PDA

View Full Version : New 27" iMac Not Compatible With VESA Mounts

MacRumors
Dec 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/20/new-27-imac-not-compatible-with-vesa-mounts/)

Apple has long supported VESA mounting brackets (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD179ZM/A/vesa-mount-adapter-kit-for-imac-andled-cinemaor-applethunderbolt-display) for its larger displays, including the 27" iMac, the 27" Thunderbolt and 24" and 30" Cinema Displays. With Apple's adapter bracket, the desk stand can be removed and the display can be attached to any VESA-compatible mount (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Display_Mounting_Interface).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/12/imacwallmount.jpg
However, the new, thinner 27" iMac, does not support VESA mounting according to an email (http://www.mactrast.com/2012/12/apple-confirms-new-27-inch-imac-does-not-support-vesa-mounting/) from Apple obtained by MacTrast. This is also noted in a compatibility note for the Apple VESA Mount Adapter Kit (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD179ZM/A/vesa-mount-adapter-kit-for-imac-andled-cinemaor-applethunderbolt-display) on the Apple Online Store.
Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your inquiry. The new iMac is not VESA mount compatible at this time.

We appreciate your feedback on this feature and will take it into consideration.

Thanks,
LauraiMac owners frequently mount their machines to wall brackets for use as kiosks or other commercial displays, or to attach them to an articulating wall mount for flexible placement.

(Photo courtesy Flickr/Jaysin Trevino (http://www.flickr.com/photos/orijinal/5109536444/))

Article Link: New 27" iMac Not Compatible With VESA Mounts (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/20/new-27-imac-not-compatible-with-vesa-mounts/)

Andy-V
Dec 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
The height of those iMac's on the wall looks uncomfortable.

skunk
Dec 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
Is it compatible with any mount at all?

thekev
Dec 20, 2012, 05:52 PM
Blah this is why I find the thinness obsession to be weird. It doesn't take up less desk space as the depth footprint of stand plus machine is virtually identical. In this case it lost functionality for the moment. The purpose of thinning out a design should be to better accommodate spatially constrained installations. I wonder if this will be updated.

ka-spot
Dec 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
No worries, I'm looking the old one!

haruhiko
Dec 20, 2012, 05:55 PM

It's way too high and may cause neck problems.

bflowers
Dec 20, 2012, 06:01 PM
Old news MacRumors, we've known and discussed this since the first 27" iMac arrived in user's hands.

lucidmedia
Dec 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
While the recent imacs support VESA, they did not for a long time. Apple's history is spotty about this type of mounting, so I had no expectation that the new imac would be supported.

Pegamush
Dec 20, 2012, 06:27 PM

the thickness of those imacs on the wall looks uncomfortable. they'd better upgrade to the new thinner ones.

nagromme
Dec 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
Swing-arm iMacs are the coolest. I hope the foot is at least removable from the new ones. Then third parties can make whatever mount or adapter they want.

The thinness of the new iMacs has ZERO benefit, except for style.

Then again, for a piece of furniture in your home/office, style matters a lot! (And optical drives were going to become a niche option no matter what.)

Speaking of style... come on, Apple! Make the keyboard keys and the mouse black! White cables? OK. That’s a signature Apple thing. But white peripherals? On a black computer? How much cooler would these iMacs look with black keys and mouse?

Lancer
Dec 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
It's a shame VESA is no longer supported, it doesn't affect me now but what if I wanted to change things in the future.

I wonder if some would be willing (or able) to cut of the bottom of the leg and attach an adapter to the remaining part to make it work?

Apple, two steps forward, one step back...

All Taken
Dec 20, 2012, 06:46 PM
It's a shame VESA is no longer supported, it doesn't affect me now but what if I wanted to change things in the future.

I wonder if some would be willing (or able) to cut of the bottom of the leg and attach an adapter to the remaining part to make it work?

It would make more sense to take the stand off entirely (It's possible if you open the machine) and attach a makeshift mount.

----------

I'm sure he'd rather have that link going to his website than one going to his thread on our forums. :)

Or both, you could do both? :D

zorinlynx
Dec 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
Is it me or is Apple slowly turning from a respected maker of high-quality, versatile products into a company that makes "cheap disposable crap", only without the cheap part?

That's certainly what it looks like! Some examples:

- Screens held on with GLUE??
- No VESA mount for the iMacs
- Non-user replaceable hard drives on both models, and memory too on the smaller one
- Completely non-user-serviceable batteries in most mobile products (you can still swap the battery relatively easily in the iPhone and non-retina Macbook Pros but how long until the latter are discontinued?)

There's more... but it's disappointing. I wouldn't mind if there was a price reduction to coincide with increased product "cheapness" but it's all expensive as ever.

turtlez
Dec 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
All the people complaining that there is a lack of credit on this news article are probably the ones who say that Apple doesn't innovate lol...

----------

Is it me or is Apple slowly turning from a respected maker of high-quality, versatile products into a company that makes "cheap disposable crap", only without the cheap part?

- Non-user replaceable hard drives on both models, and memory too on the smaller one
- Completely non-user-serviceable batteries in most mobile products (you can still swap the battery relatively easily in the iPhone and non-retina Macbook Pros but how long until the latter are discontinued?)

There's more... but it's disappointing. I wouldn't mind if there was a price reduction to coincide with increased product "cheapness" but it's all expensive as ever.

I wouldn't call it cheapness. It is still made from aluminium and glass vs a plastic competitor. I wouldn't call pushing design further cheapness either even if you do not like the design.

Apple designs there products not to be opened by the user otherwise they would be making fat boxes like PCs to gain access to every component. They like to keep things simple and easy to choose. Imagine if there was a build your own mac where you could buy all the parts you needed from an Apple store and assemble it yourself. Apple would have a whole new nightmare to deal with. Steve Jobs said "don't spread yourself too thin".

