PDA

View Full Version : FTP App?

rendez2k
Dec 14, 2012, 12:59 AM
Is there a full featured FTP app for iPad that will connect to my FTP site and allow me to download files to my local NAS drive? Many thanks!

MisterMe
Dec 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
What is wrong with those that a simple search finds in the iTunes App Store?

rendez2k
Dec 14, 2012, 07:29 AM
Well, I tried that and got a lot of apps back, tried a few free ones but non of them worked! They seemed to allow downloading to the iPad but not to any network storage?

pigbrother
Dec 16, 2012, 12:53 AM
What you're looking for it's called FXP, but I'm afraid there aren't any iPad apps to support it.

ChristianJapan
Dec 16, 2012, 01:34 AM
GoodReader ...

just to understand: you want to connect to an FTP server via iPad and transfer the files over to a NAS ?

Wouldn't be easier to connect to the NAS via login and start the transfer from there (in case the NAS offer that). Can you provide a bit more details about the use case ?

rendez2k
Dec 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
GoodReader ...

just to understand: you want to connect to an FTP server via iPad and transfer the files over to a NAS ?

Wouldn't be easier to connect to the NAS via login and start the transfer from there (in case the NAS offer that). Can you provide a bit more details about the use case ?

Thats correct - download files from an FTP site to my NAS. I was hoping the iPad could act as the connection but it appears not? As far as I'm aware, the interface of my NAS box won't allow me to connect to an external FTP site (although the interface is terrible and I'm no expert!). Currently using a PC but don't always have access to it.

ChristianJapan
Dec 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Thats correct - download files from an FTP site to my NAS. I was hoping the iPad could act as the connection but it appears not? As far as I'm aware, the interface of my NAS box won't allow me to connect to an external FTP site (although the interface is terrible and I'm no expert!). Currently using a PC but don't always have access to it.

In this case I would still use GoodReader. The only problem is you need to store the files temporary on the iPad consuming the storage. Depending On file size and nature of the files (privacy) that might be a problem.
First download the files from FTP to iPad; second copy files from iPad to NAS; then delete the local files from iPad.

Alternative solution: to you have a unix box on which per iSSH you could connect and initiate scp (instead of FTP).

rendez2k
Dec 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
In this case I would still use GoodReader. The only problem is you need to store the files temporary on the iPad consuming the storage. Depending On file size and nature of the files (privacy) that might be a problem.
First download the files from FTP to iPad; second copy files from iPad to NAS; then delete the local files from iPad.

Alternative solution: to you have a unix box on which per iSSH you could connect and initiate scp (instead of FTP).

Can you copy files from good reader to nas without the need of a pc?

ChristianJapan
Dec 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
Can you copy files from good reader to nas without the need of a pc?

Sure ... As long you have credentials you can connect to a number of sources: FTP, SFTP, AFP, WebDAV, SMB.
it's just a two-step copy process. Pull data to iPad; then push data from iPad.

rendez2k
Dec 17, 2012, 06:34 AM
Well, its working great! A little slow (and technically I have to transfer the files twice) but, it works!

Many thanks!