PDA

View Full Version : Did Apple Get Exactly What it Wanted for Users in Google Maps Spat?

MacRumors
Dec 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/did-apple-get-exactly-what-it-wanted-for-users-in-google-maps-spat/)

The Loop reader Keith Huss shared an interesting look (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/12/13/apple-pulls-one-over-on-google/) at how the Apple Maps fiasco actually turned out really well for end users, now that Google Maps has gone live on iOS (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/12/google-maps-for-ios-now-live-in-app-store/).

In the end, Apple has gotten exactly what it wanted for its users when it introduced its own mapping solution: turn-by-turn directions and lots of choice in mapping. Additionally, Apple is prominently displaying third-party map apps on the App Store (with Google Maps at the front), and delivering perhaps the best maps experience on mobile.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/findmaps.jpgSituation: Apple cannot get Google to update its maps app on iOS. It was ok, but Google refused to update it to include turn-by-turn directions or voice guidance even though Android had these features forever. Apple says, "Enough" and boots Gmaps from iOS and replaces it with an admittedly half-baked replacement. The world groans. Apple has egg on its face. Google steps up it's game and rolls out a new, free new maps app in iOS today that is totally amazing, I'm sure to stick it in Apple's face... Ooops.

Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years. Users win.

Article Link: Did Apple Get Exactly What it Wanted for Users in Google Maps Spat? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/did-apple-get-exactly-what-it-wanted-for-users-in-google-maps-spat/)

drccw
Dec 13, 2012, 03:23 PM
Strat-e-gery....

SamGabbay
Dec 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
Reverse reverse triple reverse psychology.

Good move by Apple indeed.

nuckinfutz
It's good for all.

The simple (read native) solution is to use the built in Maps app. For those that love Google products they can download. I'm sure that developers will implement a link to GM if it's installed in some apps.

Both Apple Maps and Google Maps will be divergent and Apple will be free to take their technology down the path they prefer and likewise for Google.

ArcaneDevice
"Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years."

Sure. And Ping was just a way to get Facebook to update their iOS app.

gmanist1000
Dec 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
Or they hated Google and wanted to get rid of everything Google on their phone :cool:

ethana
Dec 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
Allow users to set a default mapping solution, so when I ask Siri for directions she pulls up Google Maps instead of Crapple Maps, THEN I'll believe this was all planned.

section215
Dec 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
this is a bit of a stretch to put it mildly.

robjulo
The spin is priceless.

mrsir2009
So it was planned all along ;)

Icestorm815
Dec 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
So the Australia incident was part of the marketing plan too? Apple has always prided themselves on making products and apps that work as you'd intend them to do. I don't see how deviating from that would be helpful for Apple's image. There's an awful lot of spin on that article, and there's no why I'm buying that.

Gordy
Dec 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Whether apple intended this or not, its a win win for customers. Going from one basic google maps option, to apple's map and a far better google maps is awesome for users.

iwan073
Why can't they get along?
I love Google products on my iOS devices!

They make a great team, if you ask me

room237
No this is what Richard Williamson wanted all along.

charlieegan3
Dec 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
I think they had to settle for the very opposite of what they wanted. They got the best mobile mapping but it's not got their name on it.

bushido
Dec 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
fanboy logic?

OtherJesus
Dec 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
This is exactly how I saw it. The trolls had no idea.

smithrh
Dec 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
Or they hated Google and wanted to get rid of everything Google on their phone :cool:

Which is why they approved the Google Maps for iOS!

Oh, wait...

this is a bit of a stretch to put it mildly.

I'm less sure than you are. I have been thinking about this, it's certainly plausible.

Whether it was smart (if they did indeed plan to do this) is another question. Google could have simply not participated, for one.

Interesting, strategery indeed (yeah, that's a word now, I hate it).

NY Guitarist
Dec 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
Unintended consequence is the more plausible scenario.

samplane123
Dec 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
Highly doubt this was the case. :rolleyes:

Bathplug
Lol apple fanboy spin.

nuckinfutz
Apple has nothing to fear.

If you're a developer you likely not going to extend a bunch of effort to skip Apple's Map API and write to Google when you can't guarantee that the end user has Google Maps installed on their iDevice.

Basically this move is great. It shuts people up but there's no chance that Google can make a beachhead against the native Mapping solution. People, by and large, are going to go with what came with their phone.

BinaryTim
Dec 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
So the Australia incident was part of the marketing plan too? Apple has always prided themselves on making products and apps that work as you'd intend them to do. I don't see how deviating from that would be helpful for Apple's image. There's an awful lot of spin on that article, and there's no why I'm buying that.

Google Maps isn't perfect either, even though they've had about a 5 year head-start over Apple.

As per this article:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/121312-australia-google-maps-265083.html?hpg1=bn

:eek:

SilverOnemi
Dec 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
this reads like religion. congrats.

samcraig
Dec 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
Spin.

Google didn't refuse to give Apple what they wanted. Apple and Google weren't able to reach an agreement. Apple wanted the new features. Google wanted the App to be branded Google Maps and also to integrate Lattitude.

Since neither party would concede, the rest is history.

The users got what the users wanted (mostly) - except for true OS integration. Apple didn't get anything but bad press. If Apple REALLY wanted to give its users everything Google was able to provide - they would have conceded during negotiations.

Giving Apple "credit" to this is laughable.

SirithX
Dec 13, 2012, 03:43 PM

Two things, one the reason that happened to begin with is because that is technically the center of the regional area of that city. And two, most notably, everyone overlooks the fact that Google Maps got negative press too: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57558777-93/police-google-maps-giving-dangerous-directions-too/

Of course only Apple Maps will be reported properly in the media, because Apple Maps gets all the negative attention these days.

Also let's not forget that Apple booted the lame & outdated YouTube app too and Google came back with a much better app for that as well.

BaldiMac
I'm a bit surprised that people are taking this theory seriously. The guy who came up with it doesn't even seem to be aware that the old Maps app was developed by Apple, not Google. When I saw this on the Loop, I thought it was posted for humor. :)

FooMan2011
I totally agree with that entire article.

Yujenisis
Dec 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years. Users win.

I find it hard to believe that Apple was playing a con here. They could have just as easily made a industry-changing mapping solution, still dump Google, and get them to release their own updated app with features that bring parity from Android.

Apple screwed up a major product launch in a way that is very surprising from a company who controls everything so tightly, but I think handled it with more class and humility than I thought we could expect from them.

I think this is wishful thinking, even if, we are now the winners of a market with more much-needed competition.

jonathanbruck
They are the butt of the joke. No way this was what they planned/wanted.

OldSchoolMacGuy
I don't care if Apple planned it or not. This had to happen. Google hadn't updated Maps since adding traffic close to 4 years ago. Maybe now that they're fully responsible for it and have to compete with Apple in the maps realm, they'll keep updating it.

unobtainium

Which Australia incident are you referring to? The one where a warning was issued about bad directions being given by Apple Maps, or the very similar warning about Google Maps issued two days later by Australian police? Of course you've only heard about one, because the media loves to report anything Apple-related, including bad press...

samcraig
Dec 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
I can't believe people are taking this theory seriously. The guy who came up with it doesn't even seem to be aware that the old Maps app was developed by Apple, not Google. When I saw this on the Loop, I thought it was posted for humor. :)

The problem is - there are far too many people that will believe this because "I read it on the internet"

Sad.

WhoDaKat
Dec 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
Fanboy logic my ^%&. I've been saying this all day. Apple took one on the chin and ended up giving its consumers exactly what they wanted. I understand haters gotta hate, but sorry fellas, Google got taken to business school today. You can cry all day and maybe it wasn't planned from the get go, but prior to iOS 6 we did not have turn by turn directions and now we have two great options for it! So in the end, it looks like Apple giving a choice to its consumers.

Whats really funny, is that Google wanted more data on iOS users and tried to hold turn by turn over Apples head thinking they have to cave. Now Apple got Google to give us exactly what we all wanted and what they would NOT give AND they kicked Google maps out of the native map slot! LOL Great negotiating Google!

rmwebs
Dec 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
Sorry but I really dont buy the bull crap that this is 'how Apple wanted it'. Thats plain crap.

Apple cocked up BIG TIME and are covering their asses. Thats what Apple do best.

Maps is a disaster, and they will be paying for it for years, until they actually realise that the ONLY way to compete with Google is to license from either Bing or Nokia, or get their own technology in place (i.e Satellites, UAV, Street View Cars, etc).