While Apple may prevent access to user replaceable parts, it focuses on other things that competitors don't. Maybe you can call competitors cheapness for their lack of design innovation too but we already all do that anyway.

Porco
Dec 20, 2012, 07:24 PM
Apparently Tim Cook wasn't quoted as saying:

"Yeah, it's true, new iMac is not compatible with VESA mounts. This is because once you buy enough iPads, you will find they are so magical, the magic will rub off on the user - they will find they can soon make iMac levitate by the sheer power of thought. We're doubling down on magicalness. Or should that be doubling up? Either way, we're doubling it."

cBraunDesign
Dec 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
I'd take this as less of a "it's never going to be compatible" and more of a "we haven't developed a bracket that's the right shape for the new bubble back yet." I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new part number VESA bracket in the future. They already sell two different brackets for the old flat displays and the later curved back models.

TheBearman
Dec 20, 2012, 08:39 PM
I'd take this as less of a "it's never going to be compatible" and more of a "we haven't developed a bracket that's the right shape for the new bubble back yet." I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new part number VESA bracket in the future. They already sell two different brackets for the old flat displays and the later curved back models.

I think it's more than just a new bracket. Looking at the pictures of an open 27 would seem to suggest that the placement of the screws holding the stand would only be accessible from the inside.

Doctor Q
Dec 20, 2012, 08:43 PM
It might seem to make sense for the editors to merge news threads with user-started threads because it's nice to have all comments in one place, but in practice it's usually a disservice to other users.

Sometimes it's not practical, such as when there are different conversations already going on in the two threads (so they wouldn't make sense merged), the user-started thread has gone off topic or doesn't cover exactly the same news item, or the editor doesn't know about similar forum threads. It also breaks users' thread subscriptions and bookmarks for the thread that is merged away.

More importantly and more often, the news story will include details, links, and often a photo or graphic (as is the case here), making a better presentation of the news for those who haven't already heard about it. When threads are merged it's chronological post by post, so the news story might not even end up on the first page of the thread. Often a user posts a quick link yet an editor actually knew about the story sooner and is researching it and writing it up. And moderation is stricter in news threads so a user-started thread, depending on the forum, may have posts that were fine in that thread but would be too much clutter in a news thread. For these types of reasons it's better to credit a user who submitted a news story than to merge the news thread with a thread started by another user.

It's easy to second guess when you're not the one making the call, but it's an issue we've considered and talked about. We used to merge news threads with other forum threads routinely, and it caused problems regularly.

MacRumors has no reason to cheat users out of credit. Quite the contrary. Everyone wins when we encourage people to submit news and rumors by rewarding whoever is the first to provide a tip.

If you want to discuss news thread merges further, please start a separate Feedback thread. Thanks.

Osxguy
Dec 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
The iMac is so light the "spider" could handle it. Give third party people a chance I bet they can come up with something good!

chrf097
Dec 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your inquiry. The new iMac is not VESA mount compatible at this time.

We appreciate your feedback on this feature and will take it into consideration.

Thanks,
Laura

Seems like some people are completely missing this. You should change this to "Current VESA mounts". They'll easily come out with a new way to make them compatible. Give them time. Not everything happens instantly.

iSayuSay
Dec 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
Seems like some people are completely missing this. You should change this to "Current VESA mounts". They'll easily come out with a new way to make them compatible. Give them time. Not everything happens instantly.

Most of the time. "At this time" means "I'm sorry but you're screwed. Deal with it"
Don't take PR on every words. It's part of the job.

daneoni
Dec 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
...and for what, a few more millimetres of thinness. Form over function at its finest.

fastred
Dec 20, 2012, 10:47 PM

It is you...

britboyj
Dec 20, 2012, 11:38 PM

Didn't they need to do the same thing when they moved from either the white-backed PowerPC/1st gen Intel to the Black-backed ones? Or maybe it was the move from plastic-backed to the unibody?

They've done it before...

Stridder44
Dec 20, 2012, 11:48 PM
Blah this is why I find the thinness obsession to be weird. It doesn't take up less desk space as the depth footprint of stand plus machine is virtually identical. In this case it lost functionality for the moment. The purpose of thinning out a design should be to better accommodate spatially constrained installations. I wonder if this will be updated.

Pretty sure everyone feels this way. The thinness factor only really works up to a point, and even then...

stroked
Dec 21, 2012, 12:30 AM

I see the resale price of used macs going down, in the near future.

Lancer
Dec 21, 2012, 01:17 AM
It would make more sense to take the stand off entirely (It's possible if you open the machine) and attach a makeshift mount.
Not sure if I'd do that.

Here is an easy way to cut off that leg :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr7SkiBJI3w

ScottishCaptain
Dec 21, 2012, 01:49 AM

Nah, it's not you, it's Apple.

The new iMacs are essentially oversized iPads that run OS X. Welcome to the future, where repairability doesn't exist and everything is disposable.

I know more then a few technicians who are cursing at the display being held down by glue (because apparently magnets were too expensive?). Pulling a new iMac open is no fun feat, nor is scraping off the old mounting foam and installing a new one. Frankly, I'm surprised the Mac Mini and laptops are still even openable, because the future of all Apple products is sealed tight at the factory.

-SC

theBB
Dec 21, 2012, 03:00 AM

I would not call replacing the battery on an iPhone "easy".

Have you ever tried to work on a sightly high end car from the last few years? The parts are full of sensors that need to programmed once they are replaced and only the certified dealers can do it. (Well, at least hacking them becomes commonplace.) It is the way business is done these days.

everything-i
Dec 21, 2012, 03:48 AM
So is this a case of not wall mountable at all or just not VESA comparable? It may be a case of requiring some form of adapter to allow existing VESA mounts to be used or some form of propriety mount, which isn't ideal but can at least be worked with. If its a case of the stand doesn't come off so your screwed then that is ridiculous.

