Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
  • "Screw the nano," said Zander. "What the hell does the nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs? People are going to want devices that do more than just play music, something that can be seen in many other countries with more advanced mobile phone networks and savvy users," he said.

article

Wow-the moto/itunes relationship really must have fallen apart towards the end. Apple/Jobs clearly weren't into it when it was introduced (rightly so, since the ROKR seems far from Apple's usual standard of user-friendliness). And now Moto is sniping at Apple for it's new product. Ugly.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Le Big Mac said:
  • "Screw the nano," said Zander. "What the hell does the nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs? People are going to want devices that do more than just play music, something that can be seen in many other countries with more advanced mobile phone networks and savvy users," he said.

article

Wow-the moto/itunes relationship really must have fallen apart towards the end. Apple/Jobs clearly weren't into it when it was introduced (rightly so, since the ROKR seems far from Apple's usual standard of user-friendliness). And now Moto is sniping at Apple for it's new product. Ugly.

As if you were hoping for happy and friendly after switching processors lines... I bet they wouldnt apple brand it because they are done with moto based devices.

I bet Apple limited the song amount on purpose. Maybe they want to release their own phone, fully unlocked gsm/3g... for only $499 with a 4 gig flash card and rear sided nano built in... tell them I want a few mil for the idea too. Business in the front, part in the back, the Apple iMullet.

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
"People are going to want devices that do more than just play music"

Right, like look at photos. They also seem to like things that are nice and small, not the size of the first mobiles from the 80s.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^^ i dunno about that. my cousin has the older black version of this phone, and i love it. outta my price range though (dont want a contract phone, max £130). its a fantastic phone without iTunes support. its a strange novelty phone with iTunes support.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
I think that the phone is super ugly, the itunes phone i mean. It just does not look preetty. now the nano.....thats what im talking about. steve should have made the nano also a phone. im sure mostly everyone would drool over that.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
They first design ugly phones and they blame it on Apple, WTF. I hope Apple is going to design their phones and Moto produce them, that would show them how it is done.

d00kie

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
I was suprised with the boring look of the ROKR when moto themselves have designed the RAZR and SLVR. If you plan on latching onto something like the iPod, put a lot more into R&D. I heard the ROKR must switch between music player and cellphone.

But Moto's user interface still remains as one of the uglier ones out there...ugh

IIRC the upcoming V3X has trans-flash capability for mp3 playback. I think moto just wants to quickly cut off its relationship with Apple.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
The ROKR is an OLD phone. They made a new flex/flash for the E398 and added ONE button. They just remade a phone and added itunes. This is exactly what they did with the V60 (STILL NOT DEAD AND ITS BEEN OVER 3 YEARS)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
paperinacup said:
The ROKR is an OLD phone. They made a new flex/flash for the E398 and added ONE button. They just remade a phone and added itunes. This is exactly what they did with the V60 (STILL NOT DEAD AND ITS BEEN OVER 3 YEARS)

I agree, there are lots of topics on this "new phone" on Howardforums and other Cell phone sites. It is an old device with some simple new software on it.

What many people on those site wished, was that they made a new Razor and put itunes on it, with lots of memory. but , yeah.. they didn't

d00kie

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
Yea, a RAZR with iTunes integrated into it would be great.

Zander is definitely pissed at the nano's success. He's probably mad at Apple for stealing the show- like the ROKR would be a hit if the nano wasn't revealed. It seems to me that all Apple did was hey, we'll let you produce software that will allow your cellphone to connect to iTunes and download music into the cellphone.

The ROKR looks like Motorola wasn't serious about the partnership. They were coming out with new phones which would be a better choice for the platform. ITNS SLVR? Now we're talking. Sleek and thin; it would be the nano with cell phone capabilities.

AmericanIdiot12

macrumors regular
first off...the rokr is ugly...if i was in the market for something like that id take the sony ericsson walkman phone any day

id rather had a dedicated phone and a dedicated music player for the same price than both crappily crammed into one

and uhh...who listens to 1000 songs? well i listen to 1408

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I wanted to wait to comment on the ROKR until I saw one in real life.

Well, I saw one tonight, at the cingular booth in Wal-Mart. It gave me the same reaction in real life as it did when I saw it at the keynote. And that feeling was........."meh."

I mean, it has an iTunes button. It can play songs. Great.

The RAZR is still infinitely better looking.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
d00kie said:
Yea, a RAZR with iTunes integrated into it would be great.

Zander is definitely pissed at the nano's success. He's probably mad at Apple for stealing the show- like the ROKR would be a hit if the nano wasn't revealed. It seems to me that all Apple did was hey, we'll let you produce software that will allow your cellphone to connect to iTunes and download music into the cellphone.

The ROKR looks like Motorola wasn't serious about the partnership. They were coming out with new phones which would be a better choice for the platform. ITNS SLVR? Now we're talking. Sleek and thin; it would be the nano with cell phone capabilities.

It looks to me like both sides gave up on the partnership and didn't put the proper resources into it. But neither side was willing to back out, and pay whatever penalty they would have to (or lawsuit or whatever). So both did the minimum to comply with the agreement, so they could deliver to Cingular as promised. and what we see is a clear result of that. Too bad.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
AmericanIdiot12 said:
first off...the rokr is ugly...if i was in the market for something like that id take the sony ericsson walkman phone any day

id rather had a dedicated phone and a dedicated music player for the same price than both crappily crammed into one

and uhh...who listens to 1000 songs? well i listen to 1408
I have almost 6000 on my iPod/in my iTunes library, (I should really get around to adding the other 500 odd CDs into there, but I doubt I would listen to that many). I also have a Sony Ericsson k750i and it acts as a great flash based mp3 player. I even plan on getting a 1GB Memory Stick Duo and using it as an exercise mp3 player, that is until the nano comes down in price a lot.

the only pain is converting my aac files to mp3 just for that device. How I crave for aac compatibility, (which I read is on one or two new SE models, liek the k608i, but that must have been some mistake).

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Come on, be fair. Motorola produced one of the best ever processors in the G4. Since apple have switched to Intel, this just stinks of sour grapes though.

I have never liked their phones though, same with Nokia. I have always been a Siemens and Sony Ericsson man myself.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
So they now say it was a joke. But who here believes them?

The worst mistake, (other than letting Motarola design the thing, not Professor Ive), was the song restriction. Sure most people using their phone as an mp3 player don't want/need more than 100 songs on there at any given time, but it should be their choice. They will both need to buck their ideas up if apple are going to survive into the next few years. Most expect mp3 enabled phones will slowly take over from dedicated devices and so if apple want to remain on the hardware side, and not just a music store, they will need to get people onside.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
steve_hill4 said:
Come on, be fair. Motorola produced one of the best ever processors in the G4. Since apple have switched to Intel, this just stinks of sour grapes though.

I have never liked their phones though, same with Nokia. I have always been a Siemens and Sony Ericsson man myself.

Let's be fair. AltiVec is the best part of the G4 and those applications which can't or don't make use of it have performance problems. The G4 is not one of the best ever processors--it's one of the worst. Clock for clock, the recent IBM G3s (800 MHz and up) are faster than Motorola's G4s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.