Given that Apple have no real interest in Maps, and make no money from it, they have very little motivation to make it do anything more than the bare minimum.

Maps will be dead in 5 years, or will be using outsourced content (and not just outsourced, broken Tom Tom data like it currently does).

(NOTE: My posts dont take into account childish 'your a fanboy' crap - I use products by a bunch of companies, and have no pathetic romance with any of them. I use Apple products because they do what I want. I use 2 Samsung monitors because they do what I want, and I use Google for my online services because it does what I want)

absurdamerica
Dec 13, 2012, 03:47 PM

Apple could have simply pulled Google Maps and said "Sorry, Google was being difficult, you'll just have to do without a good native maps app for a while."

It would have put pressure on Google and Apple wouldn't have looked inept with its half baked maps app.

The Google-Apple contract was nowhere near it's expiration though so that move would have been transparent and wouldn't have worked.

WhoDaKat
Dec 13, 2012, 03:50 PM

You sir, are wrong. Intentions aside, do we have turn by turn now? Did Apple stifle innovation and keep Google maps off iOS? Are consumers better off now then before?

----------

The problem is - there are far too many people that will believe this because "I read it on the internet"

Sad.

This is where critical thinking comes into play. Something I see you are struggling with. Just because you are a 14 year old kid that can't think two seconds in front of the last doesn't mean its not doable. I don't think anybody was fooled (meaning Google) but it did force them into showing their hand. Results? Win for Apple and for iOS users.

Ein2015
Dec 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
I guess they forgot their post yesterday...

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/12/google-maps-for-ios-now-live-in-app-store/

It was a branding issue... Apple didn't take one for the team.

The absence of that feature from the built-in Maps app had been a major sticking point for the two companies, with its absence putting iOS at a disadvantage relative to Android and Google unwilling to add the feature to Maps for iOS unless Apple made concessions such as greater Google branding within the app and integration with Google Latitude.

charlieegan3
Dec 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
fanboy logic?

More like Flawed logic.

Apple Maps WAS NOT a good thing for apple, it did not produce the results they wanted.

Users however got a great selection of maps, so at least that part is sound.

rdowns
Dec 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
Wow. One does not normally see an Apple ball washing this good that's not written by Gruber. The letter writer has a future as a blogger.

samcraig
Fanboy logic my ^%&. I've been saying this all day. Apple took one on the chin and ended up giving its consumers exactly what they wanted. I understand haters gotta hate, but sorry fellas, Google got taken to business school today. You can cry all day and maybe it wasn't planned from the get go, but prior to iOS 6 we did not have turn by turn directions and now we have two great options for it! So in the end, it looks like Apple giving a choice to its consumers.

Whats really funny, is that Google wanted more data on iOS users and tried to hold turn by turn over Apples head thinking they have to cave. Now Apple got Google to give us exactly what we all wanted and what they would NOT give AND they kicked Google maps out of the native map slot! LOL Great negotiating Google!

Except a few things.

Apple isn't giving users the choice. GOOGLE gave people the choice. They could have not created an App and then you'd be stuck with Apple's maps. So how is it that APPLE gave anyone a choice?

Second - Google got exactly what they wanted. Now they get all the data they wanted that Apple wouldn't give them.

Seems like you are a little biased in your assessment there buddy.

WhoDaKat
Sorry but I really dont buy the bull crap that this is 'how Apple wanted it'. Thats plain crap.

Apple cocked up BIG TIME and are covering their asses. Thats what Apple do best.

Maps is a disaster, and they will be paying for it for years, until they actually realise that the ONLY way to compete with Google is to license from either Bing or Nokia, or get their own technology in place (i.e Satellites, UAV, Street View Cars, etc).

Given that Apple have no real interest in Maps, and make no money from it, they have very little motivation to make it do anything more than the bare minimum.

Maps will be dead in 5 years, or will be using outsourced content (and not just outsourced, broken Tom Tom data like it currently does).

(NOTE: My posts dont take into account childish 'your a fanboy' crap - I use products by a bunch of companies, and have no pathetic romance with any of them. I use Apple products because they do what I want. I use 2 Samsung monitors because they do what I want, and I use Google for my online services because it does what I want)

Your post is nothing but pathetic, hate filled ignorance. Grow up and try reading a book now and again.

Swift
Dec 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
I don't know if it was all a big PLAN, but the natural way things worked out. Except for the bad Maps app, I think they knew it would be a little rocky, but never forget that Google and Samsung have their nasty fanboy spin too. Apple had no interest in paying for Google's APIs, so they could use the input from millions of iPhones and profit from that as well. Anybody who believes that Google would give their former partner free APIs in a version of Google Maps for the iPhone has really been drinking the Android kool-aid.

They would have liked Maps to be better, but anyone who's been divorced knows that breaking free from the ex has to be done. They'd eat Apple's lunch over the long term. So now, if you live in a region where the data is good, Maps is great! Silicon Valley, it's brilliant. I believe it will get better over time -- in fact, I see changes every other day -- and the flyover is really better than Street View for getting the route in my head.

I don't think they ever thought of overcoming Google's advantage in data. They will be a competitive product because they'll work on it.

thebignewt
Can I put AppleMaps on my Android?:confused:

MattInOz
Whether apple intended this or not, its a win win for customers. Going from one basic google maps option, to apple's map and a far better google maps is awesome for users.

And it's not just two options either. Even the short window between iOS6 release and now has given other maps a lot of visibility in the market.

I don't think it was Apples intention to Balls it up, but I do think they were hoping to for a more vibrant map market. I think they intended to build maps as a platform but ballsed up and didn't deliver a good enough base for that.

samcraig
Dec 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
This is where critical thinking comes into play. Something I see you are struggling with. Just because you are a 14 year old kid that can't think two seconds in front of the last doesn't mean its not doable. I don't think anybody was fooled (meaning Google) but it did force them into showing their hand. Results? Win for Apple and for iOS users.

Except I'm much older than 14 and have been a marketing/PR professional for over 20 years. I think I know a little more about marketing, PR and recognizing "spin" when I see it. OR rather - poor logic of a blogger/reporter who is either creating a sensationalist piece for link bait or who genuinely is ill-informed.

anza
Dec 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
dumbest thing i've read all day

they spent an outrageous amount developing an in-house solution that got them a big ass black-eye and not much else as it regards the public discourse and overall perception

further, with the SDK, lots of apps will now use Google Maps instead of Apple's solution

they ****ed this up so bad its unreal

olowott
Dec 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
when i heard google was already working on its own maps, had this same thought in my head but only way it could work out is if it gets approved by apple.

am loving my google maps right now:D

Maps would or wont die quickly, might take a few years, only way we will know is its next major update.

Swift
Dec 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
Except a few things.

Apple isn't giving users the choice. GOOGLE gave people the choice. They could have not created an App and then you'd be stuck with Apple's maps. So how is it that APPLE gave anyone a choice?

Second - Google got exactly what they wanted. Now they get all the data they wanted that Apple wouldn't give them.

They aren't getting the royalties from 100 million phones -- none, because Apple isn't subscribed -- so they're forced to go out and roll their own for the data. And I'm sure the buzz from you guys was that the Google app wasn't ready was because Google was "surprised" and "poor Apple", when they were the ones losing money, they were going to go out and compete for the long term instead of sitting on their fat monopolies. Point but not match.

Colpeas
Dec 13, 2012, 04:01 PM
Or how to turn an epic fail into a huge benefit for your customers at minimum expense.

Ok, I admit that apple maps must have been an expensive project, but sorry, it really suck here in europe. Very inaccurate.

pancakedrawer
Talk about far fetched. Apple has been hiring people in mapping for years before android was even a threat.

KdParker

If you're a developer you likely not going to extend a bunch of effort to skip Apple's Map API and write to Google when you can't guarantee that the end user has Google Maps installed on their iDevice.

Basically this move is great. It shuts people up but there's no chance that Google can make a beachhead against the native Mapping solution. People, by and large, are going to go with what came with their phone.

this is true.

WhoDaKat
Except a few things.

WRONG.

Apple could have denied their app. In fact, when the whole thing started all the bloggers were tripping over themselves to be the first to say Apple was going to deny their app anyway. And perhaps you haven't seen the map section on iOS where Apple shows you all the different mapping options we have on iOS, including Google Maps. Even if they didn't deny the app, they didn't have to promote it!

