I have an enterprise website with a basic login / password access. I put everything in a login item in 1password.
When I access the website via the integrated browser, it fills correctly the 2 boxes, but the website says "invalid password".
But the very weird thing is, when I reveal the password in the app it has no mistake, and if I copy/paste it to the password box on the website... login works.

I sent an email to developers about this with the website adress.... It's really weird

Please private message me either the URL you received in a response email (there should be one if you used the website) or the email address you used if you emailed it in.

I'll take a quick look asap

----------

Will it transfer automatically the passwords from the 3.X version into the new one?

Yes, there is a bug however related to Dropbox syncing.

If you're using Dropbox syncing, just resync with Dropbox.

If you're not using Dropbox, just follow the instructions as an existing user and it will walk you through transferring the data from the old app to the new app.

Be sure to make a backup just in case:

To create a backup of your iPhone data please follow the instructions in How To: Back up your 1Password Data on the iOS. You'll want to follow the instructions for Backing up only.

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-for-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad/how-to-back-up-your-1password-data-on-the-ios-devices-before-upgrading-your-ios

Save this file in a safe location just in case.

opq
Dec 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
It's still hard for me to believe that the iOS part of 1Password 4 will cost $17.99 after this 'limited time launch sale'.

Apple's Pages, Keynote and Numbers iOS apps are $9.99 each and so far they've been free upgrades for life (iPhone version came after iPad, and they are now universal apps). So AgileBits is trying to convince us that the iOS part alone, not including the Mac and Windows counterparts, is worth TWICE as much as an iWork app?

Yes, 1Password 4 gains a few features and is a lot prettier, but fundamentally, it's remembering my usernames and passwords. How has that changed?

Like most people I feel ripped off having paid $11.99 for 1Password Pro 3 for iOS less than 6 months ago and having to pay again so soon. If Pages, Keynote and Numbers is still being updated with new features, features such as a new iPhone version for users who bought them with only the iPad versions built in, for free, I don't see why this is a paid upgrade that costs as much as the original if not more. I'd love to support my local devs, but I can't stand how these guys are branding themselves as the 'small time developers charging only what they can', and the worst part is, the Internet seems to be buying their story. But then again, people buy the 'organic' and 'local' food premiums. For that reason I guess I'll stick with the current version until it stops being supported.

Edit: If incremental syncing as mentioned above is indeed gone, along with my favorite Wi-Fi syncing, it's not just a coat of paint with no forward movement (new features), but definitely a step back (I might be convinced otherwise when iCloud sync gets brought to the Mac/Windows versions). With the features I use most missing, I probably wouldn't upgrade even if it was free (maybe backup the old version, but still). Surprised how many people are paying $8 to go backwards, I guess 1Password 4 has been a marketing win!

dolphin842
Dec 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
That issue was taken care of back in the 3.6.5 release of 1Password and does not affect 1Password 4.

You can read about the fix in 3.6.5 here:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/04/09/1password-ios-pbkdf2-goodness/

Excellent, thanks!

If Pages, Keynote and Numbers is still being updated with new features, features such as a new iPhone version for users who bought them with only the iPad versions built in, for free, I don't see why this is a paid upgrade that costs as much as the original if not more.

Apple makes its money in hardware, so they can subsidize the cost of developing software. Ask most independent developers who make apps for a living... they know that unless your user base is growing significantly every year (which increases support costs, etc.), it's unsustainable to sell an app once and support it for years. The LastPass model (small, recurring subscriptions) is much more sustainable and I wouldn't be surprised if most software moves to that model in the future.

opq
Dec 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
Excellent, thanks!

Apple makes its money in hardware, so they can subsidize the cost of developing software. Ask most independent developers who make apps for a living... they know that unless your user base is growing significantly every year (which increases support costs, etc.), it's unsustainable to sell an app once and support it for years. The LastPass model (small, recurring subscriptions) is much more sustainable and I wouldn't be surprised if most software moves to that model in the future.

The store around the block charging me $10 for a sushi combo, where 30% goes to the govt as business tax right away. Then there are the cost of materials, plus labor, plus rent, plus hydro/gas/etc, plus furniture.

It doesn't cost developers selling on the App Store a cent more to sell an extra copy, whereas it does cost more to sell a second sushi combo. Yet the store around the block still thrives.

I don't mind the Flight Control or Angry Birds model. Give me a new version (an actual new version, not just a coat of paint) and I'll happily pay for a new version.

I'm not saying subscriptions or paid upgrades themselves are inherently bad, just the amounts being charged. I know Apple is a much bigger operation that could afford to charge $10 for Pages, or $20 for Mountain Lion, but the sushi store around the block is just as much independent as a small time developer is. I guess at $7.99 I could understand, but the notion that they'll charge $17.99 after the 'sale'...

aristobrat
Dec 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
The store around the block charging me $10 for a sushi combo, where 30% goes to the govt as business tax right away. Then there are the cost of materials, plus labor, plus rent, plus hydro/gas/etc, plus furniture.

It doesn't cost developers selling on the App Store a cent more to sell an extra copy, whereas it does cost more to sell a second sushi combo. Yet the store around the block still thrives.
Developers selling in the App Store don't get repeat customers like your store around the block does.

If you like the sushi combo, you'll be back to that shop to purchase it again. If you eat at the shop twice a month, even if he only nets $3 after the cost of materials/labor/rent/water/gas/etc, your repeat business will earn the owner $72 in a year.

If you like a piece of software, you're not going to be back to purchase that same version again. So even though it may not cost the developer anything to sell additional copies (which isn't the case, IMO), that developer isn't going to earn any additional money from you.

Your store around the block would be out of business within a month if faced with the same model that software developers work with!

forza69
Dec 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
I haven't read any post, so I was wondering what the difference between 1Password and 1Password Pro is. Which is better? I currently have 1Password Pro and I'm wondering if I should buy the new version now since its at a discount price.

knucklehead
Dec 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Give me a new version (an actual new version, not just a coat of paint) and I'll happily pay for a new version.

There could be a good argument made that the actual "new version" was 3.6.5, as mentioned a few posts above. You got that for free...

I'm glad someone is is actually working on this stuff for me, and I'm willing to pay then to continue to do so.

opq
Dec 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
There could be a good argument made that the actual "new version" was 3.6.5, as mentioned a few posts above. You got that for free...

I'm glad someone is is actually working on this stuff for me, and I'm willing to pay then to continue to do so.

