Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,

How are you?
Today I might get myself a late 2007 Black Macbook with the 2.2 CPU.
The computer comes with the standard 160gb hdd.
If I get the computer, I will want to upgrade the hdd.

I am debating between a 128gb SSD Crucial M4 or a 750gb + 8gb SSD momentus XT hybrid drive.

The use of the computer will be to complement my iPad, so I will only use Iwork, Iphoto (not to edit pictures, but to sort them), browse the web, mail, and use Itunes to manage my iphone and ipad and manage my media library.

So, here is where my doubt rests...
Should I go for the Momentus and put all my photos and media on it, or go with the ssd and keep the media files and pictures on an external drive?

Which solution would be best and why?

Thanks.
Cheers!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Whatever hard drive you put in your MacBook (and I love the Black MB, by the way) you should still have a backup on an external drive.

I do all of my heavy-work on my MacPro, so I just have a 60GB SSD in my MacBook. It's a huge difference over HDD.

As for the hybrid drives, if I'm not mistaken you don't get the advantage of the SSD part until you're loading files. It basically acts as a very large, very fast cache. So you're still bound by the HDD speed for any file not in the SSD cache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.