Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
i got fed up with using TextEdit to do my own HTML editing... so I'm looking for others (prefer free), but i don't mind paying a bit.

Had a look at BBEdit, but the price tag almost knocked me over...

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I would recommend TextWrangler as essential for any Mac. It's an ideal text editor, and also allows easy editing of system files, handling the permissions and ownership issues.
It recognises a wide rang of scripting languages, colours syntax accordingly; it also uses regular expression searching and has extensive text manipulation tools.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: emacs...

Okay, I know I'm an antediluvian troglodyte, as my progeny always love to point out to me, but I'll add my two cents here and suggest "emacs" or its Aqua version "aquamacs" (emacs comes with Mac OS X and aquamacs is free).

Emacs is, in my humble opinion, the most powerful and flexible of all editors. You can do almost anything in emacs, not only writing and testing code in most any programming language natively, but also editing 10000 files automatically with a single line of emacs elisp code...

Okay, you may go ahead and make fun of me now ... I give you my permission.

Regards,
Switon

P.S. Barring emacs, then I agree TextWrangler is nice...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.