Garsun
Dec 21, 2012, 03:57 AM
I'am one that uses VESA arms to float my last iMac and 30" monitor over my desk. I was looking forword to mounting the lighter new iMac the same way and will miss the open desk space under the screens.
That said, I suppose I'am in the less then 1% that apple would not consider important :(

OllyW
Dec 21, 2012, 04:28 AM
So is this a case of not wall mountable at all or just not VESA comparable? It may be a case of requiring some form of adapter to allow existing VESA mounts to be used or some form of propriety mount, which isn't ideal but can at least be worked with. If its a case of the stand doesn't come off so your screwed then that is ridiculous.

The stand on the new iMac is fixed from inside the case so it will need to be stripped down if you want to fit an alternate mount.

There is some discussion in this new iMac strip down thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16491376#post16491376). It's possible a suitable mount could be made but you'll end up losing your warranty if you attempt to fit it.

This photo from that thread shows the mounting screws...

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc516/tandk00/imac/DSCF5715.jpg

Ripmax2000
Dec 21, 2012, 05:05 AM
Screws were on the inside on previous iMac too, but stand could be pulled out to access the screws.

cambox
Dec 21, 2012, 05:18 AM

The issue is with the wording, you have read this as being we are working on it but in reality it's bad English. 'At this time' is an American saying which is a statement of fact but doesn't mean its going to be actioned. its the same issue with many sayings or abbreviations and the worst on this forum is this obsession with the use of 'IMHO', this implies you lie the rest of the time. This of course is IMHO.

tomjleeds
Dec 21, 2012, 05:39 AM
The issue is with the wording, you have read this as being we are working on it but in reality it's bad English. 'At this time' is an American saying which is a statement of fact but doesn't mean its going to be actioned. its the same issue with many sayings or abbreviations and the worst on this forum is this obsession with the use of 'IMHO', this implies you lie the rest of the time. This of course is IMHO.

H in this usage = humble, not honest ;)

thirumalkumaran
Dec 21, 2012, 05:40 AM
No VESA Mount?

I think "PREGNANCY pants" should do the trick....

GoCubsGo
Dec 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
snip

Thank you for taking the time to explain. It goes a long way when done without all the other crud.

dermeister
Dec 21, 2012, 06:06 AM

Actually, given real inflation over the years, Apple's products are as cheap as they have ever been in history.

mw360
Dec 21, 2012, 06:08 AM
Am I reading this article wrong, or is it true that the OLD iMac wan't VESA compatible either?

In which case, the more accurate, non-scandalous headline would be: VESA adapter bracket not (yet) redesigned for new iMac.

That's hardly news though...

OllyW
Dec 21, 2012, 06:14 AM
Am I reading this article wrong, or is it true that the OLD iMac wan't VESA compatible either?

In which case, the more accurate, non-scandalous headline would be: VESA adapter bracket not (yet) redesigned for new iMac.

That's hardly news though...

The old stand could be removed from outside the case to allow the VESA adaptor to be fitted. The new iMac needs to be stripped down to gain access to the screws that secure the stand so it's unlikely Apple will offer an adaptor.

mw360
Dec 21, 2012, 06:17 AM
The old stand could be removed from outside the case to allow the VESA adaptor to be fitted. The new iMac needs to be stripped down to gain access to the screws that secure the stand so it's unlikely Apple will offer an adaptor.

Ah, yes. Thanks for not saying 'read the effing thread'. :)

Nightarchaon
Dec 21, 2012, 06:31 AM

More like Two steps slideways into nth dimensional space, one step back.

If it was a step forward or two it could be understandable, but thin and reduced features are not steps forward for a desktop PC.

----------

That said, I suppose I'am in the less then 1% that apple would not consider important :(

Nahh, that 1% apple consider not important are called "Consumers"

they only care about the 99% of people buying this crap as fashion items,

Seriously, i don't know why apple doesn't just stop putting electronics in these anymore and just sell them as art installations, they are approaching the point of being almost as useless.

But at least i can hang art on my wall.

blackhand1001
Dec 21, 2012, 06:39 AM
Those are seriously the fugliest things i have ever seen. I'd rather pay 3k+ just to NOT see this on my desk. Heck i would pay double not to have this garbage near me. Good for you if you don't like the form factor. Some do and some are glad that they have done this design over the old ones. Nevermind... just saw the mustang picture... its hopeless.

I didn't mean the design. I meant the size and form factor. And excuse me snob. That car in the picture is mine. What do you drive thats so much better? I bought that car when I was 17 with my own money that I earned.

Kaibelf
Dec 21, 2012, 07:12 AM

Give me a break. I find someone who mounts a computer on a wall the way that picture shows to be FAR weirder than the 99.9999% who leave an iMac on a desk and prefer it to look nice. You act as if people never rearrange their homes.

----------

So they are cheap because they are using industrial epoxy instead of screws and it's too difficult for you to cheaply go into the machine and tinker? Sounds like something a little more low-end from HP might be more appropriate for you, since cost is clearly a consideration. Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.

Nightarchaon
Dec 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.

Using GLUE on consumer electronics, in fact, on an item which will get hot during use and break down the glue over time, is crap and badly thought out..

I see peoples screens falling out of these iMacs after they have been used for a year and half, and your only option will be to re-glue.

Magnets would have been, and have already been used as, a more intelligent, inherently superior solution, glue is just cost cutting to up the profit margin.

Screws would have been an inherently superior choice over GLUE... glue is NEVER the best option, glue degrades over time with environmental factors, screws do not.

nStyle
Dec 21, 2012, 07:58 AM
A little off topic but I disagree with the new iMacs looking "better". The "old" iMacs are still relatively thin and I highly doubt that there will be anywhere you can fit the new 27" in that you somehow couldn't do with the "old" 27". The experience is still the exact same for the user, as they still haven't cut down on the obtrusively large black bezel. If anything, these things would be more compact if they didn't have to have such a large bezel. 27" is more like 32" with Apple.

thekev
Dec 21, 2012, 08:32 AM
Give me a break. I find someone who mounts a computer on a wall the way that picture shows to be FAR weirder than the 99.9999% who leave an iMac on a desk and prefer it to look nice. You act as if people never rearrange their homes.