Second, Goggle didn't get what they wanted! Now you have to opt into Google eco system. I'll be using my native maps so no biggie to me. Sell yourselves all day long if you want. Google could have built this app a year ago, and they would be the native maps on iOS and you never would have heard of Apple maps, but thats not what they did! Oh no, they had to try to strong arm negotiate and they got clowned.

I'm business savvy biased. I certainly don't think Apple meant to stumble with their maps (although the extent of that stumbling is up for interpretation, unless you are a fandroid of course) but you can't argue with the results. Turn by turn on iOS via Google or Apple. Enjoy your Google maps!

TMar
Dec 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
Again who says Google had any say over a stock iphone app? I highly doubt Google did any of the coding or had any voice in the app other than Apple using their API. The amount of control Apple employs says the stock Google maps app was made in-house by Apple developers.

Why would one have to have Google's maps app installed to make use of their web API's?

WhoDaKat
Dec 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
Except I'm much older than 14 and have been a marketing/PR professional for over 20 years. I think I know a little more about marketing, PR and recognizing "spin" when I see it. OR rather - poor logic of a blogger/reporter who is either creating a sensationalist piece for link bait or who genuinely is ill-informed.

Yes I'm so sure that you are. I don't have to worry about whether your talking out your &&#$ or not, due to that whole critical thinking and logic thing. But seriously... I'm sure you are what you say you are! LOL Cause no one lies on the internet. :eek:

nuckinfutz
Dec 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
dumbest thing i've read all day

further, with the SDK, lots of apps will now use Google Maps instead of Apple's solution

You mean an SDK that isn't even available yet? That's not going to happen. Switching from a Google backend to a Apple Maps backend required very little code changes. We don't know what kind changes the SDK will require for Google and asking your customers to download Google maps versus just using the Apple apps that work with Siri and the rest of the OS isn't going to happen. Your asking for your app to be deleted.

DMinTX
Dec 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Yet another article claiming Google was the one holding back. Yet many here claim this whole situation is all about Apple's ego...

raam89
Dec 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Lol apple fanboy spin.

I agree! This is a lame fanboy spin on it. The Apple that I have known so far doesn't take one for the team to force someone else ( arch rival, in this case) to deliver. Apple stands in the forefront to deliver and let everyone else follow the lead.
What happened with the maps fiasco was Apple tried hard to deliver a good mapping product in a short span of time ( the UX and UI is spectacular in the Apple maps) but could not deliver simply because of lack of data. They accepted the defeat and let the competitors with proven track record play from the front..... for now.....

The way I see it, now that google maps is in the app store, there won't be too many complaints about maps in the iPhone and Apple can keep working on improving theirs.
nothing more, nothing less...

nuckinfutz
Dec 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
Why would one have to have Google's maps app installed to make use of their web API's?

They don't but if you think consumers are going to be happy with a web view of Google Maps i've got a bridge to sell you. Google Maps is good...it's not THAT good.

MacFly123
Dec 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
"Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years."

Sure. And Ping was just a way to get Facebook to update their iOS app.

Nobody said that Apple was relying on that all along, but that is in fact what happened. So either way we win! Apple invested a ton of money and time to build Maps and still will in perfecting it. I don't think all of that is just a ploy. But Apple and their users sure made out well!

TMar
They don't but if you think consumers are going to be happy with a web view of Google Maps i've got a bridge to sell you. Google Maps is good...it's not THAT good.

It's the same data that the new apps maps pulls from... Last time I check iOS does allow one app to use another like the way you believe it does. There are no means for one app to make use of another.

tomashi
Just because consumers came out ahead does NOT mean Apple planned this. Worst freaking arguement I've ever heard. Correlation is not causation. How could Apple plan that google would come up with a "better" map for iOS? Why did someone at Apple have to take the fall for the failure?

Lot of holes, this is shoddy reporting. I'm disappointed MacRumors.

BaldiMac
Dec 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Yet another article claiming Google was the one holding back. Yet many here claim this whole situation is all about Apple's ego...

The most reasonable explanation is that it was a simple negotiation. Apple wanted access to additional data for vector maps, turn-by-turn, etc. Google wanted something in return that Apple was unwilling to give them. They couldn't come to an agreement, so they parted ways in this area.

Michael Scrip
Dec 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
Google Maps isn't perfect either, even though they've had about a 5 year head-start over Apple.

As per this article:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/121312-australia-google-maps-265083.html?hpg1=bn

:eek:

True... Google has made some mistakes. Who hasn't.

But there's one area where Google shines... maps.google.com on my desktop browser.

I use Google Maps on my computer every day. And now that I can sync my search history from my computer to my iPhone... I'm gonna use it even more.

nuckinfutz
Dec 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
It's the same data that the new apps maps pulls from... Last time I check iOS does allow one app to use another like the way you believe it does. There are no means for one app to make use of another.

Have you watched the WWDC videos on Mapkit? If not I recommend it. There's stuff that mapkit does smartly that I don't get when I'm using a web based mapping tool.

I'd love for 10.9 to have a full on Mac version of Mapkit to leverage the same intelligence.

rmwebs
Dec 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
Your post is nothing but pathetic, hate filled ignorance. Grow up and try reading a book now and again.

Oh dear.

Thanks for that highly insightful response. I feel truly enlightened.

(and FYI, there's a difference between 'hate filled ignorance', and 'pissed off with companies trying to bottle out of their mistakes and people being dumb enough to believe it')

Everyone makes mistakes. I just wish the likes of Apple, Google (heck lets throw MS and Samsung, and Sony in here as well) would actually be slightly more PR friendly instead of attempting to act as if nothings wrong, and everything went to plan.

zbarvian
Dec 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
I think it definitely turned out that way, but I don't think it was an intentional strategy on Apple's part.

nfl46
Dec 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
This will only give Apple more time to work on their maps since they know they weren't 100% ready. Maps 2.0 coming along with the redesigned iOS 7 in 2013.

2012 focus was hardware.
2013 focus is software.

Razeus
Dec 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
This is why Apple need to fully integrate Google Maps into iOS, like they did for Facebook and Twitter. There's no reason Apple shouldn't be willing to work with 3rd parties to make the best mobile experience ever.

Full integration with these services would make it a STELLAR OS:

Facebook
Twitter
Google Maps
Google Search
Dropbox
Flickr

WhoDaKat
Dec 13, 2012, 04:25 PM
Just because consumers came out ahead does NOT mean Apple planned this. Worst freaking arguement I've ever heard. Correlation is not causation. How could Apple plan that google would come up with a "better" map for iOS? Why did someone at Apple have to take the fall for the failure?

Lot of holes, this is shoddy reporting. I'm disappointed MacRumors.

I'm disappointed you look for reporting from a site called MacRumors. That in itself speaks volumes about you. Correlation is not causation? Did you have a big English exam today? You are totally right. It was all a big coincidence! Even if you are that naive, in the end iOS users win and haters get to keep on hating! How could Apple plan Google would come up with a "better" map? Of course Google wasn't going to let 150 million users slip through their fingers, of course they were going to release an app. Now, lets use our brains here.... did you think Google would release an app that was worse then their old app? Um, going out on a limb here but I'm going to say they did not intend to make a worse app.

TMar
Dec 13, 2012, 04:25 PM
Have you watched the WWDC videos on Mapkit? If not I recommend it. There's stuff that mapkit does smartly that I don't get when I'm using a web based mapping tool.

I'd love for 10.9 to have a full on Mac version of Mapkit to leverage the same intelligence.

Okay, again that only effects Apple's maps (since iOS 6 do they still have access to GMM?). Your comment that developers would not use google's was because they would need to have google's app installed as a prerequisite was silly let alone incorrect. The brand new app (developed by google) just makes use of their web API's, the same API's developers can/will have access to.

kas23
Dec 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
I agree with the result, but whoever thinks Apple orchestrated this whole thing to make Google to include TbT directions for iOS needs to come back down to planet Earth.

blackcrayon
The angry replies are from people who just knew Apple wouldn't approve the Google Maps app, and now that they did, they were proven wrong and don't have anything to whine about ;)

nutmac
1. Ship early beta quality Map app.
2. ?
3. Profit.

Now we know what step 2 is:

2. Blame and fire Scott Forstall and get Google to release their Map app for free.

</sarcasm>

tann
Dec 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
I doubt this is the case, but I am really happy with the fact I now have Google Maps with stuff like turn by turn!!!

WhoDaKat
Dec 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Oh dear.

Thanks for that highly insightful response. I feel truly enlightened.

