PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Updates iOS App With Faster News Feed and Rebuilt Timeline

MacRumors
Dec 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/facebook-updates-ios-app-with-faster-news-feed-and-rebuilt-timeline/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/facebook.jpgFacebook has updated (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/facebook) its iOS app with a faster news feed and a rebuilt timeline, all in the name of speed.

Back in August, the company released a completely rewritten (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/23/facebook-releases-rewritten-and-much-faster-iphone-app/) iOS app, foregoing the HTML5-based app that was available previously.
What's new

- Post your photos to albums and enjoy a speedier app.
- You can now choose an album when uploading photos
- News feed loads more quickly
- Completely rebuilt timeline opens faster on your iPhoneFacebook is a free download (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/facebook) on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/facebook/id284882215?mt=8)]

Article Link: Facebook Updates iOS App With Faster News Feed and Rebuilt Timeline (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/facebook-updates-ios-app-with-faster-news-feed-and-rebuilt-timeline/)

doug in albq
Dec 13, 2012, 05:46 PM
How about a cover image/photo that is larger than 851 pixels wide?

Low resolution is so last year...

antster94
Dec 13, 2012, 05:47 PM
Lol no one cares

xizdun
Dec 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
People still use Facebook? Ahoy, all ye (exhibitionists) to whom the word privacy means nothing.

jlgolson
Dec 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
People still use Facebook? Ahoy, all ye (exhibitionists) to whom the word privacy means nothing.

Yeah, more than a billion people actually.

pgiguere1
Dec 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
How about a cover image/photo that is larger than 851 pixels wide?

Low resolution is so last year...

So last year? The vast majority of laptops sold this year have a resolution of 1366x768. Facebook is designed so that everything fits perfectly in that resolution and that there's room left for the timeline year indicator and the chat sidebar on the right side with enough spacing that it doesn't feel totally cramped.

Facebook has to have their target demographic in mind. The average Windows laptop sold this year cost $507 (http://blog.laptopmag.com/the-average-pc-laptop-cost-507-in-march) so it's not exactly surprising that high resolutions on laptops are pretty rare.

Sometimes it's hard not to have a distorted vision of the average technology when you often visit Apple websites where everyone seems to be buying high-end hardware, but most people don't. Even a resolution like 1440x900 is above average on laptops. In fact, even 1024x768 is still more in use than 1440x900 and above.

myrtlebee
Dec 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
News feed doesn't load (noticeably) faster for me

Risco
Dec 13, 2012, 06:16 PM

Oh for goodness sake, you only share what you want to share. You can make your profile as public or private as you want.....

Snowy_River
Dec 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
Anyone know if this new version has restored the ability to save photos? And if it has finally included the ability to share things?

C DM
Dec 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
Anyone know if this new version has restored the ability to save photos? And if it has finally included the ability to share things?Saving photos (at least in most cases) has been available for a while. Sharing (also in most, but not all cases) was introduced about a version or two ago.

Snowy_River
Dec 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Saving photos (at least in most cases) has been available for a while. Sharing (also in most, but not all cases) was introduced about a version or two ago.

Saving photos was lost in their big rewrite back in August. For that reason, I didn't update. Since then, I've kept an eye on my wife's Facebook app (she did update), and I haven't seen any sign of it having returned. So, what is "a while"? As it must be less than four months (if we were to assume that my wife hadn't updated her app since the August update - unlikely, but not impossible), it would be helpful to try to speak in more precise terms.

Sharing was one of the most requested but not present features up to the big rewrite, and it didn't appear with the big rewrite. So, I'm not sure what you mean by "a version or two ago", but if the last "new version" of the app was the one releases in August, then you're simply wrong. If, on the other hand, you're talking about updates, and sharing was introduced in one of these minor updates from Facebook since August, while I wouldn't call those "versions", thank you for the information.

If it seems like I'm being snippy, that's because I feel like your reply was dismissive. As I noted, these have been known issues for some time. If they have been addressed within the lt few months, great. But you don't need to make it sound like they've been fixed for a long time (quite "a while", for "a version or two"), when in fact the longest it could have been is a few months.