VESA is the only way to get a height adjustable imac or use it with an lcd arm increasing the freedom of placement. If you're going to respond in a condescending tone again, try to be better informed.

toke lahti
Dec 21, 2012, 08:53 AM
"Hardly no-one was buying VESA-mounts anynore..."
"But we might re-introduce the magical VESA-mount again in the next model, if there's enough interest to it and not enough interest without it. Anyway you'll have to buy new imac, when current model's hdd runs out of warranty..."

lcavada
Dec 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
I too am disappointed i cannot mount my new iMac on my wall bracket.

But everyone seems to be fixated on bashing this new iMac and Apple.

As stated by some other posters, Apple should have come out with a new bracket, however they cant do everything at once. I'll wait until it comes out.

Do note that no one has mentioned the reason why i bought the new model.

HEAT

The previous version gets very hot during use. In a confined area and having the machine on all the time, raises the temperature of the room.

After several visits to the Apple store, i observed the news one runs MUCH cooler. This is by checking the temperature of the housing in several places.

I have checked the 21 inch and 27 inch versions.

This is my primary reason for selling my old one, and buying the new one.

SlugBlanket
Dec 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
This and placing the SD card slot on the back of the display are imo really bad design choices.

I would have thought that making a large display such as this able to be mounted to a wall or an arm were commonsense design criteria. It's also well known that Apple users by and large tend to want their hardware to look it's best at all times. Having the card slot located at the back is going to result in many machines either getting scratched as we photographers fumble to locate the slot or users rotating the display on a regular basis which tends to be annoying.

I accept that for many an internal DVD drive is a bit of a dinosaur. I personally only use the drive to burn my CD's to a lossless format since I invested many years ago in a very high quality audio system. With the exception of the reduction of screen glare, this current iMac for me is a step backwards in real world ease of use.

I'm now faced with the prospect of having to mount the display on a Lazy Susan so that I can rotate it easily and/or have more cables and peripherals attached (DVD Drive, USB Card Reader). This for me is taking the shine off the point of an all-in-one.

Brian Y
Dec 21, 2012, 09:05 AM
Using GLUE on consumer electronics, in fact, on an item which will get hot during use and break down the glue over time, is crap and badly thought out..

I see peoples screens falling out of these iMacs after they have been used for a year and half, and your only option will be to re-glue.

Magnets would have been, and have already been used as, a more intelligent, inherently superior solution, glue is just cost cutting to up the profit margin.

Screws would have been an inherently superior choice over GLUE... glue is NEVER the best option, glue degrades over time with environmental factors, screws do not.

So where do you suggest they screw the screen into? Logic tells you that if you want the glass/LCD to be a single unit, and the rear housing to be unibody, there can be no screws.

Apple have ALWAYS put design over practicality - if you see one of the new iMacs in the flesh, the first thing you'll say is "Wow that's thin". Nevermind that it's not much thinner in the middle than the old one, and the footprint is the same - it looks striking, that's what Apple have always done (and quite frankly, what they do best).

The % of people who open the iMacs is incredibly small - and to be honest, I'd rather have to heat some glue, than have to spend an hour removing dust from between the LCD and glass. Same goes for the VESA mount - in ~ 2 years servicing iMacs - I've seen one person who has it mounted - myself.

toke lahti
Dec 21, 2012, 09:31 AM
With the exception of the reduction of screen glare, this current iMac for me is a step backwards in real world ease of use.
If they'd offer a matte screen without the glass, it would be even thinner and no glare at all...

Nightarchaon
Dec 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
So where do you suggest they screw the screen into? Logic tells you that if you want the glass/LCD to be a single unit, and the rear housing to be unibody, there can be no screws.

Apple have ALWAYS put design over practicality - if you see one of the new iMacs in the flesh, the first thing you'll say is "Wow that's thin". Nevermind that it's not much thinner in the middle than the old one, and the footprint is the same - it looks striking, that's what Apple have always done (and quite frankly, what they do best).

The % of people who open the iMacs is incredibly small - and to be honest, I'd rather have to heat some glue, than have to spend an hour removing dust from between the LCD and glass. Same goes for the VESA mount - in ~ 2 years servicing iMacs - I've seen one person who has it mounted - myself.

I agree , screws in this case would be inelegant, however, magnets, as used in previous models would give the same lines, and be easier to maintain should something go wrong.

the % of people i know who have, as a minimum, added ram to a computer is 100%, the amount who have had to replace a HDD due to failure is probably around 50%, these iMacs do not let users perform basic maintenance easily.

It would be like ford saying you cant change your wiper blades, replace a tyre, or spark plugs, or oil or fill up anywhere but at an approved ford garage...

richpjr
Dec 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
This and placing the SD card slot on the back of the display are imo really bad design choices.

I would have thought that making a large display such as this able to be mounted to a wall or an arm were commonsense design criteria. It's also well known that Apple users by and large tend to want their hardware to look it's best at all times. Having the card slot located at the back is going to result in many machines either getting scratched as we photographers fumble to locate the slot or users rotating the display on a regular basis which tends to be annoying.

I accept that for many an internal DVD drive is a bit of a dinosaur. I personally only use the drive to burn my CD's to a lossless format since I invested many years ago in a very high quality audio system. With the exception of the reduction of screen glare, this current iMac for me is a step backwards in real world ease of use.

I'm now faced with the prospect of having to mount the display on a Lazy Susan so that I can rotate it easily and/or have more cables and peripherals attached (DVD Drive, USB Card Reader). This for me is taking the shine off the point of an all-in-one.

