Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiftyfive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Im beginning to work with Final Cut Pro with my new major and would like to be able to use it at home instead of working in editing suites at my school. Right now I have a 400 mhz G4 Power Mac and a Dell Laptop. I love having the laptop and would like to get a Power Book but would it be worth it or should I wait for the G5 Power Book?.. other options are upgrading my G4 Power Mac enough that it can run final cut, or just go ahead and get a G5 Power Mac.
Suggestions are appreciated.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
yes wait for the powerbook G5

(heheheheheheh i have always wanted to say that)

since there will never be a powerbook G5 enjoy the wait

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
A PowerBook G5 might never see the light of day, that was one of Apple/Steve Jobs reasons for the Intel switch.

the PPC G5 has a lot of promise, however it also has a lot of heat that goes with the power. And right now there is no way for it to fit in the notebook shell and having decent battery life.

I do not see a PBG5, the life span would be too short and pointless and the effort not even worth it. Intel based PowerBooks will be on the horizon. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
eva01 said:
yes wait for the powerbook G5

(heheheheheheh i have always wanted to say that)

since there will never be a powerbook G5 enjoy the wait
Yes, definitely wait for the PowerBook G5.

>fiftyfive

Don't you read any of the recent new from Apple?

Like the switch to Intel in 2006 -- which would make a PowerBook G5 as likely to be introduced as Pauly Shore being elected President.

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
we elected bush... pauly shore is jus a matter of time... it might even be a move up

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Well there would be no harm waiting till the Christmas season. Give it 2 months and get one in December - most likley any updates will have happened by then (if any are going to happen).

Possible they could get a small speed bump quietly like the mini :confused:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.