PDA

View Full Version : what do you run your processor at - reduced, automatic, or highest?

tekmoe
Sep 23, 2005, 06:21 PM
on battery: reduced
on AC: automatic

just wondering what everyone runs their processors at? i used to run mine at reduced on battery and highest on AC, but just within the past few weeks, i asked myself "why do i need my processor running at highest, when i'm not really doing anything that is processor intensive anyway?" so i changed it to automatic on AC. my powerbook runs a LOT cooler.

i only switch to highest if i need to encode mp3s or video. other than, automatic is GREAT for my web surfing, emailing, and IM's.

Sep 23, 2005, 06:34 PM
battery: reduced
AC: auto

Thats on my Thinkpad but I think you'll find that most people just do that aswell; or they would run both as auto.

Dagless
Sep 23, 2005, 06:36 PM
always highest. i dont really use my powerbook in battery mode anyways

mad jew
Sep 23, 2005, 06:37 PM
iMac G5 - highest. It's criminal not to.

iBook G4 - automatic on adaptor and battery unless I want something done quickly and the iMac isn't around in which case I put it on Highest.

homerjward
Sep 23, 2005, 06:39 PM
10% higher (the advantage of running windows)

Bern
Sep 23, 2005, 07:02 PM
Battery: reduced
A/C: highest

TDM21
Sep 23, 2005, 07:08 PM
Battery: Reduced
AC: depends, Normally Highest, but if the fans are running a little loud, I will turn the settings to my custom option. I have it set to the sleep settings of Highest, but the Processing power to reduced. This will let the computer cool down and slow the fans down.

wozzlewoozle
Sep 23, 2005, 07:09 PM
Battery: reduced
A/C: highest

ITASOR
Sep 23, 2005, 07:20 PM
A/C: Highest

50thVert
Sep 23, 2005, 07:29 PM
A/C- Highest
UPS Backup- Reduced

I've noticed when my PM G5 is set on Highest, the fans kick on at minimal speeds, instead of blasting to 100% and then back to 0% when on automatic. *shrug*

Artful Dodger
Sep 23, 2005, 07:32 PM
Both iMac and iBook at highest :D
All though mad jew has the advantage...his also runs mad, so a bit faster than the rest of us :p

Yoyodyne
Sep 23, 2005, 07:34 PM
A/C: Automatic

I'm probably just paranoid about extended heat giving my iBook an early death.

PedroQ
Sep 23, 2005, 07:45 PM
Everytime i change mine to highest, it automatically changes itself to reduced again... I have an iMac G5. Do I have to disable any option in the system preferences to be able to do so?

mad jew
Sep 23, 2005, 07:51 PM
Both iMac and iBook at highest :D
All though mad jew has the advantage...his also runs mad, so a bit faster than the rest of us :p

Ahhh... The advantages of being mad. :D

aussie_geek
Sep 23, 2005, 07:54 PM
PowerBook - reduced on battery and highest on AC power

PowerMac G5 - highest always

jmufellow
Sep 23, 2005, 08:46 PM
How do you control that?

mad jew
Sep 23, 2005, 08:49 PM
In the System Preferences, go to Energy Saver and under the Options tab, there should be a drop down menu for Processor Performance. :)

jmufellow
Sep 23, 2005, 09:03 PM
Not there. I guess that comes in Tiger, I have the lowly panther

homerjward
Sep 23, 2005, 09:14 PM
it depends on your mac. if you have a g3 or a desktop g4 (at least all desktop g4's ive used) you wont have it. it's only implemented in the mobile g4s (ie ibook and powerbook) and g5s. i guess it's for power reasons in the 'books and heat reasons in the g5s :eek:

Chundles
Sep 23, 2005, 09:14 PM

It's only in portables and G5 Macs, so not in minis or eMacs. It was there in Panther on my iBook so if you have a portable but don't have the option then that's really weird.

eva01
Sep 23, 2005, 09:16 PM
Powerbook Battery: Lowest
Powerbook Plugged in: Highest
PowerMac: Highest

Artful Dodger
Sep 23, 2005, 09:17 PM
jmufellow

It should be....there is a ..try this, it's under the options;)

Ringo
Sep 23, 2005, 09:33 PM

Most G4 desktop computer dont have this option so that may be why :)

Btw : iMac G5 alway on High WAY TO GO BABY :D

risc
Sep 23, 2005, 09:51 PM
iMac G5 :- Automatic
Power Mac G5 :- Highest
PowerBook G4 :- AC Highest | Battery Automatic

leekohler
Sep 23, 2005, 10:19 PM
Always on highest. I do dim my screen when I'm on battery power though. I still get almost 5 hours on my iBook.

