Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MactheNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
i am new to mac and this is my first desktop mac computer.

i am going to attempt to install a 240gb intel ssd 335 series into the mini,

it is 9.5 thick, will that be a problem? i have heard the minis are hot, but i really dont know more than some people saying they run hot, should i return it and get a thinner drive for that reason is what im asking.

could it be paired with the exisiting hdd to make a fusion?

is it relevant to get extended apple care if i hack my computer up?

thanks
i just got it today, and it is beautiful, i am using the track pad, and that is great too, it has been a good start to the relationship to the mac
nate

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
it will fit and while it is technically a void of your warranty if you put it back to stock in case of repair who is to say it was ever in the machine in the first place

MactheNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
thanks to you both,

i was concerned that there was something akin to a water sensor on phones to establish how it had been damaged,

it is a slick machine, i have been a windows boy for about 20 years now, once you go mac you dont go back ?

merry xmas

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I just put an Intel 330 180GB SSD in my new Mac Mini (Late 2012), and it fit perfectly in the lower slot in the bracket.

And when I booted up from an external drive with my cloned OS X 10.8.2 installation and ran the GUI version of Disk Utility, it decided that my SSD + stock 500GB HDD were a "broken" Fusion Drive and offered to "repair" them into a working Fusion Drive. I verified everything using the Terminal diskutil, but Disk Utility did all the work for me.

I hope that I never have to take the SSD back out to send it in for warranty work. :|

John

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
I just installed a 256gb SSD in my 2010 mac mini server this morning. I put it in the bottom slot. It's a delicate process, due to the tiny sensor wires and connectors that you have to work with, but it is well worth the effort. My mini is so much snappier now. Apps launch much faster and boot times are shorter. The 2010 is sataII so your new sataIII mini will be even faster. I can see why SSD is the preferred storage choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.