Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
All,

Received the Black Ops case on Friday and it is a beauty. The matte black finish complements the iPhone's gray finish. The amber insulators add a nice highlight without being flashy. The amber insulators are not too visible because of the gray background from the iPhone body combined with the matte black from the case. The amber highlights are not too visible in artificial light, but do become a more transparent and visible in outside light.

I used the rash guards which installed relatively easy and used the suede back pad. Fortunately the black suede pad is removable as it took a few tries to get it to line up. I found that installing the suede pad first before installing the case using the hinge method (Google the hinge method) made installation easy.

I have not used the included screen protector or the Tactical CNC G10 back plate made by VZ Grips, as well as the included Black Ops Tactical Holster because the phone mostly travels in my pocket as most of my week is being a desk jockey. I use a glass based screen protector rather than an adhesive plastic style. Nevertheless, it is obvious that there was some serious thought that went into the CNC G10 back plate and the holster. My law enforcement friends would certainly appreciate the functionality of the holster and the hard back plate. It's obvious the holster was designed to be strapped to utility belts or flack vests, with the CNC G10 plate facing away from the holster. The case strap and removing the phone is certainly functional with gloved hands (although operating an iPhone with gloves is an entirely different matter).

I purchased a Black Ops case even though I already owned the Sector 5 SE because I preferred the ruggedness of the matte black finish that I had on my Vapor Pro Black Ops case for iPhone 4. The Sector 5 SE is a great case as well, but I prefer the matte black finish with amber highlights that I was accustomed to on the Vapor Pro Black Ops. The serrated power button was a nice touch. I found it slightly harder to depress because it is slightly lower profiled than the button on the Sector 5 SE and Vapor Pro, but it is still very functional (it just feels different).

If you are looking for a masculine looking case, well engineered with attention to the fine details, and a case that will turn heads because it is not found at Best Buy, Sector 5 Black Ops is certainly it. The case is worth the premium cost as no detail was left unattended.

-Sheldon

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
Did you get the privacy screen protector as advertised or was it omitted in your package too?

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Yes, received the privacy screen protector, but chose not to use it in favor of my Spigen glass protector

----------

Here are some images taken from my iPad and edited in Snapseed. I am using the Element Case base for iPhone 4, but is retrofitted for the Lightning cable. Spigen glass screen and Spigen home button cover.

All pretty cool.

ary9egy2.jpg

2ezuny5y.jpg

-Sheldon

Last edited by a moderator:

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
What's weird is my sector 5 SE black has the exact same finish as the black ops, they feel and look the exact same I'm wondering if they sent out some black SE cases with the black ops finish because they were running behind in production for the SE

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
What's weird is my sector 5 SE black has the exact same finish as the black ops, they feel and look the exact same I'm wondering if they sent out some black SE cases with the black ops finish because they were running behind in production for the SE

Are you sure they didn't send out your Black Ops with a standard black SE finish.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I don't think so. The finish is closer to the Vapor Pro Black Ops (for iPhone 4) than the Sector 5 SE. The Sector 5 SE appears to have a clear coat on it that the new Black Ops does not have. The Sector 5 Black Ops is matte black with no reflection.

Might have to pull out the Canon SLR and post better picts.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I see, a very flat or matt finish would be pretty different than the SE which could be described as satin finish.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Wow. Not a fan of that at all.

I liked Elements previous efforts for the iPhone 4 and even the odd clamshell 3GS one I had but this one doesn't look right to me for some reason.

I will say the back plate and the holster look promising though from their pictures. I like that "tactical" holster.

Ring Leader

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Would it be possible to post up some better quality pictures?? Id love to get a better look at this!!

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
I see, a very flat or matt finish would be pretty different than the SE which could be described as satin finish.

Wow. Not a fan of that at all.

I liked Elements previous efforts for the iPhone 4 and even the odd clamshell 3GS one I had but this one doesn't look right to me for some reason.

I will say the back plate and the holster look promising though from their pictures. I like that "tactical" holster.

Would it be possible to post up some better quality pictures?? Id love to get a better look at this!!

The pictures look like they were taken in the dark room, you can see all the pixelation making the picture look flat no detail. So yes please post some better pictures if you can. thanks.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I could be wrong, looks the same as my friends case there are pictures of it on the authentic sector 5 thread, one with black screws and red carbon fiber

Oh and props for finding the black screws at ace, I think the black case looks 10x better with black screws compared to silver

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
Really pissed off customer

I FINALLY got this in the mail.

There are no tabs on the side protection so they can't be installed without ruining them. There are no instructions except for screen protector and side bumpers. I have NO idea what to do with this stuff. Really dissatisfied with this company.

I would stay away from these folks.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I FINALLY got this in the mail.

There are no tabs on the side protection so they can't be installed without ruining them. There are no instructions except for screen protector and side bumpers. I have NO idea what to do with this stuff. Really dissatisfied with this company.

I would stay away from these folks.

No side wraps from any company has tabs including lucky labs and sticker boy I've never had a problem installing them? How does that have anything to do with the actual case? This post makes no sense

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Okay, some picts...

I pulled out the SLR and snapped some picts.. Some are with flash, while other are without. I put my (now my wife's) iPhone 4 with the Vapor Pro case as a comparison between the Sector 5 Blacks Ops, and the Vapor Pro Black Ops.

Attachments

• December 17, 201220121217-IMG_67352.jpg
    December 17, 201220121217-IMG_67352.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 309
  • December 17, 201220121217-IMG_67394.jpg
    December 17, 201220121217-IMG_67394.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 302
  • December 17, 201220121217-IMG_67427.jpg
    December 17, 201220121217-IMG_67427.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 303
  • December 17, 201220121217-IMG_675110.jpg
    December 17, 201220121217-IMG_675110.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 265

jacoder

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
California
While this case looks very nice on black iPhone, how about the white one?

I would image that this Sector 5 Black Ops won't looks as nice when apply to white iphone.

Any other good metal case for white iphone?

Dexy

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Can anyone post a pic with SE Black vs BlackOps? Is there any visible finish on case, or only on paper??

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
Can anyone post a pic with SE Black vs BlackOps? Is there any visible finish on case, or only on paper??

i would say definitely go with the black ops, i don't have the SE but i own the FE and black ops, the finish of black ops is definitely a better grip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.