Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has released an iPhone app for its Prime Instant Video service, giving free access to thousands of titles to Amazon Prime members, as well as movie and TV show purchases and rentals. The iPad app was released in August.

The app allows users to download purchased and rented movies and TV shows for offline viewing, as well as stream Prime Instant Video titles when connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Cellular data isn't supported, nor is AirPlay. Amazon also keeps track of the user's place in a video, allowing it to be resumed at the same point on other supported devices like a TV, Mac or Kindle Fire.

amazonprime.jpg
With Amazon Instant Video, you can:

- Stream thousands of titles available from Prime Instant Video at no additional cost with a Prime membership, or watch over 140,000 videos available from the Amazon Instant Video store

- Download purchased and rented videos from Your Video Library

- Shop over 140,000 videos available from the Amazon Instant Video store by visiting Amazon

- Add videos to Your Watchlist from a PC, Mac, or Kindle Fire HD for later viewing on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch

- Subscribe to a TV Season Pass by visiting Amazon and episodes will automatically be available in your Amazon Instant Video app the day after they air

- Start watching on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, and resume watching right where you left off on a Kindle Fire HD, PlayStation3, Xbox 360, PC, Mac, or hundreds of models of connected TVs and Blu-ray players with Amazon Whispersync.
Amazon Instant Video is a free download for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Releases Prime 'Instant Video' App for iPhone

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Too bad they still don't let you airplay.

I got a airplay icon but than again I do not have apple TV so I am not sure if it works or not. What also sucks you can not see all prime movies, for some reason they come back and go when looking up. They need to fix the issue the same appearing in prime.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
What's the resolution?

I've tried Amazon streaming, and it's cruddy and blocky. Is there something I've got set up wrong?

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I've tried Amazon streaming, and it's cruddy and blocky. Is there something I've got set up wrong?

Quite a few people have talked about this, however there is something else. People have found that they are automatically refunded if the playback is detected to be poor - quite a nice perk.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Will apple want this on apple TV?

:apple:'s prime purpose is selling hardware. Software and services, while certainly profitable in their own right, are subordinate to selling more hardware. Comments like "As soon as [Amazon Streaming is available] I'm ditching my Roku for an Apple TV", coupled with persistent rumors of :apple:TV Apps any time now, hint that day will arrive.

Likewise, Amazon exists to sell content - their hardware offerings are just a channel to get people thereto. Done right, :apple: & Amazon could create a very profitable symbiotic relationship. Considering how the Google/:apple: relationship soured, though, they may be hesitant.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
:apple:'s prime purpose is selling hardware. Software and services, while certainly profitable in their own right, are subordinate to selling more hardware. Comments like "As soon as [Amazon Streaming is available] I'm ditching my Roku for an Apple TV", coupled with persistent rumors of :apple:TV Apps any time now, hint that day will arrive.

Likewise, Amazon exists to sell content - their hardware offerings are just a channel to get people thereto. Done right, :apple: & Amazon could create a very profitable symbiotic relationship. Considering how the Google/:apple: relationship soured, though, they may be hesitant.

That said I'm sure apple would rather have people using their own media services. Good point though.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Nice, Considering Prime instant is a free service for Prime subscribers this makes me happy. Now I have Prime on Macbook, Ipad, Apple Tv, and now my Iphone! Catching up On Grey's Anatomy has never been so easy!

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Good point though.

Moreso in light of this story, arguing that by allowing, encouraging, and maybe even seducing competition into the App Store, :apple: has blown away the hardware competition by persuading others to provide broad and strong app offerings, at least insofar as mapping goes. Same for video: provide a broad and strong offering of :apple:TV video-content apps, and :apple:TV becomes the "well duh" choice for non-cable-TV content.

My Sony Bluray player has a bunch of video content "apps", including Amazon and Hulu and Netflix, but the interface is so bad on so many levels I never use it for streaming. The existing :apple:TV "apps" are so good I'd rather use them than have more options (even when those are just a few button pushes away on another box).

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
Nice, Considering Prime instant is a free service for Prime subscribers this makes me happy. Now I have Prime on Macbook, Ipad, Apple Tv, and now my Iphone! Catching up On Grey's Anatomy has never been so easy!

How do you watch Prime on your Apple TV?

----------

We can stream Netflix, HBO GO, and Slingplayer over 3G/4G.....why not Amazon Prime? I understand the restrictions with Airplay, but there's no excuse for not allowing it over 3G/4G.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
How do you watch Prime on your Apple TV?

----------

We can stream Netflix, HBO GO, and Slingplayer over 3G/4G.....why not Amazon Prime? I understand the restrictions with Airplay, but there's no excuse for not allowing it over 3G/4G.

You can't unless you have the AppleTV 2 Jailbroken, then it streams perfectly!

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Go on...

(I have an ATV2 JB with Plex; have been wondering if you can get Prime Videos on it...)

I have an ATV1 with XBMC. There's a repository with an Amazon Instant Video add-on that I would presume works with the ATV2 running XBMC as well. I'm not sure about Plex though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.