TheMonarch
Sep 23, 2005, 10:29 PM
Battery- Reduced.
AC- Reduced <- (Why do you ask? Well, I use my PB as a Laptop, and it feels like its going to fry my nuts off if its on anything above reduced.)

I will however, change it to highest when there is available desk space.

yg17
Sep 23, 2005, 10:41 PM
My Powerbook is automatic for both AC and battery. PowerMac is always on highest.

dubbz
Sep 23, 2005, 10:47 PM
For my Powerbook:

Automatic when it's plugged in and Reduced when it's not. I occationally put it on Highest when it's plugged in, but mostly I don't since the fans starts spinning then.

jmufellow
Sep 23, 2005, 11:01 PM
it depends on your mac. if you have a g3 or a desktop g4 (at least all desktop g4's ive used) you wont have it. it's only implemented in the mobile g4s (ie ibook and powerbook) and g5s. i guess it's for power reasons in the 'books and heat reasons in the g5s :eek:

Yep, that's what it is. I have an emac g4 1.25ghz bought it last year..my first experience with macs. it does the job but I wish I wouldve gotten a portable---ibook or better yet pb

dmw007
Sep 23, 2005, 11:02 PM
Power Mac G5- Highest.

.:*Robot Boy*:.
Sep 23, 2005, 11:03 PM
Battery - Reduced
AC - Highest

Orlando Furioso
Sep 23, 2005, 11:54 PM
Powerbook
AC = Highest
Battery = turned off (doesn't charge anymore :( )

G5
Set to highest when doing work. Especially during nifty photoshop tomfoolery.
Otherwise it is reduced.

"Automatic" is just annoying, fans rev up when the computer thinks something intensive is about to happen. Oddly enough, the fans rev up less while at the highest setting.

gammamonk
Sep 23, 2005, 11:58 PM
Always reduced. Except for playing movies, because it isn't fast enough to decode them in reduced mode. Basically, I hate fan noise-- and these powerbooks get HOT!

PedroQ
Sep 24, 2005, 05:57 AM
In the System Preferences, go to Energy Saver and under the Options tab, there should be a drop down menu for Processor Performance. :)

Yeah, i do that all the time and it everytime i go back there it changed again to reduced. And it's starting to annoy me...
:mad:

iGary
Sep 24, 2005, 06:28 AM
On the PM: Highest - duh.

On the iBook: Highest, but I do dim the screen.

RobHague
Sep 24, 2005, 07:41 AM
Still got mine (PM) on Automatic...

Hmm would highest bring better performance for something like games? Automatic scales up the CPU speed dont it? Ill have to try it but im sure i read somewhere that Highest was not 'recommended' and shortend the life of apple products.. :confused:

iMeowbot
Sep 24, 2005, 08:17 AM
Hmm would highest bring better performance for something like games?
Mm, that might be a justification for using it temporarily.
Automatic scales up the CPU speed dont it? Ill have to try it but im sure i read somewhere that Highest was not 'recommended' and shortend the life of apple products.. :confused:
It certainly helps shorten the life of an affordable energy supply.

jamesW135
Sep 24, 2005, 08:55 AM
IF you run it at highest you get better results, that's why I do.

maya
Sep 24, 2005, 08:57 AM
Automatic for both the desktop and laptop. :)

AP_piano295
Sep 24, 2005, 09:47 AM
they dont have these controls on an emac corret?

bousozoku
Sep 24, 2005, 12:23 PM
On battery, it's auto but on AC, I use highest because I'm either using Photoshop or running folding@home.

devilot
Sep 24, 2005, 01:19 PM
iBook battery: lowest
" AC adapter: highest

iMac--> usually highest, but if it's a really hot summer day or it's late at night and I don't want the fans to make a sound, then I'll set it to auto.

maddav
Sep 24, 2005, 02:18 PM
iBook,
Battery: reduced, to stop my legs from burning.
Power Adaptor: Highest, because I'm using my monitor and am usually doing lots of intensive stuff.

MacRy
Sep 24, 2005, 02:26 PM
Always the highest for me.