Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
My best friend has decided to get an iPod (at last!). However, he's in a stump.

Should he get the newest nano OR a 6gb ipod mini?

He loves the latest stuff; however, he could use more than 4gb of storage. Doesn't really need a color screen as he would not put pictures in it but he would love black.

What do you guys suggest??

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....it's a tough call and really up to him to decide. A deciding factor may be price - check the local Compusmart there (or online) - they are (or were - I think it goes until the end of sept. but I could be wrong...) as they had a rebate on Mini's - $40 off on a 6GB one, bringing the price down to about $20 less than the Nano....oh yeah!

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I would go with the iPod Mini, as it has the better price, more storage, FW, and a better look.

The iPod Nano scratches easily, it's got only the flash, size, and colour screen going for it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iEric said:

He loves the latest stuff; however, he could use more than 4gb of storage. Doesn't really need a color screen as he would not put pictures in it but he would love black.

nano. Yeah it's smaller but that means he gets to use it more often. :D The mini is no longer produced so he's buying a product that is already outdated. If the past is anything to consider the mini will probably be like my 3G when the 4G's came out - we got one firmware update for a few new features and that's it. The nano is brand-spanking new and will be the current form for a fair while now so it's going to get s lot more support from Apple than a mini.

mini accessories are likely to be phased out albeit gradually (there's millions of them out there), the nano has a much faster interface and whilst you don't think you need the colour screen, gee they look good.

And the nano just looks cool.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
maya said:
I would go with the iPod Mini, as it has the better price, more storage, FW, and a better look.

The iPod Nano scratches easily, it's got only the flash, size, and colour screen going for it.
iPod Mini 6GB Silver is sex. Too bad they dont have it on the Education store anymore... :(

They have them in the refurb store now, but with my edu discount, I wouldnt get a refurb unless my life depended on it. :cool:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Nano it SO COOL!!!!

but the Mini was a good iPod

up to him but don't get the Nano just becuz its new get it becuz he would like the look and color screen and flash drive

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
brepublican said:
iPod Mini 6GB Silver is sex. Too bad they dont have it on the Education store anymore... :(

They have them in the refurb store now, but with my edu discount, I wouldnt get a refurb unless my life depended on it. :cool:

exactly what I would say ipod mini is sex... hell no the nano and the original ipod and the shuffle are sexy not the minis they fall under the funky catergory.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
AP_piano295 said:
exactly what I would say ipod mini is sex... hell no the nano and the original ipod and the shuffle are sexy not the minis they fall under the funky catergory.

The iPod Mini, is the only product in the iPod line that does not have a plastic faceplate. It breaks the norm. ;) :)

If they could have made the Nano with the Mini style except thinner, that would have looked sweet. :D

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
If he likes a black iPod. Tell him to get a used black ipod mini from colorware.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
6GB mini for a year, then sell it and pick up a 6GB nano next year or so. I think that the nano is the better deal, in terms of how much you pay for the color screen and awesome size, but not having enough space to have your songs on isn't worth it (at least to me) to compensate for the little nano 'extras.' Necessities first. Too bad there's not 6GB nano out. C'est la vie.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Ah, he likes all of your opinions. Now he has one more question...

What do you think about a guy walking down the street with a pink ipod mini?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
nano all the way. The is already obsolete so why by it?
The nano flash memory is solid compared to the mini. One good drop of the mini and the HD is toast.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
iEric said:

I have a pink ipod mini. If he likes attention then he should get one. women like to comment on it a lot.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
As much as I like the mini, the nano is better. 4 GB or 6GB, it really doesn't make a big difference. Considering the nano is half the size of the mini, it's almost a no-brainer, plus you get a color screen, flash memory, photo capability, lyrics, stopwatch, and world clocks.

As long as you protect the screen with some sort of film, you'll be alright.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
iEric said:

one gay
two not gay but confident ;)

honestly i dont care pink is for real men but a normal ipod is still way sexyer than any of the minis

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
get a 6gb mini and since he wants black put that sticky skin portector stuff one it
that way he get the storage and color he wants

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
doucy2 said:
get a 6gb mini and since he wants black put that sticky skin portector stuff one it
that way he get the storage and color he wants

What is this sticky skin protector that you speak of? And don't tell me it's radtech or a case...