Did I? According to their blog, that version came out Apr 9th 2012 (http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/04/09/1password-ios-pbkdf2-goodness/), I purchased the app mid June 2012 for $11.99. My credit card statement shows I definitely didn't get it for free :\

knucklehead
Dec 14, 2012, 12:19 AM
Did I? According to their blog, that version came out Apr 9th 2012 (http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/04/09/1password-ios-pbkdf2-goodness/), I purchased the app mid June 2012 for $11.99. My credit card statement shows I definitely didn't get it for free :\

It was a free upgrade ...

Hey - I've been a long time user of this app, and have griped a bit about the cost at times too ... (not really sure what I've spent total on all this:confused:)

Thing is, they need to get continuing revenue somehow to keep developing the program, and they have only so many options to do so selling though Apple. You just hopped on the train at an unfortunate time for the short term cost.

There are other options for password managers. AgileBits hasn't driven me away yet with the overall longterm cost/benefit ratio --- but let me know if you find a better option --- I'm open :)

opq
Dec 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
It was a free upgrade ...

Hey - I've been a long time user of this app, and have griped a bit about the cost at times too ... (not really sure what I've spent total on all this:confused:)

Thing is, they need to get continuing revenue somehow to keep developing the program, and they have only so many options to do so selling though Apple. You just hopped on the train at an unfortunate time for the short term cost.

There are other options for password managers. AgileBits hasn't driven me away yet with the overall longterm cost/benefit ratio --- but let me know if you find a better option --- I'm open :)

For people who bought in before the 'free upgrade' then yes. I was trying to put a spin on the fact that I didn't buy before that 'free upgrade' so I didn't get the said free upgrade.

m00min
Dec 14, 2012, 05:23 AM
Urgh! I haven't actually used the app yet but I wanted to take advantage of the upgrade price. I really wish I hadn't. The incorrect system requirements was annoying but I figured I could use v4 on my iPad and stick with v3 on my iPhone.

Guess again. NO WAY AM I SYNCING SENSITIVE DATA VIA A CLOUD! Why is the removal of wifi syncing not made clear on the AppStore info?

Someone's already pointed out the flaw in using a cloud service to sync so I won't repeat it. I take my customers data very seriously so sadly I think I will have to start looking for an alternative password storage system. A shame as I've been using 1Password for years.

For the first time ever I will be looking into applying for a refund from the AppStore.

obtutus
Dec 14, 2012, 06:03 AM
Another interesting read:
http://www.informationweek.com/security/encryption/security-fail-apple-ios-password-manager/232602738 ;)

Razeus
Dec 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
It's really sad that people think $8 is expensive, yet have an iPhone that cost them at least $99 or more. If you were a developer of software, wouldn't you want to get paid for your work? Do you really think selling your app for $.99 is going to pay all your bills? It's dumb that people think everything should be $.99 and everything else is "expensive". Give me a break people. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be using an iPhone or you should get a better job that pays you more. Hell, you pay $10+ just to go see a movie in the theaters. Let's not think like children who think everything is entitled to them, and think like adults with some common sense.

It's not that it's expensive. It's just that they didn't do anything that makes the app BETTER. UI upgrade is just a facelift. That's all fine and dandy, but the program still performs as it always does. iCloud syncing should be free update, frankly, but I use Dropbox so it's a non issue for me. Favorites? I already have that because I created a folder for these...

If you can sit there and list what version 4 does BETTER than version 3.x.x, then I'm all ears.

I would have LOVED to see tighter integration with the Safari iPhone browser so I don't have to use the built in Agile browser. But they didn't do that, unfortunately. I would have loved to see 256-bit security or stronger security measures. I would have loved for them to NOT have the Agile keychain sitting at the base level of my Dropbox folder and allow me to put it in my "Applications" folder, because this just messes up my OCD folder structure.

Until the Mac version is released, this is a no sale. Even then, if the Mac version is also a facelift (especially for $50), then we have 2 no sales on our hands.

AGJamie
Dec 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
It's not that it's expensive. It's just that they didn't do anything that makes the app BETTER. UI upgrade is just a facelift. That's all fine and dandy, but the program still performs as it always does. iCloud syncing should be free update, frankly, but I use Dropbox so it's a non issue for me. Favorites? I already have that because I created a folder for these...

If you can sit there and list what version 4 does BETTER than version 3.x.x, then I'm all ears.

Here's a list (http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/ios-why-upgrade.html)

Things like having the password generator everywhere you'd need it is a huge improvement. Sync is vastly improved and the brilliant heroics Roustem put into its conception was simply jaw-dropping when I first saw it.

The other thing that's massive for many users is the ability to view items' attachments. Roustem again did some amazing things here to make it possible to decrypt even large attachments without overly taxing the system's resources, i.e. 1Password would crash if it had to load an entire attachment into memory to decrypt it. Roustem made sure that this wasn't required.

I would have LOVED to see tighter integration with the Safari iPhone browser so I don't have to use the built in Agile browser. But they didn't do that, unfortunately.

Sadly, this isn't possible. We have some cool ideas for how to expand 1Password's reach in the future, but I have to keep a lid on those for now. :)

I would have loved to see 256-bit security or stronger security measures.

We should be making a bigger deal of this, but we're still working on writing it up. 1Password 4 does indeed use 256-bit keys. While 128-bit keys protected by a strong master password would take trillions of years to brute force attack, we wanted to make it future-proof and now that the iOS hardware supports it without sacrificing performance, we upped the ante.

Also, in the old data format (and the format still used by 1Password on the other platforms right now except the browser extensions; we're working to move this data format ahead to other platforms soon.) some non-critical data was left unencrypted like the title and location. This was a performance compromise that we're eager to leave behind as we move forward.

In addition to this, we've added HMAC authentication for encryption and a unique details key for every entry. This is heady stuff that causes even my head to swim after a while (I'm glad we have people on our team that speak this stuff fluently…), but it's critical to make sure that everything is kosher between 1Password's attempts to access the data from disk. That's new in 1Password 4.

I would have loved for them to NOT have the Agile keychain sitting at the base level of my Dropbox folder and allow me to put it in my "Applications" folder, because this just messes up my OCD folder structure.

We tried this initially, using Dropbox's sandboxed applications folder, but some users needed to put the data into a location that they could then share with another Dropbox user. The current default is Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain and that seems to have been a good middle ground. Not everyone loves it, but for now, it's the best approach.

