PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seeds Build 12D43 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers [Updated]

MacRumors
Dec 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/18/apple-seeds-build-12d43-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/)

After releasing iOS version 6.0.2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/18/apple-releases-ios-6-0-2-software-update-for-iphone-5-and-ipad-mini-fixes-wi-fi-bug/) to fix issues with Wi-Fi on the iPhone 5 and the iPad mini, Apple today seeded build 12D43 of OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion to developers.
http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/mountainlionbetaupdate.jpgThough the update comes with no known issues or new features, Apple has asked developers to focus on AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, Graphics Drivers, and Safari in their testing.

This is the third beta release since the first 10.8.3 beta was seeded back in November (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/26/apple-seeds-first-beta-of-os-x-10-8-3-to-developers/). Registered developers can download it via the Apple Developer Page (https://developer.apple.com).

Update: 9to5Mac reports (http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/20/apple-releases-os-x-10-8-3-build-12d44-to-developers/) that Apple has now released build 12D44 to developers, some two days after 12D43 was released. This release still reports no known issues, though it's possible the quick update is a fix for some unmentioned bug.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Build 12D43 of OS X Beta 10.8.3 to Developers [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/18/apple-seeds-build-12d43-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/)

Prof.
Dec 18, 2012, 05:25 PM
Here's hoping it fixes the slow shutdown times. :(

charlieegan3
Dec 18, 2012, 05:27 PM

Yeah I know! What is with that - really bugs me too.

Will today go down in history as the day 12D43 came out? Shaving seconds of shutdown times across the globe!

chuckd83
Dec 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
will this be for the mac mini?

tywebb13
Dec 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
Registered developers can download it via the Apple Developer Page (https://developer.apple.com).

It actually downloads from the MAS. But the installer deletes itself after installing.

So you have to go to Library/Updates and find the file OSXUpd10.8.3Seed.pkg and copy it somewhere if you want to keep it before completing the installation.

The dmgs might go up to the mac dev center soon though so check back later if you want these.

lcmazza
Dec 18, 2012, 05:34 PM
Coming back from sleep is still terrible on rMBP... USB becomes sluggish, external keyboard doesn't wake up the system...

Graphics switching is still pretty bad. :(

thatsfinebut
Dec 18, 2012, 06:03 PM
Coming back from sleep is still terrible on rMBP... USB becomes sluggish, external keyboard doesn't wake up the system...

I bought my rMBP before 10.8 was released and did an upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8. Last night, I did a clean install of 10.8. So far, after lifting the screen, it's still taking 5-10 seconds before I can enter my login password.

MikhailT
Dec 18, 2012, 06:15 PM

I have a bad feeling that we have to wait for 10.9 to get the optimizations, just like 10.8 was a major improvement over 10.7 but not enough.

We're just going to get small bug fixes in 10.8.x updates.

fredoviola
Dec 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
Please please PLEASE let it solve the Logic Pro lag issue! PLEASE!!!

Risco
Dec 18, 2012, 06:30 PM

Yup I hope so too, although I am not being a tester this time as the last beta was very, very buggy!

NZPilgrim
Dec 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
I bought my rMBP before 10.8 was released and did an upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8. Last night, I did a clean install of 10.8. So far, after lifting the screen, it's still taking 5-10 seconds before I can enter my login password.

Apparently this is because it gets put into hibernate mode (deep sleep I think they call it). Take a look at the post below if you want to disable it and make your retina act like previous MacBook Pro models when closing/opening the lid. Just be aware that by disabling it you'll reduce the stand-by time of your battery from the 30 odd days Apple say to probably a week.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/60634/disable-stand-by-mode-on-retina-macbook-pro

Moshe1010
Dec 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Was there a future update news that nobody cried on the comments?

bizzle
Dec 18, 2012, 07:27 PM
I am getting a bit tired of the disappearing text.

RoelJuun
Dec 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
Disappearing mouse cursor after switching from fullscreen app to other app. And fix the Messages app for *%# sake (server side probably).

Yamcha
Dec 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
There's Launchpad bug on mines, sometimes when you open Launchpad you cannot open folders.. Hopefully that fixes it.

I know It's still early, but I can't wait till the next release of OSX.. We are about 6 months in since 10.8.

Eithanius
Dec 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
You know, with that small build number, how could Apple have reported no known issues when countless people are still being bugged every other day... I just don't get it... :mad::mad:

MikhailT
Dec 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
You know, with that small build number, how could Apple have reported no known issues when countless people are still being bugged every other day... I just don't get it... :mad::mad:

It has nothing to do with what people are having issues with but rather what is blocking the seed from progressing to the next level.

