Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryvius

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Hey there,

I'm about to buy a new 15" Powerbook -- I understand pretty well the limitations (both hardware and buying one at this moment in time).

However, I'm interested in hearing from people with experience their thoughts on which games perform well on newer revision Powerbooks and which do not to get a better idea of how much fun I can have after work's done. :)

Specifically, the game's I'm interested are:

C&C Generals
Homeworld 2 (my favorite game -- I've been trying to track down how well this performs on Apple notebooks for quite some time)
Doom 3
UT2004
Jedi Academy
X2: The Threat
Neverwinter Nights

If anyone's played these games on a similar system, I'd be grateful if you could give me the lowdown.

-- Ryvius

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
The only ones I really have a problem with are C&C: Generals and Doom 3. Generals runs ok, but it really chops when there are a lot of units or during a Nuke blast. Doom 3, nothing needs to be said..it's a beast of a game...simply run it at a lower res with some of the effects off. Homeworld, Jedi games, and others run great.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
I would not try to play Doom 3 on the road. I will make your Powerbook very hot. I suggest if you are mainly going to use it as a gaming PC, Get a iCurve and a iLap. When I had my TiBook, they worked very well. It is a good alternative to buring your knees and melting your desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.