PDA

View Full Version : A Lego guide to death

vniow
Dec 2, 2002, 01:42 AM
Enjoy (http://www.legodeath.com/)

irmongoose
Dec 2, 2002, 01:50 AM
hehe.. it's funny how they're all smiling, even on the electric chair and the gilliton :D

irmongoose

JupiterZen
Dec 2, 2002, 04:35 AM
Cool ... makes me remember the Holocaust/concentrationcamp lego that I saw a while back.

If I remember where I'll post the link.

;)

JupiterZen
Dec 2, 2002, 04:41 AM
Found it:

here (http://hosting.zkm.de/kbb/ausstell/p_aus_ku07.html)

and here (http://csw.art.pl/new/libera/lego_e.html)

and a story here (http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm)

and you can search google for "concentration camp lego" to find even more info.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 2, 2002, 08:03 AM
That lego torture site is incredible - makes me wish I had mine still - very funny. And nicely set up in flash. Too bad he didn't make construction instructions....

The concentration camp lego kits on the other hand is a little too much I think. I understand what the artist was trying to do, but wow, its more than just a little intense. Its not exactly a subject you want to treat lightly.

D

JupiterZen
Dec 2, 2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
That lego torture site is incredible - makes me wish I had mine still - very funny. And nicely set up in flash. Too bad he didn't make construction instructions....

Instructions would have been very nice ;)

The concentration camp lego kits on the other hand is a little too much I think. I understand what the artist was trying to do, but wow, its more than just a little intense. Its not exactly a subject you want to treat lightly.

I Agree it is very intense and it could be very unpleasant for some people. But I always seem to like it when people try to break open conversation and actually work out a controversial idea.

That way we don't get stuck in our way of thinking.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 2, 2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by JupiterZen

I Agree it is very intense and it could be very unpleasant for some people. But I always seem to like it when people try to break open conversation and actually work out a controversial idea.

That way we don't get stuck in our way of thinking.

I'm all for thinking outside the box and challenging the status quo - but my problem here is that Lego is a toy and its not that he just built the Concentration Camps out of Lego, but replicated the packaging to make it look like they were real. So what's the message here? Its 'fun' to build a concentration camps and have skeleton inmates and nazi guards?

But the healing process takes so many forms, I guess this could just be one more persons version.

D :(

JupiterZen
Dec 2, 2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet

I'm all for thinking outside the box and challenging the status quo - but my problem here is that Lego is a toy and its not that he just built the Concentration Camps out of Lego, but replicated the packaging to make it look like they were real. So what's the message here? Its 'fun' to build a concentration camps and have skeleton inmates and nazi guards?

But the healing process takes so many forms, I guess this could just be one more persons version.

D :(

No, I think the message here is (among other things): The world is not as beautiful as the commercials want you to believe ... ". You could say it asks the question: "Is building a concentration camp fun?" and then you hope people realise it's not.

The fact that it is a toy just makes the statement more powerful and direct.

Maybe to direct for some people.

BenderBot1138
Dec 2, 2002, 10:10 AM
THE HORROR... THE HORROR!!!

Now you've done it... I'm gonna have nightmares for weeks about those poor lego persons... Those executioners rule with iron fists...

:cool:
------------------------
I always find personification humorous, but I don't know why... do you Mr. Ed?

Geetar
Dec 2, 2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by JupiterZen

No, I think the message here is (among other things): The world is not as beautiful as the commercials want you to believe ... ". You could say it asks the question: "Is building a concentration camp fun?" and then you hope people realise it's not.

The fact that it is a toy just makes the statement more powerful and direct.

Maybe to direct for some people.

It also speaks of the way we divide the world up into the innocence of childhood and the rueful "knowing" of adulthood.
And many who would find the "artwork" too direct let their children watch (to my eyes) ultraviolent cartoons on TV . Hmmmm....as Richard Bach wrote: "Perspective- use it or lose it."

scem0
Dec 2, 2002, 05:01 PM
The holocaust lego thing is kinda disturbing, and not kiddish, but
is funny in a twisted sick kind of way.

Lol, that site is great. I had been there before I saw this thread,
but didn't spend much time there. Once again, funny in a sick and
twisted kind of way. Same with stickdeath :D.