Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Honestly, if I recall correctly, the iPhone 5, iPad mini and 4th gen iPad are all using the same WiFi chip so if there was a bug on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5, it probably was in the 4th gen iPad, right?

jvacek

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
could be that, i would assume it has to do something with the size, but I am not sure if they actually do use the same chips, that would be worth checking.

Maybe the update is still in the oven, who knows

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Honestly, if I recall correctly, the iPhone 5, iPad mini and 4th gen iPad are all using the same WiFi chip so if there was a bug on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5, it probably was in the 4th gen iPad, right?

There was a software issue that affected the iPhone 5 and iPad mini only, thats why.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
There was a software issue that affected the iPhone 5 and iPad mini only, thats why.

Yeah. I know that. But since all three devices are using the same WiFi chip and so, probably the same software that goes with it, I was wondering why it has been excluded.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yeah. I know that. But since all three devices are using the same WiFi chip and so, probably the same software that goes with it, I was wondering why it has been excluded.

It was a bug fix update.
Common sense would suggest that apparently the iPad 4 must not have required any bug fixes.

If you own an iPad 4 you should be thankful it apparently has no issues that needed to be fixed.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
My understanding is the iPhone 5 and iPad mini utilize the 5ghz band as well as 2.4 ghz for wifi and the drivers for that was what was being addressed. Not sure why the iPad 4 would not get it but as stated above perhaps it didn't need the bug fix.

Last edited:

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

The iPhone 5 and Mini use the same antenna structure, which in combination with a glitch in the WiFi chip's firmware, was causing the issue. The full size ipad uses a completely different antenna, which didn't "clash" with the bug in the Chip's Firmware.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Here's the real question: are YOU experiencing problems with WiFi on the 4th Gen iPad?

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
The iPhone 5 and Mini use the same antenna structure, which in combination with a glitch in the WiFi chip's firmware, was causing the issue. The full size ipad uses a completely different antenna, which didn't "clash" with the bug in the Chip's Firmware.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Here's the real question: are YOU experiencing problems with WiFi on the 4th Gen iPad?

No but I wasn't having problems with my iPhone 5 neither

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.