PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox Updates iOS App With New Photos Experience and a "Shiny New Design"

MacRumors
Dec 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/14/dropbox-updates-ios-app-with-new-photos-experience-and-a-shiny-new-design/)

Dropbox has updated its iOS app (https://blog.dropbox.com/2012/12/super-new-dropbox-for-ios/) with a new photo browsing experience, a "shiny new design", and a streamlined way to upload files directly to a particular folder.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/dropbox2.jpg
The new photos experience is the biggest change, however:
Now all of your photos are right at your fingertips with the brand new Photos tab. With just a tap, you'll be able to scroll through a timeline of all the photos you've automatically uploaded (including the pocket-dialed ones too). And since Dropbox is a one stop shop for all your memories, you can also check out the photos you've uploaded from everywhere else!

Also, when you select a photo, you'll be able to view it in full-screen glory with nary a button in sight. This means you can get maximum real estate when you're flipping through puppy photos, or those pics of your bare feet. And to make things even better, our new speedy scroller will help you navigate all the way back to time immemorial (or your earliest photos) in seconds. Even if you have "Billions and Billions" of them.Dropbox for iOS is a free download (http://appshopper.com/productivity/dropbox) from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id327630330?mt=8)]

Article Link: Dropbox Updates iOS App With New Photos Experience and a "Shiny New Design" (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/14/dropbox-updates-ios-app-with-new-photos-experience-and-a-shiny-new-design/)

bushido
Dec 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
love the new UI looks very polished and clean. kinda reminds me of an google designed application

Bathplug
Dec 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Its nice but is it just me or is the top right tick icon a weird design choice to move or delete a file or folder.

alexander25
Dec 14, 2012, 03:35 PM
love the new UI looks very polished and clean. kinda reminds me of an google designed application

Yup

I wish there was a way to download more than one picture to the camera roll at one time.

Select the photos you want > save to camera roll

Hopefully this will come soon

kockgunner
Dec 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
It's interesting they no longer use the iOS toolbar and tab selector. It has a more Android look now. Is this another sign iOS needs a major revamp?

Razeus
Dec 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
Man I love this app.

Yes, I was hoping for a multiple save to camera roll feature too...sigh.

----------

All these new apps updates are looking gorgeous. Dropbox, Google Maps, Rdio, Gmail, 1Password, Evernote, Youtube, and even Facebook - lol.

2013 were are going to see some beautiful apps. Finally the bar is raising. Now Google Maps just needs change that ridiculous icon.

nfl46
Dec 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
Looks great. This is how I password protect my pictures on my non jailbreak phone...upload them to DropBox, then delete off my phone. :)

roxxette
Dec 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
looks more like the hotmail outlook with the blue and the check marks etc

charlieegan3
Dec 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
Dropbox as a service has totally changed the way I use my devices.

tardegrade
Dec 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
Its nice but is it just me or is the top right tick icon a weird design choice to move or delete a file or folder.

Yeah. It's a bit weird. It doesn't indicate "Edit" or Change or whatever to me visually. I'd no idea what it did until I tried it.
Maybe someone else can explain the UI design decision behind it. Strange.

Apart from that it is a beautifully designed app and a very useful one that has become an essential part of my work.

Mac_i_Am
Dec 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
I wish they would do something about not being able to read long file names.

Scrumper
Dec 14, 2012, 05:21 PM
Dropbox as a service has totally changed the way I use my devices.

Me too! I only discovered its benefits recently but I'm loving it.

mrsir2009
Dec 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
Hopefully now you'll actually be able to use the iOS app to rename photos.

ThunderSkunk
Dec 14, 2012, 06:30 PM
Interesting. An android-like interface and an auto-uploader for photos, but no way to rename files or select folders for offline viewing or see previous versions of files. Weird.

Mike Oxard
Dec 14, 2012, 06:42 PM
Hopefully now you'll actually be able to use the iOS app to rename photos.
It doesn't look like it. I'd like to be able to rename PDFs on my ipad without having to export then reimport.

mrsir2009
Dec 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
It doesn't look like it. I'd like to be able to rename PDFs on my ipad without having to export then reimport.

