Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Always leery about non sanctioned lightning cables from China. Most likely, you get what you paid for. Not to mention how safe they are for phone.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Always leery about non sanctioned lightning cables from China. Most likely, you get what you paid for. Not to mention how safe they are for phone.
I got a cable from eBay few weeks ago for $7. Works like a charm.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
It never ceases to amaze me that people will pay at LEAST $200 for a device and then refuse to pay $20 for a cable that is official and is known not to cause problems.

That is my grinch thought of the day. Merry Christmas!!

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I was actually going to post this deal but the last time I posted I got some type of infraction. :rolleyes: These cables work, they are only 1-sided. Its a good deal, reflects the true cost of the cable.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Got a 3 dollar lightning cable from eBay. Works perfectly - both sides work, charges like normal and syncs like normal. I've had good luck with eBay cables and the 5 dollar 30pin cable I bought from ebay survived longer than the official Apple one.

You can feel the quality isn't there though, the wire is thinner and the connector portion doesn't feel as 'solid'. I still keep bedside for those times I'm about to fall asleep and don't want to get up to grab the cable from my Macbook.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
It never ceases to amaze me that people will pay at LEAST $200 for a device and then refuse to pay $20 for a cable that is official and is known not to cause problems.

That is my grinch thought of the day. Merry Christmas!!

Why? It's like saying you're amazed that people would get extra RAM for 30 bucks and install it themselves instead of paying Apple 200 bucks for the RAM+installation...

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Most likely, you get what you paid for.

Exactly. The price of a data cable should be less than 5$, that's what you pay, and that's what you get - a cable. And surprisingly, it works as well as a cable should.

20$ for a cable is outrageous.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Exactly. The price of a data cable should be less than 5$, that's what you pay, and that's what you get - a cable. And surprisingly, it works as well as a cable should.

20$ for a cable is outrageous.

Until you get a bad one and it damages your iphone, and you find out Apple won't cover the repair.

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
A very bad comparison, not until you can buy a no-brand hdd or ram with NO WARRANTY.

And yes in one of my experience, for the Hp 8300 desktop, you must get the HP certified ram, I had the Crucial(also a name brand and I selected the HP 8300 system on the web to purchase) and it keep crashing the OS...

Why? It's like saying you're amazed that people would get extra RAM for 30 bucks and install it themselves instead of paying Apple 200 bucks for the RAM+installation...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
A very bad comparison, not until you can buy a no-brand hdd or ram with NO WARRANTY.

And yes in one of my experience, for the Hp 8300 desktop, you must get the HP certified ram, I had the Crucial(also a name brand and I selected the HP 8300 system on the web to purchase) and it keep crashing the OS...

Okay. If you'd see a Lightning cable for two bucks with two years warranty, would you buy it?

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Until you get a bad one and it damages your iphone, and you find out Apple won't cover the repair.

I don't see how a cable is going to damage your phone. The only risk you run buying these cables are if they work or not and how long they last.

It's not like the cable is going to overload the iPhone with voltage or something - doesn't the powerbrick control that?

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Everybody is saying this without any prove. Show me one person that a non-OEM cable damaged his or her iPhone. Please, I'm waiting.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Everybody is saying this without any prove. Show me one person that a non-OEM cable damaged his or her iPhone. Please, I'm waiting.

Well just go through the images that other customers have uploaded from your link.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
From that Amazon link:

419LmmyW0IL.jpg

Yeah, I really want that plugged into my £700 phone. Those cable's look like incredibly poor quality (check some of the close up photos that people have posted, not the sellers official photo (which is a genuine apple cable).

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I'm a little gun shy after my eBay lightning cable experience. Basically the cable did nothing. No synch, no charge. The build quality was real suspect too. The Lightning end was crooked coming out of the plastic end pc.

I painfully plopped down the $29 for the official Apple 30 pin to lightning connector. Yeah, Apple got me again. :)

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Yes, if that is Apple certified, like these.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/iphone/iphone-5/lightning-connector-cables

But I will still go for Apple brand if I only save... 10%...

I have very good experience with Apple accessories warranty, next day air to ship the item to you FIRST and free next day return label after you received the replacement.

As for Belkin, they make the customer pay for the shipping to return and of course I would go for ground/first class, and the whole process would like ~1-5days shipping + 1-2days processing from their warehouse + 1-5 days for shipping... If you only have 1 charging cable, I guess none of the smartphone can last longer than 1-2 days with regular usage.

Okay. If you'd see a Lightning cable for two bucks with two years warranty, would you buy it?

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
We all use cheap USB cables all the time - micro USB and such. There's no brand names for those either. I'm sure all of you that has a car that's worth 20+ times an iPhone aren't going to the dealership to repair your cars, but are going to a shop that uses aftermarket parts.

Either way the the cheap eBay lightning cable I'm using hasn't damaged my iPad Mini in anyway so unless there's proof that it actually damages an iPhone or iPad, I'm not buying something not needed. I see a lot of them simpily not working, but none saying it damages the iPhone/ipad.

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Feel bad for this guy... Even tho we don't see the damage on his phone...

In this case, if the guy from Genius bar found there is physical damage for the port... I guess there is no warranty for him.

2012-12-25%2008.44.28%20pm.png

Couldn't notice there any damaged iPhone.

----------

This is what I concern the most... I don't want anything in my home catch fire... or smoke... :eek:

2012-12-25%2008.50.19%20pm.png

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
[/COLOR]This is what I concern the most... I don't want anything in my home catch fire... or smoke... :eek:

I get that warning sometimes even when using the official apple cable. Only when my iPhone and iPad are both connected to my Macbook though or an external harddrive that draws power.

But hey, if you want to feel safe using an official product go ahead, that's your decision. I feel safe using 3rd party ones and until I see solid proof - not speculation that it does damage the iPhone/iPad, I'll continue using them. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.