Until the Mac version is released, this is a no sale. Even then, if the Mac version is also a facelift (especially for $50), then we have 2 no sales on our hands.

If you purchased the Mac version from the Mac App Store, the upgrade will be free for you when 1Password 4 is released. (We don't have a timeframe to share about that right now. We're still handling the surge from the iOS release. :)) For those who purchased from our online store directly, the current plan is for it to be a paid upgrade.

I hope this information helps.

--
Jamie Phelps
Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

----------

Another interesting read:
http://www.informationweek.com/security/encryption/security-fail-apple-ios-password-manager/232602738 ;)

I'd like to add that the security improvements I mentioned above should address all of the concerns Elcomsoft raised. This was a very important report and we're grateful to Elcomsoft for their work in making sure that things are the best they can be.

----------

I figured I could use v4 on my iPad and stick with v3 on my iPhone.

You can still use both versions. Syncing is only via Dropbox for this setup, but it does work.

Guess again. NO WAY AM I SYNCING SENSITIVE DATA VIA A CLOUD! Why is the removal of wifi syncing not made clear on the AppStore info?

The vast majority of our users are syncing via Dropbox already. Wi-Fi Sync has been removed from 1Password 4 for iOS because, honestly, it was not a great customer experience. It was difficult to set up, and more so, difficult for many customers to maintain. The app on the Mac and the iOS device would need to be open simultaneously, and it was a very manual process.

Cloud syncing via iCloud (iOS for now, Mac soon) and Dropbox is effortless and automatic. It provides the best experience for customers because it is consistent, fast, and reliable.

If the cloud is not your cup of tea, we have added iTunes File Sharing. iTunes File Sharing works over USB or iTunes' built-in Wi-Fi Sync for your device. It skips the Internet entirely and connects either directly to your computer, or at most over your local wireless network. You can get started with iTunes File Sharing here. (http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/iTunes-File-Sharing/itfs-getting-started.html)

Someone's already pointed out the flaw in using a cloud service to sync so I won't repeat it. I take my customers data very seriously so sadly I think I will have to start looking for an alternative password storage system. A shame as I've been using 1Password for years.

You're very right to be concerned about the security of your data! We're equally concerned to keep your data secure. We've written a dedicated document to describe how [this is secure](http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html) but the short version is that your data is encrypted before being sent to the cloud. If you have a strong master password, it would still take an attacker trillions of years to brute force attack your data file even if the cloud storage were somehow breached.

I hope this helps!

--
Jamie Phelps

----------

I haven't read any post, so I was wondering what the difference between 1Password and 1Password Pro is. Which is better? I currently have 1Password Pro and I'm wondering if I should buy the new version now since its at a discount price.

1Password Pro was 1Password 3's universal app. It has the same features as the standalone iPhone and iPad apps but in one application for a reduced price. 1Password 4 is a whole new app to replace all of the 1Password versions we had before. It's universal for iPhone and iPad interface and only one app. We learned a lot about the confusion the previous approach could cause so we know this is the right move.

You can [read about what's new](http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/ios-why-upgrade.html) and decide if it's a compelling upgrade for you. If not, you can continue to use 1Password 3 for as long as your device will run it and it'll be available for you to redownload from the App Store's "Purchased" section.

--
Jamie Phelps

Razeus
Dec 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Thank you AGJaime. That was insightful to my concerns. It's nice to have a dev drop in and tell us these things and clear things up. I'm certainty looking forward to read the blog about the upgrade to 256-bit encryption since it's not on your feature list.

edit: oops, I see the 256-bit blurb now.

AGJamie
Dec 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Thank you AGJaime. That was insightful to my concerns. It's nice to have a dev drop in and tell us these things and clear things up.

My pleasure! I love talking to our amazing users.

I'm certainty looking forward to read the blog about the upgrade to 256-bit encryption since it's not on your feature list.

Our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts Jeff (Some of you might know him from his amazing and dense blog posts (http://blog.agilebits.com/author/jeff/).) is hard at work on documenting the improved security aspects of 1Password 4. I will come back here and share a link when it's ready.

lhotka
Dec 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
The vast majority of our users are syncing via Dropbox already. Wi-Fi Sync has been removed from 1Password 4 for iOS because, honestly, it was not a great customer experience. It was difficult to set up, and more so, difficult for many customers to maintain. The app on the Mac and the iOS device would need to be open simultaneously, and it was a very manual process.

Cloud syncing via iCloud (iOS for now, Mac soon) and Dropbox is effortless and automatic. It provides the best experience for customers because it is consistent, fast, and reliable.

If the cloud is not your cup of tea, we have added iTunes File Sharing. iTunes File Sharing works over USB or iTunes' built-in Wi-Fi Sync for your device. It skips the Internet entirely and connects either directly to your computer, or at most over your local wireless network. You can get started with iTunes File Sharing here. (http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/iTunes-File-Sharing/itfs-getting-started.html)

--
Jamie Phelps

Then the majority of your users are blind to the security risks - and frankly, your attitude makes me question your staff's entire approach to security (though I notice you didn't include secure in the list of dropbox advantages). Oh, and by the way, there's some good evidence that AES-128 is *more* secure than 256: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/another_new_aes.html

The threat model here is very real - dropbox has had a number of issues that exposed user data to both internal and external users. All it takes at that point is a single flaw in your encryption scheme to expose an entire password file (and given some of the papers linked to earlier here in the forum, it appears that your system may indeed have some flaws). And password files, while they may be a hard target, have a high value when compromised.

And please, STOP CALLING IT SYNC. The iTunes file transfer is NOT A SYNC. It's a one-way complete database replacement (though from your terrible online help and broken wizard, that's completely unclear). Continuing to do so is false advertising.

If it were a true sync, then it would be a clunky, but potentially usable replacement. Until you have password level, bi-directional syncing (i.e. what wi-fi sync does), it's not an option.

I've watched 1Password go down the tubes over the past few years.

d21mike
Dec 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
I decided to go ahead and get the Mac 3.9 Version and wanted to share my results.

I generally do all of this kind of maintenance work on my desktop and not my iOS Device (sitting at my desk most of the day). So instead of waiting for the Mac v4 I went with 3.9 which works well. I entered all of my data and then copied that to the iTunes icon. I then did a Sync with my iPad. I then turned on iPad Sync with iCloud and it then Synced with my iPad Mini and iPhone. I will continue this until the Mac v4 is released.

