Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Is this a picture of the box from powerbook revision A (400 or 500mhz) or revision B (550 or 667mhz)? Thanks, David, this is really important, maybe the power cables will lend a clue.

Attachments

• power1.jpg
    power1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 9,603

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
do you have another picture, preferably with other section to the power cable? That would immediately give away which model it is. If the power adapter is round then it's a revision a powerbook. If it's kind of square, then it's a revision b. From the pictures you've shown so far though it's probably impossible to tell the difference.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
What does it say on the box???? Apple lists the important information there, listing the speed and such. That will tell you what you are asking.

Trying to get people to tell you what speed TiBook that is from the two images is assinine. If there is nothing on the box (must have been removed by someone) then open it up, power it on and check the spec's under the Apple System Profiler.

Another location is in the well where the battery goes. It will have the serial number amoung other things, like speed.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Re: I need help, can you identify which powerbook model this is from, revison A, or B

Originally posted by DavidCL23
Is this a picture of the box from powerbook revision A (400 or 500mhz) or revision B (550 or 667mhz)? Thanks, David, this is really important, maybe the power cables will lend a clue.

Send the Powerbook to me, and I'll e-mail you of which model it is... :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: I need help, can you identify which powerbook model this is from, revison A,

Originally posted by crassusad44

Send the Powerbook to me, and I'll e-mail you of which model it is... :D

Excellent suggestion... I wish I had thought of that one. LOL

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
It's definitely a Rev A

The section of power cable in the styrofoam belongs to a Rev A powerbook. The translucent round dealie at the bottom of the right compartment in the first image is the giveaway. That dealie plugs into the bottom of the Rev A PBG4's power yo-yo. Rev Bs don't come with yo-yos. They have the same little white brick as the new iBooks.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Are you going to buy this PB or do you already have it? If it costs under $1800 then it's prolly a rev a. The box might have a DOM sticker (Date of Manufacture) if it's before Oct 2001 then it's a PB rev A. The most important thing we need to know is if you have it in your position or not.

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
what?

This is an exciting forum.
Next week we will have a quiz where you have to tell which style of Lands End mock turtleneck Steve Jobs is wearing. Is it the faux egyptian cotton or the polyester wal-mart mix?
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......

BiG™

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle
It's a Rev. A.....

Though I couldn't tell you if it is a 400Mhz or a 500Mhz. Apple moved from it's saucer like power supply to the iBook-inspired power supply between revisions.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Thanks guys, no I do not have this laptop in my posession, a friend of mine has it in Cali, and wants to send it to me instead of a payment he owes me($2100), he is unwilling to turn it on etc... And I am not sure weather to take it or not.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Have him send you a picture of the side of the box that lists the model and speed information. If it is a 500MHz or 550MHz, then it might not be bad for an exchange. I wouldn't take it if it is a 400MHz, if it is a 667MHz, then grab it.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
dont mean to change the subject..because this guy needs some help and i hope he gets it because he needs to get his moneys worth....

but how long is that 667mhz powebook going to be the top end mac?
how long will it only be a combo drive thats at the high end?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
It will be the top end, until Apple releases faster ones. That is typically at an expo or other event (Seybold, MWexpo etc.).

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
the next expo is tuesday 22 right? in ny right? will they do it there?
after that the next ones in tokyo...right? they might do it there.

i dont know.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The next show is Seybold (Feb. 19-22 in NY) and then MW-Tokyo (March 21-23). Apple has been known to release new products at both events. After that, don't expect anything until MYNY in July.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay...but i hear the consensus is that the new pbs wont come out until AT LEAST six months from now.

i can see all the eyes roll right now...because im sure everyone on these boards is tired of this topic. sorry.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
You guys are totally right, I believe he is trying to pawn off a 400mhz to me, I will demand the money, Thanks a TON for all the help, you guys saved me hundreds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.