DJJAZZYJET
Dec 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
Its still laggy, and facebook disappoints one again ... as usual.

seamer
Dec 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
New computers may support high resolutions, but there are still a huge majority of users around the world where 1024 or even 1280 are still the widest resolution. It's good design practice to work within these limits without forcing the user to scroll, or to suffer an narrower layout, if it isn't actually required.

r-m
Dec 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
I do wish they'd release an update without removing/breaking a feature. Previously was able to add/remove people to/from friends lists by going to their profile, tapping "friend" then picking a list.
Now tapping "friend" just gives the option to unfriend. *sigh* I liked that feature.
Of course, it may have just moved and I'm not seeing it right now. So if anyone knows how to do it in this latest update... Please shout :-)

Saving photos was lost in their big rewrite back in August. For that reason, I didn't update. Since then, I've kept an eye on my wife's Facebook app (she did update), and I haven't seen any sign of it having returned. So, what is "a while"? As it must be less than four months (if we were to assume that my wife hadn't updated her app since the August update - unlikely, but not impossible), it would be helpful to try to speak in more precise terms.

Sharing was one of the most requested but not present features up to the big rewrite, and it didn't appear with the big rewrite. So, I'm not sure what you mean by "a version or two ago", but if the last "new version" of the app was the one releases in August, then you're simply wrong. If, on the other hand, you're talking about updates, and sharing was introduced in one of these minor updates from Facebook since August, while I wouldn't call those "versions", thank you for the information.

If it seems like I'm being snippy, that's because I feel like your reply was dismissive. As I noted, these have been known issues for some time. If they have been addressed within the lt few months, great. But you don't need to make it sound like they've been fixed for a long time (quite "a while", for "a version or two"), when in fact the longest it could have been is a few months.

Going all out here, and assuming most people see a new update as a new version.
And he probably was being dismissive, because both those things are present in the facebook app. Sharing did get introduced in the last "update" (before the one mentioned in this article, possibly the one before that. Not sure.) It's still crap though - only works for certain content (links and videos I think) but not everything.
Also, saving photos, that's been around since saving photos was first introduced... Even in the big rewrite and in every version/update since then. Simply holding your finger on a photo pops up an action sheet with the option to save photo.

Carlanga
Dec 13, 2012, 07:23 PM

You are using it wrong, hold your finger in the photo you want and boom it opens the save button ;) Has been working w/ all versions I have used that had it.

r-m
Dec 13, 2012, 07:31 PM

Sharing has improved a little I think in this latest update. It seems to be available on more items than I remember.
Majority of photos have the share option, status updates that are "public" too but not status updates that are set to "friends" or "friends of friends".
Videos and links also have the share option.

animatedude
Dec 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
this is a very important useful update but still you can't create an album in a group only in your profile!

tech4all
Dec 13, 2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah, more than a billion people actually.

Doesn't mean they're all active though.

Oh for goodness sake, you only share what you want to share. You can make your profile as public or private as you want.....

I don't trust 'privacy settings' on Facebook. Just because it says 'private' doesn't mean it is. If it's on the web, it's not private.

coltman75
Dec 13, 2012, 07:58 PM

In October, Facebook announced that they had 1.01 Billion active monthly users and 584 million active daily users.

Primejimbo
Dec 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
I do wish they'd release an update without removing/breaking a feature. Previously was able to add/remove people to/from friends lists by going to their profile, tapping "friend" then picking a list.
Now tapping "friend" just gives the option to unfriend. *sigh* I liked that feature.
Of course, it may have just moved and I'm not seeing it right now. So if anyone knows how to do it in this latest update... Please shout :-)

I just saw that, I hope it's just moved.

applesith
Dec 13, 2012, 08:20 PM

Poor you.

