PDA

View Full Version : My New Powerbook gets REALLY hot

BiikeMike
Sep 26, 2005, 11:23 AM
Is this an ongoing problem? I have a 15" Pbook, gig of ram, 1.67ghz G4, 128 megs vid ram.

Sometimes it gets so bad that I think i'm gonna burn my legs. Is there a remedy to this? Is it only to get one of those laptop USB fan stands?

Applespider
Sep 26, 2005, 11:26 AM
Keep it on 'automatic' rather than 'highest performance' unless you're doing something really intensive.

They're really designed to sit on a hard surface to help dissipate heat evenly rather than on a lap. I bought a glass heatproof chopping board (with a funky pattern) which mine sits on when I'm using it on my lap - keeps the heat off my legs and the fans come on less often on the Powerbook too.

katie ta achoo
Sep 26, 2005, 11:31 AM
Is this an ongoing problem? I have a 15" Pbook, gig of ram, 1.67ghz G4, 128 megs vid ram.

Sometimes it gets so bad that I think i'm gonna burn my legs. Is there a remedy to this? Is it only to get one of those laptop USB fan stands?

Yea-- I agree with AppleSpider. Processor to Automatic (click on the battery icon and go to "energy saver" It's under options.)

Also, if you DO burn yourself, It'll go away.

I've burned my thighs more times than I can count, and the little burn marks always go away after a day or so.

...one time the little burns stayed for 3 days, though.. Maybe I'm just a sissy.
I bruise like a peach.

mpw
Sep 26, 2005, 11:44 AM
...I've burned my thighs more times than I can count, and the little burn marks always go away after a day or so...

Please katie stop it! I am NOT a stalker but how come every post from you puts images in my head that your mother wouldn't like!

katie ta achoo
Sep 26, 2005, 12:00 PM
Please katie stop it! I am NOT a stalker but how come every post from you puts images in my head that your mother wouldn't like!

Shhhh!

It's not like I'm on the drive way washing the car in daisy-dukes.
Oh, I fear for the neighbors if I ever do that.. Someone would call the cops. "Uhm.. we have a beached whale on top of my neighbor's camry" and turns out I would have just fallen asleep. Stupid neighbors.
Always calling animal control on me.

Hahaha, or I'm not iKlear-ing my PB in the driveway... Aahhahaha

and stop that!

and Mmmm... OT:
Maybe some type of steel pantaloon would help with the burning. A suit of armor? the heat would spread, right? HMMM.....

/TO THE PATENT OFFICE!
//Product: PowerBook pants
///???
////PROFIT!!!

mpw
Sep 26, 2005, 12:14 PM
...It's not like I'm on the drive way washing the car in daisy-dukes....
OMG :D :o :o

wrxguy
Sep 26, 2005, 12:24 PM

I have used the USB fan stand from Targus and it works awsome...it keeps it very cold...cheap and worth your money...but if you are using an external keyboard i would sugest using an icurve but for other situations...get the targus stand its awsome

katie ta achoo
Sep 26, 2005, 12:26 PM
OMG :D :o :o

Ah, shut up.

remember the whole beached whale, camry thing?

maybe some type of protective BOAT would help the powerbook..

Then, your powerbook would be the pirate, not you..

HMMMM....

I'm FULL OF IDEAS!

**EDIT**
and maybe like, it could have an integrated USB thinggiee, so your Shuffle can be the first mate or pirate wench! YOU CAN DRESS IT UP AND PUT A PARROT IN THE HEADPHONE JACK!

I am a genius!

BiikeMike
Sep 26, 2005, 02:10 PM
Hmm.... Now I'm not so worried about how hot my powerbook gets, but moreso about what katie ta achoo looks like in Daisy Dukes :D

katie ta achoo
Sep 26, 2005, 02:25 PM
Hmm.... Now I'm not so worried about how hot my powerbook gets, but moreso about what katie ta achoo looks like in Daisy Dukes :D

blah! Y'alls dumbs

...and I'm at the genius bar, waiting for them to see if my PB is overheating or what.

I shouldn't get burned!

Agghhh!

I asked someone and his advice:
WEAR PANTS

Gah!
I can't believe they get paid to tell me crap like this. :rolleyes:

crazydreaming
Sep 26, 2005, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think that my 15" PB has gotten hotter since I put in the 1.5GB Ram. Maybe it's just because things are being done faster. IDK

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Scottyk9
Sep 26, 2005, 02:40 PM

The case of the PB is a huge heatsink - it dissipates all the heat internally to the outside environment. Thus, it is not surprising that the case is warm - it should be if you are using it.

The other interpretation of your question is that the internal components are too hot. These are monitored, and your Mac should shut down before reaching dangerous temperatures. If you are curious, you can download Temperature Moniter to check these out.

BiikeMike
Sep 26, 2005, 02:48 PM
The case of the PB is a huge heatsink - it dissipates all the heat internally to the outside environment. Thus, it is not surprising that the case is warm - it should be if you are using it.

The other interpretation of your question is that the internal components are too hot. These are monitored, and your Mac should shut down before reaching dangerous temperatures. If you are curious, you can download Temperature Moniter to check these out.

