Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Used Google Maps today for my trip to work as compared to using the Apple GPS.

I prefer the Apple so far. What was funny, in the morning Google was slow at saying the directions. Coming home, she was fine with that.

What bothered me was the inability to switch to the full map view to see where the traffic is that it was warning me about on the way home. Also lacking was the quick screen to see the alternate routes home once your driving that was on my Android phone. Why they would take that feature away is beyond me. It is also something I wish Apple would add to Apple Maps.

I wish Apple GPS would alert you to traffic, but at least you can check the full map much easier then then on Google Maps.

I'm still waiting for one of these map service to give me a trip report at the end. Like how long it took me to get where I'm going, how many miles and average mph and fun stuff like that.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I just took mine on a round trip to LAX and back (about 65 miles each way). One way I used the google maps app and the other way I used the Apple Maps (and the in-car navigation for a comparison).

The google maps was OK. Voice was often late, telling you to turn while in the intersection or just past it. Sometimes the voice was clipped off. It handled round-abouts very poorly. I didn't see any traffic updated, it seemed to not be working at the time.... thought everything was quite smooth in terms of traffic.

My biggest complaint. The text on the screen for things like destination and what's next. Very small sometimes. I had to pick up my iPhone to look at what interstate number was coming up for me to turn on. It OFTEN did not read interstate numbers; it would just say, take exit 6A instead of take exit 6A for I-5 south. To me this is a glaring flaw; especially with the small text on the screen.

Best feature of Google Maps. It automatically used the cars bluetooth to speak the directions. This was a big surprise and I really liked the feature. I am REALLy surprised that Apple doesn't do this. It wasn't perfect, it often made the car think the phone was ringing (the car said incoming phone call, sometimes connected, but there was no one there).

Apple maps were smooth, easier to read, and offered better control of the route. But not all of the extra routing features.

Generally I would say that the Apple Maps worked better. Google wasn't bad but following it was a bit harder because when things got busy (like around LAX) it became crowded on the screen and the voice wasn't cutting the mustard.

Don't get me started on the BMW Nav system, man that thing sucks. It told me to make a left turn. . . when I was on a freeway! Even worse, make a left turn in 300 feet; and then an immediate right. I'll NEVER use this navigation again, crap, crap, crap.

My vote :

Apple Maps > Google Maps > all other maps > BMW maps

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I have been fine with Apple Maps since release. I get that there are some glaring errors for some people, but I haven't found any in my neck of the woods. The worst I have seen has been the TBT telling me to get off and back on a new roadway's exits instead of staying on, and there is a wrong exit at a nearby interchange.

Apple Maps is much smarter than Magellan at getting me home once I go past the main drag. I take another way, and it doesn't tell me to take a U-turn for the next three miles. I might try out Google to see what happens.

I do like that I can get pedestrian directions now. I needed that for the first time in forever last month.

I would like to see other developers use these map systems to make better ones. I deleted my Magellan app because it took up 1.6 GB and didn't get updated enough. But I miss the speed limit and some other info on the display, plus it has a night mode. But Apple Maps is good enough to allow me to free up 1.6 GB on a 16 GB iPhone.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Am I just missing where you can look at other routes in either application once you are already driving?

Why would google take this away? It was great for when you saw traffic up ahead.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
I used google navigation 4 times in the last 3 days and have had no issues with it at all. I've not tried the apple navigation but used Navi-X for the past year or so. I like google nav much better than Navi-X, but i'll have to give apple nav a try before I can comment on its effectiveness. My brother has used apple nav in the past and has switched back to Navi-X, but that may just be his preference.

soch

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
portland
That's why we have Extra Mile - it gives voice directions plus records all your trip details with the fun stats.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id439589978

msooffutt

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
I've actually had worse problems with google's maps then I did with apple's map. Twice, and on two different highways, it tried sending me in the wrong direction. Luckily I knew it was wrong, so it wasn't a big deal, but I won't be using it again. A friend of mine had it do the same thing, and he had it happen on 270, going toward Washington DC.

Thing I'll just stick with Waze.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.