Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazysaxchris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
A SMALL TOWN IN WISCONSIN
Hi I'm about to switch from Windows to Mac!

The computer I thinking am getting is a Graphite Imac G3 700 Mhz. It has 60 gb, 256 memory,Tiger,Microsoft Office 2003, cd-rw drive,life 05 (incl. iPhoto 5, iTunes 4.7 and Garage Band)Adobe: After Effects, Illustrator CS, InDesign 2.0, Photoshop CS Filemaker Pro 6 Macromedia: Dreamweaver MX, Fireworks MX, Flash MX, and FreeHand 10
Quicken 2005, Roxio Toast Titanium.

I can upgrade the ram to 320,384,512,768, should i upgrade the RAM?

Is this computer powerful enough to process video editing using IMOVIE?

I need to use Airport, is the old b wireless netowrk good, fast enough to surf the internet?

Are the programs on it good?

How much is it worth?

Will this computer liek blow on me in like a year?

I want to get a mac, but i'm still leaning on a mac mini what should i get.

For forty bucks should i upgrade to 512 RAM?

Sorry about all the questions

(SORRY ONE MORE)

Do all the dvd writers you see in the store work for apple?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
crazysaxchris said:
Hi I'm about to switch from Windows to Mac!

The computer I thinking am getting is a Graphite Imac G3 700 Mhz. It has 60 gb, 256 memory,Tiger,Microsoft Office 2003, cd-rw drive,life 05 (incl. iPhoto 5, iTunes 4.7 and Garage Band)Adobe: After Effects, Illustrator CS, InDesign 2.0, Photoshop CS Filemaker Pro 6 Macromedia: Dreamweaver MX, Fireworks MX, Flash MX, and FreeHand 10
Quicken 2005, Roxio Toast Titanium.

I can upgrade the ram to 320,384,512,768, should i upgrade the RAM?

Is this computer powerful enough to process video editing using IMOVIE?

I need to use Airport, is the old b wireless netowrk good, fast enough to surf the internet?

Are the programs on it good?

How much is it worth?

Will this computer liek blow on me in like a year?

I want to get a mac, but i'm still leaning on a mac mini what should i get.

For forty bucks should i upgrade to 512 RAM?

Sorry about all the questions

(SORRY ONE MORE)

Do all the dvd writers you see in the store work for apple?

I would get the Mac Mini. The G3 you described would be deadly slow running the programs you listed. In a year, it won't be any better... running tiger on it could prove to be problematic, too.

I would get the Mac Mini and increase the RAM to 1 gig. It'll come with tiger and the whole iLife suite, just like all Macs do. It'll handle it a LOT better than that iMac G3.

and unless you're getting all the programs on their original disks with license agreements and such, getting them preinstalled is slightly illegal. (and they wouldn't run well on that Mac anyway. :p)

MacPassion

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
OZ
I'm switching soon too. I'm not familiar with the machine you described, but I would definitely go for the MacMini. My mum just got one (the middle level model) and she is extremely happy. I guess that it would work much better than an old G3....for the sofware, do you really need all that software anyway?!?!

crazysaxchris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Which One?

Hi in the next few months I'm think on buying an Apple. I'm kind of on a limited budget.

:confused: What I Could Get Is :confused:

:Mac Mini

:Imac G3 (Save Me Money) 60gb Tiger 512 RAM 700mhz

:Imac G4

:IBOOK G4 or g3 WHICH ONE!

:Emac

: Or a brand new sony! :)

I'm new to apple and not sure what to get. The most I Probably can spend is about 500.00. Wiht it I would do a lot of video editing, I'm not sure,
Thanks For Your Help :D

Could I Get an Ibook that cheap?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
None of those computers will be able to "a lot of video editing"

If i were you i would save up for an iMac or PowerMac intel
By then you can have more $$$ and intel will be out

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
A mac mini may be able to do a little iMovie not much save up for at least an iMac G5 or PowerMac G5 it will be worth the wait

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
Yeah video editing might require a faster mac, but I think the emac is really good value for money. Good G4, graphics card is good on the latest model too - I don't know if there is any way you can try one out before you buy it.

I know that at the Regent St Apple store in London you can go and try the machines, might be an idea to see which is best for you, or maybe talk to a genius at a store.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
crazysaxchris said:
: Or a brand new sony! :)
The most I Probably can spend is about 500.00.
If you can get brand new Sonys for 500 bucks, please get one for me too ;)

Do you have a screen? Then I'd get a mini. Otherwise go for a 2nd-hand imac G4 or emac.

The iBooks are nice but if you're going to do a lot of video editing, you should spend your money on power and not on portability.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
crazysaxchris said:
When will that come out?

what do you mean "when will they come out?"

They are out, have been for years.

iMovie works on any system you list there - it's just gonna be a bit slow on a G4 system and really slow on a G3. If you are looking to save cash I would recommend the eMac - it's quick, has a nice big and fast hard drive and you can get it with a dual-layer DVD burner. It comes with everything too - those Apple keyboards are great. The mini would not be the greatest of choices if you don't have a screen, keyboard and mouse around and it's more like a headless iBook than a headless eMac.

If you can afford to wait, go for an iMac G5. iMovie flies on any G5 system and you will love the big widescreen when doing your video editing.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Yeah for video editing you really need a big computer iMac or PM G5. Or at the very least IMO a 15" powerbook (because of screen real-estate) With as much RAM as you can put in it.

But if you are just using iMovie try to go for a new eMac the superdrive version with 2GB of RAM. That *should* hold you off till you get a bigger computer and they are extremely cheap for what you get

crazysaxchris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Is this one good enough!

The emac i was lookin at had

80 gb

256 mb

tiger

17" screen

800 mhz

Would this computer be a good deal for about 300.00

would i be easy the change the RAM to a 1G?

How would this be for movie editing?

THANKS
YALL

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Wouldn't say it would be that good for video editing personally, but what currency are we talking about by the way??

::20ROGERSC::

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
you can not want to do movie editing and have a tiny budget. If you want good video editing your going to be spending minimum 1000 dollars

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
eva01 said:
you can not want to do movie editing and have a tiny budget. If you want good video editing your going to be spending minimum 1000 dollars
aw c'mon, of course it can always be faster but that eMac (provided he gets 1GB RAM) will be fine for editing home video.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
lexfuzo said:
aw c'mon, of course it can always be faster but that eMac (provided he gets 1GB RAM) will be fine for editing home video.

i personally believe he needs either last gen or this gen eMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.