(and FYI, there's a difference between 'hate filled ignorance', and 'pissed off with companies trying to bottle out of their mistakes and people being dumb enough to believe it')

Everyone makes mistakes. I just wish the likes of Apple, Google (heck lets throw MS and Samsung, and Sony in here as well) would actually be slightly more PR friendly instead of attempting to act as if nothings wrong, and everything went to plan.

You mean like a public apology for dropping the ball? How would that work for ya? Oh, and Apple didn't release a statement saying Ha Ha we outsmarted Google! This is just people with the intellectual capacity to recognize business savvy when they see it. Turns out its dumb to hate someone for trying to turn a negative into a positive.

Rogifan
Dec 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
Wouldn't Google rather have it that the default, native app on iOS was Google maps? I'm sure a lot of people will be using the Google app but I'm sure a lot of people will also use Apple maps if they haven't experienced an issue.

samcraig
Dec 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
Yes I'm so sure that you are. I don't have to worry about whether your talking out your &&#$ or not, due to that whole critical thinking and logic thing. But seriously... I'm sure you are what you say you are! LOL Cause no one lies on the internet. :eek:

Ok. I got it. You're just interested in flamebaiting. You'll have to find someone else to play that game with.

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
We don't know what kind changes the SDK will require for Google and asking your customers to download Google maps versus just using the Apple apps that work with Siri and the rest of the OS isn't going to happen. Your asking for your app to be deleted.

To use Google Maps in an app would not require downloading Google Maps. The only thing that would require downloading Google Maps would be actually sending the user to Google Maps. Obviously, a good developer would check what apps are installed on the device and give the user a list of appropriate apps to open the call in. This is how many apps allow the user to open files in many other apps (dropbox, iPhoto, Pages, Keynote, etc).

It's hard to believe so many people could be making such uninformed statements. The web view is only a lower quality user experience because the display is created in web technologies which aren't up to the standards of native code. The maps data itself is the same as the data displayed in a native app. The native app experience and display of Google Maps would be much better, because it would use a native code display vs the web version.

The user does not have to download a separate app (Google Maps) in order for other developers to take advantage of Google Maps. Even if the user did download Google Maps there is no way for two apps to integrate in such a way for another app to take advantage of Google Maps.

firewood
Dec 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
Just because consumers came out ahead does NOT mean Apple planned this.

Apple is not one person (especially with Steve gone). Inside Apple's Byzantine management cobweb, some managers are probably much better poker players than others (such as the fired maps manager, for instance?).

reden
Dec 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
My Apple Fanboy Radar broke on this one.

What makes you believe a company would spend millions upon millions in infrastructure to launch something as aggressive as this just to make google update its map app? Give me a break.

rmwebs
Dec 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
You mean like a public apology for dropping the ball? How would that work for ya? Oh, and Apple didn't release a statement saying Ha Ha we outsmarted Google! This is just people with the intellectual capacity to recognize business savvy when they see it. Turns out its dumb to hate someone for trying to turn a negative into a positive.

Timeline of events:

- Apple release Apple Maps, having invested millions of dollars in it
- Apple admit Apple Maps is borked
- Google confirm they are working on their own solution
- Google confirm they have little hope for it being approved
- Despite all odds, Apple approve the app. (and good on them for doing so)

Lets get something clear:

- I'm very glad Apple were willing to approve the app.
- I'm very glad Google released the app.
- I'm even more glad that developers now get to choose to integrate Google Maps or Apple Maps, instead of having one or the other forced on them by Apple.

I'm not happy about this series of events being claimed as a 'victory' for anyone. This is not part of some elaborate plan that Apple conceived, it's just how everything worked out. We now have options. If Apple maps works great for you, fantastic - use it. For those outside the US who cant rely on it, we'll use Google Maps, and be just as happy with it.

From Apples point of view if they didn't approve the app, Google would have obviously made an announcement saying 'well we did make an app, but they rejected it' - that would cause even more negative publicity for Apple, so they really had no choice. Google had/has the upper hand here.

There's simply no way you can compare Google Maps and Apple Maps however - they are in a completely different league.

csanctis
Dec 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
This is article is as ridiculous as it can be!
How can you say that Apple would create a crap product/service, so that some else would create a BETTER one? Are you out of your mind?

If Steve Jobs was alive, the whole map team would be jobless by this time!

Only a blind person would be fooled by what this article is trying to say!

samcraig
Dec 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
The most reasonable explanation is that it was a simple negotiation. Apple wanted access to additional data for vector maps, turn-by-turn, etc. Google wanted something in return that Apple was unwilling to give them. They couldn't come to an agreement, so they parted ways in this area.

Exactly. But please - by all means - let's go grab some popcorn and watch the tin foil hat parade!

Breckenridge
Dec 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
No iOS integration makes the iPhone still look and feel weak when compared with an android.

rmwebs
Dec 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
You mean an SDK that isn't even available yet? That's not going to happen. Switching from a Google backend to a Apple Maps backend required very little code changes. We don't know what kind changes the SDK will require for Google and asking your customers to download Google maps versus just using the Apple apps that work with Siri and the rest of the OS isn't going to happen. Your asking for your app to be deleted.

Generally Google do provide a pretty good maps SDK and API for other platforms. You will be able to add Google-based maps to your iOS app without the user even needing Google Maps installed. There's simply no way a developer will use Apple Maps if the option to use the tried and tested Google Maps is there, especially since it's also free.

brianbobcat
Dec 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
The Loop reader Keith Huss shared an interesting look (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/12/13/apple-pulls-one-over-on-google/) at how the Apple Maps fiasco actually turned out really well for end users, now that Google Maps has gone live on iOS (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/12/google-maps-for-ios-now-live-in-app-store/).

In the end, Apple has gotten exactly what it wanted for its users when it introduced its own mapping solution: turn-by-turn directions and lots of choice in mapping. Additionally, Apple is prominently displaying third-party map apps on the App Store (with Google Maps at the front), and delivering perhaps the best maps experience on mobile.

Cool story bro.

koban4max
Dec 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
Apple sucks bad. If they intended to do some psychology on us...might as well be straight forward and remove apple's version of the map. I hate to have apps that I won't be using on my phone/ipad.

Tim knew that Steve was right about the map. They can't make maps... Steve mentioned in one of youtube video that it was better to depend on other companies that have extensive background on maps.

Breckenridge
Dec 13, 2012, 05:03 PM
This is article is as ridiculous as it can be!
How can you say that Apple would create a crap product/service, so that some else would create a BETTER one? Are you out of your mind?

If Steve Jobs was alive, the whole map team would be jobless by this time!

Only a blind person would be fooled by what this article is trying to say!

Steve is dead. Yes, even Apple can make crap, remember iOS 6? Apple Pippin? Performa Mac line? OS9? iPod HiFi? Apple 3?

nuckinfutz
Dec 13, 2012, 05:06 PM
Generally Google do provide a pretty good maps SDK and API for other platforms. You will be able to add Google-based maps to your iOS app without the user even needing Google Maps installed. There's simply no way a developer will use Apple Maps if the option to use the tried and tested Google Maps is there, especially since it's also free.

Google is tried and tested though it's not perfect and it's given me outdated addresses and poor directions. It's the nature of the beast.

That being said a developer using Google's Maps over the native solution is begging and pleading for their app to deleted. Apple being the plucky upstart means they've got nothing but upside. The gap will close quicker than people think.

I'm not going to go through a bunch of steps to use Google Maps when I can just hold my phone up and tell it to take me to XYZ location.

Developers are free to re-create the wheel...and fail in the process.

BillyBobBongo
Dec 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
Never thought I'd have to use http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/buttons/report.gif for an article itself on MacRumours, but this is tragic.

rmwebs
Dec 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Google is tried and tested though it's not perfect and it's given me outdated addresses and poor directions. It's the nature of the beast.

That being said a developer using Google's Maps over the native solution is begging and pleading for their app to deleted. Apple being the plucky upstart means they've got nothing but upside. The gap will close quicker than people think.

I'm not going to go through a bunch of steps to use Google Maps when I can just hold my phone up and tell it to take me to XYZ location.

Developers are free to re-create the wheel...and fail in the process.

It really is never going to be that complicated to switch between the two. You could probably provide both Google Maps and Apple Maps in the same app if you so desired - its not really that big of a deal to switch.