Very nice product.

AGJamie
Dec 14, 2012, 12:55 PM
I decided to go ahead and get the Mac 3.9 Version and wanted to share my results.

I generally do all of this kind of maintenance work on my desktop and not my iOS Device (sitting at my desk most of the day). So instead of waiting for the Mac v4 I went with 3.9 which works well. I entered all of my data and then copied that to the iTunes icon. I then did a Sync with my iPad. I then turned on iPad Sync with iCloud and it then Synced with my iPad Mini and iPhone. I will continue this until the Mac v4 is released.

Very nice product.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that's working for you. This will be an effective solution for you I feel, but just keep in mind that moving data via iTunes is a replace operation, so if you make all your changes on the desktop only or vice versa, it will work great.

AGJamie
Dec 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
Then the majority of your users are blind to the security risks - and frankly, your attitude makes me question your staff's entire approach to security (though I notice you didn't include secure in the list of dropbox advantages).

You're welcome to your opinion on this. If you choose not to sync your data to the cloud, that's fine. We don't force it on anyone, but we want our users to have all the information to make the best decision for them. This is one of the ways that we're different from some of our competitors. The cloud is available but not required.

Oh, and by the way, there's some good evidence that AES-128 is *more* secure than 256: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/another_new_aes.html

Yes, we're aware of that research, but the debate is still going and as Bruce points out in the post, there are some very specific conditions that have to be met in order for that issue to even arise, and it's not applicable to full AES-256, only 11-round. We're confident in the decision to go to 256-bit keys.

The threat model here is very real - dropbox has had a number of issues that exposed user data to both internal and external users. All it takes at that point is a single flaw in your encryption scheme to expose an entire password file (and given some of the papers linked to earlier here in the forum, it appears that your system may indeed have some flaws). And password files, while they may be a hard target, have a high value when compromised.

We're aware of those security concerns with cloud storage of course. Your scenario involves a lot of steps from data file in the cloud to a hard target being cracked. As we discuss in our design document (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html), we make sure that we don't write any actual crypto code. We only use what's been widely tested by the smartest crypto people on the planet. If there's a problem with the crypto we use for 1Password data, then anyone that uses Apple operating systems has much bigger things to worry about.

The flaw you mentioned before only applied to the SQLite format that 1Password 3 for iOS was using to store the data locally on the device. The Agile Keychain format (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html) has never been vulnerable to those same issues to my knowledge and when those issues that Elcomsoft raised were brought to our attention, we acted quickly to fix them and we were open and honest in our response (http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/03/16/strong-security-requires-strong-passwords/) to the paper and communicating with our users.

And please, STOP CALLING IT SYNC. The iTunes file transfer is NOT A SYNC. It's a one-way complete database replacement (though from your terrible online help and broken wizard, that's completely unclear). Continuing to do so is false advertising.

If it were a true sync, then it would be a clunky, but potentially usable replacement. Until you have password level, bi-directional syncing (i.e. what wi-fi sync does), it's not an option.

No one's called this a sync. It's iTunes File Sharing. iTunes can perform the syncing of the documents that are shared over USB or Wi-Fi. I'm sorry that language wasn't clearer. No, this is not a sync. But it is a way to move data from the desktop to the iOS application without using cloud syncing. It takes a little more thought to do so, but so did Wi-Fi syncing because you had to remember to launch both apps when you were on a network that would allow the Bonjour network connection.

I'm sorry you feel that way. If you'd like to share more about what you think could be improved, we'd welcome you to email our support team with your feedback at support@agilebits.com

Razeus
Dec 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
Then the majority of your users are blind to the security risks - and frankly, your attitude makes me question your staff's entire approach to security (though I notice you didn't include secure in the list of dropbox advantages). Oh, and by the way, there's some good evidence that AES-128 is *more* secure than 256: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/another_new_aes.html

HAS HAD are the key words. So you think Dropbox is no longer trying to improve their security features as time goes on? Just ask Microsoft, NOT every security hole will be solved at launched but gets solved as things come up. That's the way it is. Dropbox is probably the best in terms of security, speed, features, pricing, space, performance and apps. Remove your tin foil hat.

d21mike
Dec 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that's working for you. This will be an effective solution for you I feel, but just keep in mind that moving data via iTunes is a replace operation, so if you make all your changes on the desktop only or vice versa, it will work great.Understand, and that is not a problem for me. I did get Dropbox as a temporary solution for syncing between my desktop and my laptop. I plan to drop that when v4 comes out. I know I could put dropbox on my iOS Devices but just prefer not to do that just for this. I may reconsider later.

By the way, you may want to consider Sync over regular file sharing (APF, SMB/CIFS, WebDav) for those that do not want or are restricted from using the "cloud" and since you no longer supporting Wifi. Not an issue for me but just thought I would mention it. My office uses a VPN for all of our business files so I have access to saving my stuff there if I wanted too. Of course easy to do this on the Mac and Windows but not sure about iOS. However there are a number of iOS Apps that support this so maybe not that hard to do. Examples are iFiles, DS File, FileBrowser etc.

Anyway, I have wanting to do this for some time and with your v4 I finally decided that now was the time. Glad I did, this is much better then my old way of using a Secure ZIP File :).

dinggus
Dec 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
I always have issues with 1Password. It never updates just the website login information for when I have to change my password and then I have a few logins to try.

Also, is it normal to have multiple keychain files saved in DropBox for backups?

AGJamie
Dec 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
I always have issues with 1Password. It never updates just the website login information for when I have to change my password and then I have a few logins to try.

Yes, password changes are one of the areas where our browser extension is seriously lacking right now. Right now, the best thing to do is copy the password and update it in the existing login manually rather than saving a new login for the page. This is one of the things we hope to turn our attention to in the new year, a revamped browser extension that handles this and several other things better.

Also, is it normal to have multiple keychain files saved in DropBox for backups?

Are they all .agilekeychain files or are they zipped up? Double check your Backups location if you're on 1Password 3.8 on your Mac to make sure it's not pointed at your Dropbox folder. If you still have trouble, please email us (mailto:support@agilebits.com) with more details and a diagnostics report (http://support.agilebits.com/kb/troubleshooting/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you) and we'll investigate further.

--
Jamie Phelps

dinggus
Dec 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
Yes, password changes are one of the areas where our browser extension is seriously lacking right now. Right now, the best thing to do is copy the password and update it in the existing login manually rather than saving a new login for the page. This is one of the things we hope to turn our attention to in the new year, a revamped browser extension that handles this and several other things better.

