PDA

View Full Version : Chimera dominates MacWorld's browser test

blackpeter
Dec 2, 2002, 03:41 PM
In browser speed and render speed tests, Chimera loads 3 out of 5 pages faster than the rest!

Macworld Article (http://www.macworld.com/2002/12/features/browsers/index.html)

edesignuk
Dec 2, 2002, 03:48 PM
I knew it! Chimera friggin rockz!!!! if you haven't already got it, GET IT NOW! (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/chimera/releases/chimera-0.6.dmg.gz)

vniow
Dec 2, 2002, 03:55 PM
Already got it.

It's about the same speed as Phoenix on my PC, sometimes a little faster or a little slower depending on the site.

It's a bit clunky, but that's probably cuz it's a 300Mhz iBook.

FattyMembrane
Dec 2, 2002, 05:55 PM
what the hell is up with that test? does microsoft control macworld? i'm always amazed at people who still cling to the notion that ie is the "browser to beat". it's been a month since chimera .6 was out and they're using .5? just pop-up blocking and speed make it better than ie. when chimera hits 1.0, apple will probably bundle it with the system and 80% of mac users will run it (probably 15% omni and 4% moz), but there will always be those out there saying "ie is still the best browser around" that is, if they can type the entire sentence without it crashing or launching classic for some stupid reason.

neonart
Dec 2, 2002, 06:21 PM
I admit that .5 got weird on me and eventually I had to ditch it, but .6 is awesome! IE has not made an apperance in my machine ever since Chimera .6 appeared. Some people still have heart attacks about some comma in the HTML rendered 2.6 NE of a period or something, but Chimera is stil the fastest, most usefull browser on the Mac.
If you don't have it download it and check it out. If you don't like it, it's easy to delete.

AssassinOfGates
Dec 2, 2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
what the hell is up with that test? does microsoft control macworld? i'm always amazed at people who still cling to the notion that ie is the "browser to beat". it's been a month since chimera .6 was out and they're using .5?

Chimera 0.6 was not out at the time the article was written. I subscribe to the magazine. 'Tis old news.

FattyMembrane
Dec 2, 2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
Chimera 0.6 was not out at the time the article was written. I subscribe to the magazine. 'Tis old news.
sorry, my mistake. i'm a busy man *the crowd laughs* i can't be bothered with things like numbers and dates, they'll only slow me down. :cool:

benixau
Dec 2, 2002, 11:23 PM
i love chimera.

i got speed chimera as well. check VersionTracker (http://www.versiontracker.com) for a copy of it.
not only does it load faster than IE but with speed chimera i can make other sites believe i use winXP w/IE 6.

tabs - fast loads - popup blocking

using it now. IE sits in my dock only for one thing, hotmail.

oh well one of these days.

And, as for apple including it with OS X when it hits 1.0 - if i remember correctly it is cocoa and completely open source, who says they wont make their own web browser based on it or even a rebranded one with some fancy apple touches??

mads
Dec 3, 2002, 11:39 AM
Chimera is the best one yet. A little unstable, but it's still just 0.6

Apple has actually just hired the developer of Chimera, so my guess is that it will be included in OS X soon.

with speed chimera i can make other sites believe i use winXP w/IE 6.

Why would you want to do this?

IE sits in my dock only for one thing, hotmail.

Chimera can use hotmail as well.

macmax
Dec 3, 2002, 11:43 AM
chimera(navigator 0.6 ) is my default browser.:D

chrisfx811
Dec 4, 2002, 09:58 AM
after asking for macrumors help concerning how slow my browsing experience was with dsl using ie 5.2.2, i UPGRADED to chimera 0.6 and haven't looked back. the only problem i have had thus far is when ordering products from our company's website www.globalcellular.net i cannot perform all the necessary tasks. for ex. the options that normally appear at the bottom of each page are not there. hopefully we will get this worked out, but other than that my browsing experience is 100% faster and more enjoyable. at first i was confused by tabs, but now i love them.....
thx again