Indeed - It's a basic feature that should really be implemented. Maybe I should contact them and suggest it?

Carlanga
Dec 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
Interesting. An android-like interface and an auto-uploader for photos, but no way to rename files or select folders for offline viewing or see previous versions of files. Weird.

I agree, I have been waiting a long time for folder to be offline but alas it seems all online places nowadays care only about your pictures uploads.

jlnr
Dec 14, 2012, 10:06 PM
It's interesting they no longer use the iOS toolbar and tab selector. It has a more Android look now. Is this another sign iOS needs a major revamp?

No matter what the base design is - designers will always try to stand out, and managers will always try to enforce their corporate identity on all platforms.

Curious that with all the focus on photos, it's still not possible to favorite a complete folder and have your photos with you on the go.

hauntvictim
Dec 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
Very Windows 8 icon much like the Yahoo! Mail app for iOS.

Navdakilla
Dec 14, 2012, 11:34 PM
just updated, cool so far

Simplicated
Dec 14, 2012, 11:51 PM
Say what you want, I think the new interface is UGLY. It looks like an Android app with unfathomable icons thrown all over the place.

roxxette
Dec 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
Say what you want, I think the new interface is UGLY. It looks like an Android app with unfathomable icons thrown all over the place.

Do you even use dropbox ? The damm icons are placed the same way.

Simplicated
Dec 15, 2012, 12:24 AM
Do you even use dropbox ? The damm icons are placed the same way.

So I'm supposed to remember the positions now? What happened to designing intuitive icons? It took me a while to understand why the check mark meant Edit. Nice design there.

flameproof
Dec 15, 2012, 01:24 AM
With the Dropbox Android app I can edit TXT files, in iOS I can't. That really sux.

roxxette
Dec 15, 2012, 01:27 AM
With the Dropbox Android app I can edit TXT files, in iOS I can't. That really sux.

Yeap is a damm shame, what ido is either copy to clipboard and edit in another app or open in....

flameproof
Dec 15, 2012, 01:31 AM
Yeap is a damm shame, what ido is either copy to clipboard and edit in another app or open in....

Sure, with 10 clicks and some other apps you do get that functionality on iOS.

Cod3rror
Dec 15, 2012, 03:37 AM
I liked the old version better. It was a stock iOS UI.

Also the gallery viewer is terribly. It is only for the photos you've uploaded; whereas the previous version had a thumbnail button, that once tapped would display a thumbnail view of pictures in any folder.

bushido
Dec 15, 2012, 09:41 AM
now its crashing on my iPad after i put in my security code :mad: works on the iPhone tho

bjm2660
Dec 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
Is it snappier?

faroZ06
Dec 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
Dropbox is wonderful! It replaces most of iCloud for me (and supports Macs better, ironically), plus I use it for web hosting, file transfer, and file syncing. I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook, and I basically just save all documents to the same Dropbox folder on both PCs.

----------

Yeah, why don't they let you do it in the iOS version?

Compile 'em all
Dec 15, 2012, 01:10 PM

Looks horrible and feels alien in iOS.

ohbrilliance
Dec 15, 2012, 04:34 PM

Seems pretty straightforward to me. The tick icon represents selection. Press tge tick and then you can select items.

whsbuss
Dec 15, 2012, 05:07 PM
I like MyBook Live. Personal cloud storage, time machine backup, mobile app access.

japanime
Dec 16, 2012, 01:30 AM
Like most everyone else who has posted, I also am a huge fan of Dropbox.

However ... do people really take pictures of their bare feet? :D

(Seriously, that comment in the press release seemed to come out of nowhere.)

needfx
Dec 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
I am a dropbox fan, but isn't photo sharing all too overbet on??

seems like everyone is looking to make a phot sharing solution, facebook, google, dropbox, instagram (back then), will.i.am, box, smaller developers, everyone.

on the other hand, why do consumers have this craze to share everything they do in their life with everyone??

jeez

vmachiel
Dec 16, 2012, 08:36 AM
I does have an android feel to it. Not sure if i like it yet, i'm used to the consistency between iOS apps

Dr McKay
Dec 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
I does have an android feel to it. Not sure if i like it yet, i'm used to the consistency between iOS apps

What do you mean? It looks a little similar to dropbox on android but then it would. The app on both platforms has design aspects from the platform it's on.