I agree - not thrilled with some of the changes. I get why Apple wants to funnel people towards iTunes instead of physical media, but I do still use my DVD player/burner quite a bit.

I have my iMac sitting on a desk and it will still be a pain in the rear to access the card slot and with the amount of time I spend on my photography hobby, this just won't work well for me. So I guess I'll have to have an external drive and a card reader sitting on my desk. Yuk.

Brian Y
Dec 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
I agree , screws in this case would be inelegant, however, magnets, as used in previous models would give the same lines, and be easier to maintain should something go wrong.

the % of people i know who have, as a minimum, added ram to a computer is 100%, the amount who have had to replace a HDD due to failure is probably around 50%, these iMacs do not let users perform basic maintenance easily.

It would be like ford saying you cant change your wiper blades, replace a tyre, or spark plugs, or oil or fill up anywhere but at an approved ford garage...

The problem with magnets IMO - is that they're not *that* strong in their current form - and you'd need quite a large piece of metal for them to grip onto.

Magnets work well with the current glass, but the LCD is about 10 times heavier than a piece of glass, and it'd take some serious magnets to make sure that stayed in no matter what.

With the SD slot - putting it on the *side* was the worst design decision, not the back! Do you how many iMacs I've had to shake the SD card out of when people have slotted it into the DVD drive :P.

stroked
Dec 21, 2012, 11:00 AM

With the SD slot - putting it on the *side* was the worst design decision, not the back! Do you how many iMacs I've had to shake the SD card out of when people have slotted it into the DVD drive :P.

The new iMacs do not have a DVD drive, so this can't happen.

mdelvecchio
Dec 21, 2012, 11:13 AM

it's you. really. only a fool would dispose of his macbook pro or iphone simply because it required a battery replacement down the road. thats like me tossing my car if i had to bring it into the shop for its 2-year or 4-year tune up.

as for cheapness, the macbook airs start at $999, macs $599, ipads $329, ipods $50, and iphones at $0. how much cheaper can you get? in years past those prices were considered insanely low, and today we get so much more functionality at those price points than ever before.

so yeah, its you.

----------

...and for what, a few more millimetres of thinness. Form over function at its finest.

it's a desktop pc. it's function and form is designed for the desktop primarily. anything else, such as wall mounts, is gravy...not the core "job to be done" problem it solves.

----------

I see the resale price of used macs going down, in the near future.

ah, you must be another future analyst... they all see bad things for apple, and have for 13 years. and yet, here we are....

trunten
Dec 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
So what? This is the reason apple made it so thin and light. No need for a wall mount, just rub it against your jumper for a bit and the static will adhere it to the wall.

mdelvecchio
Dec 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the future, where repairability doesn't exist and everything is disposable.

1) what sort of "repairs" do average consumers make to their all-in-one devices? how about TVs? high-end receivers?

2) apple designs products for mass market consumers, not repairmen.

3) who in their right mind would "dispose" of a laptop that only needed a replacement battery service in 4 or more years? just like my car, id bring it in for that routine service. unlike my car, it only costs a couple hundred bucks....just like other high-end notebook batteries.

...you repair enthusiasts need to wake up to reality and leave chicken-little behind.

----------

I would not call replacing the battery on an iPhone "easy".

having just done this on my gf's iphone 4, yes, i would call replacing it "easy" on the enthusiast scale.... it involved removing two screws, sliding the back off, removing another screw, popping off a clip, and then unplugging the battery. took 10 mins.

but again, any sort of repair like this is purely for enthusiasts, not average consumers. just like all the other average users who dont perform upgrades on even their tower computers and would bring it in to me at Best Buy to install modems, vid cards, RAM, etc...

mdelvecchio
Dec 21, 2012, 12:06 PM

so where did you get your manufacturing & engineering degrees from? what company do you produce for? where can we see your products?

orrrrr are you just some dude on the interwebs who doesnt know squat about squat but likes to punch out his rage on the keyboard?

Macboy Pro
Dec 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
Of course it doesnt fit and norm. Apple needs to offer its own at 300% markup to its nearest competitor, then license it. LOL

Jibbajabba
Dec 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
You hanging it up wrong.

The Bulge
Dec 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
Is it compatible with any mount at all?

It's compatible with my duck tape mount .

Bubba Satori
Dec 21, 2012, 08:47 PM
Apple should just buy VESA.

organerito
Dec 22, 2012, 03:56 AM
orrrrr are you just some dude on the interwebs who doesnt know squat about squat but likes to punch out his rage on the keyboard?

Welcome to the club!

Kludge420
Dec 22, 2012, 05:34 AM
Hi,

Even though no one gives a toss about how thin the iMac is we're going to waste time and effort solving a " problem" no one has. Oh and we're going to break stuff that used to work.

Signed,

Apple

P.S. We hate your freedom.

----------

only a fool would dispose of his macbook pro or iphone simply because it required a battery replacement down the road. thats like me tossing my car if i had to bring it into the shop for its 2-year or 4-year tune...

Yeah, so making a laptop where you can't replace the battery is pretty stupid huh? Or is that simple concept beyond your grasp?

Oui
Dec 22, 2012, 06:59 AM
Hi,

Even though no one gives a toss about how thin the iMac is we're going to waste time and effort solving a " problem" no one has. Oh and we're going to break stuff that used to work.

Signed,

Apple

----------

Yeah, so making a laptop where you can't replace the battery is pretty stupid huh? Or is that simple concept beyond your grasp?

Dear you
Don't buy one

Signed,
Apple

Brian Y
Dec 22, 2012, 07:33 AM
Hi,

Signed,

Apple

----------

The battery can be replaced, by Apple, for a fee ($199). This will be for a battery that is capable of holding 80% of its charge after 1000 cycles.

Dell, for example, will sell you a 9 cell battery for your Inspiron 1501 (model picked since it's one I happen to have here) - for $119. This will last approx 300 cycles before it holds 80%, and, from experience, a cycle will happen in about 4 hours, as opposed to the 7 in the rMBP.

