Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
I'm a total noob to Bootcamp and Windows gaming on a Mac so please the probably redundant questin. I've been reading up a lot on the subject in preparation for my new 27" iMac with the 680MX. Now as much as I'd love to run windows from my custom external drive I know I can't, but I wanted to see thoughts/advice/opinions on if I partition part of the drive and use that to play any games or windows specific apps to save space on my fusion drive. My external consists of a WD Black 2TB 64MB cache drive inside a StarTech SAT3510BU3

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
I'm a total noob to Bootcamp and Windows gaming on a Mac so please the probably redundant questin. I've been reading up a lot on the subject in preparation for my new 27" iMac with the 680MX. Now as much as I'd love to run windows from my custom external drive I know I can't, but I wanted to see thoughts/advice/opinions on if I partition part of the drive and use that to play any games or windows specific apps to save space on my fusion drive. My external consists of a WD Black 2TB 64MB cache drive inside a StarTech SAT3510BU3

I think it really depends on the game and your real world speeds on USB3.0. Some games don't really depend on the hard drive after they've loaded up (online games), while others are constantly loading new data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.