PDA

View Full Version : PC vs MAC?


Mr_Goblin
Dec 2, 2002, 06:15 PM
if this has already been posted, i'm sorry for double posting:

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm

as a long time mac owner, i do find this quite disturbing.:mad:

fatalerror101
Dec 2, 2002, 06:49 PM
this article is very disturbing, but the point has to be made that your not buying a pc for it's speed it for it's software, otherwise thier wouldn't be mac platform, for me at least. Well what's nice about this report is that the Mac is almost as fast a hyperthreaded 2.5 ghz machine while our clock speed is at 1.25, so maybe when we get our PM upgrade in MWSF we can compeate on an almost even level. I hope that our future chip the New 970 from IBM will extingush our slipping clock speeds and help us gain some more ground in the workstation area.

First post?


PowerBook G4 1ghz

BenderBot1138
Dec 2, 2002, 06:50 PM
Dells don't use Final Cut Pro.

:cool:

fatalerror101
Dec 2, 2002, 06:59 PM
Your right they don't, but they both have maya, and i am sure that out beloved PM's aren't as fast as thier huge powersucking Pentium 4's w/ HT


PowerBook G4 1ghz

cr2sh
Dec 2, 2002, 07:13 PM
Wow, that is absolutely horrible. I feel very passionate about using a mac, but goddamn.... we're getting raped right now.

electric
Dec 2, 2002, 07:20 PM
I just bought one of those Dell bad boys and was really upset when I tried to install OSX and it wouldnt load.
he he he ;)

Mr_Goblin
Dec 2, 2002, 07:35 PM
fatalerror101, you make a very good point here:

>>>>Well what's nice about this report is that the Mac is almost as fast a hyperthreaded 2.5 ghz machine while our clock speed is at 1.25, so maybe when we get our PM upgrade in MWSF we can compeate on an almost even level.<<<<

i feel better now :)

barkmonster
Dec 2, 2002, 07:41 PM
Wow, that is absolutely horrible. I feel very passionate about using a mac, but goddamn.... we're getting raped right now.

You should see how much the powermac is destroyed by 1Ghz+ Athlon and 2Ghz+ Pentium 4 PCs. The dual Ghz G4 is about on a par with a 1Ghz Pentium III while 2.2Ghz Pentium 4 and Athlon 2200XP+ systems are easily 80% faster than the average performance people with 1Ghz G4s are getting.

That will change a bit when protools goes OS X native 'cos it can use 100% of 1 cpu for plug-ins and 100% of the other cpu for everything else and the OS. At present it's only using 85% of 1 cpu for everything and 15% of the same cpu for the OS.

There's also a limit to the amount of applications than can truly take advantage of dual cpus, audio software is very black and white when it comes to performance, you either CAN run X amount of plug-ins and tracks or you can't.

FattyMembrane
Dec 2, 2002, 07:49 PM
i just close my eyes and keep telling myself that the 970 will make it all better. lets just hope that in the time it takes for a 970 to make it into a powermac amd does not have a 4ghz clawhammer or something else to put the last nail in apple's coffin.

LethalWolfe
Dec 2, 2002, 08:06 PM
no offense but this is repost #3 for that article.


Lethal

Mr_Goblin
Dec 2, 2002, 08:11 PM
>>>>no offense but this is repost #3 for that article.<<<<

my bad, failed to use search engine

MacCoaster
Dec 2, 2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Goblin
fatalerror101, you make a very good point here:

>>>>Well what's nice about this report is that the Mac is almost as fast a hyperthreaded 2.5 ghz machine while our clock speed is at 1.25, so maybe when we get our PM upgrade in MWSF we can compeate on an almost even level.<<<<

i feel better now :)
Even level? Did you even read that article. 3.06 GHz P4 is MURDERING dual G4 1.25. Dude, that's a SINGLE Pentium 4 system.

Now, Dual 3.06 GHz P4 Xeon w/ Hyperthreading... oh my gosh, I can't imagine how sucidial the Power Mac would appear against that machine.

LethalWolfe
Dec 2, 2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Goblin
>>>>no offense but this is repost #3 for that article.<<<<

my bad, failed to use search engine

Now sweat, each newbie is allowed one mistake... but next time...:mad: :mad: :mad:


:p


Lethal

Catfish_Man
Dec 2, 2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster

Even level? Did you even read that article. 3.06 GHz P4 is MURDERING dual G4 1.25. Dude, that's a SINGLE Pentium 4 system.

Now, Dual 3.06 GHz P4 Xeon w/ Hyperthreading... oh my gosh, I can't imagine how sucidial the Power Mac would appear against that machine. ...don't support dual processors... :) Dual Xeon, perhaps, but that would be upwards of $2000 for the processors alone. Anyway, I'm hardly surpised it's losing. I mean: 1.25GHz with a 167MHz bus and about 2.3IPC vs. 3.06GHz a 533MHz bus and about 1.8IPC (maybe higher with multithreaded apps and hyperthreading). I would guess it would be on an even level against a 2.4GHz NorthwoodA when running multithreaded apps. With Altivec and multithreading (Photoshop, Final Cut) it would do better. With most crappy PC ports, it would do worse. A dual 970 on multithreaded Altivec optimized code would beat both of them by so much that it wouldn't even be funny (heck, it would beat them both combined). Actually, on second thought, it would be pretty funny, but only if I owned the dual 970 :).

MacCoaster
Dec 2, 2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Catfish_Man
A dual 970 on multithreaded Altivec optimized code would beat both of them by so much that it wouldn't even be funny (heck, it would beat them both combined). Actually, on second thought, it would be pretty funny, but only if I owned the dual 970 :).
You don't know that, yet. Sources indicate that the estimated SPEC numbers for PowerPC 970 is slightly lower than the Hammer.

No one knows for certain. 2003 will be a FUN year, no? :D

ddtlm
Dec 2, 2002, 09:47 PM
Catfish_Man:

Dual Xeon, perhaps, but that would be upwards of $2000 for the processors alone.
You are confusing the big-cache Xeons with the small-cache Xeons. The type of Xeon that runs at 2.8ghz and goes into most dual-processor machines costs only a little more than a P4 of the same clock speed. Big-cache Xeons top out at 2ghz, but can sport 2mb of on-die L3 at that speed. :) ($4000 a pop, a think.)

arn
Dec 2, 2002, 10:04 PM
Please do not reply to posts that are incorrectly posted in the wrong area.

arn