Which seems like better value when you do the math ($1999 is 10% of rMPB cost - $119 is about 20% of the dell's value when new).

Anyone who throws out a laptop simply because they don't want to pay $199 for a new battery is either foolish or ignorant. Just because you can't go buy a $20 clone from china which will probably destroy your $2,000 machine, doesn't mean the battery cannot be replaced.

toke lahti
Dec 22, 2012, 09:42 AM
Finally we have reason why Apple hates ODD.
Technicians removing sd-cards from slot-open drives just cost too much and Ives doesn't like tray-loading ODD, since it once poke his nose...
1) what sort of "repairs" do average consumers make to their all-in-one devices? how about TVs? high-end receivers?
Opening one screw to open door for changing batteries is done with every gadget on the planet that runs on batteries. If adding RAM is essentially the same thing, how hard this can be? Do you also call for technician to change light bulb?
The battery can be replaced, by Apple, for a fee ($199). This will be for a battery that is capable of holding 80% of its charge after 1000 cycles.
It is nice that Apple is forced to use high quality batteries, since otherwise they'd have to pay for changing batteries within 2 years from purchase in many countries.
But I believe most people would change the battery by themselves, if they could buy a battery from Apple in half price and needed only open few screws.
If changing batteries wouldn't be good business for Apple, they could offer the option for their customers to change batteries by themselves. But since Apple doesn't give this option...

Brian Y
Dec 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
Finally we have reason why Apple hates ODD.
Technicians removing sd-cards from slot-open drives just cost too much and Ives doesn't like tray-loading ODD, since it once poke his nose...

Opening one screw to open door for changing batteries is done with every gadget on the planet that runs on batteries. If adding RAM is essentially the same thing, how hard this can be? Do you also call for technician to change light bulb?

It is nice that Apple is forced to use high quality batteries, since otherwise they'd have to pay for changing batteries within 2 years from purchase in many countries.
But I believe most people would change the battery by themselves, if they could buy a battery from Apple in half price and needed only open few screws.
If changing batteries wouldn't be good business for Apple, they could offer the option for their customers to change batteries by themselves. But since Apple doesn't give this option...

There's no way they make a profit on the service on the rMPB. On the cMBP, to replace the to case, display and battery would have cost over 250, plus 24 labour. On the rMBP battery replacement program, they charge 159 including labour.

hamkor04
Dec 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
Apple claimed that iPad mini has thin lines between screen and edges but not a this one, I saw it 21 inches on Apple store. to "make" a "Thinnest" edge on iMac they had to make wider annoying black lines which is not so edge to edge screen.
these every single iMac related posts making me believe that i made a right choice buy choosing mini instead of an iMac

carlgo
Dec 22, 2012, 10:15 AM
It's the bulge in the center. Mounted on a wall, the edges would be sticking out and it would not look as good as the old thicker one which can lay flat.

A slightly thicker one with ad disk drive for the real world and no chin, joined together with proper fasteners and not glue would be better. As would be the ability to do at least some maintenance on the thing. Just too big and expensive a device to be a throw-away.

righteye
Dec 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
All the people complaining that there is a lack of credit on this news article are probably the ones who say that Apple doesn't innovate lol...

----------

I wouldn't call it cheapness. It is still made from aluminium and glass vs a plastic competitor. I wouldn't call pushing design further cheapness either even if you do not like the design.

Apple designs there products not to be opened by the user otherwise they would be making fat boxes like PCs to gain access to every component. They like to keep things simple and easy to choose. Imagine if there was a build your own mac where you could buy all the parts you needed from an Apple store and assemble it yourself. Apple would have a whole new nightmare to deal with. Steve Jobs said "don't spread yourself too thin".

While Apple may prevent access to user replaceable parts, it focuses on other things that competitors don't. Maybe you can call competitors cheapness for their lack of design innovation too but we already all do that anyway.

Its all about profit, need a new battery take it to Apple need a new HD/SSD back to Apple and i fear even a new MacPro will be a much less flexible self contained unit than it is currently with options via Thunderbolt add ons.
Thunder bolt is the way to by pass some of Apples restrictions,make the drives external,even add a PCIe slot but this kinda negates the "Thin" thing that Apple seem to be obsessed with at the moment plus they are not responsible for any non Apple additions that one might make

----------

H in this usage = humble, not honest ;)

IMHO H=Humble because we are British :) honesty should not come into question

----------

And then they change it AVESA so fits only :apple:

toke lahti
Dec 22, 2012, 12:15 PM
There's no way they make a profit on the service on the rMPB. On the cMBP, to replace the to case, display and battery would have cost over 250, plus 24 labour. On the rMBP battery replacement program, they charge 159 including labour.
No way?
Why not?
I'm not sure what you mean with c(!)MBP, but if changing case AND display AND battery costs 274, I don't see why expenses for changing the battery ONLY would be way less than 159. In other words, they probably make better profits with latter one.
Maybe even much more important aspect to Apple is, that because changing battery is so big effort, especially for those who don't live near appleStore (none in my country...), this lowers the step to buy a new one. If changing the battery would be as simple as changing the light bulb, the resale value of a macbook with bad battery would be of course much higher than it is now, but new customers don't know that there used to be time, when after a few years use Apple's laptops used to be worth more than average windows laptop when new.

JAT
Dec 22, 2012, 09:37 PM

A = Association

Apple is a member of the Association. How do you buy yourself? Would the SEC approve?

thekev
Dec 22, 2012, 09:45 PM

Are you suggesting they replace the whole top case and display when you pay for battery service? While it's expensive, I would guess much of it is tied to labor.

A = Association

Apple is a member of the Association. How do you buy yourself? Would the SEC approve?

