Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I purchased the MBA at apple store online and received it today... Everything is working great, except when I went to do a Software Update, it sent me to the App Store, and when I went to Mountain Lion, it's asking me to pay $19.99

Well, the MBA came with mountain lion! I shouldn't have to pay again. Any advice? Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I purchased the MBA at apple store online and received it today... Everything is working great, except when I went to do a Software Update, it sent me to the App Store, and when I went to Mountain Lion, it's asking me to pay $19.99

Well, the MBA came with mountain lion! I shouldn't have to pay again. Any advice? Thanks.

Did you register the MBA or input your AppleID?

Not a refurb is it, it's the 2012 model.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Go to the Apple menu and choose About This Mac to see which version you have. If the machine came from Apple then it should already have 10.8, in which case Apple > Software Update'll do it.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
It came from Apple, with Mountain Lion. When I did software updates the 10.8.2 update did not show up.

When going to about this Mac it showed the version as 10.8...

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
OK. I called Apple Support. They had me go through the troubleshooting steps (went through safe mode, checked version numbers, etc).

And eventually the support person told me to just download the update from the apple support site manually, and the next time Apple releases an update the app store should recognize that I'm running Mountain Lion. If not, they can get the laptop looked at.

I guess we'll see what happens...

Edit 1: Oh come on, when I tried to run update 10.8.2, it says it requires 10.8.1, so here I am downloading 10.8.1 first...

Edit 2: After installing 10.8.1 and 10.8.2, the App Store now shows that there are updates available (Safari/iTunes/MBA Update 2.0), so I think this is resolved! (Hopefully, the real test comes when Apple releases 10.8.3...)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.