Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostInTheTrees

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I have been having an issue with my new Verizon iPhone 5 which has been going on for weeks now. I went through various upgrade issues including having to swap out my first iPhone 5 which was defective. My second 5 now will not receive iMessage texts. I suspect it will not do Facetime either. Many apps, apparently all those which use Push Notifications post an alert when I start them up that I must "connect to iTunes to enable push notification". Needless to say I have spent much time trying to find a place in iTunes to get this message to go away. Also, in Settings for iMessage and Facetime, it says "Waiting for Activation". It has been waiting for a couple of weeks now.

I visited the Apple store today and the "Genius" told me after some investigation that this is a Verizon problem. He said that Verizon is blocking the activation message for push notifications. It makes sense to me that the iMessage and Facetime issues are really push notification issues too. He said every Verizon iPhone user is affected by this. I find that hard to believe, as the uproar would be deafening if that were the case. Since he knows of another person with the same issue, it must be fairly common. OTOH, my wife purchased an identical phone at a different time and it does not have the problem.

My questions are

Is this really correct?

Are others having this same issue?

When will this be fixed?

Is there a place where information on this problem is being posted?

-Bob

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The Facetime and iMessage activation depends on Push Notifications already being activated.

It's definitely not Verizon's fault.

I suggest that you back up your iPhone and restore from that backup.

Push Notifications should have been activated when your iPhone was activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.