B2k1977
Dec 13, 2012, 08:42 PM

This is the new America....don't you know personal responsibility is a thing of the past?

iRCL
Dec 13, 2012, 08:51 PM
So last year? The vast majority of laptops sold this year have a resolution of 1366x768. Facebook is designed so that everything fits perfectly in that resolution and that there's room left for the timeline year indicator and the chat sidebar on the right side with enough spacing that it doesn't feel totally cramped.

Facebook has to have their target demographic in mind. The average Windows laptop sold this year cost $507 (http://blog.laptopmag.com/the-average-pc-laptop-cost-507-in-march) so it's not exactly surprising that high resolutions on laptops are pretty rare.

Sometimes it's hard not to have a distorted vision of the average technology when you often visit Apple websites where everyone seems to be buying high-end hardware, but most people don't. Even a resolution like 1440x900 is above average on laptops. In fact, even 1024x768 is still more in use than 1440x900 and above.

What in god's name are you talking about, we are talking about an iOS app

pgiguere1
Dec 13, 2012, 09:06 PM
What in god's name are you talking about, we are talking about an iOS app

Your Facebook cover photo isn't platform-specific. It's 851 pixels wide no matter if you're using a browser or mobile app.

The reason this specific size has been chosen is because most Facebook traffic comes from laptops (with 1366x768 being the most common resolution).

xizdun
Dec 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
Oh for goodness sake, you only share what you want to share. You can make your profile as public or private as you want.....Yea, heh. That's what they'd like the naive like you to believe. You have ZERO control over what they do with your information tomorrow -- with the information you've provided them over all these years. You thinking deleting your account or info deletes it off their servers? Nice try. Yea, 5-10-15 years from now they will still own all that information about you, not to mention the 1000s of photos of you that you've uploaded over the years. Oh, the joy of preying on the naive (you) to get ahead in life (Mark Zuckerberg and friends). Don't tell me, you don't care about what they do with your info; you haven't got anything to hide, anyway. Yea, you won't be saying the same thing when it comes back to bite you in the behind in a few years. :)

hulabaloo
Dec 14, 2012, 12:26 AM
Can they please just fix that small irritating bug that prevents notifications that show up on your lock screen from playing a sound no matter what you do to tell it to do so? OMG, how hard can that be? It's been busted on my iPhone 4s running iOS 6, my son's 4s on iOS 6, and my daughter's 4s on iOS 5 for months and months now.

Sheesh.

whcchief
Dec 14, 2012, 01:22 AM
All those slamming facebook for privacy concerns.

Number 1 rule - if it's private, DON'T SHARE IT! Simple.

nickhutson
Dec 14, 2012, 01:50 AM
I'd like a UNFOLLOW NOTIFICATIONS option in the Facebook App.

attila
Dec 14, 2012, 04:02 AM

"Not on Facebook? Employers, Psychiatrists May Think You're a Psychopath"

http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/no-facebook-psychopath/

GoCubsGo
Dec 14, 2012, 04:26 AM
This is the new America....don't you know personal responsibility is a thing of the past?

Those are some big words you're using! Personal responsi...what?! :D

Drunken Master
Dec 14, 2012, 04:59 AM
Lol no one cares

Translation: I have no friends.

Yea, heh. That's what they'd like the naive like you to believe. You have ZERO control over what they do with your information tomorrow -- with the information you've provided them over all these years. You thinking deleting your account or info deletes it off their servers? Nice try. Yea, 5-10-15 years from now they will still own all that information about you, not to mention the 1000s of photos of you that you've uploaded over the years. Oh, the joy of preying on the naive (you) to get ahead in life (Mark Zuckerberg and friends). Don't tell me, you don't care about what they do with your info; you haven't got anything to hide, anyway. Yea, you won't be saying the same thing when it comes back to bite you in the behind in a few years. :)

What are they going to do with that info though?

You're making the erroneous assumption that most people actually lead interesting lives.

sananda
Dec 14, 2012, 05:31 AM
I updated to this thinking the screenshots in App Store looked better than what I was getting already. On my original iPad it doesn't look anything like their screenshots; I don't get Timeline!

