Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Jiangling Landwind SUV (from China)

If this thing shows up in a country near you...please run away as fast as you can for your own personal safety! The firm that crash tested it said it was the most dangerous vehicle they have ever tested in 20 years! Chinese engineering at it's best! Of course, the media is already saying when these hit the US shores it is going to hurt the domestics even more. Let me ask you? Even if you saved a few thousand buying this over a more mainstream Japanese, GM, Ford, or even Korean SUV is it worth your life?

Here is the orginal story:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22749-1783784,00.html

Of course now Jiangling is defending it. The best line of this whole story is that the Landwind passes "National Chinese Safety Tests" HAHA! That is the best line I have heard in some time. Here is this story.

Improvements to be made:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2005/09/23/afx2241356.html

If you really want to feel scared what will happen when these come to the your country you can view this video. It will actually scare you when you see how flimsy this vehicle is built. (Viewer discretion is advised)

Video 1-
http://www.anwb.nl/published/anwbcm...pg/auto/tests/crashtest-landwind-1-467150.wmv
Video 2-
http://www.anwb.nl/published/anwbcm...pg/auto/tests/crashtest-landwind-2-467165.wmv

I wonder when these will come on US soil???

What is left of passenger compartment after the test attached...

Attachments

• landwind-crash-test-03.jpg
    landwind-crash-test-03.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 279
  • landwind_crash.jpg
    landwind_crash.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 778

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
PlaceofDis said:
awww shucks, the video links aren't working for me...
All the links are truncated with ... in the middle. Abercrombieboy, any chance of fixing them? Thanks!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I reposted the links of the video. Try them now and let me know if they work. Honestly, I have watched a lot of crash test videos from every company that builds cars and I have never seen anything come apart like this in a crash! When you see the inside shot of the vehicle with the steering wheel and dashboard flopping all over the place and coming back onto the driver, um, that is not suppose to happen in any decently designed vehicle in a 40MPH test.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yeah, you would certainly be dead, especially after seeing the clips, thanks for fixing them.... if thats was the problem or whatever.

i hope this doesnt make it over here...

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
PlaceofDis said:
yeah, you would certainly be dead, especially after seeing the clips, thanks for fixing them.... if thats was the problem or whatever.

i hope this doesnt make it over here...

That is what I was thinking. I feel bad for the poor baby dummy in the back seat cause his dummy daddy just died in that crash!

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
That thing just crumbled. I don't think that it will even be allowed to be sold over here.

Eventually though, I think that the Chinese will end up making some pretty decent cars. Should give Japan a run for their money. The big 2.49 are going to have to step up.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
yikes that's some scary ****. I give the chinese 5 more years in R&D before they make a killer SUV deal.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
evoluzione said:
they'll never make it into the states or europe with that level of safety surely. are there regulations and such to prevent cars like this being available?

They are starting to market them in Europe right now. I think I have all the links now fixed on the first post. Let me know if they don't work. Thanks.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I doubt that thing (which looks oddly like the previous generation Jimmy/Blazer/Bravado/etc. from the side...) would ever pass the U.S. Gov't tests. And then if the IIHS got their hands on it, every magazine and newspaper would be reporting how crap it is.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Scary, scary stuff. There's talk Australia is going to start sourcing more cars from our Chinese neighbours. :eek:

Is it just me or does the embarrassed emoticon look like it's in a Chinese car and it's heading for a brick wall, very fast?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
That is unbelievable...

I'd rather be in a Model T - at least I'd be ejected from the car instead of having my face ripped off by the dashboard... :(

Don't buy cars from a country that is attempting to check its population growth. They might skimp a bit on the safety features...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This horrifies me. I'm curious as to why they won't scrap this for good and start over.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Holy smokes. That thing got ripped down to its original parts. Buyer be ware indeed... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.