Are they all .agilekeychain files or are they zipped up? Double check your Backups location if you're on 1Password 3.8 on your Mac to make sure it's not pointed at your Dropbox folder. If you still have trouble, please email us (mailto:support@agilebits.com) with more details and a diagnostics report (http://support.agilebits.com/kb/troubleshooting/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you) and we'll investigate further.

--
Jamie Phelps

Okay, thank you for that info. Below is the SS of my drop box.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/dinggus/1password_zps515d06f3.png

I'd love to start using this again because juggling my passwords and my work is having me start remembering passwords is getting exhausting.

whynot83706
Dec 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
So if i buy new version for iOS, version 4. Will I be able to sync version 4 with my Mac which has Version 3?

AGJamie
Dec 14, 2012, 02:31 PM
Okay, thank you for that info. Below is the SS of my drop box.

Image (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/dinggus/1password_zps515d06f3.png)

I'd love to start using this again because juggling my passwords and my work is having me start remembering passwords is getting exhausting.

Yes, it looks like your backup location is set to Dropbox. I assume you're on 1Password 3.8 (1Password > About 1Password to check), in which case go to 1Password > Preferences > Backup and set it to the default location of ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backup If that doesn't help, delete the com.agilebits.1Password plist files from ~/Library/Preferences and restart your Mac and that should reset the location.

I hope that helps. If not, please do email us and we'll dig in further.

--
Jamie Phelps

----------

So if i buy new version for iOS, version 4. Will I be able to sync version 4 with my Mac which has Version 3?

Yes, 1Password 4 syncs via Dropbox to any other 1Password version that supports Dropbox syncing. 1Password 4 for Mac will have iCloud support as well.

--
Jamie Phelps

lhotka
Dec 14, 2012, 02:52 PM
You're welcome to your opinion on this. If you choose not to sync your data to the cloud, that's fine. We don't force it on anyone, but we want our users to have all the information to make the best decision for them. This is one of the ways that we're different from some of our competitors. The cloud is available but not required.

Yes, we're aware of that research, but the debate is still going and as Bruce points out in the post, there are some very specific conditions that have to be met in order for that issue to even arise, and it's not applicable to full AES-256, only 11-round. We're confident in the decision to go to 256-bit keys.

We're aware of those security concerns with cloud storage of course. Your scenario involves a lot of steps from data file in the cloud to a hard target being cracked. As we discuss in our design document (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html), we make sure that we don't write any actual crypto code. We only use what's been widely tested by the smartest crypto people on the planet. If there's a problem with the crypto we use for 1Password data, then anyone that uses Apple operating systems has much bigger things to worry about.

The flaw you mentioned before only applied to the SQLite format that 1Password 3 for iOS was using to store the data locally on the device. The Agile Keychain format (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html) has never been vulnerable to those same issues to my knowledge and when those issues that Elcomsoft raised were brought to our attention, we acted quickly to fix them and we were open and honest in our response (http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/03/16/strong-security-requires-strong-passwords/) to the paper and communicating with our users.

No one's called this a sync. It's iTunes File Sharing. iTunes can perform the syncing of the documents that are shared over USB or Wi-Fi. I'm sorry that language wasn't clearer. No, this is not a sync. But it is a way to move data from the desktop to the iOS application without using cloud syncing. It takes a little more thought to do so, but so did Wi-Fi syncing because you had to remember to launch both apps when you were on a network that would allow the Bonjour network connection.

I'm sorry you feel that way. If you'd like to share more about what you think could be improved, we'd welcome you to email our support team with your feedback at support@agilebits.com

Go look at your web page - it's under Data Sync. Go look at the app - it's under Syncing.

Use the app - click 'previous user' then click 'itunes' and see what happens, then tell me again that you've provided adequate information about how to set it up, and the limitations involved.

Your support team has been brushing off cloud sync concerns for years. It's a significant risk (and for those who think I'm wearing a tinfoil hat, go read your TOS and point out where you have a remedy when your data is exposed - even their own attorneys know the risks).

d21mike
Dec 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Is this normal? If I use the 1Password Helper or just go into 1Password and Go to a site it works great and fills in my userid and password and does the login with Autosubmit active. But if I go to same site from a shortcut I have to hit the 1Password icon and then press enter to fill in the fills and then press continue to login. I guess I thought it would work like the Browser autofill of userid/password and other fields.

Talking about autofill in the browser. With identities how does it autofill like a credit card number. On a site, do I think hit 1Password icon and then select an identity to fill in the form? Seems like the browser works quicker.

Razeus
Dec 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
I'm convinced. Just bought it.

AGJamie
Dec 14, 2012, 03:55 PM
Is this normal? If I use the 1Password Helper or just go into 1Password and Go to a site it works great and fills in my userid and password and does the login with Autosubmit active. But if I go to same site from a shortcut I have to hit the 1Password icon and then press enter to fill in the fills and then press continue to login. I guess I thought it would work like the Browser autofill of userid/password and other fields.

Talking about autofill in the browser. With identities how does it autofill like a credit card number. On a site, do I think hit 1Password icon and then select an identity to fill in the form? Seems like the browser works quicker.

Hi, Mike. 1Password only fills information at your specific direction. Using Go & Fill or a 1Click bookmark (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/oneclick_bookmarks.html) can expedite the process for you and give a more seamless experience.

Identity and credit card filling follow the same rule; 1Password only fills when you ask it to. In some cases of identity filling, the browser can be faster, but it doesn't make it as easy to handle multiple identities—personal, work, anonymous—and as far as I know, no browsers support credit card filling out of the box.

--
Jamie Phelps

isomorphic
Dec 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
I love 1Password 3 on the Mac and iOS and I have no issues with upgrade pricing. I just bought 1Password 4 for iOS.

Unfortunately, the removal of the WiFi sync feature makes me think I just threw away $8. I won't sync my passwords through the cloud. Therefore, for me, 1Password no longer has any syncing ability.

The representation that WiFi syncing was "not a great customer experience" is disingenuous given that 1Password 4 ships with iTunes "syncing." I find it difficult to believe that anyone trying iTunes File Sharing would find it a "great customer experience."