It was sarcasm. I know some people on here say stuff like that in a literal or figurative sense. In this case I recall many of his other posts, so it's obvious.

jashic
Dec 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
They sacrificed VESA support in order to make it appear thin when you look at it from a 64 degree angle. Any other angle? Looks like a pregnant bulb. But at 64 degrees, you can admire how thin it really is.

That in itself was worth losing DVD/CD capabilities, upgradeability and VESA mounts. YES! :rolleyes:

QuarterSwede
Dec 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
I gotta say, I was really thinking of going the iMac route soon but I really wanted to mount it to the wall of my desk. I figure I'm in the minority though.

Brian Y
Dec 23, 2012, 04:46 AM
Are you suggesting they replace the whole top case and display when you pay for battery service? While it's expensive, I would guess much of it is tied to labor.

On the retina, yes that is the case - the battery replacement service requires replacement of the top case, into which the battery is glued, and this also includes the trackpad since that's under the battery.

On the retina, it's a ~30-45 minute job I'd say.

toke lahti
Dec 23, 2012, 06:21 AM
On the retina, yes that is the case - the battery replacement service requires replacement of the top case, into which the battery is glued, and this also includes the trackpad since that's under the battery.
Battery in top case, behind the screen and under the trackpad, w00t?!

RobertMartens
Dec 23, 2012, 07:49 AM
Old news MacRumors

Instead of saying 'old news' I suggest you say 'Slow news day?' or 'Shouldn't this be on page two?'

----------

They sacrificed VESA support in order to make it appear thin when you look at it from a 64 degree angle. Any other angle? Looks like a pregnant bulb. But at 64 degrees, you can admire how thin it really is.

That in itself was worth losing DVD/CD capabilities, upgradeability and VESA mounts. YES! :rolleyes:

But even you have to admit it. Damn it looks thin. Have you been doing Pilates? Damn!

thekev
Dec 23, 2012, 08:15 AM

On the retina, it's a ~30-45 minute job I'd say.

That sounds like an excessive waste of parts. If they're doing this, the battery life cycles must look truly excellent these days. I can't imagine they want to perform such repairs on the majority of these machines.

Brian Y
Dec 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
Battery in top case, behind the screen and under the trackpad, w00t?!

Never mentioned screen? :s

bflowers
Dec 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
Instead of saying 'old news' I suggest you say 'Slow news day?' or 'Shouldn't this be on page two?'[COLOR="#808080"]

Nope, it was old news. Started to get a little smelly. Past it's sell by date.

I tried to use my computer sitting at a 64 angle, and it was extremely hard to be productive. Would adding those things back in make it more usable at that angle? :D My superdrive is taking up desk space, I'm thinking of duct taping it to the side. I wonder what angle I need to mount it at...

toke lahti
Dec 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Never mentioned screen? :s
Hmmm,
you answered this question:
Are you suggesting they replace the whole top case and display when you pay for battery service?
with this answer:
On the retina, yes that is the case - [...]
Sorry for my poor understanding, but why they are replacing the screen when they change the battery?

Brian Y
Dec 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Hmmm,
you answered this question:

with this answer:

Sorry for my poor understanding, but why they are replacing the screen when they change the battery?

Ah apologies, I didn't read that bit properly! it's not the display, just the top case, battery and trackpad (and any cables, etc that are within the top case :)).

jsolares
Dec 23, 2012, 10:35 PM
Heh so they make the 27" light enough to work with most VESA mounts, and cheaper than the ones supporting the old model to boot, but seems like now they don't support them...

szw-mapple fan
Dec 24, 2012, 12:52 AM

What, did you want screws??

Bubba Satori
Dec 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
A = Association

It was a joke. Merry Christmas. Carry on.

jashic
Dec 24, 2012, 11:37 AM
Nope, it was old news. Started to get a little smelly. Past it's sell by date.

I tried to use my computer sitting at a 64 angle, and it was extremely hard to be productive. Would adding those things back in make it more usable at that angle? :D My superdrive is taking up desk space, I'm thinking of duct taping it to the side. I wonder what angle I need to mount it at...

I suggest duct taping it to the base of the feet. Yeah, the non-adjustable one. If you happen to be tall, you could duct tape it to the bottom of the non-adjustable feet, then you can at the same time raise the iMac to meet your eyes.

Make sure you get high quality duct tape. It's a good thing duct tape already has an aluminum color that matches your iMac. It was all meant to be this way. Trust Apple.

Untethered
Dec 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
Anybody whose wondering, VESA announced they're working on a new mount for the new iMac. Lol. Nobody else commented about it :3.

adder7712
Dec 24, 2012, 07:10 PM

Apple should buy Christmas.

Oh...wait.

toke lahti
Dec 25, 2012, 06:26 AM
"New VESA mount doesn't need any screws or holes for them! You just glue the imac to the mount! And if you want to remove it, all you need is hairdryer! Magical!!!"

joe-h2o
Dec 25, 2012, 08:43 AM

The "zomg so much bulge and they hide it in photos!" this is overblown.

I have a new 27" iMac and the way my desk is situated, when I watch TV from bed the iMac is side on to me and it doesn't look like it has a huge bulge at all. It looks very svelte.

From all the QQ and wailing on the forums I was expecting it to look like Airbus' Super Guppy transport aircraft.

It doesn't look anything like that.

Dagless
Dec 25, 2012, 05:34 PM
Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.

Except in the case of computers, yeah, it is better. We're not talking about a device you fondle every day. Short of touching the power button I don't think I've ever touched my iMac and I've certainly never seen screws, despite them existing on it (I assume they're hidden amongst the grill under the computer).

coolfactor
Dec 26, 2012, 02:07 PM
It's remarks like this that make me wonder if these stories are thrown together for the sake of generating ad revenue...

iMac owners frequently mount their machines to wall brackets for use as kiosks or other commercial displays, or to attach them to an articulating wall mount for flexible placement.

Frequently? Really?

Bubba Satori
Dec 27, 2012, 10:37 AM

A = Association

Apple should buy Christmas.