I really dont see how the gap will close quickly though. We're comparing a 100 man team to a 7,100 man team, with their own satellites, thousands of streetview cars, hundreds of UAV aircraft, and millions of users more (thus more people reporting issues).

wschutz
Dec 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Reverse reverse triple reverse psychology.

Good move by Apple indeed.

LOL. It was not any good move... this is just some BS to actually make a defeat look like a victory.
Apple clearly wants to get rid off Google from its ecosystem, and this was one of the last moves (the next one would be the search engine... but that's rather difficult for Apple). Apple baked a poor application and got it out hoping for people to love it just because it is from Apple, and it failed.

There is no strategy, there is failure from Apple. And now, not only it is failure but public shame. Google won again, and now whatever Apple does will be useless because either it will copy Google's easiness or it will just make a try.

Accept it, or keep believing what you really want to believe... that Apple made a good move, LOL.

old-school
Dec 13, 2012, 05:21 PM
Great news. It's another replacement for me.

Now I've got:
Clear instead of reminders
Chrome instead of safari
Fantastical instead of calendar
Spotify instead of music

Clock and mail might next.

blewbot
Dec 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
Except that iOS is under lockdown and I cannot choose to used Google Maps as a default mapping solution.

For example. Clicking on a address link in mail or Messages will take to me Apple Maps... not to Google.

bketchum
Dec 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
I couldn't help read the story with a Jon Lovitz Tommy Flanagan voice.

Carmenia83
Dec 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
I dont think this was the "plan" all along, but either way its a win for Apple and their customers. Google wanted turn-by-turn to be one of Android's edges over the competition. Now Google has openly admitted that their new iOS app is better than the one on Android. Im glad to see it back on iOS, but I think it was a stupid move by Google.

FrogsterDude
Dec 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
I don't think this guy is trying to say that Apple planned this from the beginning. He's just pointing out that in the end game, Google did exactly what they refused to do and users win because of it.

Uncle David
Dec 13, 2012, 05:37 PM

I'm a large person and yet, within minutes of downloading the app...

http://www.alongtheway.org/images/home_page.PNG

;)

samcraig
Dec 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
I don't think this guy is trying to say that Apple planned this from the beginning. He's just pointing out that in the end game, Google did exactly what they refused to do and users win because of it.

My personal objection is your word choice of refused. I suppose you could state that they refused to give TbT - but that's not the full story, is it? Talks broke down between Apple and Google about the direction of Google Maps. You could just as easily say Apple refused to allow Google TbT functionality. It would also only be part of the story.

SpyderBite
Dec 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
Who cares? Both maps (as well as many other alternatives) are now available for iOS.

What's the point of analyzing this if everybody is happy?

Sometimes I think people will complain and over speculate just to see their names on the Interwebs.

rocknblogger
Dec 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
I'm disappointed you look for reporting from a site called MacRumors. That in itself speaks volumes about you. Correlation is not causation? Did you have a big English exam today? You are totally right. It was all a big coincidence! Even if you are that naive, in the end iOS users win and haters get to keep on hating! How could Apple plan Google would come up with a "better" map? Of course Google wasn't going to let 150 million users slip through their fingers, of course they were going to release an app. Now, lets use our brains here.... did you think Google would release an app that was worse then their old app? Um, going out on a limb here but I'm going to say they did not intend to make a worse app.

You mean to tell me they sacrificed Scott Forstall to do this? And Tim Cook went on national TV to say "We screwed up" and they gambled with their investor's money hoping the stock wouldn't take a big hit? Seriously? :rolleyes:

I cannot believe that you believe this:eek:

tdtran1025
Dec 13, 2012, 05:59 PM
Wait and see. The $ Apple puts behind dev of Maps will bear fruit

Dagless
Dec 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
All that money and effort to get another company to do something you wanted, that benefits both companies (the company being bullied gets glorified in the process and the bully gets their effort completely slammed).

Yeah. That works. I bet that's exactly how it happened.

TheYellowAudi
You mean to tell me they sacrificed Scott Forstall to do this?

Yeah, I totally agree with you. I seriously doubt that.

SuperBrown
Apple planned this Maps fiasco all along.

The moon landing never happened.

I wholeheartedly believe one of these to be true.

TrentS
Dec 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
Apple should update it's mapping app for Android devices, so that every time someone uses it to find a destination, it always leads them to an Apple Store.

:D :D :D :D

a0me
Dec 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
That's some bat$h!t cray-cray logic over here.
What we really got is:

- Apple wasting R&D time and money on a broken app which won't get fixed any time soon; the client app is fine, but fixing the maps data it relies on will take years.

- Apple got bad press, bad enough that the CEO had to issue a public apology in 50 languages

- The default maps app still sucks; users not aware that they can have Google Maps on their iOS devices will get a negative impression of Apple products. People with Google Maps will get frustrated by the fact that you can't set it as the default maps.

And in the end, Google got what they wanted with Google branding and Google Latitude on iOS.

samcraig
Dec 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
You mean to tell me they sacrificed Scott Forstall to do this? And Tim Cook went on national TV to say "We screwed up" and they gambled with their investor's money hoping the stock wouldn't take a big hit? Seriously? :rolleyes:

I cannot believe that you believe this:eek:

Not to mention Google didn't create the Maps app on the iPhone. Apple did.

edfore
Dec 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
We live in a very rural County north of Atlanta. I like Apple maps a lot. It has always put me right on The location that I needed to go. We have never had any problems with it.

knemonic
Dec 13, 2012, 06:37 PM
By this logic, you can take it a step further.

Cook knows that the first version of Maps will be weak, so he puts Forstall on it. Cook knows Forstall is headstrong and wont admit a mistake.

Maps comes out, gets bad press for its problems, Cook and fam issue an apology without Forstall, who states there was no problem. Weeks later, a major executive shift to oust Forstall and put Cue in charge of all online services.

We might see these power shifts of unlikely or ridiculous, but I bet a lot of this is true cause how else could you get rid of someone so high up without good cause? Cook deliberately putting Forstall on a known to fail project simply to out him from the company because everyone doesn't like him makes sense.

I mean, at the least, the timing is very plausible. if they had waited 6 months to announce Forstall's departure, then I would say the above is doubtful.

bigpics
Dec 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
A droll take on it all here:

Google Maps for iOS message: What Google really meant to say

Summary: Google's blog post on the Google Maps for iOS launch has a series of jabs in it. Here's a between the lines reading. (http://www.zdnet.com/google-maps-for-ios-message-what-google-really-meant-to-say-7000008749/?s_cid=e539)

Shasterball
Dec 13, 2012, 07:08 PM
Wow... This won't fly, even on this site. No company would do this. And Apple is way too proud to do this.

But I am really psyched about the new Google Maps. It's quite good...

lunaoso
Dec 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
Don't forget you tinfoil hats guys!

http://i.qkme.me/35mk4d.jpg

komodrone
Dec 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
Allow users to set a default mapping solution, so when I ask Siri for directions she pulls up Google Maps instead of Crapple Maps, THEN I'll believe this was all planned.

i don't think there's an api to allow SIRI to understand how to control third party software.

etrinh
Dec 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
Except that iOS is under lockdown and I cannot choose to used Google Maps as a default mapping solution.

For example. Clicking on a address link in mail or Messages will take to me Apple Maps... not to Google.

I agree but copy and paste can't be that much worse if you really had to use G-maps

Analog Kid
Dec 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
This sounds about right to me, even if it's phrased in a way that sounds a bit cloak and dagger. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did a game theory analysis and realized Apple couldn't really lose here. This argument that Apple was doing it to hurt Google just doesn't parse. First, it didn't. Second, Apple hasn't done much to block Google's app submissions so far.

I know, the Google mob is going to say that Apple would have blocked Google Maps if they weren't so embarrassed by their own solution... That just doesn't fit well with history.

And this fits Apple's MO pretty well. They don't shy away from breaking things short term to make long term improvements (Exhibit A: Final Cut, Exhibit B: Lightning).

Fear of backlash to change is what's painted Microsoft into a corner.

In this case, they knew Google wanted to be on iPhone more than Apple really needed them to back their own solution. The whole reason Google created Android was to ensure that mobile platforms don't leave them behind-- there's no way they'd not support iPhone. Until Apple cut them loose though, they were on iPhone and didn't have to really compete with anything. Now they do.