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
WillMak said:
I have a pink ipod mini. If he likes attention then he should get one. women like to comment on it a lot.

AP_piano295 said:
one gay
two not gay but confident

honestly i dont care pink is for real men but a normal ipod is still way sexyer than any of the minis

Well he doesn't really LIKE attention, but he just thinks it's different for a guy to carry one. I mean, silver is so BLAH. And the blue is also a bit girlie and green is not his color. I don't know.

Yea i think he's gonna get a black nano. But it's so expensive...299 in cad. 279 with his student discount and tax...ewww

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
iEric said:
Well he doesn't really LIKE attention, but he just thinks it's different for a guy to carry one. I mean, silver is so BLAH. And the blue is also a bit girlie and green is not his color. I don't know.

Yea i think he's gonna get a black nano. But it's so expensive...299 in cad. 279 with his student discount and tax...ewww

gotta hate them taxes

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Maybe he can start something, sort of like the pink polo shirt thing... Actually, he can sport both at the same time. :D

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
iEric said:

Not to say anything but its so "duh"...get the nano...who wants something old...i mean old model...not that the nano is not as good as the mini..however, don't bother the storage whatsoever difference and paying extra all that stuff...

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
DarkNetworks said:
Not to say anything but its so "duh"...get the nano...who wants something old...i mean old model...not that the nano is not as good as the mini..however, don't bother the storage whatsoever difference and paying extra all that stuff...

I love when people say that something old is obsolete and the future is with what was just released. Take this notion into account, the iPod Mini is:

Tried
Tested and,
True.

The Nano is new and has problems as the iPod Mini did when it was released.

Colour screen looks nice, however you are only looking at the screen to change the track and putting it back into your pocket.

The Nano also scratches easily, and with a scratched up screen who cares if its colour when its unreadable. You might as well get a Shuffle then. ;)

Also the Nano has only 2-4Gigs of storage, and is not FireWire capable.

Lets add up the positives of the Mini:

1. FireWire Capable.
2. Much more scratch resistant than the Nano.
3. Can boot from it.
4. Works with hundreds of 3rd party add-ons.

As far as I can see it, Apple is sly in not opening the iPod OS, since once that is done no one will care what new features they add, sine most can be done via 3rd party anyhow and for free without the need to upgrade.

Marketing ploy = Monopoly

I would love to program a keyboard into the iPod and use the touch-wheel to input short data messaged (even though it might take some time). :p :)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
maya said:
I love when people say that something old is obsolete and the future is with what was just released. Take this notion into account, the iPod Mini is:

Tried
Tested and,
True.

The Nano is new and has problems as the iPod Mini did when it was released.

Colour screen looks nice, however you are only looking at the screen to change the track and putting it back into your pocket.

The Nano also scratches easily, and with a scratched up screen who cares if its colour when its unreadable. You might as well get a Shuffle then. ;)

Also the Nano has only 2-4Gigs of storage, and is not FireWire capable.

Lets add up the positives of the Mini:

1. FireWire Capable.
2. Much more scratch resistant than the Nano.
3. Can boot from it.
4. Works with hundreds of 3rd party add-ons.

As far as I can see it, Apple is sly in not opening the iPod OS, since once that is done no one will care what new features they add, sine most can be done via 3rd party anyhow and for free without the need to upgrade.

Marketing ploy = Monopoly

I would love to program a keyboard into the iPod and use the touch-wheel to input short data messaged (even though it might take some time). :p :)

Even with all those that you stated up there, just look at the amount of people getting a nano...
FireWire Capable-who cares, i mean USB works fine for me...probally some care but this has been discussed somewhere...
Much more scratch resistant than the Nano.-iPods scratches...who cares about the extra resistance...not that the mini won't scratch at all...
Can boot from it.I've no idea about this one so i won't comment...
Works with hundreds of 3rd party add-ons.Yeah thats the only advantage that i'll see as the one that mini have...plus iPod nano works with MOST of the 3rd party ones...not all but most of them...you may not agree with most but probally u might say SOme but it doesn't really matter...
at the end of the day, everyone wants a nano more than the mini...even the people with mini's want the nano...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.