Oh...wait.

That's the spirit. Well played. Happy holidays

calaverasgrande
Dec 31, 2012, 10:19 AM
okay so the performance of teh new imacs os great, but in terms of ergonomics (and ergonomic compatibility) they suck.
Thin is nice, but what is the reasoning behind the vesa mount incompatibility?
And the headphone jack on the back(and all other jacks as well).
Do people in Cupertino actually use iMacs?
(I've been there, they do).
As much as I dig Apple gear, they have lately been giving me too many reasons NOT to buy. Due to space constraints I WILL be wall mounting any iMac I buy on an articulated wall arm. If the current model won't do that, I will have to pick up a refurb or used model. Lower performance, but it does what I want.
Gotta wonder about the Edu market. I see alot of wall mounted imacs in libraries and schools.

cclloyd
Jan 2, 2013, 01:11 AM
I question why the iMac ever needed to be thinner. I would rather a THICKER desktop since it wouldn't take up any more space with the iMac design if it would mean double or triple the power.

inscrewtable
Jan 2, 2013, 03:23 AM
With regards to the 'look' of the new imac, sure, it does look a bit cute to see the very thin edge effect, however as far as overall look goes, for my money the slightly chunkier previous model 'looks' nicer to my delicate sensibilities.

The 2011 imac still looks the same from normal viewing angles but from the side it has a more solid robust and authoritative appearance. The 2012 iMac looks a trifle 'flimsy' and effete, and dare I say it, a bit 'girly'.

antonis
Jan 2, 2013, 08:36 AM
okay so the performance of teh new imacs os great, but in terms of ergonomics (and ergonomic compatibility) they suck.
Thin is nice, but what is the reasoning behind the vesa mount incompatibility?
And the headphone jack on the back(and all other jacks as well).
Do people in Cupertino actually use iMacs?
(I've been there, they do).
As much as I dig Apple gear, they have lately been giving me too many reasons NOT to buy. Due to space constraints I WILL be wall mounting any iMac I buy on an articulated wall arm. If the current model won't do that, I will have to pick up a refurb or used model. Lower performance, but it does what I want.
Gotta wonder about the Edu market. I see alot of wall mounted imacs in libraries and schools.

Previous models also had all the jacks on the back of the machine, too. The only thing that was on the side for the previous models and moved to the back is the smart card slot.

(I didn't mention the lack of optical drive as this seems to be "undesired" for all new Macs including laptops, so it is moving to become a legacy device, at least according to Apple).

calaverasgrande
Jan 3, 2013, 10:01 AM
Previous models also had all the jacks on the back of the machine, too. The only thing that was on the side for the previous models and moved to the back is the smart card slot.

(I didn't mention the lack of optical drive as this seems to be "undesired" for all new Macs including laptops, so it is moving to become a legacy device, at least according to Apple).

Of course I am aware that the jacks have been on the back for a while. I just think it is absurd.
I can get the logic of having the USB TB etc on the back, but the headphone jack and sd card slot? This applies equally to the mini. Sure it LOOKS cool to have a clean face devoid of jacks, but this is putting form too high above function.
Sure ditch optical, only 10% of us need it. But it sure would have been nice if they kept the thickness the same and put the jacks on the side where the optical used to be.
I guess I am in the minority. But everytime I think I want an iMac or another mini I go look at them in the store and realize what an ergonomic train wreck they are.

Brian Y
Jan 3, 2013, 10:54 AM
Of course I am aware that the jacks have been on the back for a while. I just think it is absurd.
I can get the logic of having the USB TB etc on the back, but the headphone jack and sd card slot? This applies equally to the mini. Sure it LOOKS cool to have a clean face devoid of jacks, but this is putting form too high above function.
Sure ditch optical, only 10% of us need it. But it sure would have been nice if they kept the thickness the same and put the jacks on the side where the optical used to be.
I guess I am in the minority. But everytime I think I want an iMac or another mini I go look at them in the store and realize what an ergonomic train wreck they are.

How is having a headphone jack on the back of an iMac an ergonomic train wreck? Sure, if you have a PC on the floor under your desk, but it's never more than an arms reach away. And after 1 or 2 times, muscle memory will allow you to plug headphones in without looking behind anyway.

It's no more ergonomic having ports on the side/front, but it'd be a whole lot uglier.

skh
Jan 3, 2013, 03:42 PM
To me, it doesn't look impossible to add VESA compatibility.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/MwjRqELAmH4KPMUQ.huge

It looks like that bracket/stand wouldn't be hard to remove, and replaced with a BTO option for VESA bracket. Obviously they would change for it for users to have it changed who already have the stand, but I don't see why there couldn't just be an alternative, VESA-compatible bracket.

Yes, this is annoying. Yes, it's not ideal to have to take the whole thing apart to add VESA. However, I don't see why it couldn't physically happen, apple sanctioned or not.

I've had my iMac unopened (in the box) for a few weeks now deliberating the importance of VESA, as my current setup uses it.

Lil Chillbil
Jan 3, 2013, 09:07 PM
am I the only one who read this and went

whatttttttttttt I didn't know you could do that :eek:

ssdaytona
Feb 16, 2013, 08:27 PM
there goes the idea of me replacing my 2011 27" iMac.

too bad

SlugBlanket
Mar 15, 2013, 05:24 AM
This is welcome news with regard to VESA support (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/14/apple-now-offering-imacs-equipped-with-vesa-mount-adapters-as-40-upgrade/) from Apple.

They could have saved themselves a lot of well deserved criticism if they had simply said, "We don't support it yet but we will have a solution available for shipping in the coming weeks". Instead they remained aloof and gave no indication. This undoubtedly hurt their reputation and to a lesser extent their sales. I wonder how many people who had already invested in arms were made to worry unnecessarily about their upgrade options and how many potential customers simply walked over to the Dark Side.