Here it is on Android. You can't possibly mean Android in general because it looks nothing like it.

Limboistik
Dec 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
Its worth noting that you get up to 3GB of additional space when you plugin ur phone and import your photos and videos to dropbox.

Fireviperrr
Dec 17, 2012, 04:08 AM
Its worth noting that you get up to 3GB of additional space when you plugin ur phone and import your photos and videos to dropbox.

Thanks for the advice, I didnīt know that. Itīs an easy way to upgrade the free space.

Another way to get some free space is to use the referral link displayed in your Dropbox. For each new Dropbox user using the referral link both get 250mb free space. So feel free signing up using my referral link:

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE2OTgxOTEzOQ?src=global0

We both get 250 mb free, thx!

jakeOSX
Dec 17, 2012, 07:20 AM

i use byword. it is a text editor but integrates with dropbox (and iCloud if you prefer)

Razeus
Dec 17, 2012, 08:42 AM
I am a dropbox fan, but isn't photo sharing all too overbet on??

seems like everyone is looking to make a phot sharing solution, facebook, google, dropbox, instagram (back then), will.i.am, box, smaller developers, everyone.

on the other hand, why do consumers have this craze to share everything they do in their life with everyone??

jeez

It's just giving you choice so you don't have to use multiple apps to get the same effect. Why upload photos to Dropbox if you can't view then in a gallery/slideshow format without using yet ANOTHER app to do it.

curmudgeon32
Dec 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
Its nice but is it just me or is the top right tick icon a weird design choice to move or delete a file or folder. It's a little weird, but it does let you multiple-select, which is great.

curmudgeon32
Dec 17, 2012, 11:26 AM
It's just giving you choice so you don't have to use multiple apps to get the same effect. Why upload photos to Dropbox if you can't view then in a gallery/slideshow format without using yet ANOTHER app to do it. Right, and it also happens to drive demand for larger storage plans. :)

Digital Skunk
Dec 17, 2012, 01:52 PM
So I'm supposed to remember the positions now? What happened to designing intuitive icons? It took me a while to understand why the check mark meant Edit. Nice design there.

I agree, but it's nothing that a press wouldn't uncover.

I was hoping that was going to be included in this update. I am very greatful that devs are starting to understand that some folks use both iOS and Android, so making the apps identical helps out the end user.

Now, I will be fumbling just a bit with Dropbox or defaulting back to Android to get certain functions. Not a huge problem though.

Right, and it also happens to drive demand for larger storage plans. :)

I killed my first 2GB shortly after signing up, then I did the mad dash to get people to sign up under my referral, and got every free offer I could manage from DB. I pulled my 2GB to 6.5GB and still needed more. I sucked it up and got the base account. Once I got my Note 2 I got 50GBs more.

I do LOVE Dropbox, and am very glad they remained independent.

Razeus
Dec 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
Right, and it also happens to drive demand for larger storage plans. :)

They are the most expensive one for what you get in GB's, but I think it's worth it. Most apps sync with it to provide back up. Photo uploads from my phone works way better than Photostream. I was weighing between Dropbox, Skydrive, and GDrive, but I think Dropbox has the better support (after all, it's the only product they have) and better implementation.

The only feature I would like to see is an "Archive" folder in which I can upload to that folder and then delete the files from my hard drive. Sugar Sync has this and it's a neat feature.

I think they need to up the space they give for the prices though.

Marshall3
Dec 19, 2012, 03:33 AM
Android and desktop version of Dropbox seems way better than iOS version of Dropbox as there is no such randomness in the design. Since Dropbox has integrated with GroupDocs (http://groupdocs.com/blog/groupdocs-document-management/archive/2012/08/15/announcing-dropbox-integration-with-groupdocs-apps-suite.html), the hassles of viewing, editing and converting docs on different platforms has completely eliminated. For me, it is the most successful integration provided by Dropbox for its users.

curmudgeon32
Dec 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
They are the most expensive one for what you get in GB's, but I think it's worth it.

