Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
So, here I am, a loyal Parallels costumer for several years now, have sent in many complaints and questions on the Parallels forums for a simple problem. Parallels tools, specifically sound, does not work with Windows versions prior to Windows 2000.

This is ridiculous, as these operating systems are advertised to work with Parallels, without noting that sound is not supported.

My question to you guys is, does sound, and other basic features, work, and work well, with Windows 98 or Windows 95, with VMWare Fusion 5? Does anyone have it installed and can give me the rundown on how well it works?

Thank you very much, as usual, MacRumors! Merry Christmas!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It works in VMware Fusion 4.X. Haven't tried 5.X. I do seem to recall installing a different driver to get it working. I also seem to remember trying out Windows 9X on Parallels, Fusion, and Virtual Box with Fusion having the best compatibility.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
It works in VMware Fusion 4.X. Haven't tried 5.X. I do seem to recall installing a different driver to get it working. I also seem to remember trying out Windows 9X on Parallels, Fusion, and Virtual Box with Fusion having the best compatibility.

Do you mean you had to install a different driver for Fusion?

Also, is it possible, if that is the case, you can give me the name of that file so I can see where I can find it?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
In the Windows VM, you had to install some different drivers to get sound working with the Fusion machine. I don't recall the driver name, but it was a fairly common one.

AKERDoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Eagle River, AK
Did sound ever work in Fusion with Windows 95?

Do you mean you had to install a different driver for Fusion?

Also, is it possible, if that is the case, you can give me the name of that file so I can see where I can find it?

Did you ever get Windows 95 to recognize sound in Fusion

I am trying to see if I can install Windows 95 to run some old Carmen SanDiego games.

Thanks for any response.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Did you ever get Windows 95 to recognize sound in Fusion

I am trying to see if I can install Windows 95 to run some old Carmen SanDiego games.

Thanks for any response.

I never tried Fusion; as far as I know, sound is supported in Fusion but not Parallels.

Parallels, Inc. can kiss my ass. They have a fantastic program (much better than VMWare for CAD work and such), but as a company just a bunch of moneygrabbers.

Go for Fusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.