PDA

View Full Version : Imac G3

crazysaxchris
Sep 24, 2005, 08:15 PM
Hi I'm about to switch from Windows to Mac!

The computer I thinking am getting is a Graphite Imac G3 700 Mhz. It has 60 gb, 256 memory,Tiger,Microsoft Office 2003, cd-rw drive,life 05 (incl. iPhoto 5, iTunes 4.7 and Garage Band)Adobe: After Effects, Illustrator CS, InDesign 2.0, Photoshop CS Filemaker Pro 6 Macromedia: Dreamweaver MX, Fireworks MX, Flash MX, and FreeHand 10
Quicken 2005, Roxio Toast Titanium.

I can upgrade the ram to 320,384,512,768, should i upgrade the RAM?

Is this computer powerful enough to process video editing using IMOVIE?

I need to use Airport, is the old b wireless netowrk good, fast enough to surf the internet?

Are the programs on it good?

How much is it worth?

Will this computer liek blow on me in like a year?

I want to get a mac, but i'm still leaning on a mac mini what should i get.

For forty bucks should i upgrade to 512 RAM?

Sorry about all the questions :D

(SORRY ONE MORE)

Do all the dvd writers you see in the store work for apple? :)

Eluon
Sep 24, 2005, 08:34 PM
You will always want to upgrade to more and more RAM.

It really depends on what you are doing for video editing. I suggest getting the mini, but it is all up to you. I really can't give any advice on cost expectations for such a machine.

I know I owned an iMac G3 350 and I loved every minute of it. So, hopefully you will enjoy this one too.

igucl
Sep 24, 2005, 08:36 PM
Personally, I don't think a computer like the one you described would be worth more than $300-350. I bought one just like it on eBay about a year ago for $400.

It may be able to do what you need, but it will do it much slower than a Mac Mini or current eMac. Why waste your money when you could save a little more and be much happier in the long run?

Just my opinion.

crazysaxchris
Sep 24, 2005, 08:54 PM
Would a 700mhz run Imovie pretty fast. How much RAM should i have? How FAST? :confused: Need more info ask!

homerjward
Sep 24, 2005, 09:20 PM
iLife 05 System Requirements

* Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3 (400MHz or faster), G4, or G5 processor
o 600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand
o G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments and advanced photo editing in iPhoto 5
o 733MHz G4 or faster required for iDVD
o 1GHz G4 or faster required to use HD features of iMovie HD
* 256MB of physical RAM (512MB recommended)
o 512MB RAM required to use HD features of iMovie HD
* Mac OS X v10.3.4 or later
o Mac OS X v10.3.6 or later required to use HD features of iMovie HD
o Mac OS X v10.3.6 or later required to work with RAW photos (iPhoto 5)

* Display with at least 1024 x 768 pixel resolution
* QuickTime 6.5.2 (included)
* DVD drive required to install GarageBand and iDVD
* Apple SuperDrive (or 733MHz G4 processor) required for iDVD
* RAW requires a supported RAW-compatible camera
* Compatible SuperDrive required to burn DVDs
* 4.3GB of disk space required to install GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD; or 250MB to install iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie only
* iPhoto books and prints are available in the US, Canada, Japan, and select European countries
* Streaming music via AirTunes requires an AirPort Extreme Card, AirPort Express Base Station (sold separately), and iTunes 4.6 or later
* The iTunes Music Store is available only to persons above the age of 13 in the U.S., Canada, UK, France, Germany, and select EU countries

that's what apple has to say on the matter. it'd probably take a long time to encode things but when you're actually working it should be fine. i can say that imovie 4 runs great on a 1.25ghz g4, though.

crazysaxchris
Sep 24, 2005, 09:23 PM
Hey Thanks!

jiv3turkey748
Sep 24, 2005, 09:40 PM
you should upgrade the ram to a gig, then it will be able to run imovie fine

airport is pretty fast my dad has it on his ibook

id say its worth $300-$400

it will still be working a year from now i have an imac from 1999 and its still running strong

Macky-Mac
Sep 25, 2005, 12:21 AM
maybe $200 at the most....you can get a Mini for $499 to start so an ancient G3 imac is not going to be worth anywhere near that.....and you'll think the G3 is the slowest thing in a year

California
Sep 25, 2005, 01:10 AM
maybe $200 at the most....you can get a Mini for $499 to start so an ancient G3 imac is not going to be worth anywhere near that.....and you'll think the G3 is the slowest thing in a year

Yeah, but you have to have a monitor and keyboard for the mini.