In the end, the Apple mapping API has prettier graphics behind it, and iPhone users have a dozen choices for mapping apps. The only price I see paid is that no one could read MacRumors for a few months without wading through people screaming themselves silly that Apple was leaving them to die in the desert.

nagromme
Dec 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
It DID turn out well for end users. And of course Apple saw it coming: they were buying mapping companies years ago to plan for this; and they knew darned well Google would still want to be gathering data from iPhone users, so of course Google would offer their own maps app as well.

Now users have the choice of TWO great apps. One that kills you with thirst (in Australia) and one that kills you with a cliff fall (in Australia).

Analog Kid
Dec 13, 2012, 08:39 PM
I'm a large person and yet, within minutes of downloading the app...

Image (http://www.alongtheway.org/images/home_page.PNG)

;)
Can I just say your family looks awesome. I had to double check you didn't crib the portraits from the Little Rascals! (well, except Petey...)

noiseordinance
Dec 13, 2012, 08:50 PM
I love all the brainless fanboi belief in this article. Even if in a tinfoil-hat wearing universe this article is correct, Apple is quickly losing my respect by suing everybody, marring the GPS on their phones, releasing disposable idevices with glue-in batteries and solder on RAM, etc.

hamkor04
Dec 13, 2012, 08:52 PM
"Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years. Users win."

what a logic ????

What about Scot Forstall and Ping?

Analog Kid
Dec 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
All that money and effort to get another company to do something you wanted, that benefits both companies (the company being bullied gets glorified in the process and the bully gets their effort completely slammed).
Except Google really didn't get that slammed, Apple was hardly glorified, and everything did, in fact, work out in the end... :confused:

Sometimes if you have an uncooperative partner, you gotta do it the hard way. It's not like this was a social engineering experiment at Apple, they just looked at their options and figured they'd wind up better off this way than following Google's demands.

Or at least that's what's being suggested...

gotluck
Dec 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
If this was true apple would allow users to set Google maps as the default.

winston1236
Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
Strat-e-gery....

Strategy doesnt get the manager in charge fired. Off with the fanboy glasses and back to reality!

nyczducky
Dec 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
If the OP isn't a troll, I don't know what is.

The original maps app since 2009 was created and maintained by APPLE. Not Google. It was an app that used Google's maps.

So Apple cutting Google out of the picture was all on Apple trying to break out with their own maps. Which they utterly failed in.

Definitely a fanboy OP.

ldominguez1986
Dec 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
Or Maps back fired really bad on Apple and they had no choice but to let Google make an app. I bet there would be no Google maps in iOS if maps was successful. And I guess getting rid of the YouTube app was done for these reasons as well?

JAT
Dec 13, 2012, 11:20 PM

Why not all of the above?

----------

Strat-e-gery....

Fun game.

RicoRich196
Dec 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
This is a money issue, Google makes a boatload of money maps by filling it with ads/sponsored links now imagine how Apple feels about that being a native thing had they gone with native GMaps. They weren't seeing their cut. Oh and customer data.

zippyioa
Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 AM
If you Apple fans like Google Maps on iOS so much, you should see what Google can do when they control the whole phone ;-)

As for those wanting to be able to set Google Maps as the default navigation app rather than that sub standard offering Apple felt fit to release... all you do is:

1. Click on an address in your contacts list and you should see available navigation apps pop up.

2. Simply choose the app you want as default and click "always" (not "Just Once"). This will set your default navigation app from now on.

Simple! Oh wait, that's how you do it on an Android phone..... surely Apple didn't miss that out of their feature packed OS as well?

Dagless
Dec 14, 2012, 01:49 AM
Except Google really didn't get that slammed, Apple was hardly glorified, and everything did, in fact, work out in the end...

Other way around ;)
Apple were slammed, had to publicly apologise, ask users for help and patience.
Google were glorified. Nobody could wait to get their app on iOS again.

----------

We live in a very rural County north of Atlanta. I like Apple maps a lot. It has always put me right on The location that I needed to go. We have never had any problems with it.

Nice to know Apple puts a very rural location in its own county above vast cities in the rest of the world.

Analog Kid
Dec 14, 2012, 02:42 AM
Other way around ;)

Ah, so you're making the assumption Apple was the "bully" in this case, rather than the company using their mapping service to try and hollow out their competitor?

I guess I missed the ticket sales for the Apple/Google negotiations, because given the number of people who seem to know what happened in that room, there must have been stadium seating and a halftime show.

everything-i
Dec 14, 2012, 03:42 AM
To insinuate that this was the planned outcome is ridiculous. Apple wanted to deliver their own mapping solution because they didn't want to be reliant on Google and didn't want either Google branding on a bundled app or latitude forced on them. The fact that now Google maps is back and is actually a bit nicer than on their own platform is just a coincidence and a happy one at that.

Eric E. Schmidt
Dec 14, 2012, 04:40 AM

still, you fail to spot humour.

Snookerman
Dec 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
This is the stupidest thing I've read all day.

Beautyspin
Dec 14, 2012, 06:24 AM
WRONG.

Apple could have denied their app. In fact, when the whole thing started all the bloggers were tripping over themselves to be the first to say Apple was going to deny their app anyway. And perhaps you haven't seen the map section on iOS where Apple shows you all the different mapping options we have on iOS, including Google Maps. Even if they didn't deny the app, they didn't have to promote it!

Second, Goggle didn't get what they wanted! Now you have to opt into Google eco system. I'll be using my native maps so no biggie to me. Sell yourselves all day long if you want. Google could have built this app a year ago, and they would be the native maps on iOS and you never would have heard of Apple maps, but thats not what they did! Oh no, they had to try to strong arm negotiate and they got clowned.

I'm business savvy biased. I certainly don't think Apple meant to stumble with their maps (although the extent of that stumbling is up for interpretation, unless you are a fandroid of course) but you can't argue with the results. Turn by turn on iOS via Google or Apple. Enjoy your Google maps!

And they got a couple of VPs kicked out just to make Google believe so that it will fall in the trap.
And they got Cook to apologize in public which Apple never does irrespective of the mistake.
And they had to approve Google Maps without a whimper and google gets to brand it as google maps.

Machiavellian plan indeed. Must be a case for business schools - How to fool an opponent by making one selves a total fool....:D

BigPrince
Dec 14, 2012, 06:24 AM
Macrumors has been infiltrated by Apple PR journalists.

QCassidy352
Dec 14, 2012, 06:32 AM
Highly doubt it was drawn up this way, but yeh, at the end of the day iOS users end up a lot better off for it all happening.

bobsentell
Dec 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
Wow. I haven't seen spin like this since the election.

Beeplance
Dec 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
Oh wait, so this is all an elaborate scheme by Apple to "trick" Google into releasing an app with TBT?

Really can't see as a plot by Apple.:confused:

jephrey
Dec 14, 2012, 08:55 AM
Regardless of whether it was planned (and I agree that it would be dumb to think that it was) the outcome has become a win-win-? with the consumer and google getting wins and Apple getting a ? At this point, the only thing against apple is like the article suggests - they get a little egg on their face but they get from Google what they wanted from the get-go. Technically, it could morph into a win-win-win.

notjustjay
Dec 14, 2012, 09:18 AM
Oh wait, so this is all an elaborate scheme by Apple to "trick" Google into releasing an app with TBT?

Really can't see as a plot by Apple.:confused:

Oh yes. Apple never, ever makes mistakes. Steve Jobs was the most brilliant person who ever walked the planet.

Remember when the iPhone was originally released and the plan was NOT to have third-party apps at all? Yeah, that was all a huge ploy. Generate some backlash, build up demand. And boy did it ever work!

And the iPhone 4 antennagate? Well, everyone flocked to buy the 4S, right? Yup. Clever ploy!

And the original iMac round puck mouse? That was... that was... uh... so brilliant that I can't even comprehend the reasoning. What a master that man was. *bow*

whooleytoo
Dec 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
Other way around ;)
Apple were slammed, had to publicly apologise, ask users for help and patience.
Google were glorified. Nobody could wait to get their app on iOS again.

Precisely. I doubt that Google Maps is perfect either, but in the PR battle Google just beat the snot out of Apple on this one.

Google look like they have the better mapping solution, and are keen to get it into users' hands. Apple look like they have a buggy maps solution, and are pushing it onto end-users for business/political reasons. Even if that's not a fair assessment, that's how it seems to be playing out in the media.

Mhkobe
Dec 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
I think that the users did win in the end, but I also think that Apple thought/wanted Apple Maps to be insanely great.

tzeshan
Dec 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
I think this is the result of why we teach kids to do the right thing. Apple did the right thing to kick Google Maps out of iOS 6. A sequence of events happened. So you can not deny Google Maps app is a consequence.

milo
Dec 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
Did apple intend for it to work out this way? No way, if that was their intention they would have saved themselves a ton of trouble by just removing the app from the standard install and letting Google release what they wanted via the app store.