I'll just come out and say it: Removing WiFi syncing and forcing the use of the cloud for syncing makes 1Password 4 less secure than 1Password 3.

d21mike
Dec 14, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hi, Mike. 1Password only fills information at your specific direction. Using Go & Fill or a 1Click bookmark (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/oneclick_bookmarks.html) can expedite the process for you and give a more seamless experience.

Identity and credit card filling follow the same rule; 1Password only fills when you ask it to. In some cases of identity filling, the browser can be faster, but it doesn't make it as easy to handle multiple identities—personal, work, anonymous—and as far as I know, no browsers support credit card filling out of the box.

--
Jamie Phelps
Code Wrangler @ AgileBitsThanks Jamie. I understand how to create 1 Click Book Marks and it works very well. The only problem is the time to maintain them. It would be nice if you had a 1 way Sync Option that maintain my bookmarks for me. My bookmarks are mostly organized by folder which are the same in 1Password. If I could say create bookmark folders directly from 1Password manually or automatically that would be very nice.

Regarding the identities and credit card filling. No problem there. I don't do it often and when I do it appears easy enough to use. I review it later.

Really enjoy using 1Password just looking for a better way to integrate into my workflow.

Razeus
Dec 14, 2012, 06:36 PM
How does editing the fields were Username and Password affect the function of the app?

For example, 1Password uses the name pulled by the website, I'm assuming. Sometimes, it's username or, UserName, or LoginID or what have you.

If I went through and changed them all to my liking, say User Name, how does doing that affect the function of the app?

AirThis
Dec 15, 2012, 02:59 AM
I bought it, but still find the categories to be difficult to understand. I need to easily be able to add new categories. The instructions point you to 'custom fields', but in fact I want custom categories. I find It baffling that I can't add a category named 'Phones' to store the pins/puks and other bits and pieces related to my 6 phone contracts.

The other comment I have is that the accompanying Mac Version is far too expensive in my opinion. The iOS version costs a couple of Euros whereas the OSX version costs around 6 times more. In fact, the Mac version costs almost twice as much as ML. That's difficult to justify in my book.

h00ligan
Dec 15, 2012, 03:45 AM
For those wondering if they will have to buy the next version from the mas

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-39-for-mac-from-mac-app-store/why-should-i-buy-1password-39-in-the-mac-app-store-if-i-already-own-a-3x-license

This is why I bought 3 on sale despite owning two licenses

I will buy 1p4 for ios. But it better start getting a whole lot better. This is their last chance to win me back from the hideously designed but highly functional lastpass.

m00min
Dec 15, 2012, 06:03 AM

If starting up both apps and entering a pass phrase to pair the devices is considered difficult then I'm surprised those users even know how to tie their own shoes. Wifi sync was certainly less manual than the downgrade to iTunes file sharing.

So I'm effectively paying for a downgrade. Nothing here explains why you would remove wifi sync. If users find it too difficult to use, maybe direct them to the less secure options. Why remove the feature though?

You're very right to be concerned about the security of your data! We're equally concerned to keep your data secure. We've written a dedicated document to describe how [this is secure](http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html) but the short version is that your data is encrypted before being sent to the cloud. If you have a strong master password, it would still take an attacker trillions of years to brute force attack your data file even if the cloud storage were somehow breached.

But not ALL the data is encrypted. The title and URL can themselves contain sensitive information.

metsjetsfan
Dec 15, 2012, 08:38 AM
I love 1Password 3 on the Mac and iOS and I have no issues with upgrade pricing. I just bought 1Password 4 for iOS.

Unfortunately, the removal of the WiFi sync feature makes me think I just threw away $8. I won't sync my passwords through the cloud. Therefore, for me, 1Password no longer has any syncing ability.

The representation that WiFi syncing was "not a great customer experience" is disingenuous given that 1Password 4 ships with iTunes "syncing." I find it difficult to believe that anyone trying iTunes File Sharing would find it a "great customer experience."

I'll just come out and say it: Removing WiFi syncing and forcing the use of the cloud for syncing makes 1Password 4 less secure than 1Password 3.

like wifi sync too, but does anyone know if that was secure?

Kissaragi
Dec 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
Wifi sync used to drive me mad, I was so glad when I switched to dropbox and iCloud will be even more convenient.

AGJamie
Dec 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
How does editing the fields were Username and Password affect the function of the app?

For example, 1Password uses the name pulled by the website, I'm assuming. Sometimes, it's username or, UserName, or LoginID or what have you.

If I went through and changed them all to my liking, say User Name, how does doing that affect the function of the app?

If you change the field's name in the All Fields section of 1Password, it will affect form filling. But, 1Password has the username and password designations that serve as a hint for which field is the username and password. So, for instance, if you come to a different login form on the same site that has different markup, 1Password has some heuristics to recognize a form with one text field and one password field (and with most forms that have multiple fields) and fill the data in the right field. But, for the most reliable filling, let 1Password keep the data that it pulled from the form where you saved the login.

--
Jamie Phelps

lhotka
Dec 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
Wifi sync used to drive me mad, I was so glad when I switched to dropbox and iCloud will be even more convenient.

Trading convenience for security is a tradeoff that might be a choice some will make, but it's not one that should be forced upon people - particularly by a company that claims to be concerned about security. By removing even the option of a secure, private sync, they force users to a much higher risk mechanism.

If the iTunes sync were a real sync, it would be different - but it's not. And I notice that the Agile guys aren't responding to my pointing out that 1) it's listed under sync on both the website and in the app itself which borders on false advertising, and 2) that there's even *less* documentation on how to get it to work than there was for wi-fi syncing.

isomorphic
Dec 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
like wifi sync too, but does anyone know if that was secure?

Not if you were using the WiFi at a Starbucks. But if it was on your home WiFi (that you control) behind a firewall, with WPA2, then sure. Besides, how could it be less secure than syncing with Dropbox?

Razeus
Dec 17, 2012, 08:17 AM
If you change the field's name in the All Fields section of 1Password, it will affect form filling. But, 1Password has the username and password designations that serve as a hint for which field is the username and password. So, for instance, if you come to a different login form on the same site that has different markup, 1Password has some heuristics to recognize a form with one text field and one password field (and with most forms that have multiple fields) and fill the data in the right field. But, for the most reliable filling, let 1Password keep the data that it pulled from the form where you saved the login.

--
Jamie Phelps

ok, thanks.:(

AGJamie
Dec 17, 2012, 10:21 AM
Not if you were using the WiFi at a Starbucks. But if it was on your home WiFi (that you control) behind a firewall, with WPA2, then sure. Besides, how could it be less secure than syncing with Dropbox?