I LOVE the old g3 iMacs -- and bought a 600mhz/768mbs for under 400 for a friend WHO LOVES it. You'd be surprised what they can do on Panther/Tiger.

ReanimationLP
Sep 25, 2005, 04:04 AM
I hate all the people who when other people ask for advice on other macs, they're always like "Just get a mini." Not everyone has keyboards, mice, and monitors lying around, plus, some people like the expandability. Hell, the iMac G3 is more expandable than the mini. You can put a big hard disk in it.

Patmian212
Sep 25, 2005, 04:21 AM
Also I really hate the people who say the G3 is ancient, yes it is an old processor but it is still very capable! A G3 700 mhz is not slow for websurfing or for using word. But I do agree if you have an extra keyboard, mouse and monitor go for the mini.

crazysaxchris
Sep 25, 2005, 09:15 AM
I've finaly decided to get an EMAC on ebay. I was going to get a Imac g3 put then looked at what the Emac can do, the emacs the one. Anyone eles have an emac what do you think, is it fast,.

eva01
Sep 25, 2005, 09:37 AM
holy damn changing how to spell eMac multiple times in the post.

the new eMacs are amazingly good machines in my mind.

crazysaxchris
Sep 25, 2005, 09:38 AM
I'm throwing my windows out the window~! :D

jamdr
Sep 25, 2005, 09:39 AM
Yes, the eMac is a far better purchase than an iMac G3. I've owned a few eMacs (1 GHz and 1.42 GHz) and they are great machines. The speed is fine as long as you have enough RAM (640 MB or more, imo). My only complaint is that they are pretty loud, but you get used to that...sorta.

mad jew
Sep 25, 2005, 09:41 AM
What are the specs? :)

Chundles
Sep 25, 2005, 09:55 AM
Please to be posting of the specs thanking you....

zap2
Sep 25, 2005, 10:07 AM
Never used the eMac but my bro almots got one we went in planning to buy an eMac and came out with an iMac G4(when G4 were still being sold by apple) im happy about that the iMac g4 is so much nicer looking then the eMac :p

When it comes to iMac G3 vs eMac i like the iMac G3's colors but if i was getting one as my main computer it would be the eMac

Jaffa Cake
Sep 25, 2005, 10:45 AM
I had a 500Mhz G3 iMac until fairly recently, which ran Panther very well with 384MB of RAM. I was able to run apps like Photoshop and Illustrator quite well granted, not as fast as I would have been able to on a more recent Mac, but the performance was more than adequate. If you do go for the iMac, I would definitely recommend upgrading the memory as Tiger is pretty RAM intensive a fresh 512 stick should serve you well.

andy89
Sep 25, 2005, 10:53 AM

Be carefull, it might take a couple of tries

wrxguy
Sep 25, 2005, 10:55 AM
holy damn changing how to spell eMac multiple times in the post.

the new eMacs are amazingly good machines in my mind.
hahahaha I had to read the post about 3 times caues the different spellings lol

Macky-Mac
Sep 25, 2005, 08:11 PM
I had a 500Mhz G3 iMac until fairly recently, which ran Panther very well with 384MB of RAM. I was able to run apps like Photoshop and Illustrator quite well granted, not as fast as I would have been able to on a more recent Mac, but the performance was more than adequate. If you do go for the iMac, I would definitely recommend upgrading the memory as Tiger is pretty RAM intensive a fresh 512 stick should serve you well.

I have a G3 iMac 400 that I used for five years and loved using.....just retired it a few months ago in fact.......using OS 10.3 it would indeed run Photoshop, at least if the files weren't too big, and Illustrator and other stuff......but looking at the list of programs the OP mentioned, I would say he should check the CPU requirements for those progrrams to make sure he isn't wanting to use some software that requires a G4

my objection is to the $300 to $400 price concept.....today on macrumors there were 2 threads with posters asking about G4 iMacs in that same price range so I think $300/$400 is too much for a G3

I still love my grape iMac.....but the OP's list of software makes me think he's going to find the G3 iMac too slow pretty fast

Supa_Fly
Sep 26, 2005, 12:29 AM

Just before you do ... keep the RAM, HDD, and possibly HDD cabling; if it has a DVD-RW keep it to sell or put in an external case for hard burning jobs. This new eMac will begin making you money in no time.

crap freakboy
Sep 26, 2005, 05:03 AM
hahahaha I had to read the post about 3 times caues the different spellings lol

Ironic huh? :D

galstaph
Sep 26, 2005, 11:49 AM
eMacs aregreat machines, we have some at my university (our 5 machine comprise our digital editing lab), and I've found them quite nice to use.