But is the end result pretty darn good for users? Absolutely. And it will be even better once Apple's own maps improve and hopefully catch up to Google. Competition is good.

And I don't really think how it plays out in the press matters at all, the only threat to apple is that bad mapping would hurt iPhone sales. Google just did apple a huge favor and probably eliminated any risk to Apple's sales.

TDLucas
Dec 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
I know everyone has been having fun talking about how awful Apple Maps is, but I wonder how many of you actually have used it and given it a chance. I'm guessing many of you are just jumping on the band wagon.

Several people have said that they have had no problems with Apple Maps. I know that there are some issues, but I have not had any problems myself. I've used Apple Maps in California, Oregon, Texas, Tennessee, and New York without ever having issues finding the what I was looking for or getting good, direct directions.

I never liked the Maps app with google data. Had many problems finding stuff accurately. Ended up giving up on it and moving on to the Waze app and the Mapquest app. Both work great. Directions on MapQuest are better than in Waze, but the ability to see user submitted information about traffic and road hazards in Waze is great.

I still usually use Waze for long distance driving, but I use Apple Maps for getting around locally. Apple maps, in my estimation, has a great interface and does a great job for everything I have asked it to do. I'll check out Google Maps to see how it works, but I doubt I'll switch to it.

Drag'nGT
Dec 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
I am a hard headed fanboy. I will use the Google Maps app when the built in app fails me. It is rare for me (so far) to find something missing entirely in the native maps app. But I like the idea that I'm cutting ties to Google. I'm getting close to ditching their search as well. Bing has returned better search results for me from time to time.

osofast240sx
Dec 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
Never had a problem with the TbT on my wife's iPhone 5. I installed the GM on my iPhone 4 yesterday and deleted my tele nav app. I loving the voice TbT on google but it is not as accurate as my tele nav. While driving on 34 street to the Empire State Building google gps showed me driving on 33 street. That's a whole city block off. The GPS also showed me driving through buildings. Good thing I knew we're I was going, I hope this app does not bite me in the ass when I really need it.

theluggage
Dec 14, 2012, 10:37 AM
WRONG.
Apple could have denied their app.

Yes, if he'd wanted to make the PR disaster even worse than it already was. Can you not imagine the furore had they denied it? Since they'd already approved other maps and navigation apps it would have been blatant discrimination against Google. Might even have been lawsuit territory.

And perhaps you haven't seen the map section on iOS where Apple shows you all the different mapping options we have on iOS, including Google Maps. Even if they didn't deny the app, they didn't have to promote it!

Yes, they did. Think.

The iPhone 5 had just been launched, and mapping/GPS is a pretty important feature for many smartphone users. Apple had to reassure buyers that they could get decent maps on their iPhone 5 straight away, or it could have decimated sales. Taking a hard "you'll use our maps and like them or you'll eat them for breakfast" line would only have made it worse.

Sure, if you're a 'glass half full' person it did emphasise the choice of App

Apple Maps had already received so much bad press that even if they could fix it within weeks, it was going to take much, much longer to shake off the rep (heck, people are still making cracks about Macs only having one mouse button).

As for the 'this whole debacle has given us more choice' issue, Google have done pretty well in pulling a maps app out of thin air in 3 months - especially one that is clearly more than a half-baked clone of the Android version or a thin wrapper on the website. Now, Google have a lot of resources so I wouldn't bet against them doing this, but I do wonder how long this has really been on the drawing board for...

Personally, I was all set to get an iPhone 5 until I upgraded my iPad to iOS 6, opened Maps, hit 'Satellite' and saw a black-and-white cloudbank where my house used to be. That's fixed now, but the question in my mind was "What's Apple going to wreck next in order to spite the competition? Gmail/contact/calendar sync? Dropbox/Google Drive?

Eagerly awaiting (a) the iPad version of Google Maps and (b) maybe an updated Android version for my phone.

CausticPuppy
Hmmm. If this REALLY was Apple's strategy, then Apple would allow Google Maps to be the default mapping app.

But they haven't.

PracticalMac
Both benefited.

Apple gets a vastly improved, better then Droid map app.
Google gets to keep millions of customers.

Apple could not have predicted Google would make a better Maps app, but they likely did predict Google would do something, and had made some plans.

Still, Apple Maps is clearly flawed, and did hurt their reputation.

radio893fm
Dec 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
OMG, this spin makes even fanboys look like Apple haters. This is truly priceless...

MikeAK
Dec 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
Unbelievable! So now that embarrassment was the plan all along? Give me a break:rolleyes:

DavidLeblond
Dec 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
Spin.

Google didn't refuse to give Apple what they wanted. Apple and Google weren't able to reach an agreement. Apple wanted the new features. Google wanted the App to be branded Google Maps and also to integrate Lattitude.

Since neither party would concede, the rest is history.

The users got what the users wanted (mostly) - except for true OS integration. Apple didn't get anything but bad press. If Apple REALLY wanted to give its users everything Google was able to provide - they would have conceded during negotiations.

Giving Apple "credit" to this is laughable.

Forcing Latitude on people is not a reasonable concession. Sorry, it's just not. That would NOT be good for the users.

sitsonthefence
Dec 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
There is no way that this is what apple meant to happen. People got fired as a result of their failure.

No one plans to fire people so that they encourage a competitor to create and deliver a better product than their own. No one.

Gasu E.
Dec 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
The spin is priceless.

But, isn't that exactly what happened?

1. Google's support for iOS lagged Android.
2. Apple boots Google.
3. Three months later, Google's support for iOS is better than for Android.

It seems pretty obvious that 2 was a direct cause of 3.

----------

There is no way that this is what apple meant to happen. People got fired as a result of their failure.

No one plans to fire people so that they encourage a competitor to create and deliver a better product than their own. No one.

People got fired because Apple Maps sucked. No one got fired because Google upped its iOS game.

gotluck
Dec 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
Forcing Latitude on people is not a reasonable concession. Sorry, it's just not. That would NOT be good for the users.

For what it's worth, latitude can be disabled on android.

----------

Don't agree with this, android has offline maps and allows multiple points placed on the map via 'my maps'. I know these may be niche uses, but I enjoy them and miss them on iOS.

Granted I'm very happy with the new app.

Keebler
Dec 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
I don't buy this one at all.

Apple always touts itself at producing the perfect products so this was nothing but a screwup. Hence Forstall leaving. Cook has admitted it.

It's nice to think that they tried to reverse psych Google and/or us, but I don't believe it.

I think they tried to pull their britches up a little too high on this one.

I will admit Maps works for me and I understand that in its infancy, maybe GoogleMaps was in the same boat, but they shouldn't have said it was going to be the be all and end all.

Cheers,
Keebler

samcraig
Dec 14, 2012, 12:59 PM

Who said it would be forced and that you couldn't opt out. On Android you aren't FORCED to use it?

Just like you aren't FORCED to use "find my friends"

Irrational "fear" is irrational "fear"

k995
Dec 14, 2012, 01:07 PM
So releasing a ****** app (for a lot of people) so ****** some people didnt even bother to update to IOS 6 (me included) was all just part of a plan?

Sure and santa is real.

Apple wanted to oust google not show google is still the best . Loosing face was not part of the plan.

Its funny how many people in this thread want to beloieve the gadget maker they like cant fail.

----------

2. Apple boots Google.

It seems pretty obvious that 2 was a direct cause of 3.[COLOR="#808080"]

Actually thats not the case, apple's implementation of a maps with cooporation from google was stalled for years. Dont forget the APP was apple's, google was nothing more then the backend . Apple was unable to get a deal with google to put more functionality in the app, so they created there own backend, and failed miserably to some extent .

That google then showed hows its done, and keep its own intrest in the game only will have stung apple all the more. If you really think apple only cares about its customers you are very very naive .

BeardedOrc
Dec 14, 2012, 01:23 PM

HAHAHA. Couldn't read it with a straight face...

Greg.
Dec 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
No MacRumors, just no.

mtliveson
Dec 14, 2012, 02:27 PM

2. Apple boots Google.

It seems pretty obvious that 2 was a direct cause of 3.[COLOR="#808080"]

Despite what a couple articles say about the iOS/android maps apps, I would never say the iOS one is better. Why?

