PDA

View Full Version : New software promises easier game porting

Durandal7
Dec 1, 2002, 04:41 PM
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0211/29.macdx.php

MacDX maker Coderus Ltd and PortAsm/86 maker MicroAPL Ltd have announced a collaboration that the two companies hope will make it easier for PC developers to bring their games to the Macintosh. While this doesn't mean that PC game developers can just click a button and expect their game to work on the Macintosh, it is a significant step closer for developers who want to make the effort.

Microsoft's own DirectX Application Programming Interface (API) is ubiquitous in game development on Windows and the Xbox game console. The technology provides Windows game makers with a common library of commands supplied by Microsoft that they can use to render 3D graphics, embed networking capabilities, audio and other components of their games.

Coderus' MacDX provides PC game developers with a way of moving that DirectX code to the Macintosh without having to rewrite it from scratch -- Coderus claims that most code which uses DirectX can simply be recompiled and linked to the MacDX libraries.

Hopefully this means that games will get ported to MacOS a little quicker in the future.

dricci
Dec 1, 2002, 05:04 PM
I think there are several of these "DirectX-to-OpenGL" converters out there, I don't know if any of them are being utilized in any of the games available. But I know I've heard of similar things like this at least twice.

gambit
Dec 1, 2002, 11:53 PM
was anounced 1 month ago and is allready at FC!!! They work!

FelixDerKater
Dec 2, 2002, 01:57 PM
Porting to OpenGL... Great. This is the same story that keeps coming up at different times. It doesn't matter if the technology is there if it isn't used.

Then we could get into a debate about OpenGL, the most resource-hungry, wasteful beast out there.

MrMacMan
Dec 2, 2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Porting to OpenGL... Great. This is the same story that keeps coming up at different times. It doesn't matter if the technology is there if it isn't used.

Then we could get into a debate about OpenGL, the most resource-hungry, wasteful beast out there.
hehe, but it still means we get decent PC games.
Gogogogo Port CS for mac. :D + ;)
It would only be like 4 years too late. :rolleyes:
Hey maybe Roller Coaste Tycoon or some kiddies game. ;)