PDA

View Full Version : Airport extreme stopped working after memory upgrade?

California
Sep 23, 2005, 01:52 AM
Just had someone put memory into a new 12" iBook 1.2ghz. (Purchased August.) Now, the machine tells me that the airport is connected okay in System profile, but "no network detected" .

Could it be an antenna problem? (Did the guy bend it or something?) The PCs (shudder) in the house are all connecting fine.

Anyone know any refresh/restart thing to do for Airport Extreme on an iBook?

mad jew
Sep 23, 2005, 02:03 AM
Does it work again if you take the memory out?

lexfuzo
Sep 23, 2005, 04:40 AM
Could it be an antenna problem? (Did the guy bend it or something?) The PCs (shudder) in the house are all connecting fine.

I'd have a look at the memory/airport compartment if everything is connected properly. It's not hard to do, you'll need a small screwdriver, feeling in your fingers and these instructions:
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/doityourself/

California
Sep 24, 2005, 03:10 AM
I'd have a look at the memory/airport compartment if everything is connected properly. It's not hard to do, you'll need a small screwdriver, feeling in your fingers and these instructions:
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/doityourself/

yeah, thanks! It took one push of my index finger -- the antenna wasn't plugged in all the way.

lexfuzo
Sep 24, 2005, 03:18 AM
the antenna wasn't plugged in all the way.
Glad to hear that! :)
Have fun!

wongulous
Sep 24, 2005, 03:38 AM
The exact same thing happened to me on my iBook. I had to take out the AirPort Express card to get at this door (with these tiny screws! god I hate screws--the iBook has about 96 too many!), and then to install the RAM. I ended up ****ing up my antenna plug/cable or whatever too, so I had to fiddle with it a coupla times to get it to work right. Kinda scrry when you think you just broke your new computarmachine by manhandling it while upgrading.

California
Sep 24, 2005, 01:38 PM
The exact same thing happened to me on my iBook. I had to take out the AirPort Express card to get at this door (with these tiny screws! god I hate screws--the iBook has about 96 too many!), and then to install the RAM. I ended up ****ing up my antenna plug/cable or whatever too, so I had to fiddle with it a coupla times to get it to work right. Kinda scrry when you think you just broke your new computarmachine by manhandling it while upgrading.

If your machine is still under warranty, this is a user upgrade, so Apple might help you recover cost of new card or anntenna. This was exactly why I don't like doing things on my machines myself, though I kinda know how to do them.

Once, I had a memory upgrade for an old Tibook and i was smart enough to call Apple and have them on the phone as the little white things that hold the memory cards broke! Because I was on thephone with them and because it should have been user friendly, they sent me a NEW LOGIC BOARD. Apple has been GREAT to me. Thank you Apple.

This antenna thing on my iBook was just a mistake done by the guy who installed, not a big deal. He just did not push it in all the way. Apple diagrams helped me figure it out.