Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pie Chips Salad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Hi I have a mac mini 2.6 ghz 16gb ram 2012 server with an Asus 27 inch ips monitor connected via thunderbolt to displayport.. Ive noticed that with netflix the fullscreen playback is choppy. My internet connection seems fine and youtube videos play fine even in 1080p not choppy. The browser ive been using is safari which I thought was supported.

Is this microsoft silverlight issue? Or graphics? or internet?

Last one seems unlikely.

I have the advanced hardware setting in silverlight switched on.

Anyone with a late 2012 mini have similiar issues with Netflix or not? Thanks

jpxdude

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
I have the exact same Mac Mini configuration as the OP, and was watching back to back Netflix with my family last night with no problems. Maybe your net connection?

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Sorry pal, no problems either. Try and swap out wires, use different connections, see if that changes anything.

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
I suspect a silver light problem. I have a mac mini 2.6 quad, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD using a 50 Mb/s internet and the playback is very crappy on Netflix when I compare it to Netflix on PS3 or on Apple TV. I mean it is night and day difference. The audio playback sucks immensely too, super compressed and no dolby digital.

The new mac mini is more than capable to deliver because my Itunes HD rentals are stunning so I am ruling out hardware limitations.

Netflix heavily limits the streaming bandwidth to browser based users. I will be trying to install windows 8 on my mac pretty soon so I wont be able to confirm my suspicions yet of bad silver-light implementation on Mac OSX.

Pie Chips Salad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I tried a core duo 2010 mac book pro hooked up to my monitor and it seemed to work a lot better. It's running SL also. So I think I can rule out the monitor and connections.

I think it may be a silver light issue. I have tried diff browsers with no real success.

----------

I suspect a silver light problem. I have a mac mini 2.6 quad, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD using a 50 Mb/s internet and the playback is very crappy on Netflix when I compare it to Netflix on PS3 or on Apple TV. I mean it is night and day difference. The audio playback sucks immensely too, super compressed and no dolby digital.

The new mac mini is more than capable to deliver because my Itunes HD rentals are stunning so I am ruling out hardware limitations.

Netflix heavily limits the streaming bandwidth to browser based users. I will be trying to install windows 8 on my mac pretty soon so I wont be able to confirm my suspicions yet of bad silver-light implementation on Mac OSX.

Let me know how it works out for you. I may have to do the same!

jeffsaha

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
I have not really tried to use the browser for Netflix on the Mini, but I have not had any chop issues while running it through Plex to my TV. This may be due to it not using a browser and using an external client app(i.e. Xbox, PS3, etc). I have found that the apps, normally, perform better than browser sourced Netflix.

nicholaseb

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
I had a similar issue using Chrome as my browser. Using Safari fixed it for me. (I have the exact same machine as you.)

Pie Chips Salad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Its very strange i just played a hd movie perfectly thru itunes. But next flix is choppy even at the lowest (good) quality. Safari doesn't make a difference. But hey nevermind I don't really like the selection on netflix anyways. Maybe they will release a better version eventually. Atleast bbc i player, you tube and itunes work flawlessly!

cpjr

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Its very strange i just played a hd movie perfectly thru itunes. But next flix is choppy even at the lowest (good) quality. Safari doesn't make a difference. But hey nevermind I don't really like the selection on netflix anyways. Maybe they will release a better version eventually. Atleast bbc i player, you tube and itunes work flawlessly!

Same issues...

jmonkfish

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014
I noticed that if I get out of fullscreen mode, it isn't choppy anymore. I have a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15", 2.7 GHz i7, Intel HD 4000 1024 MB.

I have this funny feeling that it's playing in the browser window, and when I hit Fullscreen another layer just pops up over other, so maybe the graphics card has to do double the work? Something's screwy.

----------

Okay, switched from Firefox to Safari and it's working fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.