GRuizMD
Dec 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
Yea, heh. That's what they'd like the naive like you to believe. You have ZERO control over what they do with your information tomorrow -- with the information you've provided them over all these years. You thinking deleting your account or info deletes it off their servers? Nice try. Yea, 5-10-15 years from now they will still own all that information about you, not to mention the 1000s of photos of you that you've uploaded over the years. Oh, the joy of preying on the naive (you) to get ahead in life (Mark Zuckerberg and friends). Don't tell me, you don't care about what they do with your info; you haven't got anything to hide, anyway. Yea, you won't be saying the same thing when it comes back to bite you in the behind in a few years. :)

Is perfectly reasonable that you don't have a Facebook account with the degree of paranoia that you show, what surprises me is that you even own a computer, people out there might be collecting all those key strokes and use them against you in 25 years.

We are all watching you... Cause you are very interesting.

Boston007
Dec 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
I'm sorry but I am LOLing at the people who thought the Save Photo option was removed LOL.

Hold down on the picture and you'll get the option to save.

Embrace your Apple fanboyism, think Different :)

Dec 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
Translation: I have no friends.

What are they going to do with that info though?

You're making the erroneous assumption that most people actually lead interesting lives.

exactly what i would like to know.. we always see the privacy thing whenever facebook or google comes up in the conversation.. how are they going to bite me after 10 years or so forth.. can someone give good examples of this.. call me naive for this but i would really like to know.

Risco
Dec 14, 2012, 10:15 AM

So you tell me in a non paranoid conspiracy theorist way ( which you appear to be ) how it will come back to "bite me in the arse" as you so quaintly put it?

Rogue.
Dec 14, 2012, 10:23 AM

WOW, I bet you even have tape over your iSight camera..... :p

MadDawg2020
Dec 14, 2012, 10:27 AM

Well actually the original poster is right and you are missing his point. If you don't want people seeing embarrassing photos of you drunk at spring break or to know your home address and phone number, THEN DON'T POST IT ON ONE OF THE WORLDS MOST POPULAR WEBSITES THAT FROM THE BEGINNING HAS HAD ISSUES WITH PRIVACY! and yes you are correct in that the 'privacy' settings mean nothing, all those do is block the content from the general view public but it is ALL stored and anaylized and processed by the Facebook data miners to extract every imaginable trend to track your online habits and likes and movements, so they can make billions of dollars from the information you hand over for free. Which is even more reason to NOT post things about your private life you don't want to share with the entire world.

unplugme71
Dec 14, 2012, 10:34 AM

so you think :rolleyes:

Risco
Dec 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
so you think :rolleyes:

If I don't post my phone number on Facebook, it is kept private. If I don't upload an embarrassing pic, it is kept private. I choose what I want to share, anything I don't is neither posted nor uploaded and is therefore private. How hard is that to comprehend?

vaughnfelix
Dec 14, 2012, 11:28 AM

Uh yeah it's called " social network "

FuNGi
Dec 14, 2012, 11:30 AM

Oh for the love of god. The moment you delete a photo Facebook no longer owns possession of it. You get old, married, have kids and become embarrassed that your entire adolescent life was documented in excruciating detail that you wish would just. go. away. So you delete it and FB loose's all rights to it.

""... For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

link: Facebook Terms of Service (http://www.facebook.com/legal/terms)

vaughnfelix
Dec 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
Can they please just fix that small irritating bug that prevents notifications that show up on your lock screen from playing a sound no matter what you do to tell it to do so? OMG, how hard can that be? It's been busted on my iPhone 4s running iOS 6, my son's 4s on iOS 6, and my daughter's 4s on iOS 5 for months and months now. Sheesh.

It was on purpose, it happened in the middle of the day and they did it because iOS users are constantly on there and imagine how much your battery would drain if you got all your notifications with sound and vibrate... You know Facebook bought Instagram and they disabled the very same feature too...

----------

THANK YOU!!!! Someone finally with brains...

