Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
http://www.flawedmusicplayer.com/

"For those to lazy to read the whole thing: "Take your iPod and press on the screen. Are you touching the LCD? No. Try it with the outside screen on your cell phone. My RAZR and Sidekick II have no problems. But the Nano. Touch it, you will see the slightest pressure on the plastic protection actually flexes and allows you to touch the screen. This is the first thing Apple should have noticed. They are selling the Nano over the Shuffle why? Because it has a screen. Why aren't they concerned about the protection of that screen? Is Apple forgetting they are a company of quality and bowing down to capitalism and trying to make as much money as they can? I certainly hope not."

Anyone been through the same? The guy apparently gets a lot of support and a LOT of flame mails.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
spaceballl said:
http://www.arstechnica.com

They run over the nano w/ a car and it still plays. I'm not going to be worried about my finger smudging the screen. it's a small sacrifice to pay for the size.

-Kevin

I have to agree that the iPod nano seems very durable.

You sound to be going crazy over something that is very minor. The screen and iPod have been "durability" tested by some and have done extremely well. Everything from sitting on the iPod, to dropping it multiple times, to running over it with a car.

Perhaps is we see a noticeable rise in problems and complaints then we can voice concern. For instance, something like the iPod Mini's headphone jack problems.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
spaceballl said:
http://www.arstechnica.com

They run over the nano w/ a car and it still plays. I'm not going to be worried about my finger smudging the screen. it's a small sacrifice to pay for the size.
That's more than smudging, it's the glass on the LCD sandwich breaking and rendering the display useless. Palm IIIs used to do that all the time too.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
barbee said:
But the Nano. Touch it, you will see the slightest pressure on the plastic protection actually flexes and allows you to touch the screen.

Well maybe I have really weak thumbs but I've just applied reasonable pressure to the screen and there's no sign of me touching the LCD.

barbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
nomad01 said:
Well maybe I have really weak thumbs but I've just applied reasonable pressure to the screen and there's no sign of me touching the LCD.
Well it obviously happens to other people so one could assume that it does exist as a problem? Perhaps it has to do with a specific revision of the nanos?

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
barbee said:
Well it obviously happens to other people so one could assume that it does exist as a problem? Perhaps it has to do with a specific revision of the nanos?

Maybe there's a dodgy batch of nanos out there. I pressed pretty hard and there was no evidence of any pressure on the LCD.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
It's an amusing irony that the people who use ALL CAPS in their thread titles.. are the same people that having nothing of value to say.

Go figure. :confused:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
iGary said:
This rash of all-cap titles in the last few days is beginning to wear on me.

Instant banishment, I say. :rolleyes:
I'm with you... :D

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Enough...?

Attachments

• ban-deo.gif
    ban-deo.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 4,995

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
iGary said:
This rash of all-cap titles in the last few days is beginning to wear on me.

Instant banishment, I say. :rolleyes:
OMFG!!21! TEH IPOD NANO ISN"T LKIE TOTALY P3RFECT & STUFF. HOW CNA U NOT BE WRKED UP ENUF 2 USE CAPS?!?! WTF? LOL :eek:

Seriously though, I'm with you. I hate the all caps postings, especially in thread titles.

crojack

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2005
this guy is

just trying to cash in on a Nano class action lawsuit. his whole way of "collecting" data about these reeks of it.
"send me your name" "tell me where it was when it happened" blahblahblah.

these things are covered by a warranty like anything else.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I have already had many customers come in with their nano screens broken. I have sold countless iPods since their launch and hardly ever see broken screens come in. Seeing 2 since the launch raises eye brows. Might be a design flaw, we will just have to see what Apple does.

jon

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
iJon said:
I have already had many customers come in with their nano screens broken. I have sold countless iPods since their launch and hardly ever see broken screens come in. Seeing 2 since the launch raises eye brows. Might be a design flaw, we will just have to see what Apple does.

jon

It's not a design flaw. People, it's THIN - thin is not a flaw. The problem is folks who've owned an iPod in the past will treat the nano the same - and you can't handle the nano like you could the full size iPods. No big stretch in logic there.

I have no doubt the people with 'broken screens' had the nano in their pocket and sat down, or bumped it in another way that caused the screen to crack.

Also - I agree, enough with the all caps titles - sheesh.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
bitfactory said:
It's not a design flaw. People, it's THIN - thin is not a flaw. The problem is folks who've owned an iPod in the past will treat the nano the same - and you can't handle the nano like you could the full size iPods. No big stretch in logic there.

I have no doubt the people with 'broken screens' had the nano in their pocket and sat down, or bumped it in another way that caused the screen to crack.

True, but assuming this trend continues then Apple will more than likely replace it free of charge, even if it was user abuse. If they don't they will get a world of s*** for it just like the battery fiasco.

Personally I feel it won't be a problem and the problem won't be mainstream. Just have to wait and see.

jon

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I looked at the Nano and it seems very well built for its size. The fact that some have busted the screen makes me wonder what they have done to their iPod as well. Let's face it, if you drop it it has to hit (screen side down) to get the screen to crack (look where the impact took place). Now if it's from the sides that's another thing but again, the average whoooops it just slipped out of my hand fall shouldn't press the screen in where it causes that type of damage. If the screen does flex a touch I think that maybe a good thing so it doesn't just snap with some applied force/pressure.
I mean really my phone screen will break if I throw it across the room :cool:
but if it gets dropped nope.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
I played with a Nano at the Miami Apple store for the first time yesterday and I was quite suprised with the durability, I screwed with it for a while and I found nothing of this short...Seems quite durrable and had exceeded all my expectations

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
bitfactory said:

You totally read my mind and posted what I was going to say... almost word for word :eek: -scary!!!

as for "take your ipod and press on the screen".... umm, if i'd just bought a brand new gadget i wouldn't be attempting to break it :rolleyes:

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
wrxguy said:
I played with a Nano at the Miami Apple store for the first time yesterday and I was quite suprised with the durability, I screwed with it for a while and I found nothing of this short...Seems quite durrable and had exceeded all my expectations

Yeah but I bet you didn't try standing on it did you?

What use is a music player that won't take the weight of an average human?? :rolleyes:

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
I love bull like this. It is like saying that when you buy a cheap laptop and some moron starts jabbing the screen to see it distort you should sue the manufacturer. All LCD's can be broken like this. The Nano will be more delicate because the top plastic layer will be thinner to keep over all thickness down. Just because you break something doesn't make it the manufacturers fault.

If the screens just spontaniously broke then it is a flaw but what is infact the case is that they are just delicate. I never put my ipod in my pocket with the screen facing out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.