PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini

G wizz
Sep 23, 2005, 02:17 AM
I am trying to convince my freind to dump his PC, All he uses it for is Ebay and the odd word processing. Would this be ideal for him. And for those of you that have one. Are you pleased. I am also looking to have one for my office just to run e:mail and some word processing. I have a G5 imac but that baby stays at home.

mad jew
Sep 23, 2005, 02:23 AM
The mini was designed to literally replace beige PC boxes (although it replaces black ones too :p ) so that the user can maintain the same keyboard, mouse, printer, screen etc. I reckon it'd be ideal for someone wanting to do the basics. It'll handle most very well. Get at least 512MB of RAM (only an issue if it's second hand).

Oh, but if your friend is thinking of getting a new monitor as well, then I'd say the eMac is a better buy since it is quite a bit better equipped (faster hard drive, inbuilt screen, much better GPU). Nevertheless, the minis are perfectly capable for your friend's uses. :)

dops7107
Sep 23, 2005, 02:25 AM
I am trying to convince my freind to dump his PC, All he uses it for is Ebay and the odd word processing. Would this be ideal for him. And for those of you that have one. Are you pleased. I am also looking to have one for my office just to run e:mail and some word processing. I have a G5 imac but that baby stays at home.

oooh yeah, get one. I have 1.25/1 gig/40 GB/combo - i.e the most basic one you can get. Hooked it up to an Apple keyboard and my graphics tablet, a sweet DVI 17inch monitor and an external LaCie hard drive. It's really smooth and pretty quick. Can be found wanting a little for Photoshop, but I expected that and it was still a mighty upgrade from my previous Dell laptop. It's perfectly good at playing DVDs but don't expect much from it for games - the graphics card is pitiful. But you'd never notice it in an "office" environment.

Get one! Provided your friend doesn't need a new monitor, keyboard etc. or an iMac would be better value.

lexfuzo
Sep 23, 2005, 04:51 AM
and I love it!
Get as much RAM as you can! The difference between the offered processor speeds is not really noticeable.

dmw007
Sep 23, 2005, 07:43 AM
The mini was designed to literally replace beige PC boxes (although it replaces black ones too :p ) so that the user can maintain the same keyboard, mouse, printer, screen etc. I reckon it'd be ideal for someone wanting to do the basics. It'll handle most very well. Get at least 512MB of RAM (only an issue if it's second hand).

Oh, but if your friend is thinking of getting a new monitor as well, then I'd say the eMac is a better buy since it is quite a bit better equipped (faster hard drive, inbuilt screen, much better GPU). Nevertheless, the minis are perfectly capable for your friend's uses. :)

I second mad jew's advice-
-Mini if he does not need a new monitor (w/ 512MB DDR)
-or a eMac G4 if he needs a new monitor (w/ 512MB DDR).

Both are very nice Mac's that would knock your friends socks off! :)

dmw007
Sep 23, 2005, 07:44 AM
and I love it!
Get as much RAM as you can! The difference between the offered processor speeds is not really noticeable.

I will have to agree with you there, the more RAM the better. Although, for what your friend is doing, 512MB would be sufficient.

lexfuzo
Sep 23, 2005, 07:55 AM
I will have to agree with you there, the more RAM the better. Although, for what your friend is doing, 512MB would be sufficient.
Yes, get one with 512 and you'll see if it's enough. You shouldn't buy RAM at Apple anyways. But I believe that sooner or later your friend will upgrade to 1 (or 2 :) ) GB.

kgarner
Sep 23, 2005, 04:04 PM
The mini is more than adequate for your friend's need. And they come with 512 of RAM now anyway, so unless you buy a 1st gen that isn't an issue. The mini is a surprisingly capable little system. I love mine (see sig for specs).

texlaw04
Oct 7, 2005, 11:41 PM
Yes, get one with 512 and you'll see if it's enough. You shouldn't buy RAM at Apple anyways. But I believe that sooner or later your friend will upgrade to 1 (or 2 :) ) GB.

I have the 1.42 ghz with 512. The machine seems to run smoothly enough. However, apps do briefly time-out occasionally when I have too many things going. You don't want the Mini to access virtual memory when you can avoid it.

My conclusion: As ever, OS X loves memory.

Realizing that I must be drinking the same spiked punch as Apple Store personnel, I like the Mini with a big LCD, not the old beige hardware from your uncle's garage sale. Don't we pay more for notebooks b/c they're small? The big LCD/Mini combo has about the smallest form factor with the least noise of any system out there.

Now, where did I set my punch...