A HA! Thats how they make it so thin! no internal heat sinks:)

Where do you find the temperature monitor? not that I think somthing is wrong, just because it would be cool :)

iDM
Sep 26, 2005, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the club, my 15" gets insanely hot, especially when not in air conditioning during the summer. I have actually been worried about burning my legs as well, and the whole mentioning of laptops raising the temperature of "your boys downstairs" and how this may potentially kill part of "your swim team" it scares me even more. I suggest when doing laptop computing you turn down the processor, close as many programs as possible and eject any dvd or cd. Better yet I would suggest putting something hard(seriously no pun intended) and solid that will allow airflow to your Pb. Putting it on say like a pillow or cushion and then on your lap insulates the heat and can actually heat your laptop beyond it's safe level. Try like a piece of particle board or spare wood(no pun intended) that you can cut to the footprint of your Pb and use that on your lap!

Scottyk9
Sep 26, 2005, 03:07 PM
A HA! Thats how they make it so thin! no internal heat sinks:)

Where do you find the temperature monitor? not that I think somthing is wrong, just because it would be cool :)

versiontracker is your friend.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

also in widget form
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27545

edge540
Sep 26, 2005, 03:24 PM
My 15" Powerbook also gets really hot. The hottest it has ever reached was the other day when playing XIII on my 20" ACD. The Proccessor Bottomside reached 64C and the Powersupply Bottomside maxed at 68.5C. Ever since i have plugged in the external its running hotter. There is actually a very nice hardware monitor that displays not only all the temperature sensors, but the max allowed temperature for some of the sensors and their accuracy aswell.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24043

katie ta achoo
Sep 26, 2005, 03:38 PM

Haha, I just got home from the genius bar and that is exactly what Aaron told me. :)

Stupid punk genius bar personnel. I could have told myself that.
Now, MAKE MY PB COLD!! Agghhh!

gekko513
Sep 26, 2005, 05:32 PM
How about setting the Power Saving to Reduced? Besides from that, I think the only solution is to use Applespider's tips.

MacTruck
Sep 26, 2005, 05:44 PM
I find the best way to keep my powerbook cool on my lap (and this works very well, really cold) is to completely turn it off. Ofcourse you can't see the screen. :(

Jezza
Sep 27, 2005, 08:45 AM
Gotta lurve MacTruck's reply - very funny.

This isn't gonna help you much, but I read on a different post that the iBook range are MUCH COOLER than the power-user Powerbook range.

I recently bought a Powerbook 15" and suffer the heat too. I would have seriously considered an iBook if I'd known about the heat differences.

As I said, doesn't help you much. Sorry.

dank
Sep 27, 2005, 10:51 AM

Try Koolsink. At least look at site, www.koolsink.com. Up to 1.2Ghz with Koolsink, the fan stops completely with Koolsink. When I upgraded to 1.33, fan started once in a while. With current 1.5 Mhz 17" and external monitor plugged in, fan comes on often even with Koolsink but at least I do not burn my finger when I pick up.

nostrum
Sep 27, 2005, 01:00 PM
I've had my 12" PB for 3 months now and only noticed recently that it only starts heating up when I go online. Especially if I'm using a dial up modem.

Laser47
Sep 27, 2005, 02:09 PM
i wouldint worry, almost all of apples laptops run hot, especially the PB's. my ibook gets really hot when im exporting a movie in quicktime the processor backside gets into the high 60's while sitting on a glass desk.

iDM
Oct 16, 2005, 09:37 AM
I didn't wanna start a new thread cause i know how much that bothers everyone, so hopefully this question will not get dropped cause no one clicks on it!

Anyway I've been trying to clean up my iPhoto library and to do that I have been running iPhoto Diet. I have many many pictures(~17K) so running this program looking for duplicates takes FOREVER. I started running it at about 10pm last night EST, and right now it is 10:30am EST. So after 12 hours it still is only about 60% complete.

While running this however i noticed the fan to be running alot. I rarely hear the fan on this powerbook but since running this program i'd say it's been running 60% of the time that I've had iPhoto Diet running. So essential the fans been running for most of the night, which I'm assuming means my processor has been hot ALL NIGHT. It reads right now at 144F or 63C and every time i have checked it its been at 142-144, so finally my question is, is that bad to have my processor at that temp for 12+ hours straight?

I'm not really sure of the normal operating temp but I can't see this being good for my Powerbook. I do not want to experience early aging or a processor dieing on me. Anyone have any ideas??(Write as i typed ideas the fan came on again haha)

P.S. I have the back end propped up and it is on a hard surface, so i'm pretty sure it's getting good air flow, and my room is rather chilly i'd say in the 60s. Oh and I am using the 15" 1.25 FW800 PB so the vents are in the rear which is getting good air flow.

gekko513
Oct 16, 2005, 10:35 AM
iDM ... 63C is quite safe.

iDM
Oct 16, 2005, 10:50 AM
iDM ... 63C is quite safe.

I was hoping so cause it's an hour later then that original post and it's still at about 63C and probably will be for what i'm assuming is going to be 6~8 hrs. Hopefully the program will finish by the time i get home tonight!! Thanks gek!

BiikeMike
Oct 16, 2005, 11:16 AM
My Processor Bottomside is 113 degrees, I just woke up my computer from sleep and its been pretty cold last night