The Wi-Fi sync mechanism itself is secure. When you initially set it up, you entered some randomly generated secrets that are used to encrypt the traffic between the two ends of the sync.

Starbucks Wi-Fi would never work for Wi-Fi syncing. Their firewall blocks access to the ports that 1Password uses and doesn't allow the Bonjour zero-config network discovery protocol that Wi-Fi sync relies on. This is the kind of thing that caught some users unawares. Imagine for a second that you need to sync your data when you're on the road in a hotel. Hotel Wi-Fi is the same situation. So too are many other situations like corporate networks and anything else where you don't have access to adjusting the configuration. This is just *one* of the pitfalls with Wi-Fi sync that has plagued users of 1Password since its initial release in 2008.

alvindarkness
Dec 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
Since this thread is now being monitored by agilebits staff, I just thought i'd throw my 2c in.

I'm a 1password customer on both the Mac, and on iOS (intact twice on iOS with v3 and v4). I couldnt live without it (especially on the Mac), but there is one glaring omission in the whole 1password world for me. I know you guys hate to hear it, but its the lack of Opera plugin. The *only* thing stopping me from using Opera as my primary browser is lack of plugin.

Not expecting much, just sowing another seed!

AGJamie
Dec 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
Since this thread is now being monitored by agilebits staff, I just thought i'd throw my 2c in.

I'm a 1password customer on both the Mac, and on iOS (intact twice on iOS with v3 and v4). I couldnt live without it (especially on the Mac), but there is one glaring omission in the whole 1password world for me. I know you guys hate to hear it, but its the lack of Opera plugin. The *only* thing stopping me from using Opera as my primary browser is lack of plugin.

Not expecting much, just sowing another seed!

Thanks for the feedback. This is something that we're keeping an eye on but for now we're focusing our browser extension development on "the big three": Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. They keep us very busy as it is. Opera fans are passionate users to be sure, but right now, they represent a minority in the grand landscape of browsers and 1Password users. Then again, maybe the reason more people don't use Opera is because there's no 1Password extension… :)

In all seriousness, though, thanks for letting us know this is important to you. We'll still keep an eye on Opera, but for now, I have to be honest and say it's not something we are working on or have plans for in the foreseeable future.

--
Jamie Phelps

Undecided
Dec 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
So should I delete the old app after installing the new one or what?

AGJamie
Dec 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
So should I delete the old app after installing the new one or what?

Generally, yes. Unless you have some compelling reason (such as Wi-Fi syncing) to need 1Password 3 around, once your data is safely inside 1Password 4, you can delete 1Password 3 from your device.

--
Jamie Phelps

JoelBC
Dec 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before but is it better to purchase 1Password from the MAc App Store or from AngileBits and, to the extent that there is a difference, please explain why one is preferred over the other.

Thanks,

Joel

d21mike
Dec 21, 2012, 07:51 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before but is it better to purchase 1Password from the MAc App Store or from AngileBits and, to the extent that there is a difference, please explain why one is preferred over the other.

Thanks,

JoelMac App Store. I believe they have dropped selling from AngileBits. And since it is from the App Store you can run it on all Mac's that use the same Mac Store ID.

Tilpots
Dec 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
Not thrilled about paying a third time for my iOS app, but this really is a useful tool. My question is this: If I'm at a third party computer and no iDevice is handy, with browser login to iCloud and/or Dropbox, using v4, will I be able to access my passwords? If so, how? If not, I believe I'll stay on v3. Thanks for the help.

JoelBC
Dec 26, 2012, 04:51 AM
Mac App Store. I believe they have dropped selling from AngileBits. And since it is from the App Store you can run it on all Mac's that use the same Mac Store ID.

I just went to the AgileBits website at https://agilebits.com/store and as you can see they are still selling direct so my question remains...where is the best place to purchase the software -- directly from AgileBits or indirectly from MAS -- and why...

Thanks,

Joel

AGJamie
Dec 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
I just went to the AgileBits website at https://agilebits.com/store and as you can see they are still selling direct so my question remains...where is the best place to purchase the software -- directly from AgileBits or indirectly from MAS -- and why...

Thanks,

Joel

Yes, we still sell directly, but if you're on Lion or later, the Mac App Store is the best way to purchase. You'll get the 1Password 4 for Mac upgrade for free and there are some nice additions there that aren't in 1Password 3.8 that we sell from our online store such as the menu bar application and the enhanced security of the application sandbox.

--
Jamie Phelps

----------

Not thrilled about paying a third time for my iOS app, but this really is a useful tool. My question is this: If I'm at a third party computer and no iDevice is handy, with browser login to iCloud and/or Dropbox, using v4, will I be able to access my passwords? If so, how? If not, I believe I'll stay on v3. Thanks for the help.

If you keep syncing 1Password 4 with Dropbox, you can still use 1PasswordAnywhere (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html) to access your data when you don't have a 1Password application handy. You might also be interested in this post (http://brettterpstra.com/quick-tip-using-1password-when-you-cant-use-1password/) that Brett Terpstra wrote recently.

--
Jamie Phelps

JoelBC
Dec 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
Yes, we still sell directly, but if you're on Lion or later, the Mac App Store is the best way to purchase. You'll get the 1Password 4 for Mac upgrade for free and there are some nice additions there that aren't in 1Password 3.8 that we sell from our online store such as the menu bar application and the enhanced security of the application sandbox.

Jamie Phelps

Jamie:

Appreciate the response...

As I am using the trial version which is 3.8.20 would you please expand on the menu bar application (i.e. what is it), the enhanced security of the sandbox (i.e. presumably you would not release an application that has security issues) and anything else.

At the same time are there reasons -- other than support fot Leopard -- that the direct version and the MAS version differ.

Thanks so much,

Joel

PS. I know that it is time consuming but it would be helpful to update the user's guide as the screen images are from a version that predates the text which makes it difficult to follow along.

PPS. It would also be helpful to explain how Dropbox synchronization works as that is not cobered anywhere.

Tilpots
Dec 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
[/COLOR]

If you keep syncing 1Password 4 with Dropbox, you can still use 1PasswordAnywhere (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html) to access your data when you don't have a 1Password application handy. You might also be interested in this post (http://brettterpstra.com/quick-tip-using-1password-when-you-cant-use-1password/) that Brett Terpstra wrote recently.

