Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simon567

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
As the subject really.

I have a 2011 iMac and a 120GB LaCie Rugged SSD connected via Thunderbolt.

I've been running OSX off this happily for the last month and yesterday I thought it was time to move Bootcamp across as well.

I followed a tutorial where I installed bootcamp to a partition on the internal drive, then used Winclone to move the installation across to my SSD. I then removed the partition on the internal drive and Windows is now booting from the SSD with no problems.

As I only have a small SSD, I just created a 35GB partition for Windows, with the intention of using the internal drive for storage of anything other than the OS and my most regularly used applications (not that I use many Windows applications!).

I partitioned my internal drive with a 150GB Fat partition, but when I boot into Windows, it doesn't see my internal drive at all, only the Mac partition on the SSD and obviously my Bootcamp partition on the SSD.

I tried running Bootcamp driver setup again, I didn't expect it would make a difference and indeed it didn't! I'm a bit stuck for other things to try. I've been using Windows for quite a long time, but in my experience, if a drive is physically there, it usually shows up in My Computer! I'm wondering if it's something to do with the way Bootcamp handles BIOS?

Has anyone had a similar problem? Does anyone know how to fix it? I'd also be interested to know if anyone has tried a similar thing and found all the hard drives to show up fine (so at least I know I'm not trying to do something that's impossible!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.