----------

Facebook App Wishlist:

1: Change profile picture and cover picture without having to upload the picture then assigning it, which you have to do on mobile browsing and or full site mobile.

2: Delete and or Edit every comment, like how it is on mobile browsing, which some comments you can delete on FB iOs but not all.

3: Bring back List assignments when you go to a persons profile, because it's really annoying to have annoying friends and you don't want to see every annoying post they do.

.... That's it for now until I think of more useful speedy convenient goodies.

mdelvecchio
Dec 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
I don't trust 'privacy settings' on Facebook. Just because it says 'private' doesn't mean it is. If it's on the web, it's not private.

simple solution -- dont publish anything you fear getting out. if you just want a silly place to share cat pics w/ your friends & family it's no big deal.

----------

why in god's name would you post anything sensitive to FB? they dont have my credit card nor even Likes on what media interest me. you dont have to invest ANYTHING into your FB account, or even use your real name. durrr

MEJHarrison
Dec 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
Yea, heh. That's what they'd like the naive like you to believe. You have ZERO control over what they do with your information tomorrow

I'm one of those who use my brain. If I don't want the world to know about it, I don't tell the world. The stuff I put on Facebook is intended to be shared with the world.

ilovemyibook
Dec 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Delete

arkmannj
Dec 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
can you change your cover photo/art within the app yet?

seerendipity
Dec 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
Who cares how fast it is when the data is all messed up and most recent actually shows posts older than Top? At least now when I check the app I know a bit faster that, yes, the data is still not even close to correct and is all stale.

abn0038
Dec 14, 2012, 02:10 PM
Anybody else got this? Using ClamXav on my iMac.

C DM
Dec 14, 2012, 02:48 PM

If it seems like I'm being snippy, that's because I feel like your reply was dismissive. As I noted, these have been known issues for some time. If they have been addressed within the lt few months, great. But you don't need to make it sound like they've been fixed for a long time (quite "a while", for "a version or two"), when in fact the longest it could have been is a few months.Wasn't trying to be dismissive, just providing information, in a "short story" sense.

As a number of others and I mentioned, saving photos has been part of the app before the major rewrite and since it--which is why I essentially used "a while". While I don't doubt that there are people that have some sort of an issue with that for one reason or another (since I've seen some threads on it), the feature/functionality has been there and is still there now and seems to work for most without.

As for sharing, that was definitely one of the bigger things that was mentioned it seems in the previous (minor/point) 5.2 update (given that the current is 5.3). I couldn't remember if it was in 5.2 or 5.1, so I used "in the last update or two", which technically is still correct and I would say fairly narrow in scope.

For reference, you should be able to go to the app in the App Store (on an iOS device or perhaps iTunes and check the app's version history to see what was introduced/changed in the past versions).

JuBe
Dec 14, 2012, 04:16 PM
But how have they not re-integrated the landscape keyboard already?

C DM
Dec 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
But how have they not re-integrated the landscape keyboard already?More like landscape anything--you can't even go into landscape mode if you are viewing some link or, in particular, a video from within the Facebook app, which is pretty bad.

twigman08
Dec 14, 2012, 06:54 PM

Then you might as well never buy anything online or use your credit/debit card. That is online. And like you said nothing online is private.

Heck even sliding your card at a grocery store that is more than likely sent over a network. Ever been to a grocery store and had credit/debit go down? It's cause the network is down. Very rarely now can it approve offline.

vaughnfelix
Dec 14, 2012, 11:15 PM

Thank you!!!

SVTVenom
Dec 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
Same lagging crap as it's always been. Glad to see that it appears to actually load the most recent posts when I tell it to now. Groundbreaking.

ZZ Bottom
Dec 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
After updating, the feed will not load. Even after a full restart and logout it just hangs.

I suggest for anyone with a previous release that works to wait for further updates. Take a look at the user reviews on App Store and you will see there is widespread problems now.

louis.b
Dec 18, 2012, 04:06 AM
Facebook is terrible with privacy. Let's switch to Google+ because Google is better. Oh wait...