--
Jamie Phelps
Purchasing in 3... 2... :). Thanks for the info!

farleysmaster
Jan 4, 2013, 05:49 AM
What's happened to Wallet items?

forza69
Jan 5, 2013, 01:15 AM
Just to be completely sure. If I delete the 1password app from my phone, and download it again right after, all of my passwords will show up exactly how I had them if I'm synced with iCloud, right? Reason I ask is, I need to restore my iPhone 4S. I have 1password synced to iCloud. There's no option to backup to my computer so I need to know that all of my data will definitely reappear once I get the app back on my phone.

AGJamie
Jan 8, 2013, 10:28 AM
What's happened to Wallet items?

Wallet and Accounts have had all their subcategories hoisted to first order Categories citizens.

--
Jamie Phelps

----------

Just to be completely sure. If I delete the 1password app from my phone, and download it again right after, all of my passwords will show up exactly how I had them if I'm synced with iCloud, right? Reason I ask is, I need to restore my iPhone 4S. I have 1password synced to iCloud. There's no option to backup to my computer so I need to know that all of my data will definitely reappear once I get the app back on my phone.

That should be true. Make a fresh backup first though either to iCloud or to iTunes. Both of these options backup application data in addition to system settings.

--
Jamie Phelps

forza69
Jan 8, 2013, 10:59 AM
Wallet and Accounts have had all their subcategories hoisted to first order Categories citizens.

--
Jamie Phelps

----------

That should be true. Make a fresh backup first though either to iCloud or to iTunes. Both of these options backup application data in addition to system settings.

--
Jamie Phelps

Appreciate the answer and thankfully it worked. Now however I have a new problem. I restored my phone and reinstalled 1Password, once I opened it it said syncing with iCloud, put in my master password and it started getting my passwords. It stopped after only a few. It still says syncing. I first left it for an hour or two and it stayed the same. Deleted the app, reset network settings, turned off documents in icloud then started everything over again. Now a day later its still stuck on those same passwords. I already sent a log but have received no response.

farleysmaster
Jan 10, 2013, 06:41 AM

--
Jamie Phelps
Code Wrangler @ AgileBits[COLOR="#808080"]

I couldn't find the item I was looking for by searching. I'll have another look.

petalino
Feb 23, 2013, 05:47 AM
I made the mistake of buying 1Password without thoroughly reading the "fineprint". I bought it for my macs and now find out that I have to pay more to be able to also use it on an Ipad.

If you want to be using it on all of your Apple devices including Ipad, Iphone and desktop, you will have to shell out about $68.

I think that this price is completely out of range, considering that some similar applications are for free or for $2.

Aperture by Apple is a highly sophisticated software and it costs $80, while $67 for 1Password is a software snippet by comparison, yet it costs almost the same.

Just my 2 bleeding cents.....

scapegoat81
Feb 23, 2013, 06:56 AM

Wait so you initially paid for the app, & they charged u for an update !?
I'm on the fence w/ this app & if that's the case, I just made my decision. So lame

Tilpots
Feb 23, 2013, 07:56 AM
I think that this price is completely out of range, considering that some similar applications are for free or for $2.

Yet to see a password manager even remotely similar in scope, features and protection.

opq
Feb 23, 2013, 10:33 AM
Yet to see a password manager even remotely similar in scope, features and protection.

The older version had similar scope, features and protection, and more (WiFi Syncing)

forza69
Feb 23, 2013, 11:08 AM
I made the mistake of buying 1Password without thoroughly reading the "fineprint". I bought it for my macs and now find out that I have to pay more to be able to also use it on an Ipad.

If you want to be using it on all of your Apple devices including Ipad, Iphone and desktop, you will have to shell out about $68.

Aperture by Apple is a highly sophisticated software and it costs $80, while $67 for 1Password is a software snippet by comparison, yet it costs almost the same.

Just my 2 bleeding cents.....

$68 dollars? Wow that sucks. I paid $25. Includes Mac, iPhone, iPad.

farleysmaster
Feb 23, 2013, 11:43 AM
That seemed high, but then I saw the price on the Mac App Store is £34.99. Also the version number's higher. Not sure why that is.

Cheffy Dave
Feb 23, 2013, 03:35 PM

It's in the toolbar,as an extension, works fine

Razeus
Feb 25, 2013, 02:17 PM
Why can't I see the credit card numbers on the iOS app on my iPhone???? :mad:

FatLip
Aug 12, 2013, 10:29 AM

for your own security, you see the new upgrade improved features for developers (who ever they are selling you info to) is what your paying for.

Let me get this straight, i buy 1password 3, 7 months later v4 comes out, i have to buy it or stuck with no way to re download v3, i got a new iPhone dammit, and this company ripped its own clients off, i am sure news about their sharing peoples passwords will also surface, oh wait thats dropbox, hey one more thing come to think of it, dropbox is also another scam they used to trap users into sharing their info while paying for it too.

very clever crimes the FBI should be solving., i have to say it wont be too long before the law catches up with out laws in the digital age, im sure it will be called the digital civil war.

Razeus
Aug 12, 2013, 10:49 AM
I'm convinced that it's all a sham. The NSA has all the 256-bit keys for encryption. I don't believe these "we can't see your data" claims by these companies anymore. The NSA can get to anything they want, and these "private" companies are in cohoots with them.

AGKyle
Aug 12, 2013, 03:20 PM

Edit: I notice this was from February, so I'm a tad late to the bump the thread game here. Please contact our support if you're ever having trouble.

Which number are you not able to see?

If it's the CVV number, just tap on the field area for it and click Reveal.

With all issues, users should contact our support if they're having trouble. This isn't our support forum and we cannot promise to always respond quickly here.

Razeus
Aug 12, 2013, 04:03 PM
Edit: I notice this was from February, so I'm a tad late to the bump the thread game here. Please contact our support if you're ever having trouble.

Which number are you not able to see?

If it's the CVV number, just tap on the field area for it and click Reveal.

With all issues, users should contact our support if they're having trouble. This isn't our support forum and we cannot promise to always respond quickly here.

I solved the issue a while back. I reinstalled the app and viola.

AGKyle
Aug 13, 2013, 08:50 AM
I solved the issue a while back. I reinstalled the app and viola.

Good to hear. Sounds like a sync went awry or something like that. Seems to happen when Dropbox has an issue or the internet conks out for a few users now and then.