Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oli3107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
South East
Hey guys
A couple questions:
Basically, I want to do a clean installation of 10.7, but I need to boot from the USB stick it's on to do it, I want it to delete everything. I know you have to press option to make it ask where you want it to boot from, but I have a wireless keyboard as my MB's Keyboard has stopped working, and when I press alt on start up, it goes straight to the apple logo, doesn't ask where I want to boot from?
Anyone know how to get it to ask me where to boot from without pressing the option key?
Or does anyone know how I can do a clean install of 10.7 where it deletes everything?

Thanks
Oli

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No. You will need a wired KB in order to get into disk utility on startup inorder to erase the disk. Maybe you can borrow one? The wireless keyboards just don't pick up a signal until the Mac is past the boot EFI point anyway, so no amount of pressing is going to get you where you need to be.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
you can boot from a wireless keyboard as long as its paired with the MacBook.

best way is to repeatedly press option while booting

Reffolucja

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
In preference u have option to choose startup partition. For sure that work with external hard drive connected to USB port I've installed os like that

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
If you wireless BT KB is already paired to your system, it will work. I do it all the time when I want to boot off my external USB drive to CCC my current drive (backups).

You can also add the USB thumb drive in while booted up, go into Systems Preferences, Startup Disk and select it.

Otherwise, you will need to get a wired KB to select and hold down the Option key.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yes....They aren't cheap, so maybe you can borrow one?

Bwuh? I just picked up a combo pack with both a keyboard and mouse for $14 (and this wasn't special Christmas pricing). You don't need to use an Apple keyboard; any USB one will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.