I wholeheartedly agree. I've been using it for several years (since back when you had to go to the domain "getdropbox.com" because they didn't yet own "dropbox.com"!). I very promptly upgraded to a paid plan because I was collaborating with a couple of people on designing a book, and it made the process entirely friction-free.

Now, almost every file on my Macbook Air is kept inside its Dropbox folder so that its always in sync with my other Mac and of course my iPhone.

And at work, I started a freebie account that enabled me to get at a bunch of my files from home when our office was trashed by Sandy. I only wish I could get our Neanderthal IT manager to ditch the unusable Microsoft Sharepoint garbage that they spend so much time and energy maintaining in favor of a beefy Dropbox Teams account. (They've already spent so much on Sharepoint that nobody's ever going to admit it was a horrible mistake, of course).

As for iCloud, it's turned out to be very little of a threat to Dropbox, in my opinion. It's totally opaque, unreliable, and its weird app-by-app silo approach is just confusing. And at least if Dropbox has downtime (rare), you still have all your files there on your machine to transfer some other way if you need to.

I think the jury is still out on Google Drive, but it sure felt like a half-baked Dropbox ripoff when I used it a few months ago.

Razeus
Dec 20, 2012, 08:20 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. I've been using it for several years (since back when you had to go to the domain "getdropbox.com" because they didn't yet own "dropbox.com"!). I very promptly upgraded to a paid plan because I was collaborating with a couple of people on designing a book, and it made the process entirely friction-free.

Now, almost every file on my Macbook Air is kept inside its Dropbox folder so that its always in sync with my other Mac and of course my iPhone.

And at work, I started a freebie account that enabled me to get at a bunch of my files from home when our office was trashed by Sandy. I only wish I could get our Neanderthal IT manager to ditch the unusable Microsoft Sharepoint garbage that they spend so much time and energy maintaining in favor of a beefy Dropbox Teams account. (They've already spent so much on Sharepoint that nobody's ever going to admit it was a horrible mistake, of course).

As for iCloud, it's turned out to be very little of a threat to Dropbox, in my opinion. It's totally opaque, unreliable, and its weird app-by-app silo approach is just confusing. And at least if Dropbox has downtime (rare), you still have all your files there on your machine to transfer some other way if you need to.

I think the jury is still out on Google Drive, but it sure felt like a half-baked Dropbox ripoff when I used it a few months ago.

I'm still debating on paying. I have 35% used of a 13GB free account. I want to get 100GB for the safety of some of my choice photography RAW files and music that I obtain from non-iTunes stores (since I'm not sure if I'm able to re-download purchases).

Google Drive sounds good and SkyDrive is even cheaper, but I prefer having one location instead of all these accounts with files all over the place. If anything Google Drive would be the back up for the backup.

We will see where Dropbox goes. They just bought Audiogalaxy and Snapjoy...

curmudgeon32
Dec 20, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm still debating on paying. I have 35% used of a 13GB free account. I want to get 100GB for the safety of some of my choice photography RAW files and music that I obtain from non-iTunes stores (since I'm not sure if I'm able to re-download purchases).

This is way off-topic, but:

I played around with a few online backup services at one point (Mozy, SpiderOak) but got pretty tired of saturating my internet connection waiting for gigantic uploads. Now I just clone everything periodically and keep the encrypted drives in my desk at work. Hard drives are dirt cheap now, so it's cost-effective — and if there was a disaster I could recover my stuff much more quickly than via downloading.

The most important stuff (things I created vs. things I downloaded) is still backed up in real time in Dropbox, of course.

Razeus
Dec 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
This is way off-topic, but:

I played around with a few online backup services at one point (Mozy, SpiderOak) but got pretty tired of saturating my internet connection waiting for gigantic uploads. Now I just clone everything periodically and keep the encrypted drives in my desk at work. Hard drives are dirt cheap now, so it's cost-effective — and if there was a disaster I could recover my stuff much more quickly than via downloading.

The most important stuff (things I created vs. things I downloaded) is still backed up in real time in Dropbox, of course.

Oh, yes, I have 2 hard drives with backups. Dropbox would be extra storage and security layer for things I cannot lose. Ever.