Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dobmat@

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
i just bought an old iBook G3 off Macofalltrades.com. 500 Mhz, 320 MB ram, 10 GB hard drive. it's running off Mac os 9.2.2. im wanting to get some songs off my current iMac G5. i just got that this summer. i tried everything i can think of. anyone know the best way to do it. i cant get them to network together.

also, should i upgrade it to Tiger? my friend thinks that'll slow it down to the point where i'll get to frustrated to use it. any input? i dont have the install disk for 9.2 so i couldnt go back.

any input would be most appreciated. thanks

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
install mac os 10.2 on the old ibook then you will have no more problems networking them togeather and 10.2 will run quite nice on the ibook but if you dont want to try that route find a program named dave it will allow you to network to that newer version of mac os and windows pc's useing a older mac running mac os 9.2.2

hope this helps oh and read up on how to set it up to cause dave is sorda hard to set up if your new to networking
i dunno if the ibook will take tiger without xpostfacto4 but i could be very wrong

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
The ibook should handle Panther 10.3.9 fine. I've loaded it on a g3 iMac 233; so the ibook is fine with that and that should make it easier to connect to the g5. I think. You can get Panther just about anywhere. I bought another copy for twenty bucks off Craigslist recently.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
yea either 10.2 or 10.3 either way you will be happy if you dont want to waight to find the mac os you can try dave Here for now so you can network the 2 mac's together cause if im not mistaken the 2 ver of mac os arnt compatable with each other over the network

blueangelman

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2005
Portugal
i have the ibook g3 800mhz 128mb..what i d like to know if i can put a wireless card in the slot? to upgrade memory i remove the keyboard and see a slot there..is that to the wireless card? :rolleyes:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
California said:
The ibook should handle Panther 10.3.9 fine. I've loaded it on a g3 iMac 233; so the ibook is fine with that and that should make it easier to connect to the g5. I think. You can get Panther just about anywhere. I bought another copy for twenty bucks off Craigslist recently.

I would second that advice.
Try putting Mac OS 10.3.9 (Panther) on it. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
blueangelman said:
i have the ibook g3 800mhz 128mb..what i d like to know if i can put a wireless card in the slot? to upgrade memory i remove the keyboard and see a slot there..is that to the wireless card? :rolleyes:

Well, it probably is. The iBook G3 in question should have a slot on the logic board for an Apple Airport card (not sure if it is Airport Extreme compatible though).

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
dobmat@ said:
i just bought an old iBook G3 off Macofalltrades.com. 500 Mhz, 320 MB ram, 10 GB hard drive. it's running off Mac os 9.2.2. im wanting to get some songs off my current iMac G5. i just got that this summer. i tried everything i can think of. anyone know the best way to do it. i cant get them to network together.

also, should i upgrade it to Tiger? my friend thinks that'll slow it down to the point where i'll get to frustrated to use it. any input? i dont have the install disk for 9.2 so i couldnt go back.

any input would be most appreciated. thanks
I have the same spec iBook with 10.3.9 Panther and it works great! I don't use it for much, but it networks just fine, and Airport works very well in it.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
is this the ibook you have here is this the slot you are talking about here yea it can only take the standard airport card 802.11b.and here is the officaly supported macs for 10.3 here and i didnt know it supported 10.3 or i would have said 10.3 instead of 10.2 i am still new to the mac world but i am learning and here is a link to buy the osx 10.3 here DVD and CD intallation disk's

what i was saying was mac os 9.2.2 and mac os 10-10.4 wont talk to each other on the network cause i think mac os 9.2.2 used appletalk that osx dont use any more.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
madmax_2069 said:
....what i was saying was mac os 9.2.2 and mac os 10-10.4 wont talk to each other on the network cause i think mac os 9.2.2 used appletalk that osx dont use any more.

you can set up an ethernet connection between the two.......a friend did this between his new ibook running OS 10.4.2 and an older powerbook which was running OS 8.1.....he was able to transfer his files ok.....activate appletalk on both computers, settin up file sharing and so on, and it'll work

important to remember!!! you have to work from the Chooser on the older computer in order to make the connection though, cant do it from OS 10....and then you copy the files from the old computer to your username's drop box on the new computer

seriously, it'll work ifyou set it up right

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Macky-Mac said:
you can set up an ethernet connection between the two.......a friend did this between his new ibook running OS 10.4.2 and an older powerbook which was running OS 8.1.....he was able to transfer his files ok.....activate appletalk on both computers, settin up file sharing and so on, and it'll work

important to remember!!! you have to work from the Chooser on the older computer in order to make the connection though, cant do it from OS 10....and then you copy the files from the old computer to your username's drop box on the new computer

seriously, it'll work ifyou set it up right

oops sorry i didnt know i thought appletalk wasnt supported in osx oops my bad ive been useing dave to talk to my other mac & pc's i know the mac osx will talk just fine with a pc but i needed to use dave with 9.2.2 to talk to the other computers 2 pc's running xp pro and a mac running mac osx 10.2

fencefixer

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2005
My Experience

I bought a used iBooh G3 800, 384 Memory, a CD, and cheap. So far I have installed a 512 Memory Module and a Air Port Card, and Tiger. Everythiong works great. Next, I will install a Sony CD-RW/DVD Combo. Having a blast with this thing. Since my swith to Mac two months ago, I have also purchased my wife a new G4 iBook and she loves it. Oh...the Air Port card sits in the slot under the key board. Make sure the cradle is there. Have fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.