What they meant is that there are no known critical issues or showstoppers that developers who are testing this for Apple to experience. In other words, there are nothing in the seed that prevents it from being released as a regular update.

Prof.
Dec 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
Yeah I know! What is with that - really bugs me too.

Will today go down in history as the day 12D43 came out? Shaving seconds of shutdown times across the globe!

Yup I hope so too, although I am not being a tester this time as the last beta was very, very buggy!
My 2012 MBP takes a full minute to shut down. Inexcusable.

ryanlindner
Dec 18, 2012, 09:36 PM
Any one think this will fix the external monitor issue. My Dell monitor looks bad on my macbook R. But looks great on my PC???

PurrBall
Dec 18, 2012, 09:49 PM

Seems better, but it's too soon to tell.

Unfortunately, every time I restart it resets my wallpaper. So that's definitely an issue.

Macrolido
Dec 18, 2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah, the slow shutdown really annoys me...

portishead
Dec 18, 2012, 10:39 PM
Seems to have fixed the long wait upon waking from sleep. I hope it fixes the graphics issues on the rMBP also.

lowlymarine
Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 PM

Same deal here. My 2011 MBP with a homebrew "Fusion Drive" setup takes about three to four times longer to shut down than to start up. It's absurd.

I'm really hoping that the release notes asking specifically for testing related to "graphics drivers" is good news too. The state of OpenGL on OS X is really quite dreadful - still stuck on 3.x and it's usually dog-slow compared to Windows/Linux on the same hardware.

The Bulge
Dec 19, 2012, 01:34 AM
What i really liked about OS X before Lion and Mountain Lion that shutdown was very much instant (at least for me).

Now it seems all kinds of crappy services have taken the stage and all the Snow Leopard optimisation has taken the backstage.

frank-be
Dec 19, 2012, 02:12 AM
I really hope that Apple fixes the graphics issues I'm having on my MacBook Pro when I try to use NX (3D CAD).
As I understood from Siemens's help desk it's only affecting some MacBook Pro's and the fix should finally come with 10.8.3 ...

Ever since I started upgrading from 10.6 I got graphic issues that prevented me using NX on my MBP. That's inexcusable.

charlieegan3
Dec 19, 2012, 03:21 AM

Likewise.

Do we know what it is that causes this? What is it that actually needs fixing?

Mike MA
Dec 19, 2012, 03:21 AM

Yep, I hope 10.8.3 does the job.

EDIT: But what drives me even more crazy are the ongoing Airplay issues starting with 10.8.2 and iTunes 11.

RamGuy
Dec 19, 2012, 03:25 AM
Same deal here. My 2011 MBP with a homebrew "Fusion Drive" setup takes about three to four times longer to shut down than to start up. It's absurd.

I'm really hoping that the release notes asking specifically for testing related to "graphics drivers" is good news too. The state of OpenGL on OS X is really quite dreadful - still stuck on 3.x and it's usually dog-slow compared to Windows/Linux on the same hardware.

How do you "homebrew" your own Fusion drive? Considering it's OS X code based and not a actual caching solution I'm really wondering how on earth you was able to pull something like that off.

bumblebritches5
Dec 19, 2012, 03:38 AM
Okay, how do I get the update? Yeah, I know it's not finished blah blah blah, I can handle it if something breaks.

strukt
Dec 19, 2012, 04:40 AM
Okay, how do I get the update? Yeah, I know it's not finished blah blah blah, I can handle it if something breaks.

If you register as a developer somewhere on the Apple site you can download it for free if I am not mistaken.

throAU
Dec 19, 2012, 04:46 AM
edit:
how to get it...

instructions are actually under NDA.... cut/paste removed.

but yes, basic idea

register as a paid mac developer
click download on the link
it will download fom app store

vmachiel
Dec 19, 2012, 04:53 AM
I just hope the crashing when switching graphic card is fixed.

bumblebritches5
Dec 19, 2012, 05:05 AM
edit:
how to get it...

instructions are actually under NDA.... cut/paste removed.

but yes, basic idea

register as a paid mac developer
click download on the link
it will download fom app store

Oooooh, you have to be a PAID Mac dev. :/

xlii
Dec 19, 2012, 05:18 AM
How do you "homebrew" your own Fusion drive? Considering it's OS X code based and not a actual caching solution I'm really wondering how on earth you was able to pull something like that off.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

throAU
Dec 19, 2012, 05:26 AM
Oooooh, you have to be a PAID Mac dev. :/

Yup.

If you're interested in developing for the mac platform in any sort of serious way, you'll need a code signing certificate for the app store which is included in the $99.

And if you're not seriously interested in developing for the mac, at least enough to pay the 99 bucks, you're probably not the sort of end user that apple want feedback from on in-progress features.

Its beta software. Apple want to contain it to a smaller subset of machines in case it does bad things.

baryon
Dec 19, 2012, 06:28 AM
Let's hope this one finally upgrades my Late 2008 MBP to a Retina version. I'm sick of the extra weight and the low resolution display, so they better get their stuff together!

Mr. Wonderful
Dec 19, 2012, 07:18 AM

They pretty much focus on graphics drivers every release.

Drivers have improved a lot since the 10.5 days, but we pretty much know the graphical experience we're going to get on OS X. That's not going to change.

Personally, I'm hoping this update restores Advanced GPU acceleration options in CS6 with the AMD 6490M. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go Windows next time for CS.

ItWasNotMe
Dec 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
LOL - my 2011 Mac Mini was once still running shutdown after 10 hours (left it overnight to see if it would ever finish...). Had none of 'my' applications active and no downloads in progress. In the end pulled the mains plug out, rebooted and verified all the disks.

Usually takes 10-15 minutes, even longer if Time Machine has started working out what it wants to do.

Quicker if all the external drives are dismounted in Finder first:confused:

iBug2
Dec 19, 2012, 08:58 AM
My shutdowns take around 10 seconds on both my rMBP and Mac Pro. I don't know what causes those minute long shutdowns. Certainly something 3rd party.

coder12
Dec 19, 2012, 09:06 AM

Same here, even after using Quartz debug some UI things are lagging again. It's obviously a software issue, I hope this fixes it.

milo
Dec 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Please please PLEASE let it solve the Logic Pro lag issue! PLEASE!!!

Based on what I've read online, I doubt it's fixed in this beta, but hopefully by final release of 10.8.3. Sounds like they just figured out how to reproduce it consistently on their end, probably needs more than just a couple days to fix.

robalo
Dec 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hoping Apple will fix the iCal snooze that allows just 15 minute snooze. Variable snooze times are a must that where lost in Mountain. Keeping fingers crossed.

:)

bedifferent
Dec 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

I used the simple tutorials online and "fused" the SSD and HDD on a 2011 27" Core i5 iMac. Took less than 5 minutes, and did a clean install of 10.8.2 (must have an OS X install with 10.8.2 either on USB or DVD to utilize the software for "Fusion Drive" in 10.8.2).

Works like a charm!

tywebb13
Dec 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
apple have just put the combo and delta dmg files onto the mac dev center so you can now update from these instead of the mas.

and also changed the seed note to add:

Combo or delta manual update:

- Log into your Apple Developer account and download the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update (Combo or Delta).

- The OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update (Combo) updates:
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, 10.8.1, 10.8.2 GM, or previous seeds of 10.8.3.

- The OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update (Delta) updates:
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 GM or previous seed builds of 10.8.3.

EDIT: These have since been removed due to the release of build 12d44

sflomenb
Dec 20, 2012, 05:42 AM
Does anyone know if the problem when the Mac loses internet connection in sleep mode has been fixed?

mag01
Dec 20, 2012, 06:29 AM
As for slow shutdown, unfortunately no improvement in this build (MBA 2012).

bedifferent
Dec 20, 2012, 08:13 AM
This is pretty sad. Apple has moved to an annual release cycle for OS X, placing 10.9 not too far into the near future, and 10.8 is still giving a good amount of users grief.

Some prominent bugs for many:

- WiFi connectivity since 10.7
- The "Chris Angel" disappearing mouse cursors
- Graphic glitches (static images in many core apps)
- Slower system functionality compared to 10.6 even with more RAM
- SMB and file sharing protocol nightmares
- An antiquated HFS+ Finder (even ZFS would have been much better, which has been discussed at great length since 10.5 beta's)
- Less configuration options with such OS X utilities as AirPort Utility 6.0 (thankfully I can drag and drop 5.x as it will not install in 10.8)
- OpenGL Core way behind other systems
- iWork '09 and iLife '11 are barely updated save for iOS "features"
- Axed Keychain and Dock syncing bet Mac's, and iDisk (shame Dropbox wasn't acquired)
- Axed web hosting
- OS X Server became a cheaper app addition and lacks important aspects that 10.6-7 Server offered
- Oh look, more social networking thrown into every core app. Yeah.

You'd believe all these dropped components would give Apple engineers more time to focus on producing a polished system as previous years have shown. Ironic.

God I miss the days before 10.7. Bring back Bertrand Serlet!

Macman45
Dec 20, 2012, 08:17 AM

That would be nice....Getting sick of waiting 20 seconds+ for my Laptops to shut down...Even my MBA is slow to shut down....My Imac is always on, so I don't have to curse about that one...:)

mag01
Dec 20, 2012, 08:50 AM
This is pretty sad. Apple has moved to an annual release cycle for OS X, placing 10.9 not too far into the near future, and 10.8 is still giving a good amount of users grief.
God I miss the days before 10.7. Bring back Bertrand Serlet!

Agreed.
Though as for ZFS I don't like it much for its memory requirements - it's more suitable for server environments. Though there are ways how to scale the RAM usage down (more or less).

JGRE
Dec 20, 2012, 10:07 AM
What i really liked about OS X before Lion and Mountain Lion that shutdown was very much instant (at least for me).

Now it seems all kinds of crappy services have taken the stage and all the Snow Leopard optimisation has taken the backstage.

Right, now it feels if you are working on a Windows computer.........:eek:

Is it just me, or does opening the systems settings window take far more time then it did under 10.7?

The Bulge
Dec 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
Is it just me, or does opening the systems settings window take far more time then it did under 10.7?

Dude :) i thought i was the only one having this issue :D

milo
Dec 20, 2012, 10:14 PM
12d44 went out today. Once they're updating this fast, sure seems like release may be soon, especially now that they're listing no known issues.

Hopefully betas of .4 start soon in the new year, still plenty that needs fixing.

tywebb13
Dec 21, 2012, 12:09 AM
no dmgs available yet but yeah i agree with milo

a public release is probably imminent

Mr. Retrofire
Dec 21, 2012, 09:22 AM
no dmgs available yet but yeah i agree with milo

a public release is probably imminent
24. December 2012? ;-)

Mike MA
Dec 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
12d44 went out today. Once they're updating this fast, sure seems like release may be soon, especially now that they're listing no known issues.

Or they had to fix a bug in Build 12D43...

newfoundglory
Dec 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hopefully this finally fixes the spectacular graphics glitches i've been getting in previous 10.8.3 betas, causing the system to completely freeze and/or crash (only with some Nvidia-based systems, and mostly triggered by Safari)

tywebb13
Dec 21, 2012, 12:34 PM
24. December 2012? ;-)

don't know but the dmgs ARE now available.

vea1083
Dec 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hopefully this finally fixes the spectacular graphics glitches i've been getting in previous 10.8.3 betas, causing the system to completely freeze and/or crash (only with some Nvidia-based systems, and mostly triggered by Safari)

Which type of Mac are you using and which year model? I have an nvidia powered Mid-2010 MacBook Pro with the nvidia 330m GT GeForce GPU.

newfoundglory
Dec 21, 2012, 03:12 PM
Which type of Mac are you using and which year model? I have an nvidia powered Mid-2010 MacBook Pro with the nvidia 330m GT GeForce GPU.

Mac mini (mid-2010) with the 320M

12D44 working good so far!

vea1083
Dec 21, 2012, 06:45 PM

Thanks for letting me know!

PurrBall
Dec 21, 2012, 07:25 PM
Unfortunately, the Intel HD 3000 drivers are still terrible (AMD 6750m is working quite well, though). But overall this is shaping to be a pretty rock solid release. Really needed this.

newfoundglory
Dec 22, 2012, 07:28 AM
I havent had any issues with the HD 3000 drivers - I have two Macs with the 3000 and they seemed to work okay - there wasn't any freezing or crashing.

What sort of problems have you been having?

PurrBall
Dec 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
I havent had any issues with the HD 3000 drivers - I have two Macs with the 3000 and they seemed to work okay - there wasn't any freezing or crashing.

What sort of problems have you been having?

Corruption in Mail, slow scrolling in Launchpad. However, since I have the high-resolution display in my MacBook Pro, the 3000 might not be able to handle things quite as well as it should.

ItWasNotMe
Dec 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
Lets hope they fix...

- Appalling performance - nothing launches in under 20 seconds on my Mini
- Safari 6.0.2 - God better be on your side if you ever open multiple tabs
- Mail cancelling the shutdown c20% of the time
- Time machine; shows in Menu bar as inactive, shows in Finder as active; shows in System Preferences as calculating. System won't ever stop if it thinks TM is doing anything - clear just who is in charge here,and its not me...
- Time to close down - sometimes it never does. Why should I have to close all the Apple apps, dismount all the external disks,... to have any hope of it ever shutting down. Isn't the OS supposed to do that

And this is with all the latest patches applied...

sshhoott
Dec 25, 2012, 12:30 PM

I am so disappointed in Apple about their handling of Nvidia 320M, this is on a Macbook Pro 13" mid 2010. The animations get choppy as heck just after a few hours of usage, such as changing desktop animation. I tried the same thing on the Macbook Pro 13" 2009 (Nvidia 9400M), but it stays smooth. To make matters worse, I experience enournous amounts of memory leak in the form of inactive memory, which never clears unless I restart. I have done clean installations of OS X 10.8.2.

Some say they resort to this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmoWoeNrkOs to achieve smoothness.

But this shouldn't be happening to a computer like Mac where the weaker one outperforms the stronger one :mad:. What are your guys thoughts? Have you had similar issues with 320M?

Any developers reading this post, please notify Apple about these "bugs" concerning Nvidia 320M. Would extremely appreciate it.

PurrBall
Dec 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
I've noticed in the last couple of builds that my trackpad will randomly stop working for about ten seconds at a time.

andrezuppe
Jan 2, 2013, 04:38 AM
Some people say that in this build the issue has not been fixed!
But I ask to myself: "Apple developers don't see that their macs are so slooow in shutting down???"
I've 15 rmmp that is so quick to boot, but I wold like it becomes faster in shutdown (actually 20 seconds of waiting......)
Please Apple fix this issue.

Bye,
Andrea

Risco
Jan 2, 2013, 07:48 AM
Anyone know a fix for the white text in launchpad?

iWaiting
Jan 2, 2013, 09:58 AM
Anyone know a fix for the white text in launchpad?

try apple

twzop
Jan 3, 2013, 12:15 PM
Right, now it feels if you are working on a Windows computer.........:eek:

I agree with your statement. My 2011 MBP (8GB RAM, 750GB SATA III, 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo) was lightning fast with SL, but after doing clean install to Lion and then clean install to ML, it really does feel sluggish like a windows machine. My machine is still very usable, but it's not as fast and smooth as SL.

Lil Chillbil
Jan 3, 2013, 09:08 PM
I'll still be sticking with snow leopard on my imac until os XI

PurrBall
Jan 4, 2013, 10:50 PM
Guys, I've been using this for a while and I honestly think it makes memory management a million times better. I can open a fairly demanding app while I have only 80 MB or so RAM free with 2+ GB inactive, and it will free the inactive memory and allow the app to open with essentially no delay. It's great.

Lil Chillbil
Jan 4, 2013, 10:56 PM
Guys, I've been using this for a while and I honestly think it makes memory management a million times better. I can open a fairly demanding app while I have only 80 MB or so RAM free with 2+ GB inactive, and it will free the inactive memory and allow the app to open with essentially no delay. It's great.

I'll update my computer at the church I edit video for that is running mtn lion to see if it makes a difference

DMH3006
Jan 6, 2013, 07:02 PM

Sure hope so,having 2,67GB of inactive memory and 8MB free and it not releasing inactive memory and actually reducing itunes and safari memory usage isn't the way to go ;)

PurrBall
Jan 6, 2013, 10:36 PM
Sure hope so,having 2,67GB of inactive memory and 8MB free and it not releasing inactive memory and actually reducing itunes and safari memory usage isn't the way to go ;)

There are still cases when it won't, but at least it is capable now.

SirYossi
Jan 7, 2013, 01:05 PM
I am waiting to update my 2007 MBP to X.8 till they fix the airport issues. Airport works fine in X.7 but i hear that there is a major bug with X.8. Airplay in itunes does not work nor does backing up over a wireless connection, the wireless card craps out but works fine with internet. Are these issues being addressed or am i stuck with X.7 on the 2007 MBP?

tywebb13
Jan 8, 2013, 04:34 PM
new build 12d50 is out now.

no dmgs yet available

download from mas only for now.

Seed note says:

Known Issues
- None

Focus Areas

- AirPlay

- AirPort

- Game Center

- Graphics Drivers
- Safari

tywebb13
Jan 9, 2013, 01:29 PM
the combo and delta dmg files are now available for build 12d50 on the mac dev center

Mr. Retrofire
Jan 21, 2013, 03:41 PM
Okay, how do I get the update?
You get it, if you need it.

I can handle it if something breaks.
I doubt that.

fredoviola
Jan 30, 2013, 08:19 PM
oh well.

bumblebritches5
Feb 25, 2013, 05:32 PM
You get it, if you need it.

I doubt that.

and why is that? Because you can't handle broken software? I'm not you, and thank Cheezus for that.