OS integration. Many of the features of Jelly Bean that I love are because of this integration. I search for a place online before I leave the house and its there in the maps app or the now dashboard without me asking for it.

Naturally, the interfaces will be different because of the core differences in the OS interface.

kinderdm
Dec 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
While I have trouble believing this was the plan all along I do agree that Apple comes out pretty well positioned in the end, especially when they get their own map software up to snuff as well. They now have more good choices for mapping than anyone out there and a google map (which people are loyal to every beyond apple worship) that is better than it could have ever been before. Was google played, maybe. But does google make out well from their new map, probably. Did apple plan things to happen this way all along, I have my doubts.

gpat
Dec 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
I can't grasp the full level of stupidity in this article.

jimmirehman
Dec 14, 2012, 02:50 PM

This right here!

sitsonthefence
Dec 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
I've just realised that I've been sucked into a debate that has no basis in fact and actually doesn't matter in the slightest.

Having said that I'm staggered that this article was written so far away from April 1.

Let's be clear, it's nice google have updated and improved their app. It's better than apples. But Apple is not a club, there for the benefit of its members, rather its a commercial enterprise looking to enhance shareholder value. How did this fiasco help that?

pullfocus
Dec 14, 2012, 07:00 PM
What I find ironic is after Google refused to update the original Maps app on the iPhone with turn by turn and such, presumably to get people to switch to Android, and Apple telling them to kiss off, they put up an app for the iPhone on the App Store that is...free.

If this is the case, in spite of Apple's Maps glaring shortcomings, Google clearly fought the pointless fight here.

Granted, IF this article has any merit. Which is doubtful.

BluePhoenixRa
Dec 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
Can I put AppleMaps on my Android?:confused:

What? Lmao

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
What I find ironic is after Google refused to update the original Maps app on the iPhone with turn by turn and such, presumably to get people to switch to Android, and Apple telling them to kiss off, they put up an app for the iPhone on the App Store that is...free.

If this is the case, in spite of Apple's Maps glaring shortcomings, Google clearly fought the pointless fight here.

Granted, IF this article has any merit. Which is doubtful.

:eek: you're even less informed than the quote in the original article!
Apple wrote their native maps and YouTube app, btw. They did not ask Google to update them, Apple wanted to be allowed to use turn by turn directions as well as other features available on Android. Google wanted more prominent branding and Google Latitude to be involved. Apple wouldn't budge on minor concessions so they ended up screwing the end user for a few months. Even now we are still worse off as Google Maps cannot integrate the way it previously had.

pullfocus
Dec 14, 2012, 07:55 PM
:eek: you're even less informed than the quote in the original article!
Apple wrote their native maps and YouTube app, btw. They did not ask Google to update them, Apple wanted to be allowed to use turn by turn directions as well as other features available on Android. Google wanted more prominent branding and Google Latitude to be involved. Apple wouldn't budge on minor concessions so they ended up screwing the end user for a few months. Even now we are still worse off as Google Maps cannot integrate the way it previously had.
Did you not see the big "IF" I put in there questioning the entire validity of the damn article?

Or wait...is this some of Jimmy's TuffLuff?

Now calm your little bear self.

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Did you not see the big "IF" I put in there questioning the entire validity of the damn article?

Or wait...is this some of Jimmy's TuffLuff?

Now calm your little bear self.

It was actually a normal sized if...
And IF (big if) you had read any portion of this thread or anything else on the subject you would have already known what I told you.

pullfocus
Dec 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
It was actually a normal sized if...
And IF (big if) you had read any portion of this thread or anything else on the subject you would have already known what I told you.
You must be a barrel of fun at parties.

And "if" was "IF" from the beginning. You even quoted it in all caps.

Anyway, I'll let you have this ridiculousness. You win. You have the biggest internet penis.

vaughnfelix
Dec 14, 2012, 11:14 PM

2. Apple boots Google.

It seems pretty obvious that 2 was a direct cause of 3.

----------

People got fired because Apple Maps sucked. No one got fired because Google upped its iOS game.

Once everyone realizes it's All Publicity. You'll all relax. Apple is really smart that headlines is king! Antenna gate! That was so hilarious How Jobs gave bumpers away for free, and people don't remember Apple for their bad iPhone 4! Hahaha ... They keep themselves relevant through everything so we can all keep talking a out them. It's show biz...

----------

Once everyone realizes it's All Publicity. You'll all relax. Apple is really smart that headlines is king! Antenna gate! That was so hilarious How Jobs gave bumpers away for free, and people don't remember apple for their bad iPhone 4! Hahaha ... They keep themselves relevant through everything so we can all keep talking a out them. It's show biz...

darkplanets
Dec 15, 2012, 02:27 AM
This certainly wasn't intentional, since no one makes business decisions like that based on uncertainties.

That said, I think it did work out in the end. Apple probably thought they could do better, and the last minute contingency plan was that Google and others would quickly step up. Fortstall just failed to deliver.

darcyjames
Dec 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
This certainly wasn't intentional, since no one makes business decisions like that based on uncertainties.

That said, I think it did work out in the end. Apple probably thought they could do better, and the last minute contingency plan was that Google and others would quickly step up. Fortstall just failed to deliver.

Agree - no spin here...also no strategy.

To imply they planned it this way is ludicrous, but that is exactly how it worked out. Except that the stock price has suffered in part because of it; thanks Maps...

tomjleeds
Dec 16, 2012, 06:53 AM

Who said anything about forcing anything?

Latitude is very much opt-in on Android and in its current incarnation on iOS. There is absolutely no suggestion whatsoever that that would change.

Had you used Latitude you would know that Google even go to the extent of emailing you every few months to remind you that they're holding all this data about your movements, and how that might not be the best idea ever, and how you can delete it all and stop any further tracking.

But of course, you'd rather just froth at the mouth a bit.

arashb
Dec 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
Obviously Apple didn't mean for it to happen this way, but I'm sure they're happy about Google's app until they can fix theirs.

But they both still suck. Waze and Sygic are the only two navigation apps that will ever be able to replace a dedicate navi.

renodude18
Dec 16, 2012, 09:08 PM
Oh well, I still trust my cars GPS over my iPhones. It's tried to take me to the wrong places several times no matter which app I've used, I've tried almost all but the outrageously priced ones. :apple:

louis.b
Dec 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
Why can't they get along?
I love Google products on my iOS devices!

They make a great team, if you ask me

But greedy Google just wants to eat Apple's iOS' market share.

WhoDaKat
Dec 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
Yes, if he'd wanted to make the PR disaster even worse than it already was. Can you not imagine the furore had they denied it? Since they'd already approved other maps and navigation apps it would have been blatant discrimination against Google. Might even have been lawsuit territory.

The only furore would be from people like you and your tech blogging friends. It was Google themselves that didn't think it would be accepted in the first place.

Yes, they did. Think.

The iPhone 5 had just been launched, and mapping/GPS is a pretty important feature for many smartphone users. Apple had to reassure buyers that they could get decent maps on their iPhone 5 straight away, or it could have decimated sales. Taking a hard "you'll use our maps and like them or you'll eat them for breakfast" line would only have made it worse.

I'm thinking but its making my head hurt. Clearly you can look at sales numbers and see the maps debacle didn't hurt them very much. I mean they still broke all their intro sales numbers, even after every tech blog decreed them to be total crap. So, I guess its not as important to most people as you think.... or hold on to your hat(e), the maps app isn't as bad as people say! Eeegads!

Personally, I was all set to get an iPhone 5 until I upgraded my iPad to iOS 6, opened Maps, hit 'Satellite' and saw a black-and-white cloudbank where my house used to be. That's fixed now, but the question in my mind was "What's Apple going to wreck next in order to spite the competition? Gmail/contact/calendar sync? Dropbox/Google Drive?

Oh there was a cloud over 1 sq mile of the 196,900,000 sq miles that is our planet. Clearly Apple is wrecking anything and everything in order to.... wait, what good does it do them to wreck everything? Oh thats right, they are in business to spite their competition. Looks like spiting your competition pays pretty good.

SomeDudeAsking
Dec 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
Ok, who drank all the Apple koolaid?

navra233
Dec 21, 2012, 07:07 AM

I am agree with you.

Now its time to get best Maps on your new iOS device.

Jeans89
Dec 21, 2012, 07:44 AM
Cook planned all this to get a decent excuse to ax Forstall and to get better Maps from Google for iPhone users. Well played. :cool: