PDA

View Full Version : Analyst Says Apple Accelerating Plans for Next-Generation iPad Mini Launch

MacRumors
Dec 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/19/analyst-says-apple-accelerating-plans-for-next-generation-ipad-mini-launch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/ipad_mini_hand-150x184.jpgCNET reports (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57559906-37/analyst-cryptically-notes-that-ipad-mini-gen-2-is-pulled-in/) on a research note from RBC Capital Markets analyst Doug Freedman claiming that Apple appears to be accelerating its plans for the second-generation iPad mini, although it remains unclear when Apple is looking to launch the device.RBC Capital Markets analyst Doug Freedman -- who is in China visiting chip companies this week -- offered this ambiguous Apple note: "iPad Mini Gen-2: Apple's gen-2 iPad mini is getting pulled-in, and is likely to have several new suppliers, with TXN gaining content."

"Pulled in" would seem to imply that Apple is moving up introduction of the next iPad Mini. That would be helpful if we knew when the gen 2 Mini was actually slated to ship in the first place. As the current iPad Mini is still in short supply, we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves.Apple introduced the iPad mini just under two months ago, and the company is still quoting one-week shipping estimates for new orders through its online store as supplies are expected to remain tight into 2013.

One of the most significant criticisms of the iPad mini has been the lack of a Retina display as found on the full-size iPad and on smaller devices like the iPhone and iPod touch. There has been a fair amount of discussion about just when Apple will add a Retina display to the iPad mini, depending on when technology allows the company to include the feature without too much in the way of price, size, or weight concessions. One rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/13/next-ipad-mini-to-have-retina-display/) has claimed that Apple will indeed be including a Retina display in the next-generation iPad mini rather than waiting for a third-generation model at a later date.

Article Link: Analyst Says Apple Accelerating Plans for Next-Generation iPad Mini Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/19/analyst-says-apple-accelerating-plans-for-next-generation-ipad-mini-launch/)

myrtlebee
Dec 19, 2012, 12:02 PM
Good. I'm waiting for the retina display to consider purchasing one.

Ryth
Dec 19, 2012, 12:06 PM

Same. Basically only thing holding back most people is the lack of Retina. Get that and it's pretty much game over for the Kindle HD.

JaySoul
Dec 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
I like the Retina Display, but I also like the Eyebrow Bezel.

nuckinfutz
Dec 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm ok with a faster release cycle if the supply chain can handle it. I'd like to see the cost of cellular shrink. I don't think that BoM+markup of cellular hardware should equate to a $130 premium in 2013.

So Retina and cheaper LTE and i'm a happy camper.

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Dec 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
My wife wants one. I told her, "why when we have an ipad2 already ?" She agreed. I told her when they get faster or a better screen.

BC2009
Dec 19, 2012, 12:22 PM

If it had the A6 rather than the two-year-old A5 then I would consider buying one for Christmas. I think the A5 is a bit long in the tooth for a new purchase that I plan to hold on to for a couple of years. I can't see many apps running well on A5 in two years given the performance increase in the A6. The A5 is the last of the Apple chips based on the off-the-shelf ARM architectures and the A6 represents the first of the custom Apple-designed chips.

I am expecting new iPad models in the summer before the "back to school" event (maybe by WWDC). I plan to:

1) Sell my 64GB Verizon iPad 3

2) Buy a discounted 16GB WiFi iPad 4 since it will work with my existing accessories like keyboard, smart cover, and case. I will use this iPad 4 for writing and for the family.

3) Either buy a 64GB 4G iPad 5 or iPad mini 2 for myself and get some new accessories. The choice here will depend on the mini having a great processor and a retina display.

jgdeschamps
Dec 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
I actually got one (WiFi 32GB model) last Saturday after comparing it to the iPad 4. I didn't see any annoying diference in performance between the two of them when I used the demo versions side by side, and the retina display is not a that big a deal -at least for me. Its portability, usability and looks are what made me opt for it... it's a great device.

smulji
Dec 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
If it had the A6 rather than the two-year-old A5 then I would consider buying one for Christmas. I think the A5 is a bit long in the tooth for a new purchase that I plan to hold on to for a couple of years. I can't see many apps running well on A5 in two years given the performance increase in the A6. The A5 is the last of the Apple chips based on the off-the-shelf ARM architectures and the A6 represents the first of the custom Apple-designed chips.

I am expecting new iPad models in the summer before the "back to school" event (maybe by WWDC). I plan to:

1) Sell my 64GB Verizon iPad 3

2) Buy a discounted 16GB WiFi iPad 4 since it will work with my existing accessories like keyboard, smart cover, and case. I will use this iPad 4 for writing and for the family.

3) Either buy a 64GB 4G iPad 5 or iPad mini 2 for myself and get some new accessories. The choice here will depend on the mini having a great processor and a retina display.

"If it had the A6 rather than the two-year-old A5 then I would consider buying one for Christmas."

I completely agree. As nice as the Retina display is, the form factor and the sheer mobility of the device are bigger pluses, for me personally. Had Apple put in the A6 and 1GB of RAM I would've jumped on it instantly.

brianc34
Dec 19, 2012, 12:33 PM
My wife wants one. I told her, "why when we have an ipad2 already ?" She agreed. I told her when they get faster or a better screen.
That a way to keep your wife in her place! Lets not let our wives make their own decisions. /S

camnchar
Dec 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
Got one for Christmas, still waiting to see whether the screen is as big an issue as reviewers have made it. If so, I'll sell it when the Retina screen comes out.

I still think the price on this Mini with an 18 month old processor and non-Retina screen should have been $299.

nuckinfutz
Dec 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Got one for Christmas, still waiting to see whether the screen is as big an issue as reviewers have made it. If so, I'll sell it when the Retina screen comes out.

I still think the price on this Mini with an 18 month old processor and non-Retina screen should have been $299.

I've learned long ago that the tech press gloms onto some missing feature and it becomes all they want to talk about.

Retina display for the mini is appealing to some but the numbers are far less than what we read about. When Apple delivered Retina display it wasn't because the general populace was clamoring for better screens.

I think Retina is important in the long term because web and software design is becoming more complex and rich but Retina isn't a dealbreaker for many. In fact weight was far more of an issue for many of my friends and family that wanted an iPad for reading.

nagromme
Dec 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
The Mini demands low price, high battery life, and a small LIGHT battery. Retina (and the associated GPU power needed) goes against all of those.

And all that will be solved! I want it bad. But I expect it’s a 12-18 month solution, not a 6-month solution. The next Mini will not be retina, I don’t expect. Would love to be wrong!

When it does happen, I expect the non-retina Mini to remain as well, at a new lower price point, as Apple has done with the iPad and iPhone.

Lucky bum! I’m really tempted by a Mini + keyboard-screen-cover (some on Amazon are well-reviewed) for certain tasks. But I demand 128 GB or I won’t replace my current iPad.

But if the Mini today had the faster chip and display you want, it would either be thicker and heavier or get worse battery life. Apple’s choice of chip and display will give you real benefits, so enjoy them!

Later, you’ll be able to get the display/chip you (and I) dream of AND have today’s same battery life... but of course, even faster chips will be out then. There’s no escaping that for a given battery size, a faster chip gives you fewer hours, and therefore the Mini will not likely ever get the fastest chip: it would be the wrong choice for the device.

Ryth
Dec 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
I've learned long ago that the tech press gloms onto some missing feature and it becomes all they want to talk about.

Retina display for the mini is appealing to some but the numbers are far less than what we read about. When Apple delivered Retina display it wasn't because the general populace was clamoring for better screens.

I think Retina is important in the long term because web and software design is becoming more complex and rich but Retina isn't a dealbreaker for many. In fact weight was far more of an issue for many of my friends and family that wanted an iPad for reading.

For many it really is the deciding factor.

Again, I think the 1st gen iPad Mini was the 'test' run and early adopter to see the interest. It's there so the 2nd gen will have the bells and whistles...faster processor (A6) and graphics chip and retina. If it has retina it's going to need it.

Mac-Mariachi
Dec 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Well, I kind of expected the iPad mini 2 to have the Retina Display but I had to buy two minis as Christmas gifts, one for my beautiful daughter and one for my mom. I´m sure they´ll love it with or without the RD.

I can wait for mine to have the Retina Display :D

b11051973
Dec 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
I love my mini. I went from an iPad 3 to the mini. I noticed the lack of retina immediately, but I'm used to it now and don't notice. I use the mini way more than the bigger iPad just because it is so convenient.

Going to my parents for Xmas this weekend. My niece loves to play with my iDevices. Can't wait to see her reaction when she asks to play with my iPad and I hand over the mini. :)

lazyrighteye
Dec 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
Display resolution was the lone factor preventing my purchase.
Happy to wait.

Side note: any word on how black iPad minis are holding up compared to black iPhone 5s? From my casual observation, the minis seem less prone to scratching - for whatever reason(s).

fabian9
Dec 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hey! I'm an analyst! Listen to me!

In all seriousness, when was the last time one of these so called "analysts" got anything right that was Apple related?

tbjohn
Dec 19, 2012, 01:05 PM
Well, I really don't think it's necessary to use retina display for the given size for normal use. If Apple include retina on the 2nd version of mini, probably the cost will go high. Even current mini is a bit pricy. My only wish is for them to make the screen ratio as 16:10 not4:3 .

IJ Reilly
Dec 19, 2012, 01:16 PM
Got one for Christmas, still waiting to see whether the screen is as big an issue as reviewers have made it.

The problem with the iPad mini is that it was released before it was fully buzzword compliant.

Lancer
Dec 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
I like the Mini, who needs retina when the Mini is half the weight and much easier to hold in one hand (sorry that sounded dirty and a little self self-demeaning LOL)

Anyway the Mini would do all I need at a lower price, retina would be nice but I don't need it if they can cut the price in the next model. Which I'll have to wait for as I just spend all my money on a new 27" iMac.

nuckinfutz
Dec 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
For many it really is the deciding factor.

Again, I think the 1st gen iPad Mini was the 'test' run and early adopter to see the interest. It's there so the 2nd gen will have the bells and whistles...faster processor (A6) and graphics chip and retina. If it has retina it's going to need it.

Yup. This was the test model and it's delivered some loud and clear results.

a) the market for lightweight sub 8" tablets is there
b) Apple products still command a premium
c) more supplier relations will have to be created to increase production

I think the current iPad mini is priced to slot in a retina display (potentially) with revision II. It's really going to come down to companies like AU Optronics, Sharp, LG and more. Can they deliver adequate quantities of lower power retina displays? I think they can.

illegalprelude
Dec 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hey! I'm an analyst! Listen to me!

In all seriousness, when was the last time one of these so called "analysts" got anything right that was Apple related?

Exactly. This is so ludicrous to assume a new iPad mini is around the corner with the first once being released 2 months ago. This is like the crazy talk of the iPhone 5S being launched soon. Nope, iPhone 5S will come out in fall and big remake for the mini is a long time away.

Those who point to the 4th gen iPad need to know that it was a minor spec bump and not a true next device. Come now people, nothing to see here.

Nunyabinez
Dec 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
Well, I really don't think it's necessary to use retina display for the given size for normal use. If Apple include retina on the 2nd version of mini, probably the cost will go high. Even current mini is a bit pricy. My only wish is for them to make the screen ratio as 16:10 not4:3 .

It really depends on how you use it. If you watch movies and play games and a few other productivity apps I agree with you. But I read a lot on my iPad 3 and when I opened up a document on the iPad Mini the text was noticeably pixelated. I could handle a little light reading, but anything serious looks like a headache in the making. But as I said, each person uses their device differently. So, for some retina is meh, for others, it's a deal breaker.

Carmenia83
Dec 19, 2012, 01:57 PM
Im gonna hurry up and get one BEFORE they add a retina display. Retina does nothing but crush battery life. Anybody wanna trade one for my piece of crap iPad 3? lol

olowott
Dec 19, 2012, 02:08 PM
so the current iPad mini price is gonna drop to something nice and then we have retina mini

awesome.:D

had a feeling that was the plan all along

SnowLeopard OSX
Dec 19, 2012, 02:16 PM
Queue the rage rant from iPad mini owners.

Scrumper
Dec 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
I'm ok with a faster release cycle if the supply chain can handle it.

Exactly. In Malaysia the iPad 4, Mini and iPhone 5 have only just gone on sale and other countries are still waiting for products for which there is already talk of replacements.

Moshe1010
Dec 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
I actually got one (WiFi 32GB model) last Saturday after comparing it to the iPad 4. I didn't see any annoying diference in performance between the two of them when I used the demo versions side by side, and the retina display is not a that big a deal -at least for me. Its portability, usability and looks are what made me opt for it... it's a great device.
You haven't seen any difference? Your eyes must have some sort of delay.

dampfnudel
Dec 19, 2012, 02:31 PM
Exactly. This is so ludicrous to assume a new iPad mini is around the corner with the first once being released 2 months ago. This is like the crazy talk of the iPhone 5S being launched soon. Nope, iPhone 5S will come out in fall and big remake for the mini is a long time away.

Those who point to the 4th gen iPad need to know that it was a minor spec bump and not a true next device. Come now people, nothing to see here.

Those words sound like they came from someone who's afraid they'll be joining the iPad 3 club in the first six months of 2013. A June/July 2013 release of the next iPhone, retina iPad mini 2 and iPad 5 sounds very plausible to me and others. For the iPhone, it's a return to a June/July release with ample supply into the Holidays (at least by October & November). For the iPad, it's a new release date, just in time for the back to school buying season as well as having an ample supply for the Holidays. Sure, iPhone 5 owners will only have 9 months or less to own the latest & greatest and some first gen iPad mini owners will experience buyer's remorse a few months earlier than expected. That's life and progress.

Otterblue
Dec 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
If they made a retina iPad mini the new resolution would demand updates for all existing apps like the iPhone/iPod 5 did. I'm not too fond of many different resolution screens for different devices like many manufacturers are.

nuckinfutz
Dec 19, 2012, 03:03 PM
If they made a retina iPad mini the new resolution would demand updates for all existing apps like the iPhone/iPod 5 did. I'm not too fond of many different resolution screens for different devices like many manufacturers are.

A Retina mini would be the same resolution as the iPad 3rd and 4th generation so the apps would run at the same resolution just smaller.

scott911
Dec 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
After owning a retina iphone,
I decided a non-retina mini would be a significant step backwards.

syan48306
Dec 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
For all those who are saying the mini was designed to be cheap, I say keep the retina's price points for the current model. Introduce a retina version and bump up the price about 100 which would support a higher res and faster processor. This way, people can get their cheap mini and for the rest of us we can get our downsized retina ipad replacement.

EDIT: It's downright hard to go back to a non-retina iOS device after owning a iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and a retina macbook pro. =_=

etrinh
Dec 19, 2012, 03:27 PM
My concern would be battery tech not keeping up with screen tech. The allure of the iPad Mini is the featherweight feel. Cram a retina display and your battery will most likely have to double in size look at what they had to do with the iPad from 2 to 3&4.

nuckinfutz
Dec 19, 2012, 03:29 PM
My concern would be battery tech not keeping up with screen tech. The allure of the iPad Mini is the featherweight feel. Cram a retina display and your battery will most likely have to double in size look at what they had to do with the iPad from 2 to 3&4.

That's because the display has dual light bars. Look for the iPad mini to use a more efficient backlight like IGZO which doesn't require the dual light bars.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/07/apple-adopting-dual-light-bar-system-for-ipad-3-display/

Ryth
Dec 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
Yup. This was the test model and it's delivered some loud and clear results.

a) the market for lightweight sub 8" tablets is there
b) Apple products still command a premium
c) more supplier relations will have to be created to increase production

I think the current iPad mini is priced to slot in a retina display (potentially) with revision II. It's really going to come down to companies like AU Optronics, Sharp, LG and more. Can they deliver adequate quantities of lower power retina displays? I think they can.

Yep...the market is there...probably more then the tablet market of 10"

Honestly I think the mini is better because it IS ALMOST the iPad already and it has to do with the screen size and the bezel.

7.9" was NOT that different to me, but the overall size was and when you go back to the iPad you realize how much extra size that bezel takes up. I prefer the smaller bezel. When I place the Mini over the iPad you see just how much larger it is...but you don't gain all that much in screen real estate over the mini.

The mini seems to have the momentum as Apple's next big thing...so I think Apple should change it up on the iPad and go bigger with it...that could be a game changer there by positioning it more like a 11" MBAir but in a tablet.

So I think ideally, Apple should consider going to a larger screen for the iPad (maybe 10.5 or 11") and it becomes the home/work tablet and the iPad mini becomes the mobile tablet you take with you on the go.

----------

EDIT: It's downright hard to go back to a non-retina iOS device after owning a iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and a retina macbook pro. =_=

Yep and for many of us, that's why we didn't get the mini.

I'm all in for the iPad Mini Retina when it comes out.

----------

Then why did they spec bump and not just wait? Because the Nexus and HD Fire were there for holiday competition.

Apple is moving to a bi-yearly release cycle for iOS devices...the writing is on the wall and there is a VERY good reason why they are going to do this...to not overtax their suppliers AND factories.

If you have factory A working on yearly release # (say Oct Release) and factory B working on #S (say April) you spread out the release pain while being able to meet demand. So when the #S release is coming in April, Factory A can already be ramped down and preparing for the next # release and then when Oct hits, Factory B can ramp down and prepare for the next #S release.

We all know that many people wait 3-6 months out for spec bumps or new releases. With 6 month cycles, they get those buyers in, don't have flat sales months and the factories can ramp down for the next release where they couldn't do that before.

louis.b
Dec 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
That a way to keep your wife in her place! Lets not let our wives make their own decisions. /S

that's sexist.

SurferPup
Dec 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
The resolution is very good on the iPad mini without a retina display. Don't wait - just buy this beautifully crafted device and enjoy now. Everyone without a tablet that I have shown mine too also want an iPad mini.

troop231
Dec 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
The resolution is very good on the iPad mini without a retina display. Don't wait - just buy this beautifully crafted device and enjoy now. Everyone without a tablet that I have shown mine too also want an iPad mini.

Is that you Tim Cook? :p

scott911
Dec 20, 2012, 08:44 AM

With this thread in mind, I looked at a mini and retina ipad (and my retina 4S) side by side last might at apple store.

The mini just looks crude )especially letter formation) by comparison.

Make it heavier and thicker to accommodate a slightly bigger battery - I wouldn't mind one bit.

mdelvecchio
Dec 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
My wife wants one. I told her, "why when we have an ipad2 already ?" She agreed.

she agreed? wow, thats such a compelling argument. i guess ill hold off too...she did agree, right?

Nightarchaon
Dec 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
I see the iPad mini gen 1 much the way i saw the iPhone and iPad 1st gen, its "cheaply" built to test the waters, the gen 2 will have the real features added to it, when they decide if its going to be profitable or not.

In Other news, analysts continue to state the blindingly obvious.

dampfnudel
Dec 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
Yep...the market is there...probably more then the tablet market of 10"

Honestly I think the mini is better because it IS ALMOST the iPad already and it has to do with the screen size and the bezel.

7.9" was NOT that different to me, but the overall size was and when you go back to the iPad you realize how much extra size that bezel takes up. I prefer the smaller bezel. When I place the Mini over the iPad you see just how much larger it is...but you don't gain all that much in screen real estate over the mini.

The mini seems to have the momentum as Apple's next big thing...so I think Apple should change it up on the iPad and go bigger with it...that could be a game changer there by positioning it more like a 11" MBAir but in a tablet.

So I think ideally, Apple should consider going to a larger screen for the iPad (maybe 10.5 or 11") and it becomes the home/work tablet and the iPad mini becomes the mobile tablet you take with you on the go.

----------

Yep and for many of us, that's why we didn't get the mini.

I'm all in for the iPad Mini Retina when it comes out.

----------

Then why did they spec bump and not just wait? Because the Nexus and HD Fire were there for holiday competition.

Apple is moving to a bi-yearly release cycle for iOS devices...the writing is on the wall and there is a VERY good reason why they are going to do this...to not overtax their suppliers AND factories.

If you have factory A working on yearly release # (say Oct Release) and factory B working on #S (say April) you spread out the release pain while being able to meet demand. So when the #S release is coming in April, Factory A can already be ramped down and preparing for the next # release and then when Oct hits, Factory B can ramp down and prepare for the next #S release.

We all know that many people wait 3-6 months out for spec bumps or new releases. With 6 month cycles, they get those buyers in, don't have flat sales months and the factories can ramp down for the next release where they couldn't do that before.

That makes a lot of sense. It may suck a little for people who are superficial, but in the long term it will be better for both Apple and us. It will also make it clear that smartphones are now just the new flip phones and having the latest version will matter as much as having the latest MacBook or HDTV. Use it to be productive, not to be "seen".

CDCC
Dec 28, 2012, 06:31 PM

And please Apple, higher res on the iPad cameras. It is almost 2013 and they ONLY have a 5meg camera in these VERY expensive tablets. The only good camera is in the iPhone5.:(

Come on Apple and put the same nice camera in the iPads!

Dave FL
Dec 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
I refused to move up from my 3GS because of screen size on the 4 and 4S. They waited too long and I discovered I could put an AT&T prepaid sim in the 3GS and have full functionality (and wifi web) for $8/month, so I won't be upgrading at all to a new phone because VOLTE is now available. Had Given wife iPad 3 VZW thinking I'd get a mini. Small text on web sites looks awful though so I will wait for a retina mini.

If they take too long to go mini-retina, I will take that 3 back, reactivate it, and proceed with unlimited voice and text with Line2 app for $10/month on the ipad 3 VZW, which is shutting smartphone mfrs out of my future smartphone purchase so a big delay could also shut Apple out of an iPad ( mini ) sale.

The VOIP on LTE data is going to impact smartphones, and no company better be sitting back counting on them. Top of the line varied sizes of pads consolidating the VOLTE and data will be the future. Carriers are having a hard time giving away minutes already...

Nick T.
Jan 9, 2013, 02:13 PM
I'll buy the iPad Mini the moment it becomes available with Retina! Meanwhile I continue to struggle with the heavy weight of my full-sized iPad.

fiddlestyx
Jan 9, 2013, 02:46 PM
Analyst just making a guess that goes along conventional wisdom.

Makes sense for Apple to upgrade the display and the processor in the next gen mini after testing the market with the first gen.