Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I'd like to pick up a couple of spare lightning cables for my ipad and iphone but I'd rather not spend 18 bucks a piece on amazon for them. Can anyone recommend a quality cheaper alternative that they've been using?

Thanks.

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
I personally stay away from 3rd party cords just because you never know what can go wrong. Sure you save a lot when you buy $1 generics but what if they cause damage worth hundreds? I buy directly from apple. If anything goes wrong with them, they replace them since I have AppleCare+.

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
There are fake ones on eBay that work but as posted above you never know when it can go bad. Spending a bit more to have your phone not blown up is more worth it.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I got 2 and they worked well. The end is not as well finished as Apple's, but other than that, I see no difference. I paid $13 for 2 on Amazon.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I stick with Apple to prevent any uncertainty. The price, while arguably high, isn't high enough to sway me towards an unknown third party manufacturer.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
A lot of opinions here.

I have used cheap 3rd party cables for years on all my phones - never had a problem.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Would you put a £20 battery in a Ferrari?

Would you put a £20 bottle of wine in your body? Well, your body is worth infinitely more than a Ferrari, yet you would.

The "Would you put a _some_thing_cheap_ in a _something_expensive " logic makes no sense to me. Less expensive things doesn't necessarily mean unsafe things.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Bought one off ebay since it was 3 bucks and if I didn't work... it's only the price of 2 cheeseburgers.

Works perfectly. I keep it on my bedside to charge my iPad Mini overnight and never had it explode on me... My only worry was that it wouldn't sync properly with my Macbook, but it does. You can feel the quality isn't there though and if it doesn't last more than a few months, oh well. Apple's cables aren't designed well either, I have to attach a pen spring to keep them from fraying.

I attached a few photos comparing the real lightning cable and a fake one. You can see the fake one is more bulky and the tip isn't fully metal with the connection bits, but it's like 3 sheets of small metal surrounding the innards.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Would you put a £20 bottle of wine in your body? Well, your body is worth infinitely more than a Ferrari, yet you would.

The "Would you put a _some_thing_cheap_ in a _something_expensive " logic makes no sense to me. Less expensive things doesn't necessarily mean unsafe things.

That is a silly comparison. A bad cable that causes your macbook to go wrong invalidates the warranty and can potentially irreversibly damage the hardware.

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
I bought 2 more original cable in my case. 1 for home, 1 for car and 1 for
office.

How much we can save by buying those 3rd party cable?

So I can save ~36 bucks but I might have to go through problem and headache... by just checking the reviews from amazon.com... I don't even want to try it...

I don't want to mess up the phone, even it is under 1 year warranty but it is annoying to bring it to the store and swap the phone... re-enter all the email account password... apply a new screen protector...

I upgrade my iPhone every year, so all the original cable will be under Apple warranty~

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
That is a silly comparison. A bad cable that causes your macbook to go wrong invalidates the warranty and can potentially irreversibly damage the hardware.

Yes, a bad cable may do that. But an inexpensive cable does not have to be a bad cable. Take hdmi cables for example. You can pay $50 or $10 for one and a good $10 cable is as good as a good $50 cable. There are many articles written about this.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes, a bad cable may do that. But an inexpensive cable does not have to be a bad cable. Take hdmi cables for example. You can pay $50 or $10 for one and a good $10 cable is as good as a good $50 cable. There are many articles written about this.

A HDMI cable does not provide charging for a battery. The signal is digital, hence why expensive cables are a total con.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
My point is that it is economically feasible to market a $6 Lightning cable. They are not that complicated. Yes, you will be safer buying an Apple cable, but I don't think there is an inherent risk buying cables from 3rd parties if you are a bit careful. Check the feedbacks from other users, and may be not go for the $2 ones.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
The problem is that you can't just choose one from Amazon based on reviews. You also have to know which seller to choose, as the quality can vary a lot. I found one that worked perfectly for me, if you want to try them, and I'm not associated with them at all, I just got lucky.

I made a post about it here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1514180/

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

Actually, his comparison is perfectly apt. Cheap food can kill you. So why would you spend more money on a cable for your iPhone than on food?

Buying cables from Apple is like audiophiles buying Monster cables: stupid and a waste of money.

utahusker

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
Actually, his comparison is perfectly apt. Cheap food can kill you. So why would you spend more money on a cable for your iPhone than on food?

Buying cables from Apple is like audiophiles buying Monster cables: stupid and a waste of money.
Monster Cables are very inexpensive compared to other audio cables.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

This is around the 3rd thread I've seen where you have been burned by saying something that is so off base it should be embarrassing. But please keep it up, it's quite humorous for the rest of us.

Monster Cables are very inexpensive compared to other audio cables.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
This is around the 3rd thread I've seen where you have been burned by saying something that is so off base it should be embarrassing. But please keep it up, it's quite humorous for the rest of us.

OMG, it's called an analogy. Look it up.Next you are going to tell me to buy extended warranties, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.